Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 31, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2010

[Spoiler for those who have not read Utsuro]

Is it just me but Rezero has influences of Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria?

At first I thought it had NOTHING to do until the end of the arc of the sisters, but then I began to notice some curious details.

Seriously, coming in ep 18 comparisons that in my view, can not be left aside.

Not only the 'Zero' but:

- Protagonist trying to save the one you love
- Protagonist dying several times
- Protagonist who looked good in the beginning it shows bad
- Protagonist going crazy
- Time travel
- Different powers for certain people
- Everything involving the person the protagonist loves
- Busty short hair who loves the protagonist, who was mad but decides to help him
- A powerful entity (witch in Rezero) behind everything that happens (Zero Utsuro)
- Protagonist who lived in their common everyday world and gets caught up in a fantasy world and tries to adapt
- The main heroines have the same sense of justice and egalitarianism, TYPE THE SAME EXACT
- Both are judged by most
- Protagonist try to be the hero to save the one you love
- Heroin that ends up changing his personality (for reasons)
- Protagonist think about quitting but remember the person who loves and creates forces to fight

That's what happened so far, but if the author himself is Utsuro fan, we can predict a lot, a lot of shit ahead with Subaru, but a happy ending or at least bittersweet
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jul 31, 2016 7:30 PM

Jul 2015
Depends, when did the Re:Zero Web Novel Start
Sup...
Jul 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Jan 2010
SenpaiJay98 said:
Depends, when did the Re:Zero Web Novel Start

Utsuro: 2009
ReZero web novel: 2011
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jul 31, 2016 8:29 PM
Jul 2011
Not really those just look like common tropes in fantasy, shounen anime mixed with coincidences and you really stretching some things to find comparisons
Jul 31, 2016 8:51 PM

Feb 2015
Now that you said it, it really gives some vibes (which is amazing cause I love HakoMari).
Jul 31, 2016 10:21 PM

Aug 2013
This thread mentioned the SPOILERS, but I'll just give another warning myself. Don't read this if you have not read HakoMari.

So, most of what you listed happens in A LOT of anime, of all genre, actually.

but, although i think hakomari is WAY darker, i agree there are "major" similarities.

For example: 1) Repetitive Death. Though there are differences in circumstances around how people die and who dies, the repetitive death itself is the biggest comparison. 2) The Memory Reset. When someone dies, memories are reset, with the exception of Some People and the day starts over. This is a major component in the novel. 3) The Psychological impact from dying so many times AND retaining memories that others forget. We see how emotionally scarred Subaru becomes from dying and having everyone forget the good times they JUST had. It even shifts his perspective for a moment. (When killing the enemy became More about Revenge rather than Saving his loved ones. This was the reason for his major fight with Emilia.) We see how dying over and over, and seeing others die, while also having a hand in causing other people's death, affects Maria so much that her entire personality shifts completely. and Kazuki in the last Volume is emotionally and physically DESTROYED from all the suicide AND murder (inside the box). These are some major things about both series that can easily set them apart from other stories

but side note, Zero in Re:Zero is about the mc dying and going back to a specific time, starting over from ground zero. the Zero in "The Empty Box and the ZEROTH Maria" is rly about reverting Maria Otonashi back to her personality before she became a self sacrificing martyr. Reverting her back to the original. the Zeroth Maria.

Would also like to point out the differences in self sacrificing 1) Subaru from Re:Zero. Although Subaru is willing to sacrifice himself for his loved ones, he is Not willing to kill innocent people for it. 2) Maria from HakoMari. Although Maria is hellbent on sacrificing herself for every single person on earth, she doesn't do it out of her own desires. We now know those were the distorted desires she believed her older sister forced onto her. 3) Kazuki. He will sacrifice the entire world to save One person. He literally proved he is above murdering someone for Maria when he tried to kill his classmate.

Much more differences in my opinion, but definitely "big" comparisons :D Both great series!

More topics from this board

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

252 by Merve2Love »»
4 hours ago

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

70 by OmegaMilo »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2016

763 by AnimatedAddict »»
Yesterday, 4:33 PM

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

22 by Brandis_king »»
Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2016

792 by AnimatedAddict »»
May 22, 8:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.