Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Oct 31, 2012 9:17 AM
Mar 2012
steins;gate is average, number 1? might as well have SAO number one
Nov 1, 2012 7:10 AM

Jul 2010
And now that the reruns have started, will the ratings plummet, rise, or be as is?
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Nov 1, 2012 4:51 PM
Nov 2009
Stein;s gate was not average, at all.
I am me, we are we
Nov 1, 2012 4:52 PM
Nov 2009
You watched 10 episodes of it and you think Naruto is better, your opinion is completely irrelevant
I am me, we are we
Nov 4, 2012 3:35 AM

Jul 2009
Totally deserving of the spot.

FMA, S;G and After Story fans can stay MAD.

:)
Nov 4, 2012 9:50 AM

Dec 2009
WoofSadaharu said:
Totally deserving of the spot.

FMA, S;G and After Story fans can stay MAD.

:)

I can be considered fan of both, but I want Gintama to be #1 even though I didn't watch. Totally deserves the spot :P.
Nov 6, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2008
Paul said:
I still don't see how I'm misunderstood the comment, especially this part: "If all Gintama's (the first 201 episodes) scores were accounted for...". So unless I mistook that part for meaning each episode has a different score then my bad, if not, then refer to my original post.

I was only referring to the first "season" as this site lists the series, not each individual episode. Episode polls don't factor into anything.
Nov 6, 2012 5:55 PM

Jun 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
Paul said:
I still don't see how I'm misunderstood the comment, especially this part: "If all Gintama's (the first 201 episodes) scores were accounted for...". So unless I mistook that part for meaning each episode has a different score then my bad, if not, then refer to my original post.

I was only referring to the first "season" as this site lists the series, not each individual episode. Episode polls don't factor into anything.
The first season of Gintama was 49 episodes... You're referring to the first 4 Seasons... Oh yeah and... How would the series be in the 90s in terms of scoring...? To my knowledge all three series of Gintama are in the top 10 here on Mal...
Nov 6, 2012 6:02 PM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Paul said:

The first season of Gintama was 49 episodes... You're referring to the first 4 Seasons... Oh yeah and... How would the series be in the 90s in terms of scoring...? To my knowledge all three series of Gintama are in the top 10 here on Mal...
Yeah but if all three series were added up then Gintma would be in the 80s or 90s because the bad votes from Gintama would count(seeing as people who don't like the show won't watch Gintama' and Gintama Enchousen and that's part of the reason those two are really high) and since it's airing then all scores would count. Just like other airing shows when they end their score goes up because it then cuts out all scores of people who hadn't watched 1/5th of the show.
Nov 7, 2012 6:33 AM

Feb 2010
80s or 90s, 80s or 90s... Is it really that hard to calculate average score using stats page?
Gintama has 8.86 and this is about 45 place. Without haters (score 1-3) it would be 8.75 and 25 place.
Nov 7, 2012 8:02 AM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Paul said:

Yeah but if all three series were added up then Gintma would be in the 80s or 90s because the bad votes from Gintama would count(seeing as people who don't like the show won't watch Gintama' and Gintama Enchousen and that's part of the reason those two are really high) and since it's airing then all scores would count. Just like other airing shows when they end their score goes up because it then cuts out all scores of people who hadn't watched 1/5th of the show.

vivan said:
80s or 90s, 80s or 90s... Is it really that hard to calculate average score using stats page?
Gintama has 8.86 and this is about 45 place. Without haters (score 1-3) it would be 8.75 and 25 place.

Actually if you say it that way, only S;G and LOGH out of the top ten deserves its score. As your logic can apply to FMA, Clannad, Haruhi and CG too. Even if you count any of the top ten anime scores manually using the stats page, I doubt it will get as high as 8.86 :)
"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin…but what good does *that* do me?"
- Homer Simpsons,
Nov 7, 2012 9:08 AM

