Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2017 2:01 PM
Oct 2013
I think Movies and Series should have separate favorite categories.
As it is, there's a bunch of series I love, but it's very difficult for me to consider a really great series as being better than a really great movie, even one that's a part of the very same series.

I think it would make a lot more sense.
Oct 22, 2017 2:34 PM

Apr 2009
Indeed.
The majority of stand-alone movies hardly have the time to develop everything as a 2-Cour or even a 1-Cour anime has. Seems disproportionate to me.

I wouldn't mind it to be a smaller category, but the idea seems pretty fair.
Oct 22, 2017 2:51 PM

Jan 2014
I could see pros and cons for this, but I guess I could go for it.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 22, 2017 3:01 PM

Oct 2014
You can't imagine just how many times this has been denied. It's not as bad as "add half scores" but it's still been requested a lot of times and never accepted, for good reason. Why would movies get a special treatment anyway? Movies are just other anime. We're not going to have a separate category for every anime type, in fact not everyone has even seen enough ONAs or music videos to construct a top 10 list for them, so what makes movies so special? It's perfectly acceptable to put movies in your favourites list and if you want to go ahead, otherwise keep them in a blog.
Oct 22, 2017 3:11 PM
Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
You can't imagine just how many times this has been denied. It's not as bad as "add half scores" but it's still been requested a lot of times and never accepted, for good reason. Why would movies get a special treatment anyway? Movies are just other anime. We're not going to have a separate category for every anime type, in fact not everyone has even seen enough ONAs or music videos to construct a top 10 list for them, so what makes movies so special? It's perfectly acceptable to put movies in your favourites list and if you want to go ahead, otherwise keep them in a blog.

So I'm assuming you would consider a Top 5 list of both Live Action Movies and TV Series to be a reasonable thing?

Movies and series have different qualities, it doesn't make sense to lump everything together. You don't judge things like pacing the same way for a movie as for a series.
Oct 22, 2017 3:16 PM

Oct 2014
Nuralit said:
zombie_pegasus said:

So I'm assuming you would consider a Top 5 list of both Live Action Movies and TV Series to be a reasonable thing?

Movies and series have different qualities, it doesn't make sense to lump everything together. You don't judge things like pacing the same way for a movie as for a series.
Anidb has a max of 50 favourites that you can use for anything you want. Sure, the pacing in movies is very different, but everything is different. A 100 minute movie and a 100 minute TV series aren't going to feel the same way, but an action anime and a slice of life anime also aren't going to feel the same way. We can't separate everything. If you want more top 10 lists use your blog.
Oct 22, 2017 3:22 PM
Oct 2013
Genre is a much less black & white thing than format. Heck, Genre is often a fanmade thing.
The format of a work is something predefined, the audience can't change it, and so any critique must take it into consideration.
It seems you're slightly upset over this post, by the way. Can't understand why. Relax.
Oct 22, 2017 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
Nuralit said:

Anidb has a max of 50 favourites that you can use for anything you want. Sure, the pacing in movies is very different, but everything is different. A 100 minute movie and a 100 minute TV series aren't going to feel the same way, but an action anime and a slice of life anime also aren't going to feel the same way. We can't separate everything. If you want more top 10 lists use your blog.

Media and genre are two really different things. Therefore, the comparison isn't really appropriate. It's not about how it feel or their genre, it's about the limitations of each media.

Using the "about me" is a half-measure. The problem will still be there. Using the bio just means that you'll close your eyes and pretend that the problem isn't there. That's fine. But I can't agree with the thought that Tv Series and Movies should be rated in the same way. Consequently, it's pretty weird to compare different things and put it together on the same favorite list.
It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Oct 22, 2017 4:03 PM

Oct 2014
ZetsubouZero said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Media and genre are two really different things. Therefore, the comparison isn't really appropriate. It's not about how it feel or their genre, it's about the limitations of each media.

