Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2021 4:22 PM
May 2020
I know the mangaka wanted the animation to be like a slideshow of a manga, and I know most people are blaming JC or Netflix for it, but I hope that JC puts their fanbase over a little over his desires maybe.

I know that publishers usually do major changes against the mangaka's desires for money, but it's not that much to ask for, rather only an animation change. I feel that Koosuke Oono would be fine with a happy fanbase with the cost of the animation being slightly different from what he wanted.

I also watched Gokudolls around the same time, and I gotta say, that Gokudolls did it better. I was irritated by the animation in Gokushufudou, when I didn't even realize or bother that much in Gokudolls, even though the animators are the same.

So anyways, to summarise my opinion, like most people, I prefer Gokushufudou with a normal anime-like animation, and I think that the mangaka can give in if it means a happy fanbase, but if Netflix or JC forces him to (or if it is a big deal for him), I'd still be more than happy to watch it in the same way, because the story, the charactersand the puns still make a fun manga/anime.
Apr 9, 2021 4:55 PM
Dec 2015
I agree. It would be way better if it was a normal comedy anime since it has a lot of potential.
Apr 9, 2021 4:56 PM

Mar 2019
You need to remember that even if anime is distributed around the world through Netflix, westerners aren't their primary target, most studios don't even know that they have international fanbases. So hoping that they "listen to the fanbase" is kinda pointless.
I don't know what the reaction was on the Japanese side, but an upgrade in production will depend on the mangaka, JC, the JP fanbase, and the production comittee for the anime.
Apr 9, 2021 8:38 PM
Aug 2018
I don't think anything'll change. Anime studios don't typically care what their audience has to say aside from sales it seems.
But that's just like... my opinion... man
Apr 9, 2021 9:08 PM
Sep 2018
nah... it will be a slideshow again...
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Apr 9, 2021 9:09 PM

Jan 2020
That 1/10 is cooking up again. It's truly a shame how they just ruined everything

Apr 13, 2021 12:25 AM
May 2020
Jazetto said:
Well, I feel that what the mangaka wanted to us to focus on with this animation style is the “comedy aspect”. Tbh at first it felt weird but as I progressed, the style compliments and places the spotlight on the comedy of the show.

P.S. (I do not rate any anime, but I do have opinions.)

I agree with you. But again, giving an example from Gokudolls again, since they have the most similarities with animation, Netflix and plot being somewhat yakuza-related, they did it like that but sacrificed some stuff with it.

For example, we usually don't see any character running or jumping, and the scenes where they're dancing change slides fast enough so that the viewers don't realize it that much.

However, in Gokushufudou, the MC kept dashing somewhere, the antagonist yakuzas kept pulling guns. (which was a keyframed arm drawing moving from out-the frame to the screen) The scene where the cat ruined everything with the roomba was almost confusing, for example.

That's why to go one of the ways would've been a better approach I think. Either to animate it, or to make it so that forcing a lot of movement into drawings don't happen. The comedy aspect would've been much better understood that way.
Apr 13, 2021 12:34 AM
May 2020
Clubby said:
You need to remember that even if anime is distributed around the world through Netflix, westerners aren't their primary target, most studios don't even know that they have international fanbases. So hoping that they "listen to the fanbase" is kinda pointless.
I don't know what the reaction was on the Japanese side, but an upgrade in production will depend on the mangaka, JC, the JP fanbase, and the production comittee for the anime.

I agree, but what makes this Netflix anime different is that Netflix licensed and bought the rights before the anime got released, which makes it kinda different from Toradora!, Evangelion and so on. Even though Eastern Asia was the main part, JC and Netflix knew that this was going to be something that the whole world would be able to see, get interested in it, not like it, and comment on it.
Apr 14, 2021 5:06 PM
Jul 2019
I was surprised by the animation style when I started watching it, but actually I think it works really well. It has it's own charm, kind of like Inferno Cop.