Feb 2010
Wait, I made a typo - 8.68, not 8.86 =_=
Nov 7, 2012 9:36 AM

Nov 2010
EndlessHell said:
Actually if you say it that way, only S;G and LOGH out of the top ten deserves its score. As your logic can apply to FMA, Clannad, Haruhi and CG too. Even if you count any of the top ten anime scores manually using the stats page, I doubt it will get as high as 8.86 :)
Well it wouldn't work for FMA because FMAB is a remake it isn't a sequel so there is no reason to combine them. It would work for Clannad and CG, possibly Haruhi. And you are leaving out the fact that when a show ends they don't count any scores of people who have not watched atleast 1/5th of the show, and since none of those shows have a currently airing sequel then the score would be higher than if they were airing(which is what we are saying would happen to Gintama since it is airing).
Nov 7, 2012 11:22 AM

Jun 2008
EndlessHell said:

S;G is safe, but LoGH is not entirely because of its 22 episode requirement. This is less than Clannad AS (28), Haruhi (28 + movie), and CG R2 (30), but still a sizable number, especially since its age and style is likely to turn off more people than usual in this day and age.

As stated above, FMAB technically only requires 13 episodes since it doesn't have any reliance on the 2003 series, but it's true that people who didn't like the original series are less likely to watch the new one regardless.

A friend of mine once did the calculations, though, and found that FMAB and Clannad AS would likely still be in the top 10.

At the end of the day, Steins;Gate is the only series in the current top 10 that is really standing on its own, though the RK OVA is likely pretty close since I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who either watch it first or just don't really connect it with the main series.
Nov 8, 2012 12:54 AM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
EndlessHell said:
Well it wouldn't work for FMA because FMAB is a remake it isn't a sequel so there is no reason to combine them. It would work for Clannad and CG, possibly Haruhi. And you are leaving out the fact that when a show ends they don't count any scores of people who have not watched atleast 1/5th of the show, and since none of those shows have a currently airing sequel then the score would be higher than if they were airing(which is what we are saying would happen to Gintama since it is airing).

Actually by your logic as follows:
IntroverTurtle said:
...bad votes from Gintama would count(seeing as people who don't like the show won't watch Gintama' and Gintama Enchousen and that's part of the reason those two are really high)...

to my understanding, you meant that when someone already saw a season or a part of a series and did not enjoyed it, they wouldn't bother to watch the other knowing they wouldn't enjoyed it as well.(Which makes sense) This makes the later seasons of said series to be watched and rated mostly by people who enjoyed the former seasons, thus explained the high ratings. This logic can apply to any franchise or series, including FMA. (example: One who dislike the idea of alchemy in battle or shonen in general or etc... in FMA wouldn't watch FMA:B)
I hope this makes sense....
"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin…but what good does *that* do me?"
- Homer Simpsons,
Nov 10, 2012 12:07 PM

Aug 2011
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?
Nov 10, 2012 12:17 PM

Nov 2010
EndlessHell said:
to my understanding, you meant that when someone already saw a season or a part of a series and did not enjoyed it, they wouldn't bother to watch the other knowing they wouldn't enjoyed it as well.(Which makes sense) This makes the later seasons of said series to be watched and rated mostly by people who enjoyed the former seasons, thus explained the high ratings. This logic can apply to any franchise or series, including FMA. (example: One who dislike the idea of alchemy in battle or shonen in general or etc... in FMA wouldn't watch FMA:B)
I hope this makes sense....
You are only taking one part of my statement. Which is that may be true that someone who didn't like the first season might not watch the next. But FMAB isn't a sequel it's a almost completely different story than the first, so my point was that there is no reason to combine them ever(which is what we were talking about with Gintama). Though what you say makes sense, but there is a complete score difference between them that I don't think you can completely chalk up to people not watching FMAB because they didn't like FMA.
Nov 12, 2012 10:23 AM

May 2011
EstelleBright said:
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?

[2]
Nov 12, 2012 11:08 AM
Jul 2012
leokiko said:
EstelleBright said:
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?

[2]

/2
it's a sub par show.
Dec 23, 2012 8:38 AM

Apr 2011
EstelleBright said:
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?

Wtf twice...
Gintama is my favourite anime but in my opinion it doesn't deserve top1, I would give that honor to Steins;Gate withou any doubt.
Dec 23, 2012 8:43 AM

Dec 2012
tormented210 said:
EstelleBright said:
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?

