Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 30, 2014 10:44 AM

Aug 2012
Whats the catch? Whats the big deal about the series? Am I missing something
Jan 30, 2014 10:54 AM

Mar 2012
It has lesbians I only saw the anime and it was pretty good, but this is from its Wikipedia article.
Wikipedia said:
Fred Patten credits her with popularizing the concept of a team of magical girls, and Paul Gravett credits the series with revitalizing the magical girl genre itself. Sailor Moon redefined the magical girl genre, as previous magical girls did not use their powers to fight evil, but this has become one of the standard archetypes of the genre.
Commentators detect in the anime adaptation of Sailor Moon "a more shonen tone", appealing to a wider audience than the manga, which aimed squarely at teenage girls. The media franchise became one of the most successful Japan has ever had
Critics have commended the anime series for its portrayal of strong friendships, as well as for its large cast of "strikingly different" characters who have different dimensions and aspects to them as the story continues, and for an ability to appeal to a wide audience. Writer Nicolas Penedo attributes the success of Sailor Moon to its fusion of the shōjo manga genre of magical girls with the Super Sentai fighting teams. According to Martha Cornog and Timothy Perper, Sailor Moon became popular because of its "strongly-plotted action with fight scenes, rescues" and its "emphasis on feelings and relationships", including some "sexy romance" between Usagi and Mamoru. The romance of Usagi and Mamoru has been seen as an archetype where the lovers "become more than the sum of their parts", promising to be together forever. In contrast, others see Sailor Moon as campy and melodramatic. Criticism has singled out its use of formulaic plots, monsters of the day, and stock footage.
In his 2007 book Manga: The Complete Guide, Jason Thompson gave the manga series 3 / 4 stars. He enjoyed the blending of shōnen and shōjo styles, stating that the combat scenes seemed heavily influenced by Saint Seiya, but shorter and less bloody, and noting that the manga itself appeared similar to Super Sentai television shows. While Thompson found the series fun and entertaining, the repetitive plot lines were a detriment to the title which the increasing quality of art could not make up for; even so, he still states that the series is "sweet, effective entertainment". Thompson states that although the audience for Sailor Moon is both male and female, Takeuchi does not use excessive fanservice for males, which would run the risk of alienating her female audience. Thompson states that fight scenes are not physical and "boil down to their purest form of a clash of wills", which he argues "makes thematic sense" for the manga.

When comparing the manga and anime, Sylvian Durand first notes that the manga artwork is gorgeous, but that the storytelling is more compressed and erratic, and that the anime has more character development. Durand felt "the sense of tragedy is greater" in the manga's telling of the "fall of the Silver Millennium", giving more detail on the origins of the Shitennou and on Usagi's final battle with Beryl and Metalia. Durand feels that the anime leaves out information which makes the story easier to understand, but judges the anime more "coherent", with a better balance of comedy and tragedy, whereas the manga is "more tragic" and focused on Usagi and Mamoru's romance.
Jan 30, 2014 10:55 AM

Aug 2012
When I researched online the only answer I found was "lesbians" lol :O
Jan 30, 2014 10:57 AM

Mar 2012
xXTensaZenXx said:
Well, it has probably the best cast of lesbians in anime/manga for a non-yuri series. Treated as people and lovers, instead of being ridiculed, stereotyped, or relegated to minor as hell characters.
Jan 30, 2014 10:59 AM

Aug 2012
yazio said:
xXTensaZenXx said:
Well, it has probably the best cast of lesbians in anime/manga for a non-yuri series. Treated as people and lovers, instead of being ridiculed, stereotyped, or relegated to minor as hell characters.

I suppose. So besides the wiki article you quoted, that did you think made it a good show? is it worth the hype?
Jan 30, 2014 12:24 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to Sailor moon manga board.
Jan 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Mar 2012
xXTensaZenXx said:
yazio said:
xXTensaZenXx said:

I suppose. So besides the wiki article you quoted, that did you think made it a good show? is it worth the hype?
I suppose you mean about the new series, it seems like just a revival. I doubt it's worth it unless you are a fan of the 90's series. It's what defined the magical girl genre, so it'll be cliché as hell by today's standards.
Dec 2, 2021 9:42 PM
Dec 2017
One of the biggest reasons why its so influential is due to the story focusing on many themes such as love and romance and the friendships between girls and you can see many motifs and callbacks in many pop culture today.

More topics from this board

» What would happen if Usagi was forced to marry Kurt Cobain and have a baby with him?

Saori_Shun - Mar 20

3 by phoenix132 »»
Mar 20, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Chapter 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 5, 2014

5 by Jakester95 »»
Aug 15, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Chapter 14 Discussion

witchwings - Sep 27, 2014

3 by GolfTennisBall »»
Mar 27, 2023 12:51 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Chapter 12 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 11, 2014

5 by GolfTennisBall »»
Mar 23, 2023 12:34 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Chapter 1 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Aug 5, 2014

3 by simplyedlena »»
Mar 10, 2023 7:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.