Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 15, 10:34 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
I've no idea how well read MAL users are, but something I noticed throughout season one, and much more so now having watched Episode 5 and seeing the shopkeepers garden, are the copious similarities between Aomame from Haruki Murakami's 1Q84, and Yor Forger. Both are secret assassins that operate with needles and take jobs from wealthy people that reside in mysterious, ethereal gardens. I'm not suggesting that Yor is a ripoff, I think the inspiration is quite tasteful and obviously there are just as many creative differences between the two. I was just wondering if anyone else had had that thought or can see it too.

If you haven't read 1Q84 by the way, I'd highly recommend it.
Mar 16, 12:31 AM
Jan 2022
bro, i wasn't ready for spoilers, i just started the book, man...
Mar 16, 1:20 AM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Reply to k_ara_11_9
bro, i wasn't ready for spoilers, i just started the book, man...
@k_ara_11_9 My fault G, but it's okay it's only spoilers for like chapter 3. Trust me nothing significant is spoiled for you, it's pretty much just the setup.
Mar 16, 2:21 AM
Mar 2021
DemonChicken123 said:
I've no idea how well read MAL users are, but something I noticed throughout season one, and much more so now having watched Episode 5 and seeing the shopkeepers garden, are the copious similarities between Aomame from Haruki Murakami's 1Q84, and Yor Forger. Both are secret assassins that operate with needles and take jobs from wealthy people that reside in mysterious, ethereal gardens. I'm not suggesting that Yor is a ripoff, I think the inspiration is quite tasteful and obviously there are just as many creative differences between the two. I was just wondering if anyone else had had that thought or can see it too.

I haven't read the book you speak of but if you're interested, look into a concept called 'Intertextuality'. It basically means that nothing is original anymore and is instead a combination of former works that are pieced together.

Basically, we've created so much in the medium of fiction that we can never create an original idea again.
Mar 16, 2:29 AM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Reply to Hacker075
DemonChicken123 said:

I haven't read the book you speak of but if you're interested, look into a concept called 'Intertextuality'. It basically means that nothing is original anymore and is instead a combination of former works that are pieced together.

Basically, we've created so much in the medium of fiction that we can never create an original idea again.
@Hacker075 Brother I know what intertextuality is lmao I've got a degree in English Literature. Is the implication here supposed to be that there's no point in discussing possible inspirations? Because that doesn't make any sense. Inspiration and intertextuality should be celebrated. I'm pointing it out in the same way that one points out how Star Wars holds many similarities to Dune, or how Game of Thrones borrows from the real life War of the Roses.

And, not to call you out too much, but there's not much to look into if the only thing is "intertextuality". You can look into a specific work's intertextuality obviously, but the concept itself without any application is quite dry.
Mar 16, 2:32 AM
Mar 2021
DemonChicken123 said:
@Hacker075 Brother I know what intertextuality is lmao I've got a degree in English Literature. Is the implication here supposed to be that there's no point in discussing possible inspirations? Because that doesn't make any sense. Inspiration and intertextuality should be celebrated. I'm pointing it out in the same way that one points out how Star Wars holds many similarities to Dune, or how Game of Thrones borrows from the real life War of the Roses.

And, not to call you out too much, but there's not much to look into if the only thing is "intertextuality". You can look into a specific work's intertextuality obviously, but the concept itself without any application is quite dry.

Just saying that the whole reason you think It might have taken inspiration is because, even if there was absolutely no inspiration from other works, the product will still be just a jigsaw of old story plot points.

Not discouraging discussion or anything. Just adding my two cents.
Mar 16, 2:46 AM
Jan 2022
DemonChicken123 said:
@k_ara_11_9 My fault G, but it's okay it's only spoilers for like chapter 3. Trust me nothing significant is spoiled for you, it's pretty much just the setup.

ehh, it's fine, looking more forward to reading it now-

More topics from this board

» Season 3 announced!

Marinate1016 - Jun 8

11 by ghier »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2023

196 by St0rms_ »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2023

255 by Mat2468xk »»
6 hours ago

» Season 3 is real!!!!

Dbagas8 - Jun 8

11 by Falcon07 »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

» New Season

Maitha114 - Jun 3

6 by SecretTechnique »»
Yesterday, 1:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.