Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 2, 2022 4:21 PM
Oct 2011
Lewahoy said:
Finally Shinji managed to do something in this anime, I was thinking he wouldn't want to drive again.
Because of what happened at the end of the episode, I think Rei and Shinji will start to become friends.
When has Shinji driven? Is there some context I am missing?
Jan 2, 2022 4:41 PM

Jul 2021
animalia said:
Lewahoy said:
Finally Shinji managed to do something in this anime, I was thinking he wouldn't want to drive again.
Because of what happened at the end of the episode, I think Rei and Shinji will start to become friends.
When has Shinji driven? Is there some context I am missing?

I used the wrong word, I should have used "pilot"
I'll fix the sentence
asdasdsadad
Jan 22, 2022 6:26 AM

Jan 2021
Letsss gooooooo. Did it!!!
Jan 24, 2022 8:05 AM

Feb 2021
Shinji is starting to man up and take charge.

Looks like Rei will now start to trust Shinji.

The combat sequence was very cool and pretty smart too. Diverting all that power in a single shot was smart thinking by Misato.

Jan 29, 2022 12:50 AM

Aug 2020
Omg that scene at the end was so cute, Shinji even made Rei smile <33

A lot of action this episode I don't really understand what's going on in terms of the fighting anymore.
Mar 29, 2022 11:08 PM

Dec 2021
rei's smile was so cute, i love the bond they both have

good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Mar 30, 2022 3:18 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch
Fortress_MaximusMar 30, 2022 3:31 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 3, 2022 2:16 PM

Dec 2020
Rei's smile at the end still melts my heart
May 16, 2022 12:24 AM

Oct 2020
This was a cool little 2-episode arc with the diamond angel threat

We got to see Rei coming out of her shell a little bit (maybe?), but we also saw a lot of compassion on Shinji's part. He not only rushes in to get Rei out of the entry plug after her Eva is damaged, but he let's her know that he cares for her well-being.
I mean, he has every right to resent Rei for slapping him and receiving all of his father's attention, but he genuinely cares for her because he knows she's in a similar position as he is -- both essentially being pawns in this big military defense game.
Jun 27, 2022 7:34 AM

Dec 2007
rei smile = WIN!

pretty much sure that angel knows where they are due to keeping other's angels core.
Sep 14, 2022 10:58 PM
Aug 2022
AAAA rei's smile in the end is so wholesome! i also find it really interesting the way shinji rescues rei very similarly to the way his father did. i'm certain rei will act more positively towards shinji now because i'm assuming that's why rei seemed to be more close to shinji's father, more so than he was to his own son.
Oct 21, 2022 3:12 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This is just but an after-thought, but dang can you imagine the insane logistics that they have to go through in this show, like re-wiring ALL OF JAPAN'S POWER into a single gun??! How they're able to repair evas so quickly despite them probably being pretty expensive machines, how much it cost to develop 20+ layers of armour laid in the ground protecting the geo-front. Speaking of the geo-front, that probably wasn't cheap to construct either. The seem pretty fast at rebuilding the city as well; sure most of the big buildings can go underground in case of an emergency, but the rest of the city looks like it's in pristine condition despite the angel attacks that happened prior to this one. I just wonder if there's going to be an attack where an eva doesn't get severely damaged within the first ten seconds lol

Anyway, another pretty good episode, seeing Shinji being there for Rei, and even vice versa.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 21, 2022 4:20 AM

Aug 2020
no fan service from misato?
Dec 23, 2022 4:57 PM

Jan 2022
This is probably one of my favorite episodes of the series. It does a great job of world building and showing just how massive the influence of NERV is as well as the massive amounts of resources dedicated to their battle with the angels. There's a lot of good mirroring that shows Shinji is more similar to his father than he probably would like to admit. And finally that timeless well earned Kuudere smile.

look how precious
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 29, 2022 11:06 AM

Jul 2021
rei smiling was so great to see. her smile is cute.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2023 11:21 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 21, 2023 12:08 AM

Mar 2016
Ok... NOW I think I can actually start to like Rei. Until the end she still had that ego air about her, with the downside that she had nothing to back it up. She only JUST successfully linked with Unit 00 and she was confidently saying she'd pilot Unit 01 if Shinji backed out (wouldn't have blamed him if he had). Luckily Shinji has a good stubborn streak and didn't shut her out.

