Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Dec 7, 2021 3:59 PM
Dec 2017
by far one of the best horror anime out there.

Dec 26, 2021 11:26 PM

Aug 2020
Well, that was a journey.

They manage to go against fate without anyone dying (even the bad guys).

The beginning antd end of this season were enjoyable. The middle part was boring. I enjoyed the first season more.

Overall, a 6.5. I would give it a 7, but the middle part of the series was boring.

I heard that the 2020 version is a sequel and not a remake. Even MAL has it titled as a sequel. Why would they make a sequel? It ended off nicely. Oh well, I'm not gonna watch it anyways.

Here are some pics (saved the best for last):

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Dec 26, 2021 11:28 PM
Jul 2021
the ending was good which i never expected would be the case in in higurashi but its a solid series indeed
Feb 15, 2022 4:58 AM

Jan 2021
Why is there more? Kai concluded so well, it doesn’t really need a continuation.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Mar 20, 2022 6:50 AM

Jun 2015
I preferred the 1st season; the series deteriorated since the previous season's final story chapter, but its score (7/10) will be unaffected by the 2nd season; however, the opposite will not be true for this season; it will be criticised based on the 1st season.

Too much stalling in the first half of the 2nd season, they were late in revealing the identity of the mastermind, who's identity was predictable. Take, for example, Episode 2, which was nothing more than a pointless comedy with no plot progression. Pacing was atrocious.

Speaking of late reveals, Nomura (the true mastermind) makes an appearance in Episode 17??? Her appearance was merely to fill a void (the one who funded Takano). It would have been better not to show her at all, or to show her much earlier, like in season one, or instead of making Takano an underling, they could have made Okonogi an ally joining forces with Takano because of similar goals yet different personal intentions to Takano's and shown more background of his character, rather than someone working solely for Takano's money. Of course, there is a distinction between "the appearance of the mastermind" and "the reveal of the mastermind", and Takano's mere appearance, for example, did not ruin the mystery. Okonogi's existence was merely to provide the necessary muscle for Takano's plan, but the problem was that his only personal motive was money, and Nomura's purpose was to provide that money in order to provide for Okonogi's army... you see what I am getting at? Both Nomura and Okonogi have no real connection to the story and serve only as plot device characters to fill a gap. If neither of them shows up, I'll ask questions like, "Where did the money come from?" "How come the yamainu are assisting Takano?" The writer does a good job filling this gap, but not enough for characters who play an important role in the plot, such as Okonogi and Nomura.

Rika only acted seriously in episode 6 to change fate? It's been a century, and she still hasn't tried what Keiichi did in episode 6? seriously?? Her lack of common sense is absurd. I understand that the message for the viewer is to do serious work rather than complain, which Rika didn't do at first, but 100 years is too long. What I expected was that she did not want to change fate at first; rather, she wanted to go back in time and have a good time with her friends, even if only for a short time that would be repeated indefinitely. But it turns out she's been whining for over a century without even trying. The reasonable assumption was that she had no motivation or desire to break free from the time loop. However, her statement that she wanted to leave from the beginning disproved such assumption. What's the point of Keiichi remembering a few past events only to forget them in the next world? Hanyu herself said it was pointless because it happened only once in 100 years, let alone it happens to more than one person in the same world. It later turns out that it happens to everyone, not just Keiichi, in their subconscious mind, including Keiichi, so I don't believe a conscious recollection is exclusive to Keiichi. Recalling in itself however served no tactical advantage whatsoever, so showing Keiichi conscious recollection was just a cool plot exposition revealing that the worlds were intertwined, which I expected to to happen again, ultimately Keiichi, regardless of his memories, Keiichi served a large role in changing fate because he was new to the town.

After a serious attempt, Hanyu's time-returning powers fade, the time travel period decreases, and Rika no longer remembers the events of the previous world, which is an unnecessary coincidence that is a plot convenience serves only to thrill viewers.

Shion is in love with Satoshi and yandere for him because he patted her head and spoke to her for a few minutes? The author was sure lazy here.

Rina and Mion were too friendly to Keiichi who had only met them for a few days, even after he broke Rina's fingers using the door. I wouldn't mind if they were both aware of the syndrome and working hard to alleviate the symptoms, but that wasn't the case. Also, even though Rika was aware of those impending events, she did nothing to stop them as usual; at the very least, she could have instructed Dr. Irie and Takano to treat him as they did with Satoshi.

