Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2013 11:06 AM
Jul 2013
I've never watched Slayers as a child, but I usually still appreciate old-school gems.
So I've done it recently (season 1) and.. I really don't understand how can this be so overrated, unless it's pure nostalgia.

I like Lina and Gourry as they're quite fun, but this anime has a TON of problems:
- animation: it's not horrible but.. worse than titles older than 10 years!
- characters: they're all useless-annoying except for the main 2 and maybe Zelgadis. Evil ones are totally uninteresting (except..Noonsa? lol).
- story: generic events and messy plot (main boss fight at ep10, then fillers, then it's poorly recycled) with too scattered gags-jokes.
- sound: well, music and voices seem good.

These are not minor problems!
I must rate this anime only 5-6 out of 10
And I'm sorry because I expected more :'(

Does anyone think the same?

P.s: maybe to salvage the season and proceed to the next one (is it really better?), I'd recommend to watch only a limited number of episodes with summaries at the start:
basic: 1,3,5,7,8,10,12,13,15,18,23,26
optional: 2,4,6,17,21,24
phaoloJul 30, 2013 8:49 AM
Jul 30, 2013 6:36 AM

Jul 2013
Worse than 10 years older?.....This show was made in 1995 so it's almost 20 years old already. So far i have found it to be visually charming.

Personally i can't really say yet whether it hold's up or not because i'm on the fourth episode. I don't know how in the end thing's are presented but this series is suppose be parody of tabletop RPGs and RPG's.

So that's that.
Jul 30, 2013 7:02 AM
Jul 2013
I meant 10 years older than 1995, of course!
The drawings are cute, but the overall quality is poor.

I wouldn't mind it, however, if only the anime had a good story (even parodies need it) or super fun episodic events.
If you want, let me know what you think, expecially about the second horrible arc.
phaoloJul 30, 2013 7:08 AM
Jul 30, 2013 11:58 PM

Jul 2013
Well i just watched the first "half" (10 episodes) and i have to say that it was very much a disappointment. First two episodes were heavy on joke's but after that they played it mostly straight and it just doesn't really work. If this had been aired when i was like 10 then it would have been coolest thing ever but now.....

And the pacing is kinda bad. With some episodes it felt like there was lot of pauses and moments where anyone isn't saying anything and that makes it all worse (and flashback's are the worst idea ever)

Not saying is bad or anything. It's just really lackluster. I hope the second half goes back to the funny stuff.
Jul 31, 2013 3:06 AM
Jul 2013
Ah, good luck with that, the first arc is indeed mediocre, but the second one is worse.
Weird thing, however, is that I liked a pair of fillers better than the "main" episodes.
Poor Lina, she didn't deserve this :P
Aug 1, 2013 7:08 AM

Jul 2013
Well i just finished the series and i thought that the episodes after 10 were great. Even the last few episodes were enjoyable watch because there was balance between the drama and the jokes and the execution in overall was much better.

-Personally i really liked Tesla and Zelgadis was much more livelier on the second half and the new voice actor was a HUGE improvement over the first one.

Which version did you watch by the way? I went with the dub version which really fitted this show much better. There was some truly awful voice actors here and there but the Disgaea type of voice casting really worked.

-Soundtrack wasn't anything to boast about there was some nice tunes here and there.

-The humor obviously is hit or miss thing but personally i chuckled and laughed more than few times. The jokes might not be all that clever but did work for me.

In the end ii think that this would have easily deserved and eight if episodes 3-10 weren't so "clunky". I gave the series and seven and i'm definitely looking forward watching the second season later on.
Aug 1, 2013 10:26 AM
Jul 2013
Kuruwin said:
Well i just finished the series and i thought that the episodes after 10 were great
Oh, you liked it.
I found, instead, the new 2 enemies annoying and the "new" boss cheap.
Amelia character is not too bad (best in ep12), but the father is terrible (ep11=boring).
Fillers like the marriage or the ghosts were fun lol.

Kuruwin said:
Which version did you watch by the way?
I watched the jap+sub version, checking the eng dub sometimes for curiosity. Lina's eng voice is cool!