While not an battle per say, he whole build up to the take down was the main impressive thing - they were cllearly still in firing range, so joke's on the Angel for giving them all that prep time.

Quite the quick build up of character for Shinji to have been melted through the chest (or felt like he had), and then go to bracing the impact of the blast from another beam followed by calmly setting up that second shot. Rei showing reliability now she's able to pilot her EVA and Shinji managing to make an impact on her by near replicating what his father had done during that failed test (albiet without singeing his palms).

Will be nice to see how Rei and Shinji can work together now that they're not quite strangers anymore. Still hope we don't have to wait too long to find out why Gendou really cares for Rei despite dumping his own son for 3 years and not caring whether Shinji would pilot EVA 01 even though the story's made it clear VERY few have even the potential to synch with an EVA unit :/
Mar 18, 2023 11:13 AM
Aug 2022
loved it, suspense yeeeee
Mar 28, 2023 5:09 AM
Mar 2023
Rei showing emotion for the first time???? Awesome!
Apr 12, 2023 7:19 PM

Mar 2022
What a great episode that was. We got some action in there, short yes but god it was defiantly worth it. And to use all of Japan's electrical energy for those shots? Damn that's pretty hardcore. And we got some character development between Shinji and Rei. She's warming up to him and my god that smile was lovely, I really liked that ending. 
May 8, 2023 2:56 PM
Nov 2022
I thought it was pretty good. Got kind of boring at points but I like the ending and Rae is starting to look like a really good character. I like the energy of them rushing to beat the angel’s drilling.
May 21, 2023 6:31 PM
Feb 2021
One of the all time best anime episodes really. It's great that we finally get to see Shinji accept piloting, and knowing why he does it makes everything to come so much more exciting.
May 25, 2023 4:45 PM
Apr 2020
LFG such a good episode for every reason
Jul 6, 2023 6:01 PM

Apr 2023
rei is so ghostly pale somebody PLEASE get that girl some vitamin d supplements
Jul 8, 2023 12:36 AM
Aug 2020
pretty good episode
Jul 9, 2023 12:59 AM
Sep 2022
one of the best tva episodes
Jan 9, 11:00 PM

Dec 2022
Rei flew me to the moon
Jan 24, 6:57 AM
Aug 2022
EPIC AF... Finally both of the EVA's active in one mission.
Jan 24, 6:57 AM
Aug 2022
EPIC AF... Finally both of the EVA's active in one mission.
Feb 1, 2:24 PM
Dec 2022
Loved how everyone was writen
Mar 4, 9:18 AM

Jul 2017
a truly amazing and intense episode.
the fight was very well directed and the final scene between shinji and rei was incredibly cute, this episode helps to know a little more about rei's personality.
I loved it.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 4, 11:46 PM

Apr 2016
Damn that was fucking exciting!!!! I don't remember this being so damn exciting and interesting the first time around :D I'm glad I'm giving Neon Genesis Evangelion another chance :)
Mar 10, 4:16 AM
Aug 2016
The play of the camera, the use of colors, the aesthetics, when both are changing clothes, the role that both have in the fight and their argument...
I'm really falling in love with Evangelion
There is no one babysitting the protagonist. Stay in bed if you want....

(Perhaps this opinion is influenced by the fact that all this differs in current anime)

And finally the fundamental question! Why do you pilot!!
The final scene is great, will we see a transformation in the girl?
It's intriguing, "it's all I have" (the bond with everyone, but no particular bond with anyone, not even the boy's father).

On the other hand, the enemy is getting closer...
I also liked that the plan was the Captain's idea. Although she later recognizes that it all depends on the pilots.
Mar 21, 4:55 AM

Jul 2021
how did that angel know where to attack

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 1, 5:02 PM
Jul 2023
Another great episode
- These angels keep getting stronger and stronger! Who knows what NERV will need to do to beat the next one, if the 5th took all of Japan’s electricity
- The moment with Rei and Shinji at the end was wholesome, although it was only because she was thinking of Gendo.
Apr 4, 3:55 PM
Apr 2023
I loved that this episode opened up with a big problem that the Angel seems way too strong, but that Mommy Misato then takes huge risks to fight it, like getting an enormous .50 cal sniper and using all of Japans power supply and seeing everything get together,, that mixed with good action, high stakes and Rei smile makes this a really good episode.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.