Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2012 6:53 AM

Feb 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
All of the 3 stories give me the same vibe of chinese ghost/demon-related folklore.

I like the last one the most, what a tragedy it was. Seeking acceptance from everybody who didn't care even a bit about him and forsaking the only one who truly cares about him. It was too late.

Such a slap in the face. Great read.
Aug 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Jan 2012
True. The last story resonated with me the most.

I felt so much for the character who was always in the shadows, but I'm still not sure if the ending meant that she truly loved him or not because they were both so lonely. There are various stories of demons who pretend to be women and seduce men to steal their soul (or something along these lines). It confused me a little 'cause she was supposed to be all evil and stuff.
Apr 18, 2016 1:54 AM
Jun 2015
I think it is a adaptation from a japanese movie 1953, but I mistake things. It talk about mystery japan storys, and storytelling for lessons hided under its pages. They have loneliness in life.
HT72May 5, 2016 11:46 AM
Sep 23, 2023 3:53 PM

Apr 2017
It could be that Manago really did fall in love with Toyoo and was able to create that mansion according to his wishes. I mean, Takesuke was right in a way: Toyoo did envy him for getting a wife and being liked by others. And the mansion in the mountain, where he wasn't judged by anyone, where he could talk to a woman who also enjoyed poetry and praised him...it was pretty much his ideal life.

It's also possible that she was a demon who would've killed both him and herself, or just kept him trapped in that dream until his death. It's not unheard of in legends to have creatures that pledge their life to a human, but on much different terms than the human expects.

It was sad to see Maroya killed like that, especially with how dishonest Takesuke was about stealing the sword.

Ultimately, it's debatable whether Toyoo would've had a way out of his miserable life by trusting Manago, or whether his father was right and she would've simply killed him. Who knows—maybe they did meet again after he left his family's house.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ugetsu Monogatari Chapter 2 Discussion

Pande91 - Sep 23, 2023

0 by Pande91 »»
Sep 23, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Ugetsu Monogatari Chapter 1 Discussion

Pande91 - Sep 23, 2023

0 by Pande91 »»
Sep 23, 2023 3:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.