Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2013 1:14 PM

Jan 2013
It would be really cool to have a reminder saying that "Hey, [this show] on your [whichever] list is going to start airing tomorrow/has a new episode today." through an email or even to your Inbox here.

I don't know if that's been suggested or not, but I thought it'd be cool.
[url][/url]
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 10, 2013 3:21 PM

Oct 2009
I think you can subscribe to MAL RSS News...

For features like this running to your inbox would really cost the server, I think.
Perhaps some sort of plugin to your browser could do the trick so your computer fetch the data for you.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 18, 2013 11:58 PM
Nov 2011
Yeah, something like "3 new episodes of [X] show are out!" or "[X] will be releasing a new episode tomorrow" would be a great function. I don't think it'd be so hard to do.
Feb 19, 2013 3:25 AM

Jul 2008
unless you can turn it off i would fine this very annoying myself.i have used a site that does that when you added anime to your list and it just never stops..i haven't used the site in many years and i still get email notifications from them ><.

if you could turn it off it could be okay but in my opinion after watching a series should just know what day to look for episodes anyway.
Feb 21, 2013 9:24 AM
Aug 2011
I'd really love to see this for every show listed in the "Plan to watc h" list which didnt air yet.
I add the shows which will get aired to a later time to my plan to watch list and hope to NOT forget them till then xD
A notification system like this would be done quite easily and when did the right way (like checking every hour with a cronjob and send out the notifications in a bundle) it wouldnt really burden the server.
The only question here isn't wether or not it IS possible but who has the time to implement it ^^ Time is an important factor when planning to do something like that... :S
Jan 6, 2016 5:59 PM

Dec 2015
to minmize server it could just notify us that the status of an anime on our list changed
e.g. not aired->airing for those in the plan to watch list
or airing-> finished airing for those on hold list etc.
that way we would only receive 1-2 notifications per series

Feb 17, 2016 7:19 PM
Jul 2015
Fuseteam said:
to minmize server it could just notify us that the status of an anime on our list changed
e.g. not aired->airing for those in the plan to watch list
or airing-> finished airing for those on hold list etc.
that way we would only receive 1-2 notifications per series

100% agree. Found this while trying to figure out an app to do this.
Jun 9, 2016 3:37 PM

Jan 2013
Woah, so MAL made my dreams come true :^)
[url][/url]
Jun 9, 2016 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
ThatGuyYeah said:
Yeah! Not the episode thing, but the "started airing" idea. I think a notification for a new episode topic would be better than using the airing schedule due to irregular airing schedules, slow subs, and earthquakes.
Jun 9, 2016 4:53 PM

Jul 2010
zombie_pegasus said:
ThatGuyYeah said:
Yeah! Not the episode thing, but the "started airing" idea. I think a notification for a new episode topic would be better than using the airing schedule due to irregular airing schedules, slow subs, and earthquakes.

The new episode would get way too spammy but could implement it IF you have a choice to disable it. Though MAL hates having choices when it comes to stuff.
Jun 9, 2016 5:07 PM

Oct 2014
Tenth said:
zombie_pegasus said:

The new episode would get way too spammy but could implement it IF you have a choice to disable it. Though MAL hates having choices when it comes to stuff.
I think having a little on/off button for watching and on-hold entries. If we included PTW it would get annoying for people who binge seasonals after they air, but on-hold would be good to include for slow-airing specials/OVAs/ONAs and anime movies.
Jun 9, 2016 8:11 PM

Dec 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Tenth said:

I think having a little on/off button for watching and on-hold entries. If we included PTW it would get annoying for people who binge seasonals after they air, but on-hold would be good to include for slow-airing specials/OVAs/ONAs and anime movies.

so..................MAL made my dreams come true
i'm happy to see that i can be notified when new anime air(airing notification). too bad there's no finished airing :p
to make up for that they notify you for new related(to your anime list) anime (new related anime notification(a dream i had as well)), yes!

so next one would be a episode watchlist? in other words a list of series for which we would like episode uodates....................
that definitely would be nice, but rather difficult to implement; unless they somehow managed to have episodes for all ongoing series on MAL(through cruchyroll daisuki hulu and maybe other future partner legal streaming sites).............
in the mean time i'll enjoy the feature of airing notification along with new related anime notification
FuseteamJun 9, 2016 10:04 PM

Jun 9, 2016 8:42 PM

Oct 2014
Fuseteam said:
zombie_pegasus said:

i actually find a step in the right direction to see when they air i also notice they notify you for new related anime that's great
so next one would be a episode watchlist? in other words a list of series for which we would like episode uodates......that definitely would be nice, but rather difficult to implement; unless they somehow have episodes for all ongoing series on mal............. in the mean time i'll enjoy the feature of airing notification along with new related anime notification
If an anime you're watching is available on Crunchyroll and on MAL by proxy (Crunchyroll episodes are streamable on MAL), then it could give you a notification for that. It doesn't seem like you have the best English knowledge, so I'll try to explain my idea. On MAL when a new episode of an anime airs users are allowed to create a discussion topic about that episode. MAL also tracks at which time the anime airs in Japan, but they don't convert this time and instead treat it like it airs at that time in the user's timezone (eg. 18:00 JST - 18:00 EST even though it should be 05:00 EST). In this case if the anime has been already been subtitled into English in less than 12.5 hours then the user will be notified that the episode has "started airing" after they had access to the episode, so they may have already watched it by then. Episode discussions may be created once the episode becomes available so it takes away this problem. Another problem is that some anime like Chi's Sweet Home and Flowering Heart air more than one episode per week, which isn't something MAL tracks. There are also series of specials like the Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Specials and the No Game No Life Specials that aired 6 episodes, one per month, which also isn't something MAL tracks. In both of these cases MAL will still allow users to make episode discussions when the episodes become available. There are also some disturbances in airing schedules such as earthquakes, sporting events, and major production issues which may cause episode delays which shift the remaining episodes to be aired one week after they were originally planned to be aired. If an episode hasn't aired that week then no new episode discussions will be allowed (unless they are just late due to lack of a fanbase for that anime). There are also anime that don't get translated until well after they finish airing and a new episode discussion on an anime like that would indicate that the anime is translated.
Jun 9, 2016 9:50 PM

