Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2013 5:38 PM

May 2013
Is there any good anime with a fantasy or medieval theme? Anything I find seems to be pure fan service with no plot whatsoever. Anything coming up?

Oct 16, 2013 5:52 PM

Mar 2008
War / Politics / Epic:

Kingdom - set during China's Warring States period. Vaguely historically accurate; stylised battle-tactics and super-warrior generals. Some can't take the CGI.
Guin Saga - a generally well liked - sprawling 'epic'. (I can't really recall any details myself.)
12 Kingdoms - sucked into another world adventure. Acclaimed for the character realism/developement; some find the angst trying.
Utawarerumono - Escalating scale of battle from bands to kingdoms.
Berserk - Medieval setting. - The first episode is not really representative of what you get in the tv series.
The animation quality varies: some find it dated and there are the more recent Film-series adaptations. I'd reccomend watching the TV version first for the superior VA's and soundtrack.

Adventure/Quest/ Journey:

Record of Lodoss War - traditional hero-quest adventure that invokes what might be identified as a 'western'-style d&d sort of fantasy.
Seirei no Moribito - oriental/fantasy setting; amazing fights - but the plot was pretty simple.
Escaflowne - Girl sucked into a world of medieval Mecha Knights.
Sword of the Stranger - because Samurai sword-flick.
Druaga stuff. - fantasy-dungeon based on videogame.

Fantastical - Magic and Superpowers:

Legend of Legendary Heroes - magic and superpowers
Claymore - augmented humans hunt monsters in a 'dark age' setting.
Magi - shounen with a variety of cultural influences from all over the world. Centres around magic and enchanted items.
Kyoukai senjou no Horizon - a mess of supertechnology spliced over the Renaissance and Sengoku era. Flying ships, magical races, conceptual superpowers.

Stuff I haven't seen, but are probably worth watching:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Isekai Seikishi Monogatari
Scrapped Princess
Slayers
CkanOct 16, 2013 6:14 PM
Oct 16, 2013 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
Fate/Zero-Fantasy in modern world
Romeo X Juliet- Medieval fantasy. Unexpectedly good despite the title.
07 Ghost- Medieval fantasy. I didn't enjoy it much but maybe you will.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Fantasy, 20th century. One of the top rated anime.
Now, the undefeated king(常勝の王) sings aloud the name of the miracle she holds in her hands. Its name is EXCALIBUR!!! エクスカリバー!!
Oct 16, 2013 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
Ckan said:
War / Politics / Epic:

Kingdom - set during China's Warring States period. Vaguely historically accurate; stylised battle-tactics and super-warrior generals. Some can't take the CGI.
Guin Saga - a generally well liked - sprawling 'epic'. (I can't really recall any details myself.)
12 Kingdoms - sucked into another world adventure. Acclaimed for the character realism/developement; some find the angst trying.
Utawarerumono - Escalating scale of battle from bands to kingdoms.
Berserk - Medieval setting. - The first episode is not really representative of what you get in the tv series.
The animation quality varies: some find it dated and there are the more recent Film-series adaptations. I'd reccomend watching the TV version first for the superior VA's and soundtrack.

Adventure/Quest/ Journey:

Record of Lodoss War - traditional hero-quest adventure that invokes what might be identified as a 'western'-style d&d sort of fantasy.
Seirei no Moribito - oriental/fantasy setting; amazing fights - but the plot was pretty simple.
Escaflowne - Girl sucked into a world of medieval Mecha Knights.
Sword of the Stranger - because Samurai sword-flick.
Druaga stuff. - fantasy-dungeon based on videogame.

Fantastical - Magic and Superpowers:

Legend of Legendary Heroes - magic and superpowers
Claymore - augmented humans hunt monsters in a 'dark age' setting.
Magi - shounen with a variety of cultural influences from all over the world. Centres around magic and enchanted items.
Kyoukai senjou no Horizon - a mess of supertechnology spliced over the Renaissance and Sengoku era. Flying ships, magical races, conceptual superpowers.

Stuff I haven't seen, but are probably worth watching:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Isekai Seikishi Monogatari
Scrapped Princess
Slayers

Well. this person pretty much touch based on a lot of it.

If you want something thats not just that medieval feel. Please check out:

Fractale (this isn't a medieval type anime, however it's fantasy and it's good)

Break blade (this is a series of movies, and it is mecha. I don't know if you are into that, however it's got that medieval type feel with castles, kings and queens and warring areas.)

Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (you could also try this one. It's not a bad series, and it's not labeled as fantasy but it does have castles, princes, etc.)

Mermaid forest (this is a pretty cool anime, it's a little more gory though so just be prepared for that. It's set in a time long ago where myth still existed. Don't let the name fool you. It's actually a really great anime!)
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Oct 17, 2013 4:13 AM

Jul 2008
Sword Art Online :D Seeing that everyone above has put in so much work, I'll just name that :)
Oct 17, 2013 4:37 AM

Feb 2010
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Spice and Wolf
Oct 17, 2013 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
ShanaFlame said:
Sword Art Online :D Seeing that everyone above has put in so much work, I'll just name that :)

Seconding that.
Oct 17, 2013 7:42 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
novalis said:

Spice and Wolf

Seconding Spice and Wolf
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2966/Ookami_to_Koushinryou

Fairy Tail
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6702/Fairy_Tail
Magic, wizards,blah blah blah, keep in mind that is it a shounen, and long anime

Log Horizon
http://myanimelist.net/anime/17265/Log_Horizon
Players trapped ina video game... BUT NOT SAO (SAO is a bit heavy on the romance, I heard Log Horizon isn't too much about that)
It is airing though, so very few episodes are out

More topics from this board

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
22 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 9 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
5 hours ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.