-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
Basically, as soon as I saw the teacher at the beginning, I'm predicting that he's the culprit, my question is, even if you know who the culprit is, will you still enjoy this manga normally or is most of the suspense based on you not knowing who it is?
ShadowZyloFeb 9, 2016 7:00 AM
Feb 9, 2016 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
If was obvious from the start imo when reading the manga. I had that hunch when I saw him appearing for the first time. Then again this series isn't about a murder case but more like if Satoru could understand what happened in 1988 when the murders happen.
You know that scene when Yashiro sensei picked up Satoru and his mom for a ride and then Satoru discovered loads of candies in his car. Well that was like a huge statement saying: "Nah don't bother making hypothesises about who the killer is, he's right there."
So it didn't bother me that much, the only thing that kept me going is to find out how Saotoru was actually going to deal with all this and then the events happened. But ofc people will only care about the killer and only focus on that...
Feb 9, 2016 9:01 AM
Jul 2009
ShadowZylo said:
Basically, as soon as I saw the teacher at the beginning, I'm predicting that he's the culprit, my question is, even if you know who the culprit is, will you still enjoy this manga normally or is most of the suspense based on you not knowing who it is?

Regardless of this fact, you'll enjoy this manga for sure.
Nevertheless, the story has ''that something''.
To be honest it was so gripping that I just couldn't put it down until I caught up. Well, there were developments I didn't like as well, but it was certainly worth my time (there is also the last chapter coming out in March).

KonoYume said:

You know that scene when Yashiro sensei picked up Satoru and his mom for a ride and then Satoru discovered loads of candies in his car. Well that was like a huge statement saying: "Nah don't bother making hypothesises about who the killer is, he's right there."

I couldn't have put it better myself, but in the scene you're talking about it was only the two of them.
SznikFeb 9, 2016 9:26 AM
Feb 9, 2016 9:26 AM

Dec 2015
Sznik said:
ShadowZylo said:

Regardless of this fact, you'll enjoy this manga for sure.
Nevertheless, the story has ''that something''.
To be honest it was so gripping that I just couldn't put it down until I caught up. Well, there was so developments I didn't like as well, but it was certainly worth my time (there is also the last chapter coming out in March).

KonoYume said:

I couldn't have put it better myself, but in the scene you're talking about (when Satoru discovered the candies) it was only the two of them, I mean Satoru and Yashiro.

Yea obviously, her mother was pretty clueless since the murders didn't actually happen in the second timeline and assuming Hinazuki was supposed to be the first victim of Yashiro's list.
KonoYumeFeb 9, 2016 9:30 AM
Feb 9, 2016 9:57 AM
Feb 2016
Kind of predictable, but the manga never tried to be a mystery manga with geniouses that discover the tricks to a crime easily.
Feb 20, 2016 8:09 AM
Nov 2014
Yeah, the killer's identity was easily ascertainable even though the the manga does throw a few red herrings toward the reader. The predictability didn't diminish the manga's enjoyability for me though.

Overall, it's a solid story but nothing spectacular or great.
Feb 21, 2016 2:14 AM

Dec 2015
Do you expect a mind boogling plot twist that could probably make no sense in the story? The series wasn't even meant to be a detective series in the first place. I guess the Op read the manga after seeing the first episode of the anime and thought this was a mystery show. I guess you could say it's more of a supernatural thriller.

One thing that I realised about this series, is that the author tties to add realism to his work. That's something I like very much personally (except for the Revival thing but who cares at this point?)
Feb 21, 2016 3:30 AM
Nov 2014
Nobody said anything about plot twists. In fact, the relatively contained manner of the story's development is what makes it refreshing. This may not be a detective story in the conventional sense but it is, nonetheless, a crime story.

I just don't see this manga as deserving of the veneration it seems to receive. If someone's looking for high quality crime fiction they'd do well to venture outside of the manga medium every once in a while.

On the realism note I respectfully beg to differ, there's more to realism then just a lack of fantastical elements.
Feb 21, 2016 7:09 AM

Dec 2015
The reason it gets more praise is that imo the MC doesnt focus on finding the murderer himself but on changing the lives of those around him: by distancing them from any threaths by protecting them withing his group of friends and completely improving their lives especially Hinazuki's.
Eventhough this series has elements of a typical crime story, it takes itself as a "rewrite the past" story.
Honestly I couldnt care less about how predictable the mystery was. I was more attached to the characters themselves and how (and if) they would live throughout the series.

God damn this series is a page turner!
Feb 21, 2016 9:32 AM
Nov 2014
KonoYume said:
The reason it gets more praise is that imo the MC doesnt focus on finding the murderer himself but on changing the lives of those around him: by distancing them from any threaths by protecting them withing his group of friends and completely improving their lives especially Hinazuki's.

This is hardly anything original. In fact, it's a typically common trope in manga for the protagonist to be selfless.

