Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 14, 2013 4:08 PM
Jul 2013
It has been a while since I have read a Haruhi Novel because of the time it takes for the novels to be published in the US, but I notice around MAL in particular, no one seems to like the titular character, in spite of how many favorites she has, all I see are negative to displeasing comments or thoughts regarding the character, and generally all the praise here goes to Yuki Nagato, with some even questionably dubbing her as the unofficial deuteragonist.

So I'm curious on what you think of this?
00002019Sep 14, 2013 4:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2013 4:09 PM
Jul 2013
Because you are obsessed with KyoAni to a pathological degree.

Stop being overly defensive towards your precious KyoAni treasures in every thread you make. No one is against it, they just vocally show their distaste towards things you like.

It actually isn't hated among the masses btw, that's just a vocal section of people.
dratlamSep 14, 2013 4:14 PM
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 14, 2013 4:09 PM

Jun 2012
Because it's shit.

Edit: On a serious note, Haruhi was obnoxious and bossy. Yuki was soulless, and the other girl was as memorable as a rock, same with the other guy. Kyon was decent. A little note is how bullshit the plot was "She's God, so we have to play baseball" was pretty much how an episode went, I shit you not.
MEanimaniac1Sep 14, 2013 4:19 PM
Sep 14, 2013 4:12 PM

Apr 2013
There are a a lot of characters who get hated on.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 14, 2013 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
All underage looking high school moe girls suck. Belldandy , Urd , Mizuho Kazami, Yoruichi ftw (for the win). Oh my God I almost forgot my girl Birdy.
DrGeroCreationSep 14, 2013 4:20 PM
Sep 14, 2013 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
Idk, I heard she was a huge bitch to everybody for no reason.
Sep 14, 2013 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
If you see few people complain that doesnt mean it is more hated...... than liked....
I really like how people keep relying on appearences , it's like an invitation to deceive.
Btw I really hope you talk about the Yoruichi I know!
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 14, 2013 4:17 PM

Sep 2012
Because she's annoying. Kyon rules.
Sep 14, 2013 4:17 PM

Apr 2011
She's a bitch. Plain and simple.
Sep 14, 2013 4:20 PM

Jul 2012
Nidstang said:
She's a bitch. Plain and simple.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Sep 14, 2013 4:21 PM

Apr 2013
LoL , the characters dont get bothered by it and like her , Kyon just plays tsundere . In the movie you'll see how he really feels about her .
She's fun unlike many , MANY "ladies" that you like.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 14, 2013 4:22 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:

The kind of bitch thay you would hate for sure, she's worse than all tsunderes in anime together.
YOKO ONO
Sep 14, 2013 4:23 PM

Aug 2013
Tsunderes and Lolis suck.
Sep 14, 2013 4:27 PM
Jul 2013
DrGeroCreation said:

Haruhi isn't a loli
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 14, 2013 4:27 PM

Nov 2012
First i wanted to post * LOL if Haruhi got hated on it is not on MAL*
But than i read the comments above me and it was all surprise butt sex for me. Haruhi is fun guys. It is hard to explain. it does not focus on story but it is actually a very good quality in it's own way.
Sep 14, 2013 4:28 PM

Aug 2013
Rinshansan said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Haruhi isn't a loli
I never said she was.
Sep 14, 2013 4:32 PM

Apr 2013
FrostedSilver964 said:
Rinshansan said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Haruhi isn't a loli

I don't think she's a tsundere either because I haven't seen the dere part to it.

Dont bother . They are the same people that belive Senjougahara is a tsundere ....one moment let me laugh hard because I remind that ......ahem......so dont bother.
Sep 14, 2013 4:34 PM

Aug 2013
FrostedSilver964 said:
Rinshansan said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Haruhi isn't a loli

I don't think she's a tsundere either because I haven't seen the dere part to it.

You're right, she's just a complete bitch.
YOKO ONO
Sep 14, 2013 4:35 PM

Jun 2012
LillyTown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Bro.... are you gay? I mean, it's cool if you are I'm just honestly curious as I don't want to offend you if you are.

You don't have to be gay to think tsunderes and lolis suck, because tsunderes do suck.
Sep 14, 2013 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
LillyTown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Bro.... are you gay? I mean, it's cool if you are I'm just honestly curious as I don't want to offend you if you are.

