There wasn't any specific story in this anime. However, as this is not a normal anime I will have to review it a bit differently. The message behind this anime was really important, "smoking is harmful" that's what all the anime is about. This interactive anime made me feel really interested as anime have always managed to change my perspective of certain things. Personally I'm against smoking due to it's unhealthiness and the fact that it makes people spend lost of money. When I watched this anime I felt like it could inspire lots of smokers to quit their bad habit and also that's it's
a real shame that it's not very popular. Finally, I think it depends on how the viewers perceives this, however I really liked the slight "horror" it had at the end, it became scary, smoking became scary, it makes people aware that smoking is in fact really terrible.
The character's art was mediocre, but it had this realistic feeling it it, not the tipical bishoujo or bishounen characters, or moe. However, what I mostly liked was the background, it was highly detailed and I can still remember those electrical stairs in the street and the giant statues of the geisha smoking, it was a very original setting, and the interactive elements made it seem as if I could be partly in that city.
The sound had mysterious and intriguing effects. The noise at the end of the anime made it seem dramatic and thrilling.
Well, the poor development of the characters couldn't be helped since this anime was about transmitting a message to the public. It could have been better, I suppose, but that was a difficult task as this anime was extremely short.
I felt really amazed by this anime, I think that's the best word to describe my feelings towards it.
I re-watched the anime and decided to re-write the review with a bit more detail, so here goes.
They had a message that they wanted to show, they conveyed it well I'll give them that.
Although, was there even a story? It was quite hard to follow what was going on most of the time and I wasn't sure what was going on but I got the message. It would've been nicer with more of a plot.
The character design was fairly plain, but it wasn't terrible. Although everything other than the character design was very good. The background/stage/setting/objects whatever you want to call it was highly detailed
80% of the time, the other 20% of the time it didn't matter because you were too focused on what was happening and the characters to even notice.
The sound and music were fairly good, although nothing out of the ordinary.
There's not much to say about the characters, there wasn't room for any character development but with how the anime played out, it wasn't really necessary. Although it would've been nice to see something more happen with the characters, although that would require more of a story.
Although I wasn't sure what was going on most of the time when I first watched it, it was quite the rollercoaster. Because of how different it was compared to other anime, I wasn't sure what would happen next and how the story would play out.
If you're looking to kill a few minutes it's not a completely terrible anime. They could've done more to make it a bit more interesting, add a bit more to whatever plot there was and maybe make the message a tiny bit more subtle. What I like some shows/movies and that is when they portray a message, but it's subtle leaving more to the imagination. I get that this was kinda like a new thing and they were probably testing the idea, and added a good message in there, just because, but I personally would've liked the message to be slightly more subtle I guess. But each to their own, in the end this was a pretty okay anime.