Wtf twice...
Gintama is my favourite anime but in my opinion it doesn't deserve top1, I would give that honor to Steins;Gate withou any doubt.

Nothing will beat FMA: Brotherhood :p
Dec 23, 2012 8:49 AM

Dec 2012
Vylash said:
szord6 said:
Gintama' Enchousen isn't number 1 anymore. I have noticed alot of accounts with only Gintama' Enchousen on their list rated as 1. This leads me to believe people are creating alt accounts just to downvote Gintama'Enchousen.
This happens all the time with every anime because people are people, there are lots of people who make alternate accounts just for the sake of inflating the ratings of gintama as well, it's just a thing people do because ultimately useless numbers are important or something

No, I think Gintama will only go down as it get exposed to the general anime-watching population, outside of its fan base. Only series with wide appeals like FMA or Clannad will survive the test of time..
Dec 23, 2012 8:59 AM

Sep 2010
ThangLong said:

No, I think Gintama will only go down as it get exposed to the general anime-watching population, outside of its fan base. Only series with wide appeals like FMA or Clannad will survive the test of time..

that's an interesting assumption. Why don't you prove it by going and looking at the profiles/anime list of the people that rated the show 1 and 10. From my just going through about 20 pages I see far more obvious duplicate/troll accounts created just for giving shows a 1 than people with accounts just for 10s.

As for test of time. Gintama has been a sleeper hit for a long time and seems to be only attracting more people to it. It is a comedy standard for anime fans and anime creators.

Dec 23, 2012 9:01 AM

May 2012
tormented210 said:
EstelleBright said:
Shaduge said:

What the fuck?

Wtf twice...

What the fuck ?

FMA brotherhood is better than steins gate.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Dec 23, 2012 10:02 AM

Dec 2012
Anime_Name said:
ThangLong said:

that's an interesting assumption. Why don't you prove it by going and looking at the profiles/anime list of the people that rated the show 1 and 10. From my just going through about 20 pages I see far more obvious duplicate/troll accounts created just for giving shows a 1 than people with accounts just for 10s.

As for test of time. Gintama has been a sleeper hit for a long time and seems to be only attracting more people to it. It is a comedy standard for anime fans and anime creators.

I agree that there is an anti vote movement going on with Gintama (evidence by the high 1's votes for both Enchousen and Gintama's). However, Gintama is also favored by a very high fan base vote. Let's pick Enchousen for example, there are 4 points to argue for this, using the characteristic of a fan-based vote:
_First, fans usually vote Masterpiece: the percentage of 9's to 5's votes (basically for the people who consider the series to be great to OK - not fan) for the big 3: FMA: brotherhood, Steins;Gate, and After Story are 51.6%, 50.7%, and 43.5%, while that number for Enchousen is a bismal 35.6%. This indicates that the percentage of fan-base vote for Ginatama is really high
_Second fan vote early: people who are not fan usually wait until the end of the series to cast their vote. The percentage of votes to completed and watching population for the big 3 are: 76.2%, 78.4% and 82.6%, compare it to Enchousen with 52.7%
_Third fan follows multiple series while non-fan rarely does: this needs no explanation. People who are indifferent would rarely follow this 256+ episode series, only the ones who have considerable interest in it. Just look at the number of members drops from 90K to 30K to 10K during three seasons of Gintama.
_Fourth fan-base is really small compare to the total population to create a representative of the population: using the number of users in MAL (around 1 million) as the population-at-large. The percentage of people who registered with Enchousen is only 1% while the big 3 are well over 10%

All in all, Gintama Enchousen enjoys a really devoted fan following which leads to its top score in the chart. Just like the situation with SAO (Gintama jumped to the top rank after one episode based on fan votes), this series will inevitably fall in rank as more people watch it, unless Sunrise pull some masterpiece materials in the end.
ThangLongDec 23, 2012 10:31 AM
Dec 23, 2012 10:18 AM

