Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2009 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shadow Star Narutaru was a pretty entertaining show, all things considered. Unfortunately, the anime introduced to many characters and subplots and really didn't have the time to finish all the plot threads. That being said, this final 2 episode arc was pretty good and kind of disturbing. A elementary school kid, much less Shina's best friend, goes on a killing spree and Shina does her best to stop her.

Overall, i'll have to give the series a 6/10 because of unresolved plots and underused characters. But, Shadow Star Narutaru did have some interesting ideas and was far more than just a shock fest like some people claim.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 16, 2010 7:57 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
That being said, this final 2 episode arc was pretty good and kind of disturbing. A elementary school kid, much less Shina's best friend, goes on a killing spree and Shina does her best to stop her.

That's all you got out of the last two episodes? No wonder you only gave it a 6/10. This wasn't NGE where the final two episodes are spent reviewing all the character's already obvious psychological problems. One of my favorite things about Naru Taru was that it almost never explicitly states what is wrong with a character. These last two episodes were an especially good example. By putting Hiro in almost parallel yet opposite situations it offers us a great opportunity to examine their contrasting personalities.
DrHouseMay 16, 2010 8:10 PM
Jul 31, 2010 6:18 AM

Mar 2009
Wonder who said hi to Shiina at the end.
Jan 14, 2011 10:27 AM

May 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
Wonder who said hi to Shiina at the end.

I'd like imagine it's Akira... (Just trying to convince myself that someone other than the pathologically moronic lead had at least some semblance of a happy ending)
Mar 22, 2011 1:25 AM
Aug 2010
Very good show ,,, but there is a lot missing duing the 13 ep but i think i will read the manga
May 26, 2011 2:31 PM
Apr 2011
Argh. I could handle Evangelion's drop-off ending which left a few things unanswered, but this clearly didn't fit into 13 episodes. It had so much potential but pretty much took a normal plot, beginning middle and end, and just sliced it right in half; ending in the middle.

Hiro reminded me of Higurashi's characters, interestingly. Just that it wasn't her doing the killing, but someone else.

And speaking of Evangelion, when it threw Kaworu into the story relatively late, it was executed at least somewhat well. The opening in Narutaru implies Hiroko was going to be an important character in the series; she enters late and leaves early. Not a smooth execution.

Generally, it seems like it would've been a good series if it wasn't rushed. If each "arc" (if you could call it that, 1-2 episodes with different "arc"-like plots each) was twice as long it'd have been done better.

I'll pity it with the 7/10. But I wonder if the manga actually settles several things.
HaibaneRenmeiFanMay 26, 2011 2:36 PM
Jun 5, 2011 7:38 PM
Jun 2009
Loved the show have to read the manga i herad the sales were not good enough for them to make a 2nd season at the time and the company that made it later went bankrupt but i must say this type of story will you a 10 in my book do to being epiclly fucked up and awsome
Jul 7, 2011 2:51 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
-.- ugh crap enidng -.- felt really unfinished and anime is quite depressing also -.- cant give over 6.. so 6/10
Jul 26, 2011 8:40 PM

Sep 2010
just because they didnt have the money to fill in the gaps doesn't mean the story sucks, use your freaking imagination people. The story was really epic 10/10, but sadly i wished they filled in those gaps, and finished the story :(
Sep 18, 2011 11:14 PM

Jan 2010
This was too short, but for how it played out, Shadow Star Narutaru surprised the hell out of me, even though I already knew of its twist on the "kids with monsters" idea. Giving it a 7/10 for now. Might go up after I figure out what the hell I just watched.

Also, damn the opening for being so catchy and upbeat.
Jun 21, 2012 11:03 AM

Jul 2011
Interesting anime, I hate myself for watching Shadow Star Narutaru this late :/
Watched many "freak" shows and this was actually pretty good against others shows, but something was missing from the end...

- Why Akira killed her father?
- Shiina's father said that Hiroko is missing... (I know that they don't believe her that Hoshimaru killed her, and that would make Shiina suspect)

Somehow I got feeling that I need to read manga, but... oh well

About Hiroko...
It's pretty sad, that normal very intelligent girl got traumatized so much that it driven her insane.
But still, those "bullies" needed for punishment, but no need to kill them.

"bullied peoples become bullies" fit somehow to this show, but on this show it was like:
"bullied peoples become killers"

She made herself even worse person than those bullies...

5/5

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jun 24, 2012 6:23 AM

Feb 2009
4/10 ...a waste of time! A pile of crap!

review said:
"It turns into the most distrubing, scary, dark, insane, and twisted anime series ever made!"

That is if all the shows you've watched before are "G" rated.

