Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2009 10:35 PM
Sep 2008
Yep, me again and I noticed 2 things in this episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_episodes
I am rewatching Pokémon from the beginning including the banned episodes so "Who Gets to Keep Togepi?" is episode 50.

#1 When that little flashback thing happens when they're sitting at the table planning out where to go I noticed that the dialogue was different. In episode 46 "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon" when Ash brings out the Togepi egg what was said was this.

"Ash: I found this when I woke up.
Brock: Huh? Are you sure it's alright for you to just take that?
Ash: What do you mean? Do you think I shoulda left it with Joy?
Brock: Okay, Ash, I'll raise it for ya."

But in the flashback in Episode 50 what was said is.

"Ash: Hey, look what I found.
Brock: Huh? Are you sure it's alright to just take that?
Ash: Maybe I shoulda given this Pokémon egg to Joy.
Brock: No way. I'll raise this one for ya."

I noticed it was different right when Ash started to talk because the words were different. Also Brock's voice is noticeably deeper in episode 50 when the flashback happens than in episode 46 when it actually happened. I compared the two scenes one after another to see the differences. The reason I came up with why the dialogue is different is that this is the way that Brock remembers what happened. Also when most people try to remember something they do not use the exact same words that were actually said. Maybe they wanted it to be like Brock was reminding them what happened and kind of used his own words. That could be it but I wonder why they didn't just take the same audio recording and played it again instead of rerecording new dialogue. It is the exact same footage but with new audio put in. I just found that weird.

#2 Togepi was introduced in this episode but Togepi is Pokémon number 175. I thought that in the first season of Pokémon they only stuck with the first 150. I would guess that from this episode on other Pokémon from Generation 2 would be shown but that's not the case. Since Togepi was introduced so early I thought that it would be number 152 since Mew is 151 but that was not the case either. I just thought that it was weird that they would introduce a Pokémon from Generation 2 so early and that they would give it a later number instead of 152 which I think it deserved.

I guess that the anime and video game Pokémon worlds cannot be fully connected because of certain happenings like this. I know that in the anime Pokémon world all 493, that we so far know of, have always been there even though at that time when the first season came out they only let us know of 152 of them (149 original ones + Mewtwo + Mew +Togepi) while in the games we get introduced to the newer generations as you go up the chain of games (RBY -> GSC -> RSE etc.).
Mr_PandahMay 21, 2009 11:07 PM
Nov 9, 2010 3:16 AM

Jul 2010
Mr_Pandah said:
The reason I came up with why the dialogue is different is that this is the way that Brock remembers what happened. Also when most people try to remember something they do not use the exact same words that were actually said. Maybe they wanted it to be like Brock was reminding them what happened and kind of used his own words.

lol overanalyzing much?
Mr_Pandah said:
#2 Togepi was introduced in this episode but Togepi is Pokémon number 175. I thought that in the first season of Pokémon they only stuck with the first 150. I would guess that from this episode on other Pokémon from Generation 2 would be shown but that's not the case. Since Togepi was introduced so early I thought that it would be number 152 since Mew is 151 but that was not the case either. I just thought that it was weird that they would introduce a Pokémon from Generation 2 so early and that they would give it a later number instead of 152 which I think it deserved.

I guess that the anime and video game Pokémon worlds cannot be fully connected because of certain happenings like this. I know that in the anime Pokémon world all 493, that we so far know of, have always been there even though at that time when the first season came out they only let us know of 152 of them (149 original ones + Mewtwo + Mew +Togepi) while in the games we get introduced to the newer generations as you go up the chain of games (RBY -> GSC -> RSE etc.).

Togepi appeared on the anime a long time before the 2nd generation Pokemon games came out so at the time there wasn't really a 2nd gen. set of Pokemon. There were a couple of others too (Mew, Snubbul and Marill if I remember correctly). They often introduce some next gen. Pokemon on the show before the new games actually come out, although it's usually in the movies and not the series.

Meowth is hilarious. His battles were full of lolz.
Jul 9, 2012 8:31 AM

May 2012
Mr_Pandah said:

So you noticed this and not the Ho-Oh in the first episode?

