Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2009 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
So due to the discussion just now i decided its best to put all your opinions here, since people don't usually read older comments. Oh and put your recommended manga name in bold: using the command text

Anyways my recommendations:

Adventure + Romance (shoujo) - because all the shounen i read aren;t romance

Vampire Game: its not about pretty boy vampires.. more about political intrigue, legends and rebirth.. anyways... its pretty good.

Superior: Villian is the Main character...love interest is the hero... nuff said...

Hatenkou Yuugi: Very likable heroine [i don't mean dumb and idiotic ones]. Going on random string of adventures and getting character development... its good... so far i've read.

Chrono Crusade: sadly its not a comedy, but has plenty of action, adventure and romance ... oh and tragedy i guess.. recommended imo...
noobzillaMay 4, 2009 12:01 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 28, 2009 11:31 AM

Apr 2009
Ah... Superior is actually pretty good. A bit sentimental in later chapters, but I've had fun with it. And Chrono Crusade is a classic. Love your choices, zilla.

How about Princess Resurrection? There's a heroine/fighter and the whole fantasy feel to it.

I can't think of anything else. I'll add it to this post if I think of something.
Apr 28, 2009 11:35 AM

Nov 2008
Haven't read Princess Resurrection, but i'll try it sometime.

Just remembered, if you want to read about fighting chicks, read ANY of the manga by Hwang Miri
among them
Legend of Nereid - pretty good, set in medieval times , but has a lot of drama
noobzillaApr 28, 2009 12:04 PM
Apr 28, 2009 12:02 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah Chrono Crusade made me stay up whole night^^

I also enjoy Kurohime (though later in the story the relationship beetwen Kurohime and Zero is ther motor for the story- it's not bad, but sometimes it makes me think "She said the same line..... Again!"), definately worthy a try.
Ski.png
Apr 28, 2009 3:07 PM

Nov 2007
I second Superior and Chrono Crusade. They are both well done mix of adventure and action of shounen and the sensitive, heartfelt touch of shoujo romance.

If you like the genderbender part I have quite of bit to name but my top is Vanilla Ice. It's a shoujo written and drawn by a guy so it has a lot of action scenes (which is often scolded by his editor he is pushing his limits xD) and he also the great skill with expressions and using chibi style just like 1/2 Prince. There are a lot of references to anime series and games that are easy to spot out as well.
Apr 28, 2009 8:38 PM

Jan 2009
Alright, I said I would and I am.

I'm not sticking with shoujo at all, since, if you're like me, you don't really care that much. In fact, I'm going to shounen and seinen straightaway. Specifically, Video Game mangas. I've always loved this idea, and I've more or less liked every example I found, so if that's you at all as well, I'll just throw out a few ideas maybe :3 The next paragraph blobs on about how much I love vg mangas, so feel free to skip over it.

I've always found that the idea is a really good one, since aspects of a video game can be used to make various situations believable as well as to give the characters a concrete goal other than just some vague "do something about this" (for example, in 1/2 Prince, the effort to win the tournament puts them with interesting allies and other characters, that would otherwise not really fit in with the story. All this is possible due to it being a video game. <3 :) ) Now on to some ideas.

Overman King Gainer - This is suspended as a manga, so really your best bet would be to scrounge up the anime, which I have no access to. Anyway, it's a story about a video game player who has to accomplish missions for people in the real army, not just his games anymore. Lots of action, mecha-esque. Not much to say past there.
Hunter X Hunter Hopefully most of you know of this to where I don't need to say much. Just throw in a note that the entire second arc takes place in a video game (who knows how many tons of chapters >.<) and it's that part that I've re-read over and over :)
Zero One This is actually possibly the best manga I have ever read. . . almost. The problem is that after the third volume, it was abruptly discontinued, so there's no resolution at all. Still, the starting bit is very interesting, with various unique characters and much much video game fun. This is a seinen which comes close to shounen except for the violence and mature themes. By the author of Gantz, so expect the same art styles, characterizations, only less of the weird aliens and total lack of any understandable plot. (Don't get me wrong, Gantz is fun, but a bit too weird for me ._.)

I hope that someday, more mangakas will take this video game idea further into more varied ideas as well :)
Apr 29, 2009 3:52 PM

Feb 2009
Ubel Blatt is preaty good, though doesnt really have a heroine and it doesnt contain any comedy, but the story and action are awsome
Apr 30, 2009 9:11 PM

Aug 2008
Obviously .hack// Series should be obviously related to 1/2 Ouji 'cause they also have that realistic MMORPG factor and the comedy is similar... Well for the few moments I've experienced .hack anyway :P

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2009 6:47 PM

Jan 2009
Ooh, .hack, I should have thought of that :)
May 10, 2009 7:38 PM

May 2009
i was thinking of a manga to recommend... and i remember a gender bender i read an year ago called POWER! ,, about a girl that has to enter high school disguised as a boy to be able to play in it's basketball team. Haha it was hillarious, as most of the gender benders are, and very VERY cute... but the end was random... ehm.. but i recommend it!
i think it was a shoujo xD

i also recommend Yu Yu Hakusho, is my favorite anime since i was 12 years old, and i bought all the manga xD From the creator of Hunter x Hunter~
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introduce yourself! ( 1 2 3 4 )

noobzilla - Apr 23, 2009

166 by saberine »»
Apr 13, 2020 5:17 AM

Sticky: » Get Your Member Cards ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kiaspa - May 30, 2009

247 by kotohapw »»
Jun 16, 2016 8:04 PM

Poll: » Hottness of Characters in 1/2 Prince

Ski - Apr 25, 2009

35 by blue-y »»
Sep 2, 2012 7:51 AM

» Cry about waiting for releases! ( 1 2 )

noobzilla - May 3, 2009

55 by blue-y »»
Sep 2, 2012 7:50 AM

» *HOT HOT* 1/2 Prince Official Illustration Artbook

BlackSakura - Sep 20, 2009

8 by blue-y »»
Sep 2, 2012 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.