You know there are other girls besides tsundere and lolis.
Sep 14, 2013 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
LillyTown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

lol

You're obviously a desperate virgin.
Sep 14, 2013 4:38 PM

Aug 2013
LillyTown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

No I'm just not into underage looking female characters I like female characters that actually look like grown women.
Sep 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Nov 2012
undercoverism said:
probably because it's popular. i personally liked it a lot
Me too. This hating has gone to far.
Sep 14, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2012
johnyjohny said:
undercoverism said:
probably because it's popular. i personally liked it a lot
Me too. This hating has gone to far.

What hating are you talking about? People barely mentions this anime in MAL nowadays.
Sep 14, 2013 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
The people who hate an anime are more likely to post in threads like these. Haruhi is in the top 10 on MAL, if I recall correctly. 20 people who don't like an anime and complain about it aren't enough to show that it is disliked by a community of hundreds of thousands of people.
Sep 14, 2013 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
I like the anime to a certain point. What I strongly dislike is the main male lead. It's because he thinks, but doesn't speak his mind. I thought first he was going to change and actually speak his mind, but he didn't. I really dislike that. And for me, personally, it makes no sense to not tell Haruhi the truth and really convince her. I think it is illogical not to. And Haruhi was really annoying. I liked the story, but nothing more.
Sep 14, 2013 4:52 PM

Jun 2008
Red_Keys said:

Well, she's god, and we all know how god is...

I don't hate her, but I do find her annoying and unlikable.
Sep 14, 2013 4:53 PM

Aug 2012
Litrydow said:
Because she's annoying. Kyon rules.
Sep 14, 2013 4:59 PM

Jul 2012
Because she's a bossy bitch, but that just shows she's a well-written character. If you find yourself feeling a strong dislike towards a character because of their personality, that's a sign of a good character; I don't really see any reason to bitch about it, not that I've seen much bitching during my time here. I've seen more of your crappy threads than people expressing their dislike for Haruhi.

Oh and if you've seen the movie, Yuki is definitely the deuteragonist.
Konbu is important
Sep 14, 2013 4:59 PM

Sep 2012
LillyTown said:
Red_Keys said:
LillyTown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

lol

You're obviously a desperate virgin.

Sadly desperate, I mean I cry myself to sleep every night.
No really though, I'd put serious money on you being a loser. :(
You would, huh.

Well, at least I have the self respect to realize that a bitchy girl is nothing but a bitchy girl, and not worth it. I'm not starved enough to blindly cast away my own dignity for the sake of some bitch that I might have a chance with. Not that you even have a chance with her to begin with. She's not real.

Sorry, but the female population isn't some magical divine species that graces me with their benevolent presence, that I should immediately stop all that I'm doing and attend to their every whim because "hurr she's hot".

If you think denying or disliking a girl because she's a horrible person is gay, you're a fucking virgin.
Sep 14, 2013 5:14 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
This topic belongs under the anime being discussed.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2013
LillyTown said:
Not starved, not 'fooled', I choose to behave in such a way... women are for the most part conniving snakes but lil girls are different: they're adorable. I think disliking shows because they focus on young girls but LOVING the shows about big manly men that grunt waaay too damn much is gay... like flamboyantly gay. Besides that, it's a cartoon; the way every Shana clone has ever acted would be despicable in the real world but it's a cartoon and it just adds to their cuteness. Can you not differentiate between fiction and reality? I think that's a sign of psychosis.
How is liking an anime about manly men fighting gay?
Sep 14, 2013 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
LillyTown said:
Not starved, not 'fooled', I choose to behave in such a way... women are for the most part conniving snakes but lil girls are different: they're adorable. I think disliking shows because they focus on young girls but LOVING the shows about big manly men that grunt waaay too damn much is gay... like flamboyantly gay.
Ok?

LillyTown said:
Besides that, it's a cartoon; the way every Shana clone has ever acted would be despicable in the real world but it's a cartoon and it just adds to their cuteness. Can you not differentiate between fiction and reality? I think that's a sign of psychosis.
I don't think you know how fiction, or entertainment in general, works.
Sep 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2010
FrostedSilver964 said:
I think she's one of the worst characters ever! She's like a more hyperactive Kirino Kousaka (excluding the otaku bit)

It's been a while since i watched haruhi and i'm not a big fan either but seriously don't compare her with kirino. No one can top kirino in bitchiness. Poor Taketatsu Ayana, i know its not her fault yet i can't stand her voice anymore. I heard people wanted to throw their laptop with anger while i haven't heard anything similar about haruhi.
Sep 14, 2013 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know, I love her. My friend says she's a total bee-otch though
Sep 14, 2013 5:28 PM
Aug 2013
Because at season 2 people hate in this one scene which I don't really care of it, and it just haruhi being haruhi. I still like her.
Sep 14, 2013 5:33 PM

Sep 2009
Did you come across this hate in the Haruhi section of MAL or something because this is the first I've heard the MAL community leaning towards anti Haruhi-ism.

