Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2023 12:33 PM

Mar 2021
Although this show has its own (well established) pros and cons, I quite like both the OP and ED. However, it struck me from the start just how different in tone and style they were from each other. They really are very different takes on the same source material.

The OP is bouncy and fun, which I think really captures the rather light, irreverent tone of the show well. The animations shift off-model often and is full of comedic flourishes. 

The ED almost looks like it was made for a different show. Dark and atmospheric, it paints a picture of a sister who is absolutely devastated by the potential loss of her younger brother. Even when they are reunited, she looks almost unconsolable, embracing him with tears in her eyes.

It just lead me to think about other examples of shows that had OPs and EDs that were so different, they almost felt like they were from different shows. I have a few to come to mind, but I would be curious to hear if other people's examples of shows that have a similar OP/ED disparity.      
Apr 29, 2023 12:39 PM
Sep 2022
I personally like both but from an art perspective the ending is better. It’s just so funny to see an ending for a show like this. The contrast itself is pretty funny
Apr 29, 2023 3:10 PM
Feb 2022
I really like the song in the ending
Apr 29, 2023 4:10 PM
Apr 2022
Ending is leagues better, it actually gives the show an entire extra layer of depth that we never see in the show. Where it depicts the themes of loss and how it can effect a relationship
Apr 30, 2023 6:16 AM
Jan 2022
I really like the op and ed maybe even more than the anime itself lol
Apr 30, 2023 9:29 AM

Apr 2020
Makes me wonder if the story will later reveal that Maya died in the real world out of grief, and so she Isekai'd as an OP protagonist, while the brother is weak there because only his spirit is in the other world while the body is on earth. And despite all the weird and obession the sister has with her brother, she might help him get back to the real world as she sacrifices herself to stay in the isekai, and so it's a story about a brother losing a sister.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

May 5, 2023 10:50 AM

May 2019
Yorginvik said:
Makes me wonder if the story will later reveal that Maya died in the real world out of grief, and so she Isekai'd as an OP protagonist, while the brother is weak there because only his spirit is in the other world while the body is on earth. And despite all the weird and obession the sister has with her brother, she might help him get back to the real world as she sacrifices herself to stay in the isekai, and so it's a story about a brother losing a sister.
Damn, that's kind of deep, I hope neither of them are really dead but I guess we'll see. Anyways, I also like the OP and ED and I've also noticed how different they are from each other. The ED in particular looks like it could have been made by MAPPA as it looks that good IMO.
May 5, 2023 11:59 AM
May 2021
absolutelynormal said:
Although this show has its own (well established) pros and cons, I quite like both the OP and ED. However, it struck me from the start just how different in tone and style they were from each other. They really are very different takes on the same source material.

The OP is bouncy and fun, which I think really captures the rather light, irreverent tone of the show well. The animations shift off-model often and is full of comedic flourishes. 

The ED almost looks like it was made for a different show. Dark and atmospheric, it paints a picture of a sister who is absolutely devastated by the potential loss of her younger brother. Even when they are reunited, she looks almost unconsolable, embracing him with tears in her eyes.

It just lead me to think about other examples of shows that had OPs and EDs that were so different, they almost felt like they were from different shows. I have a few to come to mind, but I would be curious to hear if other people's examples of shows that have a similar OP/ED disparity.      

I love both op and ed theme of this series. Really underrated this season ❤
May 5, 2023 11:16 PM

Mar 2021
viperhc said:
Yorginvik said:
Damn, that's kind of deep, I hope neither of them are really dead but I guess we'll see. Anyways, I also like the OP and ED and I've also noticed how different they are from each other. The ED in particular looks like it could have been made by MAPPA as it looks that good IMO.

I totally agree; the ED really does look good. I was trying to think of other shows that might have had a similar difference in animation styles, music choice, etc. Personally:

Having an OP and ED come from different angles can really add some added depth or at least a different way of viewing the actual show. I would be curious to know if there were any other such examples that people could point to.     