Using the "about me" is a half-measure. The problem will still be there. Using the bio just means that you'll close your eyes and pretend that the problem isn't there. That's fine. But I can't agree with the thought that Tv Series and Movies should be rated in the same way. Consequently, it's pretty weird to compare different things and put it together on the same favorite list.
It just doesn't make any sense to me.
If that's the case I think the categories would have to be "single episode anime" and "multi episode anime" rather than "movies" and "anime that aren't movies". There's no reason why movies should get a special treatment from every single other way of airing anime. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is significantly longer than a huge number of TV, ONA, and OVA series. Anime truly are told in a different way depending on if they were released in one part or if they were segmented into episodes so I can understand having that distinction.
Oct 22, 2017 5:21 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah,
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1668856
No.
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 22, 2017 5:45 PM
Oct 2013

But that thread doesn't really rule anything out, beyond you expanding the idea to absurdity.
Manga, Manwha and Manhua aren't different in the same way that series and movies (or a general category for single-episode/standalone anime, which would also be fine by me) are. Neither are Light Novels and books.
Oct 23, 2017 3:45 AM

Mar 2017
I agree, cause a lot of my favourite anime are actually movies so it'd be great if we had an extra 10 slots to put favourite anime movies in instead of lumping them with normal anime series.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Oct 24, 2017 1:18 AM

Apr 2014
Nuralit said:

But that thread doesn't really rule anything out, beyond you expanding the idea to absurdity.
Manga, Manwha and Manhua aren't different in the same way that series and movies (or a general category for single-episode/standalone anime, which would also be fine by me) are. Neither are Light Novels and books.
Heh what now? What made you think you can split Movies and Anime Series when you can't split those categories?
Please no, You just want to expand your favorite, you are just being greedy.
Just use your "About Me" section. In the end nobody cares about your profile.
Oct 24, 2017 7:44 AM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Nuralit said:

Heh what now? What made you think you can split Movies and Anime Series when you can't split those categories?
Please no, You just want to expand your favorite, you are just being greedy.
Just use your "About Me" section. In the end nobody cares about your profile.

Movies and Anime Series are inherently structurally different.
Manga, Manwha and Manhua have little difference beyond language, and Light Novels and Books also have little difference beyond a convenient name for a book that isn't so dense.

In the end, I don't really care about your edgy self or your incoherent reply.
Oct 24, 2017 7:48 AM

Sep 2017
Here is for movies

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=movie

Here is for series

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=tv

Here is for ova

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=ova

Here is for special

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=special

If it is categories you are talking about then look at that feature.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 24, 2017 8:58 AM
Oct 2013
nymi said:
Here is for movies

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=movie

Here is for series

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=tv

Here is for ova

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=ova

Here is for special

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=special

If it is categories you are talking about then look at that feature.

No, I do know we have that, but I don't get why we have those separate categories but can't really use them separately ourselves in our profiles.
People already make custom "top x" lists with pictures and such, and since we have those separate categories for the highest rated movies and series and such, why shouldn't we be able to rate them separately ourselves?
Oct 24, 2017 9:40 AM

Apr 2014
Nuralit said:

Manga, Manwha and Manhua have little difference beyond language, and Light Novels and Books also have little difference beyond a convenient name for a book that isn't so dense.

Seriously man, you are blindsiding the first part to continue your greediness.
As I said there, if they do that, then they should also separate OVA,ONA, Music and Specials.
Because those also got "different structures". And if that happens it should also reflect the manga database to balance it.
Oct 24, 2017 11:37 AM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Nuralit said:

Seriously man, you are blindsiding the first part to continue your greediness.
As I said there, if they do that, then they should also separate OVA,ONA, Music and Specials.
Because those also got "different structures". And if that happens it should also reflect the manga database to balance it.

The database already works with separated categories as seen above.
This is seriously just an issue of adding a single column to the design.

As for general one-episode works, we've talked about it, read the thread, it's far from an unsolvable issue.

And for Christ's sake, greediness? What's greediness got to do with anything? I'm not making money, I'm just suggesting a layout change in an Anime website. Grow up.
Oct 24, 2017 1:48 PM

Nov 2011
having separate categories for TV series and movies does seem reasonable to me, i agree.
it should also be trivial to implement it (both in programming complexity and time/cost)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 24, 2017 2:09 PM

Sep 2015
Agreed 110%, would be really, really helpful at times
Oct 24, 2017 3:01 PM

Jan 2008
I also want a separate favorite ova, special, music and ona category. Oh and separate each into 43 different lists for each genre.
Oct 24, 2017 4:59 PM
Oct 2013
Paul said:
I also want a separate favorite ova, special, music and ona category. Oh and separate each into 43 different lists for each genre.