Dec 2012
My reasoning is based on numbers and reasonable assumptions that are completely devoid personal opinion. Actually, I watched half of the first Gintama season, and I considered it to be very good. I would have rated it 9/10 but it did not hold my interest too much for me to follow through. I do like the position all three Gintama series have gotten in MAL because they were produced my my favorite Sunrise studio. However, it's a bit unfair to have all three iterations of essentially the same title dominate top 10 in the chart. This excludes many good animes to have the chance of getting in.
Dec 23, 2012 2:33 PM

Sep 2010
ThangLong said:

I agree that there is an anti vote movement going on with Gintama (evidence by the high 1's votes for both Enchousen and Gintama's). However, Gintama is also favored by a very high fan base vote. Let's pick Enchousen for example, there are 4 points to argue for this, using the characteristic of a fan-based vote:
_First, fans usually vote Masterpiece: the percentage of 9's to 5's votes (basically for the people who consider the series to be great to OK - not fan) for the big 3: FMA: brotherhood, Steins;Gate, and After Story are 51.6%, 50.7%, and 43.5%, while that number for Enchousen is a bismal 35.6%. This indicates that the percentage of fan-base vote for Ginatama is really high
_Second fan vote early: people who are not fan usually wait until the end of the series to cast their vote. The percentage of votes to completed and watching population for the big 3 are: 76.2%, 78.4% and 82.6%, compare it to Enchousen with 52.7%
_Third fan follows multiple series while non-fan rarely does: this needs no explanation. People who are indifferent would rarely follow this 256+ episode series, only the ones who have considerable interest in it. Just look at the number of members drops from 90K to 30K to 10K during three seasons of Gintama.
_Fourth fan-base is really small compare to the total population to create a representative of the population: using the number of users in MAL (around 1 million) as the population-at-large. The percentage of people who registered with Enchousen is only 1% while the big 3 are well over 10%

All in all, Gintama Enchousen enjoys a really devoted fan following which leads to its top score in the chart. Just like the situation with SAO (Gintama jumped to the top rank after one episode based on fan votes), this series will inevitably fall in rank as more people watch it, unless Sunrise pull some masterpiece materials in the end.

First: Of course, fans vote things that they really like and enjoy high ratings. Gintama, Gintama', Gintama Echousen, or any anime you can name isn't going to be any different because that's how rating things is supposed to work. The anti-rating people go against that because their intention is not to give shows a rating based on their enjoyment, quality, or any level of like but rather to police the ratings on MAL. It's dishonest and I believe against the rules.

Second: This is true for all series that are not completed. Some people rate as the go and some don't rate until they finish a show completely. The fact that people can and do change their ratings as a show progresses shows that this freedom to rate whenever you feel like is self-correcting over time. Gintama just happens to be a show that rated high enough to top the MAL rankings while other shows did not. Unless Gintama suddenly drops in quality or entertainment levels there's no reason to believe or speculate that it would not survive the test of time since the test hinges on the fans of it.

Third: Non-fans are largely irrelevant to the rating process of a show as the rating is mostly derived from the fans of the show or at very least the people that have watched it. Logically, one would assume the ones that watch a TV show are a fan of the show since TV shows are all optional forms of entertainment. Which means ratings are based on the collective opinions of fans of a series and even though MAL ranks these shows the ratings aren't really direct comparisons to other shows.

Fourth: So? A show with a few fans can still be rated highly among the few fans of it. There is minimum viewership needed on MAL before a rating will show for an anime, 10,000 happens to be well above that minimum and there's no anime here that has come close to being watched by the majority of members on MAL but then again there is an different chart that shows popularity, the rating rankings isn't it.

Enchousen will be everything from the first Gintama series plus new episodes. It falling in rating depends on the quality/enjoyment the fans get from re-watching old episodes along with the new, there's no inevitability that as quality/enjoyment is really big unknown until the fans watch and rate the show as it goes.

My reasoning is based on numbers and reasonable assumptions that are completely devoid personal opinion. Actually, I watched half of the first Gintama season, and I considered it to be very good. I would have rated it 9/10 but it did not hold my interest too much for me to follow through. I do like the position all three Gintama series have gotten in MAL because they were produced my my favorite Sunrise studio. However, it's a bit unfair to have all three iterations of essentially the same title dominate top 10 in the chart. This excludes many good animes to have the chance of getting in.