What exactly real and syndrome imagination? What have Keiichi imagined and haven't? What about Rina's cleaver, did Rena equip the cleaver at the time for self-defense against the Yamainu in that bus, or was it all in Keiichi's head? and Mion's outburst when Keiichi told her about Ooishi? This is not subtlety, this is ambiguity. Spirited Away by the Demon Chapter was my favourite but had too many contrived plot conveniences to worsen Keiichi's Hinamizawa Syndrome when you look at it retrospectively.

Why does Takano fabricate false stories about her research and give them to random children with the syndrome? What was the point of stimulating the syndrome in few random children? for the lols? If so, her backstory never hinted or established that she was a sadist who enjoyed manipulating people for the sake of manipulating people; I assumed all she wanted was to prove her grandfather's theory and gain recognition, not enjoy causing suffering to others, what a waste of time. There was no reason to make her so malicious; given the reason in her flashbacks, it was understandable that she desired genocide. However, it appears absurd to play with children's minds for the sake of amusement. Especially when it comes to writing unnecessary papers and handing them over to the victim. Takano is a villain with a clear goal that she wishes to achieve regardless of the harm she causes to innocents; she is immoral but not a sadistic malicious villain who derives pleasure from the suffering of some innocent children. While she lacks morals she shows no signs of being sadistic throughout the anime including her flashback. If another reason existed, then it was not disclosed. And certainly not "for the sake of scientific study" because she does nothing else after that and the time available to conduct a study is limited.

All of the gathering was unnecessary in order to save Satoko; what was required was simply to persuade Satoko, and even with the assembly, it was necessary to ask her. I understand that the gathering is a message to the viewer about harmony, but the excuse for doing so was ridiculous, and this invalidates the anime's constant message of 'fate can be conquered with collaboration'. The anime demonstrated that crowding had no benefit for Satoko and what was needed was a few emotional words and phrases to persuade Satoko to seek help. Rika stated unequivocally that this is the only solution, she was right. I've been yelling at Rika to come to this conclusion ever since she learned about Satoko's uncle's return. As I previously stated, the gathering and cooperation were not a problem in and of themselves; if anything, it caused some development of several characters; my issue is with the writer contriving such an excuse of the gathering.

It wasn't the best idea to waste episode time with silly comedy after each episode and spoiler previews of upcoming events. It never works to have a terrifying atmosphere at the end of an episode followed by a silly comedy. However, it was a good thing that the mood whiplash was minimal in the overall series, especially for a serious that have both horror and comedy.

Hanyu is a mere a plot device character who only serves as a time machine. Revealing herself was also too late, what I mean by her reveal is her visual incarnation to the other characters, as well as her interaction with them. But then again, I'm not sure why she revealed herself to others in the last chapter, yet the story portrays her as an 'important piece' and key to victory. Also, because she appears so late and is given so little screentime and character development, we don't know much about her character other than that she is a one-dimensional character who can only be described as "the goddess who helps Rika". We've known since the end of season one that Rika can travel back in time. There was no need to keep Hanyu hidden until Episode 6. If there is a mystery spoiler, it is the mystery of her time travel method, which again has nothing to do with Hanyu's appearance. Because its mere appearance does not prove that Hanyu was truly the means, it was possible to assume that Rika possesses the ability to travel back in time. Why did Hanyu not tell Rika about Takano? For what reason? What was the point of that scene where Hanyu and Takano interacted? Like Nomura and Okonogi, despite playing an important role in the plot, she is a bad character. Can you give me a character description of Hanyu other than the Goddess assisting Rika?

Why did Takano wait so long to kill Rika when she had the chance? Why does Nomura cancel the operation despite Takano and Okonogi discovering that Rika was alive? When they captured her, Takano could have ordered Okonogi to kill Rika instead of bringing her alive. I understand that Takano waited because she wanted to kill Rika at the right time in order to prepare for Emergency Manual 34, but Okonogi at the time had already cut off communication and was carrying out the plan. I don't see the point in of Takano issuing an order abducting Rika alive. Why? If anything this contradicts Takano's plan, which begins with Rika's murder. But wait it gets even weirder, Rika was aware of Emergency Manual 34 and aware that Takano wants to murder her as soon as possible, so why the fuck was Rika threatening them to commit suicide. Okonogi also responds that it is bad if Rika attempted suicide.

I don't mind happy endings as long as they aren't unrealistic with zero casualties on either side. The ending is implausible due to the coincidence of no damage or death for either parties, despite the outbreak of a lethal firearms war.

