Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

My favorite anime of the season. Watch this if you want a serious story without silly comedy bits

New
Apr 16, 8:31 AM

Apr 2012
Just finished watching episode 2. This is such a nice story so far. Normally I'm bored by this feudal Japan-setting, but this one strikes the right balance between its setting and the characters and ongoing story. The "battle" between the 4 wife-candidates is intriguing and the boy is mischievous and fun.

Animation is simple, yet strikingly beautiful and clean.

I recommend this anime to all who are tired of supposedly serious anime adding "funny"/quirky bits.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 16, 1:51 PM
Jan 2022
Premise made it seem like it’d be some yaoi-bait period piece like all the Chinese donghua, but it doesn’t have that feel (yet) and seems to be a serious court politics drama in a fantasy setting, not unlike Raven of the Inner Palace. And the kid MC is a spunky Shounen who does actually kind of feel like a male Maomao in spirit. This looks like it has the bones to be a pretty solid hidden gem!
Apr 18, 10:15 PM
Jun 2021
Im loving it. It feels like a mix of the apothecary diaries and my happy marriage in a way, and it is actually dope. the story is interesting, a pretty good art style. good voice acting, pretty alright music, what else can you ask for, go watch it!
Apr 19, 5:17 AM
Apr 2024
I've read 4 volumes out of 6 (the 1st part) of Yatagarasu light novel, and so far the first 2 eps of the anime seem great as adaptation. It was a splendid idea to combine 2 first volumes in one series, and this anime also makes good use of manga adaptation (the scene with Ichiryuu is from it). Hope the authors maintain the mix of intrigue, suspense, humour and drama to the end of the series, without changing the plot too much and adding any silly things from themselves.
The character designs are very suitable to the story, and there is a little difference in them as regards the women (especially the four royal brides), having a sort of watercolour tenderness, and men, who are drawn in simpler and more rugged style (for the most part, with the exception of leading characters).
Apr 19, 2:14 PM

Jul 2021
Not sure about this anime not having comedy bits. Both Yukiya and the Prince are set up as somewhat unusual personalities, and they might bounce off of each other in fun ways. Asebi could have some funny moments too, given her cluelessness and somewhat naive personality. It would make for a dull show if everyone's always stone-faced and discussing politics.

But I do agree the anime seems to be taking its own story "seriously", taking care to build up a world and a large cast, instead of simply setting up a playground for episodic shenanigans.

Overall a solid start. I really hope they can maintain the quality and the style so far.
Apr 19, 4:28 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
Not sure about this anime not having comedy bits. Both Yukiya and the Prince are set up as somewhat unusual personalities, and they might bounce off of each other in fun ways. Asebi could have some funny moments too, given her cluelessness and somewhat naive personality. It would make for a dull show if everyone's always stone-faced and discussing politics.

But I do agree the anime seems to be taking its own story "seriously", taking care to build up a world and a large cast, instead of simply setting up a playground for episodic shenanigans.

Overall a solid start. I really hope they can maintain the quality and the style so far.
@perseii What I mean with "funny bits" that annoys me in other anime is stuff like Boku no Hero Academy or the new Kaiju #8 does. You know, in one moment it's all serious, then the next second characters have super-deformed "funny" faces and are shouting something "funny", before it returns to "serious". This shit always ruins the atmosphere for me.

This anime doesn't have that, any humor will come from a plausible point of origin, and making a joke at the wrong time might have actual consequences for someone.

If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 19, 8:22 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to MyllerPhiem
@perseii What I mean with "funny bits" that annoys me in other anime is stuff like Boku no Hero Academy or the new Kaiju #8 does. You know, in one moment it's all serious, then the next second characters have super-deformed "funny" faces and are shouting something "funny", before it returns to "serious". This shit always ruins the atmosphere for me.

This anime doesn't have that, any humor will come from a plausible point of origin, and making a joke at the wrong time might have actual consequences for someone.

@MyllerPhiem Ah ok. Compared to the action shounen shows you mentioned, this one does feel more adult-oriented in tone. I'm not surprised to learn that the manga adaptations ran on seinen magazines (Evening, Comic Days).
Apr 20, 10:25 AM
Dec 2021
KisMaczka said:
I've read 4 volumes out of 6 (the 1st part) of Yatagarasu light novel, and so far the first 2 eps of the anime seem great as adaptation. It was a splendid idea to combine 2 first volumes in one series, and this anime also makes good use of manga adaptation (the scene with Ichiryuu is from it). Hope the authors maintain the mix of intrigue, suspense, humour and drama to the end of the series, without changing the plot too much and adding any silly things from themselves.
The character designs are very suitable to the story, and there is a little difference in them as regards the women (especially the four royal brides), having a sort of watercolour tenderness, and men, who are drawn in simpler and more rugged style (for the most part, with the exception of leading characters).

Do it have English version? And how many volumes at time?
Apr 20, 10:27 AM
Dec 2021
Really like this anime, the plot and characters are so good plus the crow form
And 20 eps? Exellent!
Apr 20, 10:49 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to jennythanh
KisMaczka said:

Do it have English version? And how many volumes at time?
@jennythanh There's a link on Chisato Abe's Yatagarasu books page on MAL.https://myanimelist.net/manga/163974/Yatagarasu_Series
Seems that these haven't yet been translated in English.
I've read a Russian paperback edition, translated from Japanese.
There are also two manga versions of Yatagarasu books online, with English translation.
KisMaczkaApr 20, 10:53 AM
Apr 21, 9:46 AM
Apr 2021
Where can I watch this anime? Is already available on Crunchyroll?
Apr 27, 8:39 AM
Apr 2024
Itu bagus tapi kenapa ratingnya sangat rendah 😢 aku sangat sedih karya hebat seperti ini diremehkan
Apr 28, 2:00 AM
Mar 2016
Slow start and boring few early episode. Some probably drop because of this. What hook me early on was the quality of the animation, and the final part episode 4 nailed me. Glad I didn't drop.
Apr 28, 3:25 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Ceru1138
Slow start and boring few early episode. Some probably drop because of this. What hook me early on was the quality of the animation, and the final part episode 4 nailed me. Glad I didn't drop.
@Ceru1138 Can't wait for the Ravine (Taniai) events in the next ep.! Undercover work in shadowy criminal world of Yamauchi for Yukia.
May 4, 3:28 PM
Dec 2023
Without silly comedy bits, he said. xD
May 10, 3:47 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to MyllerPhiem

@MyllerPhiem i feel you on that. I cant stand most anime comedies for that reason. Usually its just an inconvenience and I ignore it but it does seem that's the majority of series. I prefer serious stories and I hope thats what this is
May 11, 11:20 AM
Sep 2014
Seriously how can they send my two favorites, this and Youkai-san at the same hour, and then nothing good for the rest of the week?! (I am joking, relax)
May 24, 3:05 PM

Feb 2021
I absolutely agree, amazing historical series!
May 25, 3:53 PM
Sep 2017
I need to know, is it BL
May 26, 2:29 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Richlord
I need to know, is it BL
@Richlord Thankfully it's not. The story is about marrying one of 4 women and intrigues related to it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

15 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
Yesterday, 11:43 PM

» Why only 20 episodes?

18927 - May 26

18 by 18927 »»
Yesterday, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6

22 by StateofOhayo »»
May 26, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 13

49 by Groman »»
May 24, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18

23 by dragynfaerie »»
May 20, 8:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.