I don't know what fair has to do with it. Each series has different content and different titles. If One Piece took a break and changed titles at any point in airing it too would have different entries on MAL. It really has nothing to do with being fair so much as it has to do with running a database with rules that state what is or isn't considered a new entry.

Dec 23, 2012 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
Anime_Name said:
ThangLong said:

First: Of course, fans vote things that they really like and enjoy high ratings. Gintama, Gintama', Gintama Echousen, or any anime you can name isn't going to be any different because that's how rating things is supposed to work. The anti-rating people go against that because their intention is not to give shows a rating based on their enjoyment, quality, or any level of like but rather to police the ratings on MAL. It's dishonest and I believe against the rules.

Second: This is true for all series that are not completed. Some people rate as the go and some don't rate until they finish a show completely. The fact that people can and do change their ratings as a show progresses shows that this freedom to rate whenever you feel like is self-correcting over time. Gintama just happens to be a show that rated high enough to top the MAL rankings while other shows did not. Unless Gintama suddenly drops in quality or entertainment levels there's no reason to believe or speculate that it would not survive the test of time since the test hinges on the fans of it.

Third: Non-fans are largely irrelevant to the rating process of a show as the rating is mostly derived from the fans of the show or at very least the people that have watched it. Logically, one would assume the ones that watch a TV show are a fan of the show since TV shows are all optional forms of entertainment. Which means ratings are based on the collective opinions of fans of a series and even though MAL ranks these shows the ratings aren't really direct comparisons to other shows.

Fourth: So? A show with a few fans can still be rated highly among the few fans of it. There is minimum viewership needed on MAL before a rating will show for an anime, 10,000 happens to be well above that minimum and there's no anime here that has come close to being watched by the majority of members on MAL but then again there is an different chart that shows popularity, the rating rankings isn't it.

Enchousen will be everything from the first Gintama series plus new episodes. It falling in rating depends on the quality/enjoyment the fans get from re-watching old episodes along with the new, there's no inevitability that as quality/enjoyment is really big unknown until the fans watch and rate the show as it goes.

I don't know what fair has to do with it. Each series has different content and different titles. If One Piece took a break and changed titles at any point in airing it too would have different entries on MAL. It really has nothing to do with being fair so much as it has to do with running a database with rules that state what is or isn't considered a new entry.

Your whole argument supports my original hypothesis, that "fan-base voting is what get Gintama the third season over the top in rating." Now, whether or not the my second point "Gintama rating will fall as more people got exposed to it," may turned out differently as the series go on like you said. However, this is what I observe at the moment since Enchousen has fallen from top to fifth-place. You may point to anti voting, but the anti-anti voting of 10's may have balanced it out. Finally, all may turn out well since I did say that "unless Sunrise pull some masterpiece materials at the end" didn't I.
You may say that this anime is great, therefore it has a lot of fans. I personally agree that this series is great. However, there is not guaranty that if an average watcher see this, he will love it as well. All my comparisons to the top rates show is trying to prove that.
Dec 23, 2012 3:29 PM

Sep 2010
Your whole argument supports my original hypothesis, that "fan-base voting is what get Gintama the third season over the top in rating."

The whole argument is that happens to every anime here. The fans rate them and then MAL calculates the ratings and rank.

Now, whether or not the my second point "Gintama rating will fall as more people got exposed to it," may turned out differently as the series go on like you said. However, this is what I observe at the moment since Enchousen has fallen from top to fifth-place.

What you said was that it will inevitably fall not that it had fallen. Given that ratings change the only inevitable thing is that the ratings/rank of all anime here will change, eventually. Of course change covers all things such as going higher and lower but I don't want to leave out that change isn't very fast here there will be long stints of rankings remaining the same more than rankings changing.

ou may point to anti voting, but the anti-anti voting of 10's may have balanced it out.

What anti-anti voting group? From what I can tell the anti-anti voting group are just the people that have rated the show a 10 anyway based on their enjoyment level. Also, when those anti-voters get their accounts deleted the ratings off all the shows they trolled will rise.