Come on...you mean to tell me that soldiers dying from poison gas is dark and scary? Shiina being thrown around by a dragon's child in third(I think) episode was insane?(what is insane is how she didn't sustain any injuries)
Oh, right...the scared faces of Akira and Shiina gazing upon those atrocities...man, was that some hard core psychological drama or what.

Even explaining why I am so disappointed in this show feels like a waste of time.
Maybe it's because I truly believed the review and was expecting to see all the disturbing stuff promised but only got an episode's worth of it. Or maybe because this show really is the failed attempt to develop a not-so-bad idea.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jun 28, 2012 9:17 AM

Feb 2009
ChaosLegion said:

review said:
"It turns into the most distrubing, scary, dark, insane, and twisted anime series ever made!"

Come on...you mean to tell me that soldiers dying from poison gas is dark and scary? Shiina being thrown around by a dragon's child in third(I think) episode was insane?(what is insane is how she didn't sustain any injuries)
Oh, right...the scared faces of Akira and Shiina gazing upon those atrocities...man, was that some hard core psychological drama or what.

Even explaining why I am so disappointed in this show feels like a waste of time.
Maybe it's because I truly believed the review and was expecting to see all the disturbing stuff promised but only got an episode's worth of it. Or maybe because this show really is the failed attempt to develop a not-so-bad idea.

Totaly agree with you. Not sure why i watched it till the end maybe i was hoping for something good lol...
Jul 1, 2012 6:00 AM

Nov 2008
Spaidy_ said:
ChaosLegion said:

review said:

Totaly agree with you. Not sure why i watched it till the end maybe i was hoping for something good lol...

Same. I think my expectations were way too high. I'm very disappointed but ah well, at least I gave it a chance.
Jul 29, 2012 1:51 PM

Jul 2011
I think people here are penalizing the show because it didn't hold to the gossip they heard, which is stupid in my opinion. The series wasn't designed to be Elfen Lied so why be harsh towards it for failing to be something it wasn't trying to be? The show was a character study in which each character as a psychological and/or social problem, heck that's even a requirement for having a Dragon's Child. And in my opinion it did a great job at presenting the characters and their issues to the very end.
Oct 4, 2012 5:56 PM

Jan 2012
4/10
i will check the manga because I'm guessing the story is unfinished,there's a lot of characters left but overall the show was pretty bad and boring sorry
Oct 27, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
what the fuck happened after ep 9?

it's like they just start showing random fillers..

what the shit man..
Nov 16, 2012 2:36 PM

Nov 2011
I'm almost certain it was Mio-Chan who called out to Shiina at the end. On the Wikipedia page it says that she survives the attack but needs to use a wheelchair but obviously there can be tweaks for minor things like this in an adaption. Also the voice sounds like a match.

I was a bit baffled by Shiina's change of hairstyle in this scene. Presumably she decided to in order to look more mature but she now has ahoge?!

It's a crying shame the second half of the original manga wasn't adapted...

Late edit: I found it ironic that Shiina, who Hiro-Chan's father felt was a delinquent, got into Banda Academy while his daughter... definitely didn't. Maybe Shiina tried to get partially redeem her friend's death?
PreFuturism-0Nov 17, 2012 1:42 PM
Dec 1, 2012 10:22 AM
Oct 2012
i thought it was a good story a dark and tragic ending for most of the charters but more realalistic than some anime wish they had showed a bit more of what happened to akira after but it was not to be could have been a bit better if they did but it was a good story overall ken.b
Apr 10, 2013 6:44 PM

Mar 2013
Yeah this anime... The premise is an excellent one and the psychological deficiencies of all the characters is a nice detail, but this really needed to be about three to four times longer. If the main plot and subplots had been finished this could have been a good, no great, anime.

When putting together its shortcomings and its originality I come up with a 6/10. And I'm really reaching to go that far.

Also the OP is damned amazing
Apr 2, 2014 2:08 AM

Mar 2014
I thought the voice at the ending belonged to Hiro-chan, I'm not convinced myself, though^^.
Jul 16, 2014 9:50 PM
Aug 2012
This could have been a 9 or 10 if they had the money to actually do it right and makes it 25 episodes.

I'm not sure why hiro did not want to tell Shinna about the bullies but i guess she did not want shinna to get bullied too.

Snapping because you are relentlessly bullied and beaker raped made sense, i can see why she killed the bullies but making shinna kill her or let her dad die was really fucked. She's lucky Hoshimaru did it for her because she would have felt even worse if she strangled her herself or let her dad die.

