Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 2010 5:14 PM

Jul 2008
Okay so it is Februrary which is the month of Single's Awareness Day, and although that day has been long gone for quite some time now, I figured I'd go ahead and ask what everyone's favorite Romance/Romance-esque movies are since we did it for horror on Halloween. (Personally I don't watch many romances, that's why I put Romance-esque because some movies have a pretty large love subplot but aren't just romance.) Anyway here's mine:

-The Fountain-A must-see movie, hands down the best romance movie I have ever seen. It was so damn good that right after I finished it the first time, I went to the DVD menu and played it through again, I highly recommend it to everyone out there. Hugh Jackman's best role yet.

-Benny and Joon-A quirky little romance that's just fun to watch. Fans of Johnny Depp need to really see this one, I'm not a huge fan but I must say that this movie is excellent.

-Love Object-Well ... technically it's horror, but the first half is a sweet, if not disturbing, love story that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And then the last half hour is when it all goes straight to hell, but it's totally worth watching, very fun movie.

That's really all I can think of right now, When Harry Met Sally was damn good too, but that's a given.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 23, 2010 6:09 PM

Nov 2006
"Pride and Prejudice". Not only was that a FANTASTIC book, but they did an exceptional job with it as a movie. There are a couple of P&P movies, but I'm referring to the newer one with Keira Knightly playing Elizabeth Bennett. Music was beautiful and simple and the actors/actresses were brilliantly cast. They use old English and that can sometimes be slightly hard to understand, but I would give it a 5/5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2010 7:04 PM

Apr 2008
Harold & Maude - Do I really need to explain this choice? WATCH THE FILM!

Alucard and Seras

Feb 23, 2010 10:53 PM

Jul 2008
My favorite movie ever, "Beat", has elements of romance in it. So does "Full-Time Killer", another film I consider a masterpiece. Usually, the best portrayals of love stories occur in films with other things going on.

Among more romance-centered works, "Gone with the Wind" deserves mentioning, as does "Love Story", and the Korean original of "My Sassy Girl".
Dec 4, 2010 1:21 PM
Aug 2010
1eyedjoker said:
Harold & Maude - Do I really need to explain this choice? WATCH THE FILM!

Awesome film, though the romance was a bit...odd to say the least.

Hideaki Anno's live action film Ritual has some great romance in it.
Jul 4, 2012 1:17 AM
Jan 2009
I don't consider myself to be an unromantic person, but man, I just never like romance in the movies. It's never satisfying to me, and I always end up wishing it wasn't there (even when it's ostensibly the point of the movie, e.g. Blue Valentine). Any effort to capture the depth, nuance and complexity in a subplot within a ~2 hour movie is for all intents and purposes doomed to failure from the start as far as I'm concerned. Novels and TV shows are better suited to the task, and even then I'm rarely satisfied with the results.

I feel like I ought to like romantic fiction - I really do, man! - but it invariably ends up trying my patience. Themes of familial love, friendship or comradery always seem to work out better, and play significant roles in a number of my favorite movies.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Flicks

1eyedjoker - Dec 28, 2008

22 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:06 AM

» Discuss the Last Movie You Watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xMatronxMalicex - Dec 29, 2008

233 by ivorykeys »»
Mar 9, 2011 6:24 AM

» Least favorite movies.

removed-user - Jun 17, 2009

21 by YoungVagabond »»
Jan 10, 2011 11:27 PM

» What's your 'plan to watch' list?

Milk-plus__ - Jan 26, 2009

13 by sunup »»
Jan 10, 2011 3:35 PM

» New Trailer Thread ( 1 2 )

1eyedjoker - Apr 3, 2009

78 by FALLEN101 »»
Feb 27, 2010 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.