DYoung said:
Meowth is hilarious. His battles were full of lolz.
I love Meowth.
Sep 16, 2012 9:26 PM
Dec 2011
I hate meowth. Hes not cute and his voice is annoying. >.< Also, top person who posted... it IS a discussion board, but why do you care so much? xD Haha
Mar 6, 2013 8:22 PM

Dec 2012
Pfff.. even Meowth deserved Togepi more than Misty -_-
May 7, 2013 4:20 PM

Jan 2013
Poor Meowth,i thought that he would stay with the Egg...
He deserved it,he treated the egg well.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 7, 2013 8:15 AM

Apr 2011
Mr_Pandah said:
Yep, me again and I noticed 2 things in this episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_episodes
I am rewatching Pokémon from the beginning including the banned episodes so "Who Gets to Keep Togepi?" is episode 50.

#1 When that little flashback thing happens when they're sitting at the table planning out where to go I noticed that the dialogue was different. In episode 46 "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon" when Ash brings out the Togepi egg what was said was this.

"Ash: I found this when I woke up.
Brock: Huh? Are you sure it's alright for you to just take that?
Ash: What do you mean? Do you think I shoulda left it with Joy?
Brock: Okay, Ash, I'll raise it for ya."

But in the flashback in Episode 50 what was said is.

"Ash: Hey, look what I found.
Brock: Huh? Are you sure it's alright to just take that?
Ash: Maybe I shoulda given this Pokémon egg to Joy.
Brock: No way. I'll raise this one for ya."

I noticed it was different right when Ash started to talk because the words were different. Also Brock's voice is noticeably deeper in episode 50 when the flashback happens than in episode 46 when it actually happened. I compared the two scenes one after another to see the differences. The reason I came up with why the dialogue is different is that this is the way that Brock remembers what happened. Also when most people try to remember something they do not use the exact same words that were actually said. Maybe they wanted it to be like Brock was reminding them what happened and kind of used his own words. That could be it but I wonder why they didn't just take the same audio recording and played it again instead of rerecording new dialogue. It is the exact same footage but with new audio put in. I just found that weird.

They showed Ho-oH in the very first episode so...
Aug 5, 2017 3:29 AM

Jul 2008
Misty....that witch strikes again.

I really don't see how anyone likes her.
Jul 10, 2020 9:12 AM

Jun 2020
One of my favorite episodes, I hope Meowth will reappear with Togepi in the future.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
Jul 18, 2020 1:19 PM

Nov 2016
Togepi too frigging cute. And I feel kinda bad for Meowth.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 27, 2020 12:59 AM
Jun 2017
Poooor Meowth, Brochk and him deserved Togepi way more than Misty...
May 25, 2021 3:53 AM

Dec 2007
in this circle: ash (found) < mewoth (raised for long time) < brock (raised for shorter time), it's understood, misty just cheated this horribly.

Mr_Pandah said:

you are analysing too much man, ho-oh appeared in 1st episode which was way way before GS games.
Aug 25, 2022 11:35 AM
Aug 2021
muito bom, nostalgia pura, incrível
Aug 12, 2023 11:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yes Togepi is finally born! Such a cute pokemon ahaha
Dec 7, 2023 3:41 AM
Jan 2022
This was the most idiotic episode ı have ever seen. Ash found the Togepi, Brook took care of it, Meowth took the best care of it and Misty got it just because Togepi saw her first. She did not even do anything to help togepi. She just took the egg in her hands without even asking. Plus the worst part is that the narrator was presenting that end as the besst one. I think they do not even think while producing this anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 13 Discussion

Alicia3000 - Mar 21, 2010

25 by Yudistira_second »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 12 Discussion

33 by Yudistira_second »»
Today, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 11 Discussion

29 by Yudistira_second »»
May 3, 12:59 PM

» Meat in Pokemon

CNile - Jan 11, 2013

6 by Melocthal »»
May 3, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Episode 14 Discussion

26 by The_anime_noob12 »»
Apr 28, 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.