Come on, taking it to absurdity is unreasonable.
We've talked about this here, there's a huge difference between a work's predetermined structure when it comes to whether it's a long running series or a single-episode/movie work and something like genre which is often categorized after the fact.
Oct 24, 2017 5:40 PM

Aug 2016
I think we should just add a completely new thing to our favorites "western cartoons" because we don't have one for that. While we're at it let's ago add a favorites list for your favorite memes, memes are a crucial part in everyone's anime watching experience
Oct 24, 2017 5:50 PM
Oct 2013
DancingTheBa said:
I think we should just add a completely new thing to our favorites "western cartoons" because we don't have one for that. While we're at it let's ago add a favorites list for your favorite memes, memes are a crucial part in everyone's anime watching experience

Oh man, what an enlightening argument. You've truly changed my mind about this whole thing, clearly nobody ITT has made that ad absurdum before.
Oct 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Apr 2014
@Nuralit
Seriously you won't stop this huh?
Chavez said:
The following suggestions have already been posted and rejected:
  • "More open spots for favorite anime/manga/character/staff"
    No. If you desperately need more spots, use the blog function.

You just wanted 10 entries on both Favorite on your proposed "TV Series" and "Movies" right? That's greediness.
Okay lets say they did this stupid thing then you are only allowed to have a total of 10 entries on both "TV Series" and "Movies" anime.
That means You are just gonna have 6 "TV Series" and 4 "Movies", etc. But since this is just dumb to expand the columns of profile it won't happen.
Oct 24, 2017 6:36 PM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
@Nuralit
Seriously you won't stop this huh?
Chavez said:
The following suggestions have already been posted and rejected:
  • "More open spots for favorite anime/manga/character/staff"
    No. If you desperately need more spots, use the blog function.

You just wanted 10 entries on both Favorite on your proposed "TV Series" and "Movies" right? That's greediness.
Okay lets say they did this stupid thing then you are only allowed to have a total of 10 entries on both "TV Series" and "Movies" anime.
That means You are just gonna have 6 "TV Series" and 4 "Movies", etc. But since this is just dumb to expand the columns of profile it won't happen.

I won't stop refuting your half assed attempts at criticizing the idea, no.
It's not about number of entries, it's about categorization. It doesn't make sense to rank apples and oranges.

Please, apply yourself. Saying "It's just dumb" is not an argument, especially when this website already has separate categories for the media types of different works in general and just doesn't use them in the profile features.
Oct 24, 2017 6:49 PM

Apr 2014
Nuralit said:

It's not about number of entries, it's about categorization. It doesn't make sense to rank apples and oranges.
Please, apply yourself. Saying "It's just dumb" is not an argument, especially when this website already has separate categories for the media types of different works in general and just doesn't use them in the profile features.
Did you even read what I posted? You just reacted stupidly on my arguments and spew a lot of nonsense. I already said:

Start making points not spewing half brain thoughts you are making. You won't get anywhere if you keep ignoring points.
Oct 24, 2017 6:58 PM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Nuralit said:

Did you even read what I posted? You just reacted stupidly on my arguments and spew a lot of nonsense. I already said:

Start making points not spewing half brain thoughts you are making. You won't get anywhere if you keep ignoring points.

I didn't ignore what you posted. I explained very clearly to you that this isn't about the number of entries, but about proper categorization. The number of entries is up to the administrators. All I'm suggesting is a small layout addition in the form of a column.
I'm sorry about your illiteracy.
Oct 24, 2017 7:24 PM

Apr 2014
Nuralit said:

I didn't ignore what you posted. I explained very clearly to you that this isn't about the number of entries, but about proper categorization. The number of entries is up to the administrators. All I'm suggesting is a small layout addition in the form of a column.
Heh, sorry for not being a Telepath to know what you are thinking because you don't explain yourself clearly.
Up to administrators? It's obviously gonna be a total of 10 entries on both sections you are asking for non-subscribers.
Then waht's next? Someone gonna create suggestions to separate Light Novel and Manga, Directors, Writers, Voice Actors, Animators, etc.?
Lol, I know you don't care about those stuff, but that's gonna happen if they implement this. Because they need to balance the site.
They just can't separate Movies/Films because you want it that badly then ignore the other categories and other DB.
If you still can't understand what I'm saying, sorry. I can't waste anymore time with a stubborn headed like you.
Oct 24, 2017 7:31 PM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Nuralit said:

Heh, sorry for not being a Telepath to know what you are thinking because you don't explain yourself clearly.
Up to administrators? It's obviously gonna be a total of 10 entries on both sections you are asking for non-subscribers.
Then waht's next? Someone gonna create suggestions to separate Light Novel and Manga, Directors, Writers, Voice Actors, Animators, etc.?
Lol, I know you don't care about those stuff, but that's gonna happen if they implement this. Because they need to balance the site.
They just can't separate Movies/Films because you want it that badly then ignore the other categories and other DB.