Finally, good thing Rika become 'the main character' for this season instead of focusing on Keiichi who was like any VN harem protagonist, changes personalties based on his decisions in the 1st season.
DeagoAug 31, 2022 2:18 PM
Jun 6, 2022 5:16 PM

Dec 2018
i feel bad for takano; she was trying to do something good but in all the wrong ways and she'd been shit on her whole life.
Jun 8, 2022 12:02 PM
Nov 2020
Haven't watched any of the sequals yet, but looking at how this ended, they should've ended the story hear. Have a feeling that it can only be downhill after ending this well
Jun 12, 2022 12:15 PM
Mar 2014
Great finale. I felt like they explained most things well and they didn't drag out this last arc (didn't feel dragged at least to me). Glad that the gang finally won! I would've liked to see Rika explain how she knew how things will go, but perhaps at a later time.

Rena best girl!
Jul 5, 2022 5:33 AM
Mar 2022
Pretty good ending. one of the best horror anime. 8/10 for me
Sep 19, 2022 3:55 PM

May 2016
Great conclusion for a decent series. was that last part just void dream or what?
Nov 30, 2022 6:19 PM

Aug 2014
Higurashi season 2 was just boring and forgettable.

The only good thing is that we get the answers to everything, and also how some scenes changed for the "better" like the survival of the detectives wife, and the male MC giving the doll to Mion this time. But asides from that, this season 2 was just dull and meh, and didnt feel like Higurashi season 1, which is what we wanted from season 2.

The biggest difference is that season 2 didnt have the "crazy" and "suspense" that season 1 had. 

This season 2 was just a mystery, and the only thing that will make people watch this season 2 is to see the answers to what happened on season 1.

After episode 4, I started watching each episode in a very fast paced just to get this season 2 over with, and I would only slow it down once they would be revealing more "answers".  The first episode and the first half of episode 2 of season 2 was captivating, but afterwards, just meh.

Again, you gotta see Higurashi season 2 at least once, but after that, this season 2 has no rewatch value.  And its a shame that there is no English dub for season 2, since that probably would have made it an easier watch

I have no idea how Higurashi season 2 has a score of 8.18 on MAL (as of the date of my comment), and I have no idea how Higurashi season 2 has a higher MAL score than Higurashi season 1.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 1:49 AM
Dec 1, 2022 12:10 AM

Jun 2015
oooo3333 said:
I have no idea how Higurashi season 2 has a score of 8.18 on MAL (as of the date of my comment), and I have no idea how Higurashi season 2 has a higher MAL score than Higurashi season 1.
Sequel effect; most viewers who liked Higurashi stuck with it until season 2, while those who disliked it ignored it and did not rate it. Furthermore, many people are more concerned with conclusions and answers than with suspense and the journey itself, and they fail to see the bigger picture, and how season 2 makes season 1 bad when you look at it retrospectively; season 2 reveals answers, but it also exposes how weak the storyline and adaptation were.

Read my rant above for more details.
Dec 1, 2022 10:33 AM

Aug 2014
Deago said:
oooo3333 said:
Sequel effect; most viewers who liked Higurashi stuck with it until season 2, while those who disliked it ignored it and did not rate it. Furthermore, many people are more concerned with conclusions and answers than with suspense and the journey itself, and they fail to see the bigger picture, and how season 2 makes season 1 bad when you look at it retrospectively; season 2 reveals answers, but it also exposes how weak the storyline and adaptation were.

Read my rant above for more details.

Surprisingly, just as I was about to finish season 2 with about 3 episodes left, I came here to the last page of episode 24 discussion thread, and your comment was the one I agreed with the most before concluding the anime.
Mar 7, 2023 9:31 PM
Feb 2018
excelent episode
Dec 31, 2023 4:29 PM
Sep 2014
Higurashi has been a unique experience for me and turned one of my favorite anime. Even knowing that it was rushed, anyone can point many high quality aspects such as the music.
I will echo some of the voices declaring that season 1 was better. The tension and mystery are on point and I remember getting hooked from the second episode. Even now I consider Okikakushi-hen the best arc. Kai was missing on the suspense and the pacing. And while it dragged a bit on the first episodes, all the answers were just given on the second half. I think the way the conflicts were solved in Matsuribayashi was way too convenient.
Anyway, despite its flaws, the final scenes still managed to make me a bit emotional, due to possibly the greatest facet of the series: the characters. I was cheering for everyone and we got a happy ending at least.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.