Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 20, 2013 4:38 PM

Mar 2013
i just finished whatching the series and i feel broken ......

am i just a cry baby or this shit is that good ?

switching betwin L.O.L. and crying whit the last third of the series .... was hard to take ... but soo good ;)
Dec 20, 2013 4:39 PM

Apr 2013
It was too short.

I barely know the names of the other characters except from Kanade, Yui, Yuri, Hinata, Otonashi, TK and Shiina...

Dec 20, 2013 4:40 PM
Jan 2013
Happens to everyone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2013 4:41 PM
Oct 2013
It's normal to cry during Angel Beats if it really did touch you, the show is very good, it's not a masterpiece imo, but it definitely has that potential to do what it did to you.

The anime of course isn't for everyone as you'll see in impending posts blasting the show for reasons you might not want to hear, beware OP.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Dec 20, 2013 4:42 PM

Jul 2011
That is sad man

Hulmy said:
Happens to everyone.

Not everyone
Dec 20, 2013 4:43 PM
Oct 2010
The problem with the show was it's length. Too many characters are ignored and they didn't bother to address the issue of each member of cast.
Dec 20, 2013 4:43 PM
May 2010
Despite the fact a bunch of people may come in here screaming about how terrible it is... I thought it was pretty much completely amazing and just as sad as you are implying /shrug.

skudoops said:
The problem with the show was it's length. Too many characters are ignored and they didn't bother to address the issue of each member of cast.

I bet you if they actually had spent more time doing that, people would have accused the show of being dragged out and having terrible pacing.
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 20, 2013 4:44 PM

Jan 2011
you might need a happy anime to cheer you up, i recommend Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen an Now and Then Here and There
Dec 20, 2013 4:44 PM
May 2010
silversaint said:
you might need a happy anime to cheer you up, i recommend Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen an Now and Then Here and There

I think its a trap..
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 20, 2013 4:53 PM

Apr 2013
miereneronaile said:
Despite the fact a bunch of people may come in here screaming about how terrible it is... I thought it was pretty much completely amazing and just as sad as you are implying /shrug.

skudoops said:

I bet you if they actually had spent more time doing that, people would have accused the show of being dragged out and having terrible pacing.
13 isn't enough. 22 at least could have given closure to some of the characters. As I have said earlier, I don't know the names of half of the cast since they were barely there.

Dec 20, 2013 4:57 PM

Dec 2012
skudoops said:

this

I wasn't sad when I finished watching Angel Beats. Simply, I moved on and watched Elfen Lied.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Dec 20, 2013 4:58 PM

Jan 2012
the anime was too short for me to develop any feelings for the characters... not enough to make me cry, the music had more emoton!!! (nor being sarcastic i did feel more power from the OP and ED)
Dec 20, 2013 4:59 PM
May 2010
Hiryu12 said:
miereneronaile said:

skudoops said:

13 isn't enough. 22 at least could have given closure to some of the characters. As I have said earlier, I don't know the names of half of the cast since they were barely there.

And? I can see that knowing more about them may be enjoyable but I really dont see how it was in any way negative to NOT know more about them. You knew a fair bit about Otonashi/Kanade/Yuri/Yui/Hinata/Iwasawa and thats easily enough characters in 'reasonable' depth to work for such a short show imo.

Its not like I would complain about having had more back stories explained, but I seriously think if they had added 10 episodes of peoples back stories, ti would have been ridiculed for terrible pacing.

Especially since really the plot they used could have done one or two more episodes at best without needing filler.

randompadley said:
the anime was too short for me to develop any feelings for the characters... not enough to make me cry, the music had more emoton!!! (nor being sarcastic i did feel more power from the OP and ED)

Yea, the music was powerful, and generally directly related to the characters, or damn close to it.. If its making you feel emotion then at least some of it should be related to the characters /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 20, 2013 5:00 PM
Dec 20, 2013 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
Just think of it as prep for something like Clannad After Story.

Hiryu12 said:
miereneronaile said:

skudoops said:

Agreed. Also short 13 rushed episodes counts as a pacing issue. I believe people much rather have more developed characters in a drawn out anime instead of lack of story/development.
Dec 20, 2013 5:02 PM
May 2010
Tazu said:
Just think of it as prep for something like Clannad After Story.

Hiryu12 said:
miereneronaile said:

skudoops said:

Agreed. Also short 13 rushed episodes counts as a pacing issue. I believe people much rather have more developed characters in a drawn out anime instead of lack of story/development.

I dont know, it seems to me that calling it rushed implies there was more story than really fits into 13 episodes, and then right after it you say there was a lack of story?
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 20, 2013 5:04 PM

Aug 2013

I say rushed because they packed a lot into few episodes without giving the audience enough time to breathe and take it in. And yes it was rushed AND did not give enough story to back it up. It is possible to do both.
Dec 20, 2013 5:05 PM

Apr 2013
@miereneronaile Well, I don't know if Angel Beats! had any fillers, but if it did, then it was a mistake. A lot of people here have mentioned that they didn't cry because they didn't connect with the characters as much as they have wanted. I mean a lot of people cried in Clannad AS from
and that's because of the character development and the time they took to watch the character (although personally, I didn't)

Also taking it in a point of view wherein we watch Angel Beats! one episode a week (airing). This would further worsen the problem of not connecting to the supporting characters.

As for problems when it comes to pacing, we won't really know if it would drag or would be better. But chances are, it would have been better.

I read an article that even Jun Maeda wanted it to be longer.

Dec 20, 2013 5:05 PM
Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:

skudoops said:

I don't think so. It was so bad that one character actually only has one line in the show and they made a joke that no one knew who he was in one of the episodes (even they were aware how little development this dude had). 20-24 episodes would have been fine honestly, and a possible character count reduction, like removing that person I mentioned above.
Dec 20, 2013 5:06 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belongs under anime being discussed

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 20, 2013 5:08 PM
May 2010
Potential spoilers everywhere and all, beware.

Well, to me that seems like a bit of a hypocritical thing to say really. Still, my main issue with what you guys are saying is that I think the story of Angel Beats could not have done any more than one or two episodes at BEST. Adding in more character back stories as something akin to 'filler' could have dragged it out a bit longer sure. They had heaps of interesting seeming characters in there, and could have done 10 episodes easily. The thing is, if they HAD done that I suspect a lot of people complaining about it being to short would suddenly find that the 10 episodes they wanted added to it just dragged it out horribly.

Ignoring that, the only way they could really have made the back stories come out is if they somehow made Otonashi go around and actually solve EVERYONES problems. Honestly, that would have just been boring to watch after a while. I just do not really see that they could have reasonably added what you guys want in without dragging it out horribly.

@Hiryu12
I dont mind it being LONGER, exactly. I just think the specific things you guys are mentioning would not really work if thats what they focused on adding. I mean seriously, you guys want 10 more episodes of insanely depressing character back stories? You think that would make the show BETTER? I just feel like they would have to have totally changed the plot of the whole show to suit 24 episodes. The one they used would simply run out of material well before then and the only way they could justify constantly showing back stories is if Otonashi kept having to fix everyone and send them on their way, and as if they wouldnt all notice what he was doing(they DID, or Yuri did notice which basically cut out any chance of that happening.)
miereneronaileDec 20, 2013 5:11 PM
Worships Asparagus.

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.