I would kill for a 25 episode remake
Jul 17, 2014 2:01 PM
Jan 2011
ChaosLegion said:

review said:

Spot on. I watched this because of the great review, expected something deep and really disturbing and all I got was a psychological drama for preteens. Total waste of time, the guy trolled us hard with that review. 5/10 from me, wasn't exactly terrible, but nothing above average either.
Jul 30, 2014 11:06 AM
Mar 2012
This anime was boring for most part. There was only a couple of good episodes. End was pretty good, but whole show wasn't really worth watching. 5/10
Aug 6, 2014 3:25 PM

May 2012
Pretty fucked up ending but well that's what I liked about these few last episodes, made it score slightly higher for me, in all this anime was rather on the boring side as it had a quite bad pacing but in the end it wasn't garbage!
Aug 6, 2014 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
The teacher looks like Jon from Garfield.
Oct 31, 2014 4:09 PM

Mar 2011
I really wish this would've been 25 episodes. The plot went absolutely nowhere. It introduced all of these characters only to do nothing with them. I'm also disappointed that we had no explanation on what happened to Akira at the end. The last episodes picked up, but they had nothing to do with the 11 episodes before that... 3/10 for me.
May 7, 2015 4:11 AM

Jul 2011
Idk what made me watch this, curiosity I guess. I like other types of horror so I can't really say I liked this, too much drama. The interesting part was the "dragons" (aliens?) but it's not explored well.

I didn't care for the usual misanthrope drama "the world is terrible cause people were bad to me and I didn't even tell anyone or react so I'm gonna turn to the dark side" theme, which I think is the major anime theme.
Since I can't yell at characters how dumb their reasoning is (not that they would listen considering all the mental illness and personality disorders), I have to just watch the crazy villains tell their silly fascist theories and as the mentally unstable friends finally snap. I wish Shiina would just meet a good strong friend without twisted morals and mental health issues, but I guess the aim is to tempt her to the dark side too.

Obviously the story was chopped up from the manga so a lot didn't make sense. I liked Shiina and creepy-cute Hoshimaru and wanted to know what happens to them so I'm kinda interested in the manga. But if it's just trauma after trauma to turns teens into psychos I don't think I have the patience. (from info I saw this seems to be the whole series deal so bleh)

Oh I liked the songs they used, specially the ending theme
SpieluhrMay 7, 2015 7:52 PM
tsuntsun >>> deredere
Aug 17, 2015 10:46 PM

Jul 2013
I think the main reason why my final thoughts on this series are more positive then most people is because I'm aware that the anime actually really only adapted like half the manga, which is why it feels so disjointed and completely unfinished.

Honestly think this would be a really good one to get a re-boot/re-release where they adapt the full thing this time...
Sep 12, 2015 2:30 AM

Apr 2014
It had a really interesting premise but kind of lost itself near the end by becoming an anti-bullying campaign. Still pretty good all in all, but I guess i'll have to read the manga to know the rest of the story.

It wasn't creepy or disturbing at all though, that's the entire reason I started this anime in the first place haha.
Oct 12, 2015 11:59 AM

May 2008
What a great show. I was entertained until the end. The only thing I don't get is Akira... she just killed her father! Maybe she has no control over her dragon child anymore and it is taking control over her like the other girl :( Too bad that it ended somewhere in the middle. I'm really curious about the manga now :) 10/10 from me.
Nov 17, 2015 2:20 PM

Jul 2011
I basically read the manga to see if it gets any better and if the monsters are explained but it's more of the same, just kinda crazier and kinda sloppy
tsuntsun >>> deredere
Feb 4, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2015
Kinda get the feeling Akira was sexual abused which is why she killed her father, need to read the manga now, liked the eerie vibes to this series, music was really good at creating a creepy atmosphere.
Apr 2, 2016 5:06 PM
Jul 2014
What a fucking mess of a show. absolute shit.
Aug 17, 2016 2:41 PM
Apr 2015
honestly i'm disappointed but i'll still read the manga
Jul 25, 2017 6:14 AM
Jul 2016
What a shitty story telling, those last 4 or so episodes made absulutly no sense, what a shame , this anime had so much potential but it was wasted.

I'm currently reading the manga, but even in the manga the story telling is a mess.
Nov 3, 2017 12:26 AM

Apr 2017
Garboooo ending..

I expect way better than this cheap o'l third rate crap
-HippySnob-Nov 3, 2017 4:10 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Dec 26, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2014
Well it got me curious enough to think about reading the manga.
Liked how it was like Bokurano in putting adolescents in situations only adults would normally be in.
Too bad it seems like a lot of things were censored though.
Mar 27, 2018 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
This series was pretty average in my opinion. It had a decent start, but became boring after awhile. It wasn't as entertaining as other "shock value" shows like Elfen Lied or Gantz. I know this show didn't adapt the entire manga, but it was barely interesting to watch.

Also, this show probably has one of the worst dubs I have ever heard.
Aug 19, 2018 4:09 AM
Dec 2014
Please no bully!

Great show, did not watch it for the Elfen Lied stuff. Seen disturbing things on the internet with actual 3D people. I have seen things that I wish I had not. Also Genocyber, no?