You don't need to be a "telepath" in order to read a thread.
Everything you're saying here has been covered by others. Movies and single-episode works are inherently structurally different from long-running series, and ranking both together is like comparing apples and oranges.

Everything is up to the administrators. Nothing is "obviously" going to happen, you can only say that if you're a part of MAL staff.

It's not about whether I care about things or not, it's about the differences being relevant enough to warrant separate categorization.
Movies are a major part of anime. Heck, an anime film was the only form of japanese animation to ever receive an Academy Award.

Your slippery slope fallacy doesn't hold ground, the administrators aren't obligated to separate every little thing. Movies are far from little, however, they are the most important form of both animated and live-action media we have today.
Oct 27, 2017 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
@Narulit
> Hayao Miyazaki on favorites.
> Ghibli Movies on favorites.
> Obsessed on Movies made by Studio Ghibli.

No shit Sherlock, you really wanted to separate movies because of "Academy Awards" and Live-Action as reference? really?
This is an Anime Website, MAL doesn't care on what form of media was an Anime was, This is just a listing site and discussions.
Anime Films still falls on Anime as a whole, It can't be split up just because It's getting more money, recognition and awards.
I don't need to be part of MAL just to say it won't be implemented. When you stayed and read on forums you will know it's not gonna work.
This ain't happening. So just go back to lurking around and don't post on forums just to beg for this shit.
Oct 27, 2017 8:39 AM
Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
@Narulit

No shit Sherlock, you really wanted to separate movies because of "Academy Awards" and Live-Action as reference? really?
This is an Anime Website, MAL doesn't care on what form of media was an Anime was, This is just a listing site and discussions.
Anime Films still falls on Anime as a whole, It can't be split up just because It's getting more money, recognition and awards.
I don't need to be part of MAL just to say it won't be implemented. When you stayed and read on forums you will know it's not gonna work.
This ain't happening. So just go back to lurking around and don't post on forums just to beg for this shit.

Your best retort is to check my profile for some sort of fuel for a personal attack?
You know, I'm actually glad we've reached this point. This really proves you have no idea what you're talking about, and don't even have the most basic level of reading comprehension to discuss this properly.

Shit, you're even greentexting in MAL, and doing it wrong with spaces after the arrows and capital letters. You really are a living joke and I'm glad I've come across you.

By the way, there's only a single Ghibli movie in my favorites. Maybe you should actually watch them.
Oct 27, 2017 11:04 AM

Oct 2014
Nuralit said:
Rayzer said:
@Narulit

Your best retort is to check my profile for some sort of fuel for a personal attack?
You know, I'm actually glad we've reached this point. This really proves you have no idea what you're talking about, and don't even have the most basic level of reading comprehension to discuss this properly.

Shit, you're even greentexting in MAL, and doing it wrong with spaces after the arrows and capital letters. You really are a living joke and I'm glad I've come across you.

By the way, there's only a single Ghibli movie in my favorites. Maybe you should actually watch them.
Actually, his points are sound. Sure, movies are made differently than series, but at the end of the day they're all anime and so they can all be judged the same. We don't have different categories for anything else so having this one exception doesn't make sense.
Oct 27, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
Nuralit said:

Actually, his points are sound. Sure, movies are made differently than series, but at the end of the day they're all anime and so they can all be judged the same. We don't have different categories for anything else so having this one exception doesn't make sense.

How's that?
So movies, Tv series, and even theatre should be judged the same?
Then, what's the point on existing so many awards for each media? Oscar (movies), Emmy Awards (Television), and so it goes. If they produce the same product, why do you think they bother on making separate ceremonies?

"Then waht's next? Someone gonna create suggestions to separate Light Novel and Manga, Directors, Writers, Voice Actors, Animators, etc.?"
That's a total slippery slope argument.

Now there,
I've seen some serious shit fallacies here. But I'm asking for the Burden of proof.
I've made a point about judgement cohesion and yet, nobody stated a good point proving the idea as flawed. Show us a good reasons to why that would be bad besides appealing to authority or leave it if you can't make a point by yourself.
Oct 27, 2017 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
@ZetsubouZero
Actually, separating light novels and manga in favourites would be just as logical. After all, one is comic book format at the other is mostly text. MAL's rules does state that you can't ask for more favourites. There actually are awards for the best OVAs so we should have a separate favourites list for those too, right? We don't need specific favourites like this. You can use your blog. This isn't a flaw in MAL's logic, it's a flaw in yours. Just because there are different awards for different things doesn't mean MAL should have separate favourites lists for them. In this day and age where most people watch stuff on the internet anyway it matters less and less where something originally aired.
Oct 27, 2017 2:20 PM
Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Nuralit said:

No they can't. You don't judge live action movies and live action series in the same way, why would you do so for animated ones? It doesn't make any sense.
This kind of thinking enforces a lowest common denominator attitude towards animation. Film and live action series buffs don't throw everything in the same bag, I don't get why anime fans care so little about the art in comparison.
Oct 27, 2017 2:30 PM

Oct 2014
Nuralit said:
zombie_pegasus said:

No they can't. You don't judge live action movies and live action series in the same way, why would you do so for animated ones? It doesn't make any sense.
This kind of thinking enforces a lowest common denominator attitude towards animation. Film and live action series buffs don't throw everything in the same bag, I don't get why anime fans care so little about the art in comparison.
Nothing can be compared, then. Why not just call every anime your favourite of its own little category that nothing else fits into? "You can't compare moe sports to battle harem or shoujo action drama to military yuri so these all need their own categories in our favourites lists". At a certain point you just need to get better at comparing things rather than relying on others to take out the need to develop that skill. People compare SAO to King's Avatar even though SAO is a TV series and King's Avatar is an ONA. It doesn't matter where something originally aired. I can compare Kimi no Na Wa to Rec since they're both romance related anime even though one's a movie and the other is a TV series, in fact they're both around the same length. Akira and Baccano are easily comparable despite being of different type. I could even compare Insterstella5555 to No Game No Life even though one of them is a music video and the other is a TV series. They have a lot of similarities despite having aired in very different ways. We shouldn't be stuck in this idea that where something originally aired dictates what kind of anime it needs to be and what anime it should be compared to.
zombie_pegasusOct 27, 2017 2:38 PM
Oct 27, 2017 2:31 PM

Apr 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
@ZetsubouZero
Actually, separating light novels and manga in favourites would be just as logical. After all, one is comic book format at the other is mostly text. MAL's rules does state that you can't ask for more favourites. There actually are awards for the best OVAs so we should have a separate favourites list for those too, right? We don't need specific favourites like this. You can use your blog. This isn't a flaw in MAL's logic, it's a flaw in yours. Just because there are different awards for different things doesn't mean MAL should have separate favourites lists for them. In this day and age where most people watch stuff on the internet anyway it matters less and less where something originally aired.

Firstly, what's so catastrophic about it?
There's plenty of space to use, and they don't bother to expand lists to VIPs. I have no problem using my blog (as I already use), I'm just here to discuss the proposal and thinking-coherence.
Besides that, the blending that you claim won't exist while the content isn't made entirely for the internet, and even there we would apply the same idea: It would be done by the same logics we discussed before.
Where you watch something doesn't matter at all, but where it originally aired express the entire creation process behind the show and how you value it
Oct 27, 2017 2:37 PM
Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Nuralit said:

Nothing can be compared, then. Why not just call every anime your favourite of its own little category that nothing else fits into? "You can't compare moe sports to battle harem or shoujo action drama to military yuri so these all need their own categories in our favourites lists". At a certain point you just need to get better at comparing things rather than relying on others to take out the need to develop that skill. People compare SAO to King's Avatar even though SAO is a TV series and King's Avatar is an ONA. It doesn't matter where something originally aired. I can compare Kimi no Na Wa to Rec since they're both romance related anime even though one's a movie and the other is a TV series, in fact they're both around the same length. Akira and Baccano are easily comparable despite being of different type. I could even compare Insterstella5555 to No Game No Life even though one of them is a music video and the other is a TV series. They have a lot of similarities despite having aired in very different ways. We shouldn't be stuck in this idea that where something originally aired dictates what kind of anime it needs to be and what anime it should be compared to.

Stop jumping to conclusions and using ad absurdum, it's almost like that's all you're capable of doing.
You can compare anime series and movies if you want, just as I can compare an anime series and a manga series. But as I've told you before, if we come to the conclusion that it's justifiable to have different lists for anime and manga, then we must necessarily admit that format is relevant to whether something deserves a list or not.

The format of movies is unique to them. You can compare different things, but if you want to use the argument that you can just lump everything together, then I can use ad absurdum just like you and say "Why not join all four favorite lists together and just call it your favorite things?"