Saiki K also often uses a similar style, but nobody complains about that.
Apr 14, 2021 5:36 PM

Feb 2021
Its NETFLIX you know??
There's no way they will listen
they only care about profit after all..
Apr 14, 2021 11:15 PM
May 2020
[quote=Linux_2020 message=62773600]Its NETFLIX you know?
Linux_2020 said:
Its NETFLIX you know??

You do have a point, but Netflix will publish whatever JC gives to them, meaning that if Netflix doesn't care (which they don't) they'll publish either version of animation, which gives JC and the mangaka the ultimatum.
Apr 19, 2021 4:13 AM
Jul 2020
Basitmos said:
I know the mangaka wanted the animation to be like a slideshow of a manga

WAIT WHAT!!!

the mangaka (kosuke Oono) wanted the animation like that?, Really?

From what i know the producer (Kosuke Matsuo) asked the director (Chiaki Kon) to be like that

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1913333
Apr 19, 2021 5:57 PM

Jan 2021
Well, I really liked the animation the way it was so I hope they don't change it
Apr 20, 2021 1:41 AM
The small one

Nov 2019
Hyskoa_Morroh said:
Well, I really liked the animation the way it was so I hope they don't change it

Same here. It focuses more on the actual comedy instred of flashy animation and you don't see animation like this very often so I think it's a nice breath of fresh air. I really don't understand why there are so many people that hate it just because of the animation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 21, 2021 1:06 AM

Jul 2020
Bro.....just drop the anime and move on with your life.
YM_Industries said:
I was surprised by the animation style when I started watching it, but actually I think it works really well. It has it's own charm, kind of like Inferno Cop.

Lmaooo people just want an excuse to shit on JC staff and Netflix.I heard JC staff already made a slideshow anime before but surprisingly people don't seem to hate it.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 22, 2021 4:45 AM
May 2020
Scordolo said:
Bro.....just drop the anime and move on with your life.
YM_Industries said:

Lmaooo people just want an excuse to shit on JC staff and Netflix.I heard JC staff already made a slideshow anime before but surprisingly people don't seem to hate it.

People who say that are basically heresay, except for Netllix's profit hunger, which currently is true. And most people know that JC has a lot of great stuff (or if they look it up for 5 mins), which are animated in a good way such as Toradora! or the Toaru Kagaku series. But about the other slideshow animes, as i said, I think it fit them better because they adapted it to look as if it wasn't that noticeable.
Apr 26, 2021 8:26 PM
Jul 2019
Basitmos said:

People who say that are basically heresay, except for Netllix's profit hunger, which currently is true. And most people know that JC has a lot of great stuff (or if they look it up for 5 mins), which are animated in a good way such as Toradora! or the Toaru Kagaku series. But about the other slideshow animes, as i said, I think it fit them better because they adapted it to look as if it wasn't that noticeable.

I'm not sure I agree with Netflix's profit hunger either. Netfix brought us Violet Evergarden, Dorohedoro, BNA, Beastars, and Devilman Crybaby. I think we should forgive them for a few cheap shows.

Crunchyroll, on the other hand... I don't think Ex-Arm can be forgiven.
YM_IndustriesApr 26, 2021 8:37 PM
Apr 26, 2021 8:32 PM

Jan 2020
YM_Industries said:

I'm not sure I agree with Netflix's profit hunger either. Netfix brought us Violet Evergarden, BNA, Beastars, and Devilman Crybaby. I think we should forgive them for a few cheap shows.

Crunchyroll, on the other hand... I don't think Ex-Arm can be forgiven.

Gokushufudou is a Netflix original. Violet Evergarden is not. Netflix streamed it, but didn't produce it, which is why it's 10 thousand times better. Netflix wasn't even the one to license Violet Evergarden.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 26, 2021 9:07 PM
Jul 2019
samashi20 said:
Gokushufudou is a Netflix original. Violet Evergarden is not. Netflix streamed it, but didn't produce it, which is why it's 10 thousand times better. Netflix wasn't even the one to license Violet Evergarden.