KonoYume said:
Eventhough this series has elements of a typical crime story, it takes itself as a "rewrite the past" story.

Again, nothing particularly innovative. There have been (and will be) far cleverer plot devices.

KonoYume said:
Honestly I couldnt care less about how predictable the mystery was. I was more attached to the characters themselves and how (and if) they would live throughout the series.

Why are you so fixated on the predictability factor? Firstly, we only claimed it was predictable when it came to the identity of the killer, and not the overall narrative. Secondly, I did mention that it didn't ruin the story's enjoyability.... at least for me it didn't.

KonoYume said:
God damn this series is a page turner!

Agreed, it is fairly engrossing.
gpuxFeb 22, 2016 2:38 AM
Feb 21, 2016 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
KonoYume said:
Do you expect a mind boogling plot twist that could probably make no sense in the story? The series wasn't even meant to be a detective series in the first place. I guess the Op read the manga after seeing the first episode of the anime and thought this was a mystery show. I guess you could say it's more of a supernatural thriller.

One thing that I realised about this series, is that the author tties to add realism to his work. That's something I like very much personally (except for the Revival thing but who cares at this point?)

There us actually very little realism in this story
The hole plot just exists and move forward because of the supernatural aspect the children characters are geniuses that can easily realize something is wrong with satoru and the drama is really overblown
Feb 21, 2016 8:01 PM

Apr 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
KonoYume said:

The hole plot just exists and move forward because of the supernatural aspect the children characters are geniuses that can easily realize something is wrong with satoru and the drama is really overblown

What plot holes?

Feb 22, 2016 1:02 PM

Oct 2014
Z4k said:
gabrielrroiz said:

What plot holes?

i did not said anything about plotholes
Feb 23, 2016 9:38 AM

Dec 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
KonoYume said:

Apart from the fantastic elements, it deals with very mature and realistic themes. There's no denying it.
Feb 27, 2016 8:50 PM

Sep 2013
For me it being predictable has been a major negative on the series. They made is seem like it was going to be the teacher and kept alluding to it being him that I was hoping for it to be a red herring. And while the mystery fell flat, I'm personally not very fond of what happens after the killer is revealed either.
Feb 28, 2016 3:27 AM

Sep 2010
let's face there's a major plot hole they won't answer: how does satoru have his "powers"?

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Feb 28, 2016 5:07 AM

Dec 2015
Xykko said:
let's face there's a major plot hole they won't answer: how does satoru have his "powers"?

Why does it have to be explained? The focus is on saving the people in the past in 1988. It's not about the time travel powers he has. The author gave him this as a means to an end to achieve his goal of the plot moving forward in the story. If you understand that much then it doesn't need to be explained. I mean what will it change for us knowing that in all honesty?
Feb 28, 2016 5:49 AM

Sep 2010
Cejara said:
Xykko said:

Why does it have to be explained? The focus is on saving the people in the past in 1988. It's not about the time travel powers he has. The author gave him this as a means to an end to achieve his goal of the plot moving forward in the story. If you understand that much then it doesn't need to be explained. I mean what will it change for us knowing that in all honesty?

Sure lets give the protagonist a plot armor in order to keep the story going. No one ever complains with plot armor or powers that the MC has for the sake of keeping the plot going

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Feb 28, 2016 6:01 AM

Dec 2015
Xykko said:
Cejara said:

Sure lets give the protagonist a plot armor in order to keep the story going. No one ever complains with plot armor or powers that the MC has for the sake of keeping the plot going

Its been this way since the first episode. My question is, what will change either way if we find out? My answer is, nothing really because the main focus is on saving the people in 1988 plain and simple. Its not some insane asspull, its more of a suspension of disbelief with the author wanting us to understand that in this world the MC can do this for some unknown reason that he feels doesn't need to be explained because the focus of the main story is to save the people in 1988.

I mean what could the author possibly come up with, a god gave him this power, he was hit on his head, something stupid like that. I prefer not to know than having some stupid explanation ruin the mystery behind it. As stated before, not everything needs to be explained and some things that can be explained do not always necessarily need to be.
Feb 28, 2016 6:24 AM

Sep 2010
i'd love to read the manga final chapter and find out that this was actually all in the mc imagination after getting ran over by the truck in episode 1. oh the rage and hatred that would create in the forums

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Kayo and Satoru ever had romantic feelings for each other? ( 1 2 )

Ghoultulhu - Feb 3, 2016

66 by useerrriksujn »»
Jan 19, 6:26 AM

» Does this have any differences from the anime?

S4dnu - Aug 11, 2023

4 by Orbakun »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 10 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Jun 27, 2013

7 by CosmicGirl »»
Jun 11, 2023 11:20 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kagomei - Mar 18, 2016

118 by FakeSpicyApple »»
Apr 4, 2023 4:08 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

20 by MaxiHut »»
Dec 21, 2022 1:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.