Wait.. did you just see 16 episodes in less than 1 day? Wow
Anyway, in the meantime, I've watched (YT) the 2x3 OVAs "special" and "excellent".
Totally silly stories, BUT I liked a lot O2E3 "Mirror,Mirror" and finally the graphic is improved. Also O1E1 and a bit O2E2 weren't bad. Avoid the rest, however.
I'm undecided, instead, about watching season02.
Aug 1, 2013 9:15 PM

Jul 2013
Well it's still summer vacation little longer and i got the anime fever few week's ago because i hadn't really watched any series for a very long time (just movies)

I will check those OVA's at some point. I watched the premium episode earlier and it certainly looked really good but didn't have anything else going on beside that.

But yeah. The filler episode are the best ones. My favorites probably were the boat episode, play episode and the marriage one.

Villain's didn't do much for me either.
Aug 2, 2013 4:26 AM
Jul 2013
I've decided to try season 2 anyway and I watched the first 4 eps (eng dub this time)
It seems better!! :D
OP and ED are great, animation is improved (thank god), story seems interesting (expecially from ep02), there are less dull boring moments (still silly, but silly-fun).
Maybe THIS is the season which made Slayers anime famous.. fingers crossed!!

(p.s: hoping for good villains now)
phaoloAug 2, 2013 5:26 AM
Aug 2, 2013 4:31 AM

Sep 2008
The content is kind of same old same old after a while...I think the reason you are disappointed is still because of the outdated animation. The OP is way cool though.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Aug 2, 2013 6:32 AM
Jul 2013
Yeah, S1 art was a major letdown.
As I said, however, there were other important problems too.
I will see if S2 keeps on the good track or becomes boring (for the moment it's a 7+)
Oct 12, 2013 3:02 AM

May 2013
O_O;; Honestly I can say that Slayers is my favorite anime of all times.
The animation at first is low quality because they had a reaaaally tiny budget, but after it was a success, they had lots of money to put into Slayers Next (season 2).

Season 2 (Next) Is the best one of the entire slayers franchise, and you absolutely have to watch it until the end, believe me, you won't be disappointed.
Apart from that, the OVA's are great, and if you're looking for a new stylish animation, go for Slayers Premium (the movie) and also the 4th and 5th season of slayers, which are also great. :)
Nov 25, 2013 10:55 PM
May 2009
this anime is my top 5 best anime of all time. And screw people like you who liked anime solely based on graphics. This anime represents the golden age of rpg in 90s era, it was different mindset from graphic whores like you who enjoys convoluted drama ala naruto style nowadays with alot of crying and bullshit.

We enjoyed this anime because of the adventure and lighthearted story it was given, yet it can be serious at the same time when they fought the real enemy. The comedy is the best, I laughed very hard when I watched this anime.

It is predictable, but you people are missing the point if you are watching this expecting political drama convoluted bullshit, who's morally questionable. This anime is basically black and white, it is simple, yet charming. I know where's the good guy and where's the bad guy. It's like playing Dragon quest, the story is predictable, you know you have to beat the demon king, yet what makes it interesting is the way you do things to get there( by gathering party member, finding treasures, etc).

This anime is straight to the point, less bullshit drama, more comedy, action, and adventure rpg.
This anime is the antithesis of people like you who prefers highschool self-pity crying drama, or overly serious boring type of story, dark yet boring.

Thats why I fucking hate anime fans nowadays, they think they prefer "complicated" story in order to give them the sense of being intelligent / mysterious and at the same time degrading anime who had simple story like this being "bad" because it was predictable , when all these bullshit complicated story you watched nowadays never being given a proper conclusion at the end of the story. The plot twist was there , given to retards like you to give the sense of unpredictable and mysterious, yet the script creator never had a plan to explain the reason as to why these twist was given in the first place.

crissioNov 25, 2013 11:03 PM
Nov 25, 2013 11:05 PM
Mar 2013
Gotta agree with Arkantasa and Crissio on some points, Slayer is also one of favorite anime as well. It doesn't waste time trying to be over-dramatic and gives it to you straight.

It has little to do with the story but more to do with the interactions between the four characters and their series of adventures!

