Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2009 8:03 AM
Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
10/10.

Even a side story , I enjoyed it ... everything of it.

Also, MANLY tears were SHED.

''The blue sky should be high and clear,no matter how far away it is.''

Dec 24, 2009 5:45 AM

Jul 2007
I watched the Dub and it was so horrible lol. I haven't seen RK sub yet. I loved the dub RK series though so i was thinking this was the same but apparently not, they changed all the voices, it was bad.

Jan 11, 2010 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
link9us said:
I watched the Dub and it was so horrible lol. I haven't seen RK sub yet. I loved the dub RK series though so i was thinking this was the same but apparently not, they changed all the voices, it was bad.

same the dub was lolworthy but good art and story
Apr 10, 2010 6:00 AM

Mar 2008
Yah, the dub sucks, you're better off just watching this movie subbed.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
May 31, 2011 6:37 AM
Sep 2007
It was fine movie.

Would be better if Shigure didn't die.
Dec 13, 2011 7:41 AM

Nov 2011
Psajdak said:
It was fine movie.

Would be better if Shigure didn't die.

Agree 9/10
Jun 18, 2013 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
10/10, watched it today sub-ed it was awesome. A good adition to the main story line. :)

Though I already finished it, and I'm hunting down the specials and everything that is related to RK.
Oct 8, 2013 12:58 AM

Jul 2008
It was fine, not awesome but not terrible either. 6/10 for me.
Nov 18, 2013 1:14 PM
Feb 2012
WolfWood37 said:
It was fine, not awesome but not terrible either. 6/10 for me.
I wonder,why no one mentioned how great was the quality of this movie? comparing with rurouni kenshin Tv series, I can only think about one word - Awesome!!! The music was great too,story perfect (even mens were crying! ) Could have been a bit less these fighting scenes which was shown in memories of kenshin and others. Overall, strong 10/10! well,i just hoped to see a bit more of kenshin hitten mitsuragi awesomeness instead of these flashbacks x) Anyway,its just my own feelings.
Dec 23, 2013 9:04 PM
Sep 2013
It was a great idea to have watched the movie last. A bit more for viewers who want more Kenshin even after finishing the series XD
Jul 28, 2014 5:04 AM

Oct 2013
I went into this expecting it to suck... and for the first 45 minutes, I was pretty spot on. I blame the utterly terrible English dub for this; while I can't really imagine anybody except the original cast of the Rurouni Kenshin series for these characters, Shanon Weaver is the only one which does a remotely decent voice acting job, and even he doesn't fit the happy, carefree side of Kenshin the way Cansino does. The other voice actors were terrible, unfitting picks, and it's just impossible to imagine anybody except the original cast for them. The rather bland plot certainly didn't help me look past the terribly flawed voice acting, either. Nothing special happened, and I couldn't get into it.

However, around the half way mark (the assassination attempt on the British ambassador), this suddenly became far, far better. Part of this is due to the fact that the main characters whose voices had been ruined became less present than they were in the first half, yes, but the plot actually picked up as well. The ending in particular really got to me - my jaw dropped when Shigure was killed. I should've expected it, but I didn't. And to think of poor Toki, all alone now... ;_; ...and poor Shigure, who lost a dear friend due to his mistake in judgment, was haunted by his mistake for the rest of his life, then lost everything from his comrades to his very life for a wasted, failed revolution... ;___;

So while the first half of the movie was fairly boring, the second half made this worth watching. It culminated perfectly in the last 10 minutes, and it did a great job at emphasizing the certain element the Rurouni Kenshin franchise highlights best: there's no right or wrong, just two opposing sides fighting for what they believe is justice.

6/10

Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest so that we'll always strive to reach it.
ZadionJul 28, 2014 5:34 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 28, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2014
Just finished watching the Sub, it was a LOT better than I expected. Even though they did recycle a lot of the same ideas from the anime/manga, they understood a lot of the intricacies of it and brought out those elements that I love about kenshin.

For a kenshin fan, it was worth watching, which is impressive for something not in the original story. Some of the execution could have been better, but I applaud them for trying to bring out the usual kenshin themes that I know and love. 7/10
Nov 23, 2015 9:45 AM

Mar 2011
A lot of action and political things. I just rewatched it before almost five years, it felt like it's the first time I watch this movie, because I barely remember a thing, I wonder how I did watch it the first time...
Dec 27, 2015 11:04 AM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed it. One thing really bugged me though. Did we really have to see the same flashback a hundred times?

7/10
Apr 21, 2016 11:37 AM

Aug 2013
Man I thought this movie was pretty awesome, far better then most Jump anime movies.
Oct 30, 2016 6:55 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid movie I must say! Quite different than what I first expected from this movie as I first though this would be some kind of recap, but boy was I wrong!

It had a whole new story and was pretty lovely as it was completely action filled while still keeping the kenshin atmosphere!

Really great watch I must say!
Jan 17, 2022 9:17 AM

Nov 2010
Capitalist Imperial Japan and Feudal Shogunate Japan are equally horrible government systems. They fought and died for nothing in the end. The common masses will always suffer regardless.

"They might grow up to create the world Shigure dreamed of. One in which no blood is shed." Unfortunately, those children failed her and Shigure. They ended up doing far worse. They'd be in their 60-70s by the 1930-40s, leading government positions.

8/10
Aug 29, 2022 10:00 AM

Aug 2018
I like how our opponent is built up.. We see him protecting girl.. He's not just evil or something.. It's how overall Rurouni Kenshin portrays "enemies".. Who are not just bad people a lot of time.. Just having personal convictions, or some other things.. Like in this case it's also duty for the made mistake as well..
Hospitable to Yahiko.. Also doesn't use him as meat shield or anything, leaves him in safety..
And rebellion is planned to be used by other people.. We saw this officer.. And also inside betrayal..
At some emotional moments music is too good..
I heard Ending song somewhere before..
Feb 8, 2023 1:05 AM

Mar 2019
It was a pretty good movie, I liked it.  It kinda felt like a long episode rather than an actual movie. But it had most of the aspects that I loved about the anime and was pretty fun to watch.
May 13, 2023 4:52 AM

Aug 2018
Hmm I must say, I should've watched this film 2 years ago when I was watching the original series for the 2nd time. 

I guess I'm glad that I watched this film finaly after forgetting about it so much, but it wasn't a super good expierence. Whole film just felt bland with predictable plot points and lack of certain characters and traits. Yeah Kenshin past is always interesting but it takes like 10% of this film in the end so nothing else to speak of.

The fights were pretty good, pretty dissapointed that Saito didn't get a bigger part in them, only that quick kill in the end, but the biggest problem that even watered down some fights was the attrocious animation quality for an anime movie. I guess I'm too used to anime movies having higher quality animation than the original series, at least a little bit better.

In the end, this film doesn't offer that much besides 2 exciting fights and a flashback of the past, I don't think theres anything too special here to see or be hyped about

6.3/10
Feb 22, 11:05 AM
Sep 2023
The movie really picked up in the end but overall I didnt care for it as much. the dub was hard to get past & while I like the addition actual action in this movie as opposed to the end of the series its still couldve used a bit more depth 4/10

More topics from this board

» Can i watch this movie?

Masamasa - Sep 22, 2007

9 by MalikColdbane »»
Jan 25, 2009 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.