I don't feel people resent the character herself but more so what happened in S2. Besides, I don't see any legitimate reason to attack her character other then superficial nitpicking.
Sep 14, 2013 5:44 PM

Apr 2013
Starchaser187 said:
I don't know, I love her. My friend says she's a total bee-otch though

Tell your friend to find a fun "lady" to watch.
Sep 18, 2013 8:54 PM
Aug 2013
Hahahaha i honestly dont dislike her in the slightest. sure.....she can be immature and mean, but thats what initially defines her. shes the contrast to kyon. she speaks her mind and isnt afraid to say how she feels "except on matters regarding caring about that certain someone ;)" and is shortsighted about things rather than kyon: who is thoughtful, contemplative, and usually holds back. she does mature throughout the series however "we havnt seen further progression since the author's in his blasted writing slump" and thats the point. shes maturing. if she was a reasonable girl who was mature and "normal" that kyon liked and hit it off with without problems in the beginning....we wouldnt have a story: now would we? ;)
Sep 18, 2013 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
People like to hate what's popular, it makes them feel unique.

It's a stupid, teenage counter-culture thing; contrarian attention-seeking.

...at least to an extent. Some people have dissenting opinions.
Sep 28, 2013 2:07 AM

Oct 2010
Red_Keys said:

She's actually one of the few anime bitches with a whole universe structure devoted to justify her bitchiness, so no.

DrGeroCreation said:

I am more loli and more tsundere than Haruhi.

Sep 28, 2013 3:28 AM

Jul 2011
because she is a truly bitch and that's why she is one of my favorite characters
Sep 28, 2013 4:07 AM

Jun 2012
because almost MAL user loved Yuki Nagato : P
Sep 28, 2013 4:22 AM

Jun 2009
ainky said:
because she is a truly bitch and that's why she is one of my favorite characters

An extremely entertaining bitch if you will. For my money there is no one in anime quite like Haruhi.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 28, 2013 5:18 AM

Jul 2011
insan3soldiern said:
ainky said:

An extremely entertaining bitch if you will. For my money there is no one in anime quite like Haruhi.

exactly
Oct 1, 2013 10:49 AM

Jul 2013
The fabric of reality will literally change in an instant to cater to her needs, she doesn't know what the meaning of no is. Not to say it's a valid excuse as Kyon has pointed out, but she's still entertaining at least. If you can't laugh when she dropkicks the shit out of the computer club guy I dunno what to tell you.
Oct 12, 2013 12:08 AM

Dec 2012
It's no wonder how many people dislike Haruhi, even though I don't, it became obvious why she's a love or hate kind of character, and I understand why.

Until I met everyone's favorite little sister: Kousaka Kirino. The most annoying and ungrateful bitch I've ever seen in anime. Compared to her, Haruhi is an angel.

OP, I wouldn't pay much attention to these rumours. After all, Haruhi has been favorited over 11k times as a character, and that's a pretty significant amount here in MAL despite the popularity that the Haruhi franchuse has.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 22, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2013
She's a love/hate character. It's one or the other there is no grey area.

p.s. Also stop with the shitty threads
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Oct 22, 2013 6:52 PM

Sep 2013
maybe they hate her because the world revolves around her.. but for me, i like her.
Jan 2, 2014 12:26 PM
Jun 2012
I love Haruhi. People who throw around derogatory terms about her are a little shallow. Or rather, approach the story with a shallow mindset.

Take me, for example. In college, I developed a bad reputation. This was my fault: I made some dumb decisions and failed to consider how those decisions would affect how people viewed me. I never meant to hurt anybody or betray anyone's feelings, but I did without knowing it. Common sense would have told me that would happen, but I was naive and really didn't even understand my own motivations.

Haruhi is similar. She doesn't REALLY want to hurt anyone, or even make them upset or sad. But she also desperately wants to be free from restrictive social norms that she views as "annoying," or whatever. Is she horrible to some people at first? You bet. But half of the show is all about how Kyon and Haruhi help each other grow (in two totally opposite ways). The other half of the show is about having wacky adventures.

So, basically, what would you rather have: a b-word that grows into a more balanced and kind individual while still maintaining her fun uniqueness? Or someone who is just perfect from the off and never grows?

Seeing Haruhi grow and change over the course of the story is one of my favorite aspects of the show (and movie and books). It's just a shame that some folks don't allow themselves to see the person she becomes.

-Arvis
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.