May 15, 2023 10:19 AM

Apr 2018
The ED theme and animation are kinda striking. I was wondering if the show did not miss something there, I think I would have been much more interested in a story with a more serious tone, involving deeper family bonds and hardship. There are some shows that departed from the source material to do something else entirely, so it's not like it's a crazy idea right... :D
May 23, 2023 10:54 AM
May 2019
You have a good point. I love both though and this show is a 10/10 from me.
May 26, 2023 9:36 AM

Mar 2021
And now there is a new OP as well! For a relatively poorly rated show from an unknown studio with problematic elements, it certainly goes hard in the OP/ED game. 
Jun 1, 2023 6:36 PM

Nov 2009
This is what I posted in the other threads about my view on the ED.

BTW that ED...

Seems so out-of-place from the comedic tone we have.

Where they were placed in one of those Dark Mystery series and then it changes to the comedic series, LOL.

TBH, in the Dark Mystery, Asahi's physique actually look like a proper "hero", and Maya looks really sexy for some reason... (then at the end we went with a Fortnite dance.... ok...)

watched the ED again and I just realized something...

What if the Dark Mystery of Maya depressing is actually real and happens after the car crash incident and Asahi is in a Coma or actually "dead"...

And Maya did commit suicide to join Asahi in the RPG world. Or she didn't and the Maya in RPG World is actually part of Asahi's TRUE cheat skill, to create a super strong onee-chan.

And the real Maya is actually still depressed back in the real world like what we see in the ED where the real Maya is reminiscing about her little brother in the past when they were young and having fun.

Or Maya is depressed and Asahi is in a Coma, and everything we're seeing about their adventure is all just a Dream inside of Asahi and the real Maya has no idea about the adventure.

___ ___ ___

I actually wonder tho... what would it be like if the entire series is rewritten and redrawn into ED style? remove most of the comedic aspects and turn it into a Dark Mystery style adventure... hmm...
amlgJun 1, 2023 8:44 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Sep 12, 2023 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
I think "Chobits" have similar OP/ED disparity.
Opening is cheerful and depicts "girl meets boy"/"boy meets girl" theme, it's called "Let me be with you".
Second ending feels sad and lonely. It's called "Ningyo Hime" (mermaid princess) and you can remember how story of little mermaid ends (not in Disney cartoon), so it adds to sadness too.
Also this anime explores forbidden love between human and android, similar to love between human and mermaid, so this second ending fits very nicely.
removed-userSep 12, 2023 2:18 PM
Sep 13, 2023 1:17 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
I think "Chobits" have similar OP/ED disparity.
Opening is cheerful and depicts "girl meets boy"/"boy meets girl" theme, it's called "Let me be with you".
Second ending feels sad and lonely. It's called "Ningyo Hime" (mermaid princess) and you can remember how story of little mermaid ends (not in Disney cartoon), so it adds to sadness too.
Also this anime explores forbidden love between human and android, similar to love between human and mermaid, so this second ending fits very nicely.
@Ysrwii Marvelous choice. Chobits is one of the shows I have not gotten around to seeing in its entirety yet, but that characterization of the OP/ED is very on point. They really do tell the same sort of story, but from very different perspectives. Both are true to the material while evoking very different emotions.
Mar 7, 8:40 PM
Dec 2019
VALIS ED SUPREMACY!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Isekai One Turn Kill Neesan: Ane Douhan no Isekai Seikatsu Hajimemashita Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2023

121 by Jay_Woo »»
Apr 14, 5:34 AM

» I gave this show a 9/10! I've done my part!

LordKirkis - Feb 7

32 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 25, 4:55 PM

» Love the sense of humor in this show!

LordKirkis - Jun 16, 2023

9 by Gator »»
Feb 20, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Isekai One Turn Kill Neesan: Ane Douhan no Isekai Seikatsu Hajimemashita Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2023

68 by Gator »»
Feb 20, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Isekai One Turn Kill Neesan: Ane Douhan no Isekai Seikatsu Hajimemashita Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2023

39 by Gator »»
Feb 20, 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.