Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 11, 2013 5:41 PM
Oct 2013
Has any of this been fleshed out in the manga, novel or any other materials? Is there a place adults go to if they die with regrets? Do people have memories of their past lives? (the final scene could give this impression, but maybe they just experience deja vu) Does heaven as we think of it even exist or do these people just endlessly reincarnate for eternity? (honestly, that sounds depressing to me).

I don't expect anybody to know the answers to these questions, but it could be fun to talk about.
Nov 11, 2013 5:57 PM
Mar 2013
1.) I would assume adults go to a similar place that the children do when they have regrets. I wouldn't see any reason otherwise.

2.) I'd like to think that heaven exists in the anime. When the kids die they are placed in that temporary world until they can fulfill all of the regrets in life. After that they can move onto heaven.

3.) Honestly, I think that the teaser ending might have been a special case for Otonashi and Kanade, where they get to relive their lives (because of true love or something) and not everyone gets reincarnated.

Well, that's my take on things. But even if there was no heaven and people endlessly reincarnated it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

After all, humanity is still moving forward, people who are reincarnated can still contribute to society (like become engineers) and create more technology etc.

So basically even though they're reincarnated they never experience the same world twice! Things will change so it's not like being stuck in an endless loop.
Nov 11, 2013 6:33 PM
Oct 2013
Well reincarnation is mentioned several times, so I figured that's what happened to everyone. I just wondered if it ever stopped at some point.

I just think it sucks that they would have to experience the hardships of life over and over again, whether they remember all of their lives or not. And each time they die they'd be separated from the people they love, most likely never seeing them again or even remembering them. A final happy place like heaven seems much better.
Nov 11, 2013 6:50 PM
Mar 2013
After thinking about it some more, I think that they do go to heaven.

Let me see if I can explain.

1.) We know that Otonashi and Kanade were reincarnated because we can see both of them in the ending.

2.) We know that the reason they were reincarnated is because they died prematurely (i.e. they did not realize their hopes and dreams).

3.) Until these "hopes" and "dreams" are fulfilled people will be reincarnated over and over again.

4.) Once someone accomplishes their dream (i.e. find true love and happiness) and they die, then they will break the cycle of reincarnation and finally be released to heaven.

Maybe this is why we rarely see any adults in the Angel Beats world. Adults are older and have probably lived long and happy lives so they have no regrets and can go to heaven in peace.
Nov 12, 2013 6:24 AM

Feb 2012
^I really like that theory of yours ^_^ but I would say that the chances of Yui and Hinata both being reincarnated is high as well~

either way, all I can say is wait for the VN to be released (in all 6 parts >.>) to hopefully officially answer all these questions ^_^
Nov 12, 2013 9:28 AM
Mar 2013
There's going to be a VN? I had no idea, is it a continuation or just a retelling of the story in VG format?
Nov 13, 2013 3:51 AM

Feb 2012
I heard it's going to be a retelling, since Maeda didn't get to write exactly what he wanted in the anime :S

it comes out spring 2014 apparently, and there will be 6 volumes. In other words, you get a common route and a few character stories in the first volume, then volume 2 you get more character routes etc

I'd link you, but the only links I know have spoilers for what has been revealed so far, but you can use google-sensei to find proof ^_^

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.