My bad, for some reason I thought it was a Netflix original. My point still stands with BNA, Beastars S2, Dorohedoro, and Devilman Crybaby.
Apr 29, 2021 2:05 AM
Aug 2020
Linux_2020 said:
Its NETFLIX you know??
Well sometimes they listen like when they improved the one of the fight scenes in Nanatsu no Taizai by studio Deen.
May 1, 2021 2:04 PM
Apr 2017
as long as the Author and JP fanbase are happy, i don't mind what kind of animation they make. and from what i heard both sides are satisfied with this kind of animation.
May 10, 2021 4:30 AM
May 2013
I hope they keep it like this, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't dislike it if it was more animated but this way it's something unique and memorable.
Sep 10, 2021 5:36 AM
Oct 2019
People still didn't understand, they won't...
Sep 17, 2021 6:36 AM
Jan 2018
They won’t it will be the same
Sep 26, 2021 5:24 AM
May 2020
Yeah they won't, but this looking back, I think my taste also changed to the point that I think this kind of style will be better. Imagining it properly animated gives it a more generic look, to the point that becomes more light novel-ish.

I'm really looking forward to the second season now, I wonder how it'll be since my taste settled inbetween seasons.
Sep 29, 2021 5:32 PM

Oct 2014
Hyskoa_Morroh said:
i 100% agree. i think all of the comments that demand fluet animation on this have probably cooked their brains on shounen animes too much.

Basitmos said:
Yeah they won't, but this looking back, I think my taste also changed to the point that I think this kind of style will be better. Imagining it properly animated gives it a more generic look, to the point that becomes more light novel-ish.

I'm really looking forward to the second season now, I wonder how it'll be since my taste settled inbetween seasons.

thank you I also agree with this
Oct 7, 2021 3:38 AM

Oct 2017
Just because you feel it should change to fuel what YOU want doesn't mean you can coerce a person who wrote the story to go against what HE wants. If they want this animation (it does work well with the comedy and short chapters), then he can do it. You're not the only person in the world.
BunilleOct 7, 2021 3:45 AM
Oct 10, 2021 3:44 PM

Oct 2021
ManWild said:
That 1/10 is cooking up again. It's truly a shame how they just ruined everything

You have a Doraemon prof pic but you’re complaining about animation.

I thought the animation was fine and still enjoyed the comedy.
This isn’t Fate/Zero
Oct 11, 2021 2:15 AM

Jul 2013
Hyskoa_Morroh said:

LyriaLegende said:
Same here. It focuses more on the actual comedy instred of flashy animation and you don't see animation like this very often so I think it's a nice breath of fresh air. I really don't understand why there are so many people that hate it just because of the animation. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

IKR... the animation does take some time to get familar with. at the very least, for me.
But, after im comfortable with it. it was enjoyable.

Literal LOL dozens of times infront of my device watching this from S1/Part 1
I think, imho the "moving picture" format enhanced the comedy by mainly putting focus on face and voice.

---

Bunille said:
Just because you feel it should change to fuel what YOU want doesn't mean you can coerce a person who wrote the story to go against what HE wants. If they want this animation (it does work well with the comedy and short chapters), then he can do it. You're not the only person in the world.

If im not mistaken, the owner of the I.P. ( mangakaa/writer ) do have major role in adaptation since studio/publisher would using his/her I.P. commercially.

and yes, people's opinions is indeed necessary for business's direction.
But, I do agree with you. if the owner want A-model. he should/would have the final say about his original idea

---

Man.... season 2 made me laugh wayy more than s1. hahahaha
Aug 30, 2022 5:46 AM
Aug 2021
Still waiting for a better animated version bc I know I'd love it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gokushufudou Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 7, 2021

27 by DebiPS »»
Apr 23, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 7, 2021

37 by SirCzrix »»
Mar 20, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 7, 2021

15 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 19, 2023 1:47 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 7, 2021

17 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 16, 2023 11:10 PM

Poll: » Gokushufudou Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 7, 2021

26 by Softhenic03 »»
Dec 31, 2022 5:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.