But it doesn't work that way.
I swear this is just aversion to change.
Oct 27, 2017 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
Nuralit said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Stop jumping to conclusions and using ad absurdum, it's almost like that's all you're capable of doing.
You can compare anime series and movies if you want, just as I can compare an anime series and a manga series. But as I've told you before, if we come to the conclusion that it's justifiable to have different lists for anime and manga, then we must necessarily admit that format is relevant to whether something deserves a list or not.

The format of movies is unique to them. You can compare different things, but if you want to use the argument that you can just lump everything together, then I can use ad absurdum just like you and say "Why not join all four favorite lists together and just call it your favorite things?"

A lot of types have both 1 episode anime and multi episode anime. What would you do about them? Can you compare Fire Tripper to LoGH when one is 1 episode and the other is 110? I personally think you can. Everything is made in a different way. Is it the length that's made you come to this conclusion or something else? Afro Samurai, Madoka Magica, and Eve no Jikan all have movie and series versions that are practically identical. Can these not be compared to themselves just because of how they were released? Can Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi! even be compared to itself when it was originally aired in theaters as a previewing and later properly aired on DVD/blu-ray? What about Red Data Girl and Relife that were originally aired on the internet and later aired on TV? Most anime that air on TV also have disc releases that differ in some ways to the TV version making those edits home video original and therefore incomparable to the original, correct?

No, but seriously, I see no reason to separate anime series and movies. An anime can be broken into as many parts as it wants to and it won't change the story, characters, animation, art, or sound. Also, Anidb has 50 favourites slots which can be filled with anything in the database (ie. favourite things) and that seems to work fine for them.
Oct 27, 2017 2:52 PM
Oct 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Nuralit said:

A lot of types have both 1 episode anime and multi episode anime. What would you do about them? Can you compare Fire Tripper to LoGH when one is 1 episode and the other is 110? I personally think you can. Everything is made in a different way. Is it the length that's made you come to this conclusion or something else? Afro Samurai, Madoka Magica, and Eve no Jikan all have movie and series versions that are practically identical. Can these not be compared to themselves just because of how they were released? Can Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi! even be compared to itself when it was originally aired in theaters as a previewing and later properly aired on DVD/blu-ray? What about Red Data Girl and Relife that were originally aired on the internet and later aired on TV? Most anime that air on TV also have disc releases that differ in some ways to the TV version making those edits home video original and therefore incomparable to the original, correct?

No, but seriously, I see no reason to separate anime series and movies. An anime can be broken into as many parts as it wants to and it won't change the story, characters, animation, art, or sound. Also, Anidb has 50 favourites slots which can be filled with anything in the database (ie. favourite things) and that seems to work fine for them.

As I've already said, I wouldn't mind the list including 1 episode anime, as there is such a thing as a "short film".
You can tell me that a specific series is practically identical to its anime counterpart, but if it's released in a film form it's still going to fall under the notions of what a film should be like in terms of pacing and such, while a series has its own (frequently more lenient) approach to this.

I could use EVA 1.11 which follows in the same general outlines of the series as an example. You can tell me that you liked it better than the original or that you didn't, but it's still a film, it's still constructed as one, and it's still going to be critiqued as a film since that's the format it's in.
You can tell me that the story between a series and a film is the same, but as the structure of a film is different, the same thing is often going to be negatively received in film form if proper care isn't taken.

This seriously is only up for debate in an anime community, there isn't a single serious critic or award ceremony that doesn't recognize what makes films unique and judges them accordingly. If MAL considers "anime industry people" to be relevant enough to warrant a list, it's unfathomable to not consider films as well.

Oct 29, 2017 2:47 AM

Apr 2017
I could not agree more , this would be so helpful

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 29, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
@Narulit,
No shit bro, I'm gonna ask for closure of this thread now.
Your reasoning was so absurd, you can't even understand our point.
And most of all, you are already trying to ridicule me, heck you are worst.

@zombie_pegasus
You can't expect him to understand our point.
He's just gonna repeat what he's saying.
After all nothings gonna get through on his thick skull.

More topics from this board

» small typo

Akuya - 4 hours ago

1 by Alexioos95 »»
4 hours ago

» Recommend me anime with Elves in them.

AngelicSuccubus - 5 hours ago

0 by AngelicSuccubus »»
5 hours ago

» Update anime cover with clean one

kevin_satron - 12 hours ago

0 by kevin_satron »»
12 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

20 by GotSpinz »»
Yesterday, 2:35 PM

» An "Indicator" to see how many episodes behind you are in a currently airing series.

Roscoez - Jun 12

2 by Ateeq625 »»
Yesterday, 4:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.