At the end of the day, it's really the characters that make Slayers great, and you won't find many anime that can delivery comedy, action, adventure, and romance combined with a fantastic cast of characters.
Apr 8, 2014 12:33 AM
Apr 2014
I do think you sorta had to be there back in the day to truly love Slayers. I was in high school during the 90's when I found slayers and there really wasn't the selection to be picky and choosy for hard core North American anime fans like myself who would set up a video camera just record an episode of Rama 1/2 off the tv or beg friends from overseas to send videos of anime we couldn't even understand. That said though... Slayers does rock in a very special way... It's awesome classic anime art, formula And animation combined with RPG fantasy elements.. And it's light hearted! That for me is what slayers is all about ... Going on a journey in fantasy land without it being crazy serious..and just having fun and goofing off as you quest with your buddies. The more you watch the more the characters really grow on you. One piece of advice... If you are going to judge it.. Do not watch the first season..or if so just the first arc for story purposes. It's not that good and it's pretty dated now and they didn't find their flow until slayers next ... Which is just awesome and by far the best season. Also the second slayers movie.. Slayers gorgeous I believe has some if the funniest moments of the entire series.
Jul 7, 2014 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
I know the topic is a bit old but...

I don't think it's overrated. The show has some problems indeed, but the ones you're complaining about are totally subjective.

How's Zelgadis "maybe not useless-annoying"? He's a really important part of the story, he's the one who is after Rezo because 1) he knows he's looking for the philosopher's stone and 2) he wants to kill him, so if he gets the philosopher's stone before Rezo he can become more powerful and take his revenge on him (we know why). And Lina doesn't know who to trust, both Zelgadis and Rezo could have been evil. He's also the reason why Rezo ultimately gets the philosohper's stone.

I don't think the evil characters are uninteresting either, but again, this is subjective. Maybe we are not talking about Rezo and Copy Rezo here, right? Well yeah, the minor evil characters aren't really interesting, but they're just there to move the plot forward, teaching us stuff from the Slayers Universe and they all die after all. Now if it's about Rezo... Rezo's one of the most interesting villains I've ever seen in an anime; he's able to heal almost any disease but he can't do anything about his own blindness, which is driving him crazy (plus a part of Shabranigdo lives in his soul). It's not just an evil guy. Copy Rezo isn't that interesting, he's just an emo because he isn't the real Rezo and that makes him feel bad, but his whole story arc is still a lot more complex than the first one, it's not "poorly recycled." Here's when Lina needs to find a way to defeat Copy Rezo without using the Ragna Blade.

And the story, yeah, it's messy, but after the 2nd episode I don't see it generic at all.
Sep 19, 2015 2:42 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know why people complain about animation quality. Look good even today imo.

Jun 6, 2017 3:23 AM

May 2017
I don't know what to say, I'm biased here. It was the first anime I've ever watched entirely and fell in love from the first episodes. But then again, I was 10 years-old and it was 2004 where they didn't even know their name - they called them Japanese manga cartoons. We had this first anime channel that first aired Slayers, Inuyasha, Kiddy Grade, Blue Gender, Pokemon etc.

So I really loved Slayers and wasn't bothered by graphics or god knows what. I was a big fan of RPGs and wizards and dragons and of course, for a 10-years-old this show was big fun (although it was only 12+ back then lolz badass here). We didn't have the anime notion yet so, compared to other cartoons, it was somehow more interesting and mature (although yes, it gets silly from time to time). I liked the adventure and the characters which undergo some development and all have contoured and unique personalities. I had spent a lot of time recording Slayers, drawing all kind of posters and stuff with the characters, searching for photos and music - because back then internet was expensive and I could barely spend one hour per week surfing it. And by the way, Slayers Next is by far the best season indeed. And I think it's also pretty original, I mean, are there any animes created before '95 with the same themes? I agree with @Arkantasa, @crissio and @emeraldrosary and share the same opinion, but I don't know if I would feel different if I didn't see it 13 years ago, but, say, now.

So yeah, I think it was great and I rewatched it several times, even recently and it was one of my biggest anime love ever, and the first one who dragged me into anime world, but I don't really intend to shove it down anyone's throat. I can understand why some people might not like it, just like, dunno, people born after 2000 who don't enjoy 80's or 90's music. So... de gustibus non disputandum...bitchez?
Anakat_samaJun 6, 2017 3:29 AM
The mindfucker.
Jul 10, 2017 3:26 PM
Jul 2017
Just created a profile to comment.