You may say that this anime is great, therefore it has a lot of fans. I personally agree that this series is great. However, there is not guaranty that if an average watcher see this, he will love it as well. All my comparisons to the top rates show is trying to prove that.

You aren't saying anything unique to Gintama. Any person that starts a series has the chance of either liking it as much as others, less than others, or more than others. That little rule of three is the same for any anime you can name. With that being equal all anime here will have their ratings adjusted with every new person that watches.

Dec 23, 2012 3:43 PM

Dec 2012
Anime_Name said:
Your whole argument supports my original hypothesis, that "fan-base voting is what get Gintama the third season over the top in rating."

The whole argument is that happens to every anime here. The fans rate them and then MAL calculates the ratings and rank.

Now, whether or not the my second point "Gintama rating will fall as more people got exposed to it," may turned out differently as the series go on like you said. However, this is what I observe at the moment since Enchousen has fallen from top to fifth-place.

What you said was that it will inevitably fall not that it had fallen. Given that ratings change the only inevitable thing is that the ratings/rank of all anime here will change, eventually. Of course change covers all things such as going higher and lower but I don't want to leave out that change isn't very fast here there will be long stints of rankings remaining the same more than rankings changing.

ou may point to anti voting, but the anti-anti voting of 10's may have balanced it out.

What anti-anti voting group? From what I can tell the anti-anti voting group are just the people that have rated the show a 10 anyway based on their enjoyment level. Also, when those anti-voters get their accounts deleted the ratings off all the shows they trolled will rise.

You aren't saying anything unique to Gintama. Any person that starts a series has the chance of either liking it as much as others, less than others, or more than others. That little rule of three is the same for any anime you can name. With that being equal all anime here will have their ratings adjusted with every new person that watches.

This is why it's so frustrating having a discussion with you. You picked my comment apart point to point just to do what? Agreeing with me? Do you find anything wrong with my argument or that it's so obvious and common sense to you that it's not worth mentioning? In any case, I hope next time we meet again, we will have better discussion.
Dec 24, 2012 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
ThangLong said:

No, no, that's because sunrise is doing reruns for all this time and us fans aren't happy.
If you've been on MAL long enough, you'll know that Gintama's score is fluctuating around. The first season ended with 9.09, it went down to 9.05, then, slowly back up and all the way to 9.11 and now it's the same 9.09 like before. But here's the good news, Gintama Enchousen will resume on January 10, and if Sunrise executes the next arc well, we can watch the score go back up! Not that I care about the score or ranks (though I started this thread) :-|
removed-userDec 24, 2012 1:53 AM
Dec 24, 2012 7:39 AM

Feb 2012
edwd2 said:
ThangLong said:

No, no, that's because sunrise is doing reruns for all this time and us fans aren't happy.
If you've been on MAL long enough, you'll know that Gintama's score is fluctuating around. The first season ended with 9.09, it went down to 9.05, then, slowly back up and all the way to 9.11 and now it's the same 9.09 like before. But here's the good news, Gintama Enchousen will resume on January 10, and if Sunrise executes the next arc well, we can watch the score go back up! Not that I care about the score or ranks (though I started this thread) :-|

I don't think the fans are that unhappy when 62% are still giving it a ten. I'm pretty sure the reason the score fell was because of the 80 people that gave it a one. I doubt that people will really change their scores much after the reruns are over.
Dec 24, 2012 11:51 AM

Sep 2010
ThangLong said:

This is why it's so frustrating having a discussion with you. You picked my comment apart point to point just to do what? Agreeing with me? Do you find anything wrong with my argument or that it's so obvious and common sense to you that it's not worth mentioning? In any case, I hope next time we meet again, we will have better discussion.

What arguments? All you did was tell me how rating anything works among fans. You're the one that is insistent on trying to explain just why all the Gintama series benefit from fans rating it but fail to see that is what happens for every anime here. You also want to make obvious predictions like saying Gintama will inevitably fall but if you paid any attention to the averages on MAL you'd see that most, if not all, of the anime ratings change and that results in anime shifting positions(going up and down) on the ranking list.

Dec 24, 2012 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
Anime_Name said:

What arguments? All you did was tell me how rating anything works among fans. You're the one that is insistent on trying to explain just why all the Gintama series benefit from fans rating it but fail to see that is what happens for every anime here.

Guess I have to remind you how it all started. You, in response to my original post, wrote: "That's an interesting assumption. Why don't you prove it by...," then you went on to compare the 1's votes and 10's vote to repudiate my point. I, then took on your challenge and give you a little bit more comprehensive statistical reasoning to prove that: Yes, Gintama suffered from anti-voting but the unusually large fan-base vote (the 10's) are more then enough to make up for it. That has been my whole argument from start to finish.
You said that I "fail to see that is what happen to every anime here" is a strawman argument that failed on two aspects: First you made assumption that I'm not aware of that "fact." Second you strawman negated what really is at the heart of the issue, that Ginatama is an exceptionally successful benefactor of that "fact." (SAO came close but it never immediately topped the chart did it?)

Anime_Name said:

You also want to make obvious predictions like saying Gintama will inevitably fall but if you paid any attention to the averages on MAL you'd see that most, if not all, of the anime ratings change and that results in anime shifting positions(going up and down) on the ranking list.

Yet another stawman argument under the assumption that I'm not aware of this "fact" either. How many times have I said that "unless Sunrise pulls some masterpiece materials," or "it may turns out well" implying that the series can possibly move up in rank?

Well, apart from you condescending tone for me, that's the reason I have to move up my language, sorry, I really hope that we have a good discussion on this because I think Gintama is a very interesting case study. Unfortunately, we started off with two completely different understandings. Then, you started talking in circle using your judgements and assumptions on me. As I already stated in the SAO thread, this would not go anywhere. You may think most members here are younger than you but that does not mean they are short in their level of reasoning.
Jan 9, 2013 6:47 PM

Feb 2008
No series that uses re-runs deserves a top 10 spot.

Going to pull an allnighter and watch the rest of the series, i love gintama and all, but i rather wait 6 months then having reruns.
Jan 10, 2013 1:58 AM

Sep 2012
I love Gintama and all but I'm glad it got dropped to Rank 5. It's reruns which doesn't do the series justice
Jan 10, 2013 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
Well the good news is that re-runs are over, and this new arc started today.
Jan 10, 2013 7:44 AM

Nov 2007
Vandalyzm said:
It's reruns which doesn't do the series justice
Xelzy said:
No series that uses re-runs deserves a top 10 spot.

Wait. Gintama Enchousen's entry on MAL doesn't include reruns. The episode count is 5 at the moment, while 9 episodes aired on TV. They're just gaps thrown in between and shouldn't be taken into consideration when rating.
tormented210 said:
it doesn't deserve top1, I would give that honor to Steins;Gate withou any doubt.
Tommk said:
FMA brotherhood is better than steins gate.
ThangLong said:
Nothing will beat FMA: Brotherhood :p

*sneer*
Jan 10, 2013 7:56 AM

Aug 2012
MAL 2010 Gintama was in third having a higher score than LotGH, was that.. like a bug? or my eyes are cheating me? or there's some other particularly reason?
Jan 10, 2013 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
I wonder if the new arcs will raise the rating and return it back to number 1. I see no use arguing which anime deserve number 1 spot, each person have different preferences.

Jan 10, 2013 8:01 AM
Jun 2012
pokecenter said:
MAL 2010 Gintama was in third having a higher score than LotGH, was that.. like a bug?

No.
Jan 10, 2013 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
pokecenter said:
MAL 2010 Gintama was in third having a higher score than LotGH, was that.. like a bug? or my eyes are cheating me? or there's some other particularly reason?

MAL servers don't update instantaneously
Jan 10, 2013 1:14 PM

Aug 2012
Got it.
Jan 10, 2013 2:16 PM

May 2009
It's because of the shogun. :)
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Oct 11, 2012

121 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 12:54 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 28, 2013

180 by lordgaara »»
Apr 25, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Hyack - Feb 7, 2013

203 by lordgaara »»
Apr 24, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 21, 2013

116 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Gintama': Enchousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hyack - Mar 14, 2013

113 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 9:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.