Its a shame that this show didn't get a budget but lets be real it is K-on or Sword Art Online that pays the bills. Besides anime is advertising for the manga more often than not.
Jan 29, 2019 8:45 PM

Jan 2018
this last arc was awesome. 7/10, it started kinda slow. i'd have liked if it was a couple of episodes longer, that ending felt kinda weird. still, i did expect that considering Konaka wrote this.
May 3, 2019 7:32 AM

Nov 2016
Really entertaining watch, but I'm not quite satisfied with the conclusion. I hope the manga offers more answers.

6,5/10 as of now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2019 11:51 AM

Aug 2012
That was a truly awful ending to an Anime that just had far too much crap stuffed into it. So many plot threads are introduced, only to never come up again. For those final two episodes to be the finale? Just an incredibly disappointing ending.

This series spent far far far too much time teasing it's sinister side without actually going all the way with it to the very end. And when it did, it happened with a character that is basically added in at the last minute. Making any and all the rest of the series feel like an afterthought. Also I'm no gore hound or anything but when this series is often compared to Elfen Lied then I expected the violence to be somewhat more explicit. Instead outside of the shock factor of children being murdered the actual violence in this series is practically non-existent on screen. Blood being reserved for just crimson smudges on clothes and faces.

I didn't have high expectations but I liked the idea of these cute looking 'dragon child' monsters and the series potentially being quite brutal but it fails to deliver really at all. It's all baseline basic revenge at the end for the most part.

Unfortunately I feel this is a bad bad series, there was potential for so much more in my opinion. 3/10
May 12, 2019 7:55 AM

May 2010
I guess there's no need to read the manga at all. Although last few episodes feel disjointed, they did drop enough hints how the series heading.
Jul 27, 2019 6:41 AM

Mar 2014
oh boy what a crap anime, 3/10.
Apr 2, 2021 5:17 PM

Mar 2016
It really feels like they planned it out for 26 episodes and we only got 13 and the ending suffers for it. There's no weight to it. Like, there's no real resolution to any of their emotional journeys, other than Hiroko who seeks revenge and destruction. Akira's issues with bullying were way more subtle to begin with, but we didn't see enough. Only her interaction with her male classmate, and the killing of her parents at the very end. I wanted to like this more, but it felt like a lot was left out. It's a character based series with so much going on that it drowns the characters out. Maybe I'll read the manga.
syncrogazerApr 2, 2021 5:25 PM
Jul 5, 2023 12:46 PM

Aug 2021
so whats the moral of the story?
it was definitely entertaining and i was kinda enamoured with akira and the ost was good too and i was being caught off guard like all the time
but yeah at the end of the day... either everything flew over my head or it really turned out to be a nothing burger
yeah the bullying plot was pretty hardcore tho, i get it, i was bullied too, i kinda wished a monster would devour the bullies... but then in the show it happened for real lol
Mar 9, 11:40 AM
May 2018
I'm glad Shiima seems to be doing good, along with her dad and Hoshimaru. Akira best girl, but what happened to her? She attacked her dad and then what? Can't even tell me if she's alive or just completely snap after that??
This was a somewhat good series with a meh ending, which is a pity because the last 3 episodes where doing really good. Goes in the read manga later list.
Jul 18, 12:12 PM
Jul 2024
The anime's weakest point is its inability to adapt the entire manga story. This results in an ending with many unresolved plot points and an open conclusion. Also, the 13-episode anime attempts to adapt six manga volumes, causing the narrative to progress rapidly. Because of this, they omitted some scenes and dialogues that would make the story more understandable.

Despite these shortcomings, I really enjoyed the show's direction. Since the anime didn't want to fully commit to the manga's level of violence, it creatively adapted some of the manga's most disturbing moments without being totally explicit and that was impressive.

I recommend this anime as complementary material to the manga, but not as a standalone product.
gami_blightJul 18, 12:20 PM
Aug 19, 11:02 AM

May 2020
If only they kept this momentum with the other episodes. I would say this desperately needs a season 2, but I'm glad it's over.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadow Star Narutaru Episode 3 Discussion

Bwaffles - May 9, 2009

24 by RGreatDanton »»
Aug 23, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Shadow Star Narutaru Episode 2 Discussion

Newheights - Aug 31, 2009

12 by RGreatDanton »»
Aug 23, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Shadow Star Narutaru Episode 1 Discussion

Newheights - Aug 31, 2009

14 by RGreatDanton »»
Aug 23, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Shadow Star Narutaru Episode 12 Discussion

coggins - Sep 17, 2008

26 by BNKRG »»
Aug 19, 10:39 AM

Poll: » Shadow Star Narutaru Episode 11 Discussion

ScrewBall - Oct 26, 2010

13 by BNKRG »»
Aug 13, 9:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.