I've just finished watching season 1 and 2, and honestly this is a really great show!

I honestly think the art and the animation still holds up.
Sure, it's a different style than the recent anime, but it still looks good in my opinion.

And I must agree with Crissio, Slayers is a great anime where you can enjoy a simple story, much like the RPG video games story that inspired the anime itself.

And, it's pretty rare even today to see a "shonen" anime that deals with romance and grief the way Slayers did in season 2. That was quite refreshing to see actually.

And even if, for some reason, you were disappointed with Season 1, I strongly suggest watching Season 2. It was way better!!

Also, watch the dub version. Its actually pretty great.

In any case, I'm going to watch Season 3, all the movies and Revolution now...
Sep 22, 2017 8:55 PM

Jul 2009
im suspect to talk, cause im absolutely love slayers, its so fucking good. the action is good, the jokes are good, the story, the characters, the soundtrack, everything. only if you born and grow up watching FULL HD animes, that you may find weird to watch a 4:3 show.

the only season i dont like is slayers try. the rest is very good. specially season 1 and 2. i ddint watched any of the movies or specials yet, cause i cant find it to download and its not on crunchyroll

Jan 16, 2018 3:23 PM

Apr 2014
I think most people prefer Slayers Next, which is season 2.

I personally love this series, I was looking for an anime with a somewhat generic fantasy setting and not much of an over-arching plot. This pulls that off well, the characters are all lively and colorful, and it's pretty funny too.
ChangeLeopardonJan 17, 2018 11:29 PM
Jan 17, 2018 5:08 AM

Oct 2017

Jan 17, 2018 5:39 AM

Aug 2017
your IQ is not high enough to fully respect the quality of slayers
assyrianJan 17, 2018 5:43 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2018 8:16 AM
Mar 2018
I’m gonna be completely biased because Slayers in my number one favorite series (anime, movies, manga, novels) of all time! Haha. I first got hooked on the anime when i was in third grade ‘96 maybe haha. Never stopped being a fan. Still have a wall scroll in my room which I got in 5th grade!

Anyway, it’s not your typical anime and it does have its quirks and datedness, but it’s really special. I love the humor and the chatacters, and the sense of adventure! They are truly memorable and unique characters for me, not the typical rehash characters we usually get nowadays. There is a story/plot, but the anime is really just a great mixture of gags, fun and then some scatterings of serious messages and delightful action, adventure, friendship and a touch of romance. The characters are truly memorable for me. Annnddd I still read and write Slayers fanfiction too! ;D
LinaInverse13Mar 2, 2018 8:24 AM
Mar 2, 2018 8:26 AM
Mar 2018
maxvsthegames said:
Just created a profile to comment.

I've just finished watching season 1 and 2, and honestly this is a really great show!

I honestly think the art and the animation still holds up.
Sure, it's a different style than the recent anime, but it still looks good in my opinion.

And I must agree with Crissio, Slayers is a great anime where you can enjoy a simple story, much like the RPG video games story that inspired the anime itself.

And, it's pretty rare even today to see a "shonen" anime that deals with romance and grief the way Slayers did in season 2. That was quite refreshing to see actually.

And even if, for some reason, you were disappointed with Season 1, I strongly suggest watching Season 2. It was way better!!

Also, watch the dub version. Its actually pretty great.

In any case, I'm going to watch Season 3, all the movies and Revolution now...
happy you watched it!! I agree the dub version is good too. Third season is a bit more serious but I still cried at the end. Haha

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Episode 1 Discussion

Cookie-chan- - Jul 17, 2008

45 by PugPun »»
Apr 8, 3:26 PM

» Does Slayers still have a fanbase?

RaltsPokemon - Oct 27, 2023

8 by Ade117 »»
Feb 19, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Remake version

DrPopCat7758 - Oct 14, 2023

4 by kihel »»
Oct 24, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 24 Discussion

daemonraco - Oct 2, 2011

14 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 2, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 23 Discussion

DarkBlue - Jul 29, 2009

15 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 1, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.