Dec 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Fuseteam said:

i actually find a step in the right direction to see when they air i also notice they notify you for new related anime that's great
so next one would be a episode watchlist? in other words a list of series for which we would like episode uodates......that definitely would be nice, but rather difficult to implement; unless they somehow have episodes for all ongoing series on mal............. in the mean time i'll enjoy the feature of airing notification along with new related anime notification
If an anime you're watching is available on Crunchyroll and on MAL by proxy (Crunchyroll episodes are streamable on MAL), then it could give you a notification for that. It doesn't seem like you have the best English knowledge, so I'll try to explain my idea. On MAL when a new episode of an anime airs users are allowed to create a discussion topic about that episode. MAL also tracks at which time the anime airs in Japan, but they don't convert this time and instead treat it like it airs at that time in the user's timezone (eg. 18:00 JST - 18:00 EST even though it should be 05:00 EST). In this case if the anime has been already been subtitled into English in less than 12.5 hours then the user will be notified that the episode has "started airing" after they had access to the episode, so they may have already watched it by then. Episode discussions may be created once the episode becomes available so it takes away this problem. Another problem is that some anime like Chi's Sweet Home and Flowering Heart air more than one episode per week, which isn't something MAL tracks. There are also series of specials like the Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Specials and the No Game No Life Specials that aired 6 episodes, one per month, which also isn't something MAL tracks. In both of these cases MAL will still allow users to make episode discussions when the episodes become available. There are also some disturbances in airing schedules such as earthquakes, sporting events, and major production issues which may cause episode delays which shift the remaining episodes to be aired one week after they were originally planned to be aired. If an episode hasn't aired that week then no new episode discussions will be allowed (unless they are just late due to lack of a fanbase for that anime). There are also anime that don't get translated until well after they finish airing and a new episode discussion on an anime like that would indicate that the anime is translated.
if you mean my grammar was bad forgive me for that...........i'm lazy sometimes
yes i know all of that................but i disagree that the presence of a episode discussion would mean the episode is translated since there are enough people on MAL that understand Japanese, some even Chinese , as such some have Chinese sites to watch anime after which they discuss it on MAL.

i experienced this with the latest Mayoiga episode, i got impatient and searched for the episode on MAL. where i "accidentally" stumbled on the episode discussion and was spoiled.........all this while i couldn't find a raw version on the net.............

so if the ongoing series are streamed on MAL(crunchyroll, daisuki, hulu) and we can get notified of them, i can see that being doable for MAL(which they aren't doing right now as far as i know), but reliable notifications on episodes streamed elsewhere on the internet? not forgetting that most of the series streamed on the net aren't exactly legal?.................i don't see MAL who is partnering with legal streaming sites, bringing us notifications for those episodes.

p.s. if tried to improve my original post
p.p.s. if my english grammar is still bad forgive me.....................i must have watched too much anime, so much that Watashi wa anime o hanasu toki, nihongo tsui.......when talk about anime, my thoughs forms part japanese, part english, part dutch(no i'm not dutch it's just my first language) :p
FuseteamJun 9, 2016 10:05 PM

Jun 18, 2016 12:36 AM

Dec 2015
ThatGuyYeah said:
It would be really cool to have a reminder saying that "Hey, [this show] on your [whichever] list is going to start airing tomorrow/has a new episode today." through an email or even to your Inbox here.

I don't know if that's been suggested or not, but I thought it'd be cool.
ThatGuyYeah said:

Now I think they really did make your dream come true, note only if they had new episode alert for the Episodes they they have on mal and your dream will be complete ^.^

Jun 23, 2016 3:45 AM
Jan 2015
Is there a option to get notification on a new season/ova without having to select plan to watch first?
Jun 23, 2016 5:04 AM

Oct 2014
Linglol said:
Is there a option to get notification on a new season/ova without having to select plan to watch first?
Nope, afaik the anime should be in your database i.e "list" so that you get notification. How will the sv know that you want notifs for x anime when it's not on your list?
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun 23, 2016 1:10 PM
Jan 2015
Nope, afaik the anime should be in your database i.e "list" so that you get notification. How will the sv know that you want notifs for x anime when it's not on your list?

Ok for suggestion then
For example Ill use "Boku no Hero Academia" so lets say it's in my currently watching list then under Related Anime gets updated with new season info it would be nice if the server could somehow notify you that page has been updated.

Could also have a button beside Related Anime to notify you or not
Jun 23, 2016 7:17 PM

Oct 2015
As long as you can turn it off I think it would be a great feature, after about 3 weeks I remember each day each anime I'm watching airs though. Before then I just put them on a virtual sticky note on my desktop.
Jun 24, 2016 7:35 AM

Aug 2014
Thread locked

This is now a feature with the notification system. If you have something on your Plan to watch and it starts airing, you will receive a notification.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.