MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Do you need to watch Vampire Hunter D before watching Bloodlust?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Vampire Hunter D (2000) »» Do you need to watch Vampire Hunter D before watching Bloodlust?

04-03-09, 6:53 PM

Do you need to watch Vampire Hunter D before Bloodlust?

I know Bloodlust is the 2nd movie, but like does it continue where the first ended, or can you watch Bloodlust without watching the first one?

Reason I'm asking is I only found and have a download of Bloodlust..

04-12-09, 2:06 AM

Don't bother the art style is outdated, as I remember both stories are self contained. If you're still curious you better off reading the synopsis somewhere.

11-20-09, 12:59 PM

Yeah, they're both totally self-contained. Also, the first movie has a lot more problems than just old school animation. Just watch Bloodlust.

12-05-09, 8:39 AM

G_P did the subs for the first movie, it is easy to find. I did anyway. It is a one and half hour movie you might as well watch it. I think it was a pretty cool male watchers oriented movie.

02-16-10, 6:22 PM

You don't have to watch the first one, but I did, as I think it helps you to better understand the character
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

08-07-10, 4:11 PM

The first one gives D more character development. The second one assumes you already know the stuff you learned in the first one and also focuses more on the story instead of D. You don't have to watch the first but it will certainly help you understand him. The graphics are poor so if your not into older anime styled movies then you'll probably struggle through it.

09-21-10, 2:31 PM

I recall hearing that Bloodlust's story is standalone, but it seemed as though there were quite a few things left more or less entirely unexplained, most of which occurred in the film's last half hour or so. For example,

Perhaps I need to watch it again.
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
- The Little Prince

08-29-11, 1:02 AM

Im not sure if these are real questions or example questions but just in case, Ill answer them from what I know.

The spaceship would take the Vampire and the girl to a space station formerly used by Vampires in a much earlier era. This would let them live by themselves without worrying about humans trying to kill them.

Meier came back to life because Vampires can do that. Also, D didnt cut him in half, Carmilla killed him while showing him a vision of D. Carmilla I guess just needed a lot of blood to revive.

I just watched the movie for the first time and I really liked it. I should read the novels...
Blergh.

08-23-13, 10:47 PM

no, you don't have to

09-29-13, 5:37 AM

While indeed both movies are standalone, I strongly recommend you watch the first one as well, especially if you are into westerns, because that movie has a strong western vibe in it. I myself like the 85 movie more than Bloodlust. Both are masterpieces imo.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices