Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2016 12:11 AM

Apr 2015
woofiewilly said:
Good god. I'm just trying to imagine how amazing the ending would have been if it basically revealed that it was all his imagination. Like after he spoke to her, Hiroomi came up and asked "who are you talking to?"

He looks at him, then looks back to find that Mirai isn't there anymore. With a confused feeling he replies, "no one..."

"Are you okay Akkey?"

Slightly depressed while still pondering what happened, "yeah, I'm fine."

Maybe I shouldn't write endings...
Way better than the ending they did. Instead of making me and everyone utterly confused, they should've made this the ending. That way, the people who watched KnK won't end up asking what the hell they just watched.

If only your ending was canon, I could have rated KnK a little bit higher.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 20, 2016 4:50 PM

Jan 2014
Going to quote my own post from the last episode's discussion here. Be interesting to see whether anybody can answer any of the questions.

Laionidas said:
WolfChaos said:
I just marathoned this show. I have to say I liked it quite a bit. I'd totally watch more if it gets a second season. Anyways I'll give this an 8/10.

Same here. Good to watch, sympathetic characters, excellent production values, and some nice plot twists, even though the plot itself had more holes than swiss cheese. Didn't expect those straight up confessions by the way. 8/10

I was left with some questions though:

• How did Mirai come back?
  • How many litres of blood does Mirai's petite body contain; did she not tend to faint after using her blade for a few slashes?
  • Where did Izumi go?
  • Why was there a youmo in Izumi, and what was it?
  • Why was there a youmo in Fujima, and what was it?
  • What motive did Fujima have in aiding the KnK, what motive could he possibly have?
  • What exactly is Akihito, who is his 'father'?
  • If the solution was for Akihito to return the KnK inside of him, what exactly was the point of Izumi's and Mirai's actions, what exactly was the point of this series?
  • What exactly is Kanbara Yayoi, wasn't she supposed to be a 'normal' human?
  • How can Sakura still see everything youmo related even without the scythe; is it because of the bell?
  • What is that bell on Sakura's neck?
  • What happened to Sakura's parents, are they o.k. with their only remaining daughter's life choices?
  • Are there any other humanoid youmo other than Ai and Ayaka?
  • If youmo are born of negative emotions, what exactly are Ai and Ayaka?
  • If Ayaka buys all the stones, what does she do with them?
  • Who is Nonomiya's hairdresser, who fixes her hair in the middle of the night in five minutes?
  • Why does Mitsuki get so little love, why is even her jealousy about Mirai x Akihito left completely unadressed?

Also, maybe a question to other viewers: why does everyone dislike Izumi? Yeah, she was more or less the bad guy, but she pretty much had to be.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 14, 2016 3:39 PM
Apr 2016
If y'all still wondering, it's all explained in the second movie "beyond the boundary: I will be here, future arc."
Enjoy!!!

"I created an account just to make this post LOL " :'>
Apr 18, 2016 7:29 PM
Master NEET
Oct 2010
So if you want the ending to make sense here u go:

Remember how Kuriyama disappeared from the real world with beyond the boundary?

Well she didn't die, she just transferred dimensions as stated by Akihito's mother.

So what do you think happens when beyond the boundary returns to Akihito's body?

Well Kuriyamas going to disappear from the dimension created by beyond the boundary and return to the real world... She never died in the first place.
Apr 18, 2016 7:41 PM
Master NEET
Oct 2010
For those that liked guilty crown more than Kyoukai no Kanata you should thank Sawano Hiroyuki.

Remember, if you want an anime with crappy plot to sell, just ask Sawano Hiroyuki to make all your soundtracks and it will sell really well.
May 28, 2016 9:57 PM
May 2014
eccchiman said:
For those that liked guilty crown more than Kyoukai no Kanata you should thank Sawano Hiroyuki.

Remember, if you want an anime with crappy plot to sell, just ask Sawano Hiroyuki to make all your soundtracks and it will sell really well.

That's not true! Sevens Sins was awesome!

Like the part where Elizabeth gets inexplicable super powers and her theme music, Eliones, plays with a full orchestra and choir and... oh... well, that scene may have been made by the music, but what about Meliodas' character? Every time he shows that glint in his eye and the Celtic fiddles start to play... oh.

I see your point.
May 29, 2016 8:40 PM
May 2016
I think when she stabbed him as to defeat the boundary the first time her she ceased to physically exist, but kept existing in the boundary. When the boundary becomes part of akkey again its as if she became part of him, deep inside. Trying to deny that, he captured her ring, proof of her previous existence in the physical world. But when he absorbs the ring later he comes to accept her death and be conscious of her inside of him. This happens after he says he continues to live even without her, even if he suffers that way. You can leave that as if she still literally lives inside of him as part of his demon boubdary self or as if she is within him as part of his memories. I prefer the latter interpretation since i think it makes more sense, and while the other its still a possibility they dont give you enough proof of it in the series as to conclude it is that way it ended.
But yes this ending reminds me of the one of clannad after story because of that hope after such despair and the ambiguity as to if she really stayed alive or not.
I dont know what to do with this kind of endings, should i cry, be happy or just feel confused.
May 29, 2016 11:56 PM
May 2014
eccchiman said:
So if you want the ending to make sense here u go:

Remember how Kuriyama disappeared from the real world with beyond the boundary?

Well she didn't die, she just transferred dimensions as stated by Akihito's mother.

So what do you think happens when beyond the boundary returns to Akihito's body?

Well Kuriyamas going to disappear from the dimension created by beyond the boundary and return to the real world... She never died in the first place.

I love how succinct your explanation is.

BUT, if that's the case, why the wait? I mean, does it really take all that long for her to reconstitute? Why a pause of several weeks followed by a sudden return?
Aug 8, 2016 4:58 PM
Aug 2016
So to all who think that this was a "terrible ending" or her sacrifice was "useless" let me enlighten you. Now this is my interpretation but I do believe this was the authors motives and I will try my best to back it up with proof. At the end you see Mirai but sadly she is not alive she is intact a figment of Akihito's imagination. The reason she is there and also the reason for her sacrifice is to serve as a reminder to Akihito of who he is, why he's fought for, and why he must live on. Back in Episode 11 Mirai states this in her text to Akihito after he awoke from his coma, "People say that my powers are cursed. People say they detest my powers. But I've come to realize that my powers aren't meant to hurt others! They're meant to save people!" Her sacrifice was meant to save Akihito. Now I bet you're thinking but wait didn't the Beyond the Boundary just re-infect Akihito and nothing was accomplished, how did she save him? First off in Episode 12 Akihito was never "re-infected" by the yommu he took the BYB back on his own free will because he wouldn't allow it to steal his feelings away from himself, he realized the BYB was part of himself so he took himself back in a sense. She taught him that he wasn't cursed by the yommu that he didn't have to allow it to reek havoc and instead use it to save others (as he did when he and Mirai were inside the BYB). She stood there at the end as a reminder to use his powers to save others and also to remind him why she sacrificed herself and also to remind him the cost of what it's taken to get this far and to never give up.
Aug 26, 2016 2:58 PM

Mar 2016
Philip_Hubbe said:
vanetz said:
She didn't return. She's still dead. Now she is a figment of Akihito's imagination, borne from the feeling of guilt over being unable to prevent her ultimately useless sacrifice.

I like to think that, because otherwise I've wasted 12 episodes' worth of time only to get an ending with an effing Disney Death for the sake of a retarded Happy Ending.

This is a step in the right direction and has some truth behind it; however, I think I have the answer as to how Mirai Kuriyama is actually alive

Here is some background to my explanation

1. For a character to exist in this anime, they need both a body / form and a spirit. This is pretty easy to observe when considering how youmu's spirits are preserved in stones when cut out of the host. (Beyond the Boundary Stone is a split spirit)

2. Special cases like Beyond the Boundary and the Dark Shadow are able to carry spirits with them. For example the dark shadow infected Sakura Inami and Beyond the Boundary infected both main characters

Now that everyone's caught up I can explain what happened.

Akihito Kanbara possessed Beyond the Boundary first.
When Mirai Kuriyama sacrificed herself by stabbing Akihito and sucking out Beyond the Boundary, Beyound the Boundary quote, "fused with her blood." (actually said in the anime) We can assume that since Mirai is able to communicate with Akihito, as they both have some Beyond the Boundary in them, that her spirit resides in Beyond the Boundary as well.

Mirai Kuriyama says the's a dream because she isn't a living entity, not because she died.

After this happens, Akihito breaks through the dimension and takes back Beyond the Boundary. We know this because Mirai says "Beyond the Boundary has returned to you." Both the body / form and spirit of Mirai that are possessed in Beyond the Boundary, are now a part of Akihito Kanbara.

From there, Akihito (still a living entity) is able to re-birth Mirai Kuriyama with Beyond the Boundary and willpower.

^ I like happy endings, and I like sad endings but I want this one to be a happy one so I'll believe this. Btw they made a movie to be the sequel to the anime, it fills in almost all the plot holes besides who akihito's father is or who exactly his mother is. Theres also a episode 0 that shows how akihito met hiroomi and mitsuki and came under the nase house protection.
kidbooAug 26, 2016 3:04 PM

Sep 5, 2016 5:41 AM
Sep 2016
Have you seen the movie? It shows Mirai having memory loss after returning alive at the roof.
Oct 24, 2016 11:16 AM
Oct 2016
that's what I was thinking while reading some of the comments, watch the end of the first movie (cuz the rest of it is just all the episodes), then watch the mirai-hen movie. then you will understand. I guess....
Feb 8, 2017 8:09 AM
May 2016
Philip_Hubbe said:
vanetz said:
She didn't return. She's still dead. Now she is a figment of Akihito's imagination, borne from the feeling of guilt over being unable to prevent her ultimately useless sacrifice.

I like to think that, because otherwise I've wasted 12 episodes' worth of time only to get an ending with an effing Disney Death for the sake of a retarded Happy Ending.

This is a step in the right direction and has some truth behind it; however, I think I have the answer as to how Mirai Kuriyama is actually alive

Here is some background to my explanation

1. For a character to exist in this anime, they need both a body / form and a spirit. This is pretty easy to observe when considering how youmu's spirits are preserved in stones when cut out of the host. (Beyond the Boundary Stone is a split spirit)

2. Special cases like Beyond the Boundary and the Dark Shadow are able to carry spirits with them. For example the dark shadow infected Sakura Inami and Beyond the Boundary infected both main characters

Now that everyone's caught up I can explain what happened.

Akihito Kanbara possessed Beyond the Boundary first.
When Mirai Kuriyama sacrificed herself by stabbing Akihito and sucking out Beyond the Boundary, Beyound the Boundary quote, "fused with her blood." (actually said in the anime) We can assume that since Mirai is able to communicate with Akihito, as they both have some Beyond the Boundary in them, that her spirit resides in Beyond the Boundary as well.

Mirai Kuriyama says the's a dream because she isn't a living entity, not because she died.

After this happens, Akihito breaks through the dimension and takes back Beyond the Boundary. We know this because Mirai says "Beyond the Boundary has returned to you." Both the body / form and spirit of Mirai that are possessed in Beyond the Boundary, are now a part of Akihito Kanbara.

From there, Akihito (still a living entity) is able to re-birth Mirai Kuriyama with Beyond the Boundary and willpower.

They should have explained it better. They didn't even explain it in the sequel.
Feb 14, 2017 5:38 PM
May 2014
Just finished watching. Was totally confused. Arriverd here only to realize... I was right to be confused :. (
While the ending does remind me of Guilty Crown, it hurts my soul more like Gokukoku no Brynhildr did. (No I did not read the manga, so yes I was completly baffled by the ending) Slap you with a surprise during the credits bs is terrible. Makes me feel like I wasted my time...
May 15, 2017 8:25 AM
May 2017
Hard to believe that Kuriyama-san is dead.
I'm just disappointed with the ending,but yeah we can't do anything.It's up to the creator who made the ending of this anime. So sad:(
Jul 4, 2017 3:20 AM
Jul 2016
Beyond the Boundary got a sequel movie (that many are not aware of) which continues where the first part left....The 2nd Beyond the Boundary movie (1st one is basically a recap of the Anime)
Aug 5, 2017 7:58 PM
Aug 2017
Its honestly pretty crystal clear..We were told that Youmu were created by sorrow and regrets..and their stone was their "core"..Therefore, her ring was some sort of core/stone just like that, so when all of the Youmu "came back" to the real world, so did she. But in this case, she's a Youmu. She was made by Akihitos Sorrow and regrets..
Aug 21, 2017 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
Esclair said:
LN doesn't have the answers as the 2nd arc was anime original.

If true, this is exhibit A why anime should stick to source material.

First arc was decent; if nothing else, it made sense. The second arc felt like KyoAni copping the craziness of Kyousougiga, except ending with a freaking reset (Beyond the Boundary is alive inside him still, Mirai is alive(?), the rooftop scene tying back to the very first scene in episode 1 oh-so-very-nicely). Makes me wonder exactly what all that crazy arc accomplished at the end. No one dies, Akihiro's youmu is still a threat, all's well that ends well?

And no, making two movies over a year after the TV anime to explain the senselessness does not excuse the TV anime from doing its job correctly in the first place. I doubt they made the TV series knowing that they were going to make two more movies.
Sep 28, 2017 11:27 PM
Jan 2017
Wait what? So Mirai really died? And I finished it a year ago thinking she's still alive. I mean, wow.
Sep 28, 2017 11:30 PM
Jan 2017
l
Laionidas said:
Going to quote my own post from the last episode's discussion here. Be interesting to see whether anybody can answer any of the questions.

Laionidas said:

Same here. Good to watch, sympathetic characters, excellent production values, and some nice plot twists, even though the plot itself had more holes than swiss cheese. Didn't expect those straight up confessions by the way. 8/10

I was left with some questions though:

• How did Mirai come back?
  • How many litres of blood does Mirai's petite body contain; did she not tend to faint after using her blade for a few slashes?
  • Where did Izumi go?
  • Why was there a youmo in Izumi, and what was it?
  • Why was there a youmo in Fujima, and what was it?
  • What motive did Fujima have in aiding the KnK, what motive could he possibly have?
  • What exactly is Akihito, who is his 'father'?
  • If the solution was for Akihito to return the KnK inside of him, what exactly was the point of Izumi's and Mirai's actions, what exactly was the point of this series?
  • What exactly is Kanbara Yayoi, wasn't she supposed to be a 'normal' human?
  • How can Sakura still see everything youmo related even without the scythe; is it because of the bell?
  • What is that bell on Sakura's neck?
  • What happened to Sakura's parents, are they o.k. with their only remaining daughter's life choices?
  • Are there any other humanoid youmo other than Ai and Ayaka?
  • If youmo are born of negative emotions, what exactly are Ai and Ayaka?
  • If Ayaka buys all the stones, what does she do with them?
  • Who is Nonomiya's hairdresser, who fixes her hair in the middle of the night in five minutes?
  • Why does Mitsuki get so little love, why is even her jealousy about Mirai x Akihito left completely unadressed?

Also, maybe a question to other viewers: why does everyone dislike Izumi? Yeah, she was more or less the bad guy, but she pretty much had to be.

Lol, I had similar questions except for that hairdresser thingy.
Sep 29, 2017 1:33 AM

Jan 2014
EminaSakura said:
Laionidas said:

Lol, I had similar questions except for that hairdresser thingy.

Go watch the movie and dwell in even more confusion. The weirdest thing about all, is that the movie is rated 8.32/10.00 on MAL. It's just a case of high production values not matching substance, like Michael Bay directed an anime on the emotional level of My Little Pony.

After the movie, the vast majority of the above questions still stand, and simply more were added. I'm going to quote myself again (beware of movie spoilers:)

"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 17, 2017 9:01 AM
Dec 2017
Well, firstly, I don't get why people hate this anime so much. Like, yes, it wasn't perfect, but it was a nice anime imo. It was quite nice.
Now, as for the ending, it isn't really something that you need to break your head to understand. It's quite a simple, and rather very good ending, to this story. It can be percieved in likes of the viewer, meaning it can be either happy or sad.
So drawing some conclusions, I came up with both. Choose one according to your preference.:)

Happy Ending:
This is very obvious- they reunite in the end. Yup, simple. Here are some points to support this theory:
× We know, from Akkey's dream, that a little part of Mirai's blood was still present in his body after she stabbed him and took KnK within herself. Mirai says this herself.
× This can also be the reason why Mirai was actually able to create a 'puppet' of Akihito within KnK when she was fighting. She was able to 'connect' with him.
× Even, Akkey, with Mirai's blood in him, was able to do the same. So therefore, even after Mirai 'crumbled' when KnK went back to Akkey's body, a figment of Mirai still remained within his body. It's almost like when a part of the whole Kyoukai no Kanata was housed within his body. Like it was not the whole shade, but only a part of it, it was not the whole of Mirai's body, but a part of her blood, that was within him.
×After the whole war-and-conquer scenario was done, and after Mirai was supposedly gone, the strong feelings Akkey had harboured inside him for Mirai, along with the powers of the KnK, began to almost 'reconstruct' her, with her cursed blood that was inside him. And so, the KnK was able to recreate the body of Mirai once again.
×As for the ring, it might have had a strong, spiritual connection with Mirai (since it was given by the Inamis to her, I think, since she had a deep relationship with them- think Yui and Sakura). Therefore, when she was recreated, her ring too went back to her, because maybe she was 'incomplete' without it. When it did, Akkey got a sign and immiedetly rushed towards the place which had a deep connection with both their lives- the place they first met.

That was for the happy part. Now, for you angst lovers:
They both never met after KnK went back to Akihito. Basically, Mirai never came back. Facts that suggest this:
×The biggest supporter for this theory, is a dialogue said by Akkey in the end.
~" If our story ended after a reunion like that, I don't think any story in this world would be worth
telling."~
This dialogue is kinda vague, and it can mean a number of things. But here, I personally think how he wants to signify the approach of these supposed "happy endings". Not all stories end happy, he wants to convey.
×He says that is true in his case too. After Mirai dissipitated in the realm created by KnK, and after he returned back to the real world, he never met Mirai again, basically saying that Mirai is dead. So his story, of which Mirai was an important part, had a bitter end.
×Also, when he rushes up to the rooftop, the others give him confused looks since tgey cannot see anyone there. So, maybe, since the spot of first meeting always has a deep significance in love, Akkey, actually 'dreamed' that Mirai had come back. Maybe, he felt so because of the deep feelings he had for Mirai.
×And for the ring, maybe its disapperence suggested that everyone had accepted the fact that Mirai was completely gone from this world, and had finally moved on. And so, everything that showed she existed, vanished- except all their memories of her.

If you compare the two, you will find that the second theory is more likely. It takes shape from absolute facts, things that we actually saw. The first one is more abstract and imaginative. It depends on how you view the story. As for me, I like happy endings ^_^.

There is no definite theory for how Kyoukai no Kanata ended. The series is fantasy, and takes the help of your imagination. And so, the ending too, is fantasy- it's your imagination, and anything can happen. No one can really modify what you think. They can only help you. :D

Nov 1, 2018 2:53 AM
Dec 2016
She Was Alive When She Seprated KnK From akihito! maybe she have some more powers its only my theory what she did was seperated her blood and akihitos knk power from both their bodies and no one was present to see this! only akihito's mother knows what was happening as she took a promise from mirais mother that she will watch her! akihito's mother came to retrive mirai's body when she removed her glasses as they both were in coma fighting the KnK in another dimension Up! after akihito wakesup He Listen The Unknown Sounds Which was Mirais Blood with grey glasses fighting the KnK which doesnt need rest and dont need to eat anything where as mirais body (real body) was safe with akihitos mom! when akihitos mom came back to the literature club she know everything and gave akihito his dream shade to save mirais blood from KnK when Akihito went to fight the KnK He meets Mirais Blood! and they bth fight KnK now the main point why mirai Shatter! cause mirais blood was fighting KnK it went back to akihito KnK was Akihitos own power so now the Blood which was Absorbed By KnK goes into Akihito! thats why she shattered! how mirai return to roof top? because akihito's mom knew what was happening the ring which Mirai had was also made with blood mirai was alive after the battle she wakesup from a coma same as akihito and she summoned her blood back from the fight and the ring
at the rooftop where they both first met! so now akihito sensed mirai and went to roof top with her glasses! so the mirai without glasses was real Mirai not a fake or a fragment of akihitos memory ! cause she didnt have the glasses because the real mirais glasses was left with akihito! thats why when real mirai comes to the roof top akihito gives her glasses back MAKING THIS SHIT A HAPPY ENDING!
Nov 13, 2018 4:39 AM

Aug 2018
I highly suggest you check out the 2nd movie, explains the ending and gives a MUCH more satisfactory one.
Jan 31, 2023 10:36 PM
Jun 2020
SolitaryYates said:
Someone mentioned that since Akihito can now have more control over the "Beyond the Boundary" that exists within him and Mirai being a part of the Boundary, his feelings have come through for her to exist within the world.

This means in reality, Mirai is dead and the Mirai we saw at the ending and during the battle is a construct of the "Beyond the Boundary".

Kinda depressing when you think about it.

Kind of depressing? The Mirai we’ve known for the first 10 or so episodes, the Mirai that Akihito fell in love with, is completely gone. That tragic little cinnamon roll who was beaten by villagers, used by the spirit hunter association, went her entire life believing she was cursed… she dies, without a happy ending in sight. She gets the couple episodes/days worth of friendship with the gang and then ends up sacrificing herself for a dude who *didn’t want that sacrifice to be made* and ultimately that sacrifice didn’t even *matter.*

Her *clone* comes back. Without her memories. And lives the life that the original deserved with the gang.

That’s enough depression to kill a baby unicorn.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.