Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]
Dec 6, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2014
Great episode! I can't get enough of the development between Kirito and Asuna but I have a horrible feeling Kirito will lose to the commander in the duel. But Kirito's dual wielding was awesome! I had a feeling that's what it would be after Asuna brought up the shield thing.
Dec 11, 2014 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode, it's getting better again. I still don't know if I like Asuna or not, she was really sweet and caring this episode. What is that commander's problem, I'd just have said "Fuck you, I take her anyway" and walked away.
Mar 9, 2015 8:08 PM
Feb 2015
Well this episode answered my question from episode 8 about the sword lol
May 3, 2015 11:13 AM

Sep 2013
At around minute 16:03 right after he hears the screams of Asuna calling for him and he opens his eyes, he at first seens a girl with dark blue/black hair and then asuna. The first girl he sees, is that sachi? the girl who died earlier?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Jul 3, 2015 11:33 AM

Jun 2015
When Klein met Asuna for the first time, I felt like it was hilarious (and it is nice to see Klein every once in a while).

I also feel like the music in this show is really great.
Sep 29, 2015 5:09 AM

Jul 2013
Very good episode. Knew dual wielding would come out of this. Schweet.

The old 2012 news posts are getting more intolerable every episode though. I think I'm going to skip reading through the comments from now on and just focus on providing my own opinion.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Nov 18, 2015 2:18 PM

Feb 2015
Good episode. Actually quite liking SAO, more than I thought I would.
Nov 28, 2015 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
kirito the loser is always the loser. wish he died in this episode
Feb 29, 2016 11:30 AM
Feb 2016
10/10 best fight in anime
Jul 8, 2016 1:26 AM
Jun 2016
I'm just going to say, did ANYBODY else notice that sachi speaks to kirito when he's blacked out, am I the only person that notices this?
Aug 1, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2016
Asuna's food was delicious :D
Kiritu really has a unique skill, but would he be able to defeat Commander?
Nov 5, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2016
10/10 really enjoyed when they had dinner together, and it was really cute at the end where Asuna gave Kirito the longest hug ever!
Nov 22, 2016 2:49 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Dual Blades ... he is so AWSOME *_*

Jan 9, 2017 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
Every character keeps shilling Kirito and Asuna.

Unbelievable.
Mar 18, 2017 3:34 AM

Jan 2017
Kirito defeat the Blue eye demon is so epic and amazing. Great episode.

11/10 scores
May 13, 2017 12:15 PM

Nov 2016
The fight was pretty epic and next up is the guild chief.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 5, 2017 5:00 AM
Apr 2017
GUYS... I think were missing the biggest take away and that is that they will settle it ... WITH A DEUL. Obscure clash royale references and just obscure referencs in genral ar the best
Jul 7, 2017 8:45 AM

May 2009
Man, this anime wears its libertarian soul on its sleeve. I gave Reki Kawahara the benefit of the doubt too many times, now with the introduction of this new guild leader who is actually fighting for the benefit of every single person trapped in this death game is treated like a villain and holds the idiot ball for this episode. The way this guy is introduced, the reaction of Kirito and company, all makes him sound like he's a villain, just like Kibaou. Except this army guy… actually seems completely reasonable. I mean, he’s being a dick about it, but clearly they should share information in order to free people as quickly as possible. These sinister weaker players, demanding we give them valuable communal information for the common good before we feel like it! It's not like Kirito has any reason to withold precious information from him, just like how he hid the double wield skill from everyone. Kirito cites his reason for hiding his OP DUAL WIELDING is that people would not stop bothering him about it. He'd rather not be bothered for a minute to letting a bunch of people die in a boss room. I know that this is super common in videogames, but this isn't a proper thing to do in a situation like this when people's lives are on the line.

Also, holy shit Sachi suddenly became relevant again. Granted it's six episodes divorced from the episode that prompted it, but I guess beaters can’t be choosers. There are a lot of problems I can attribute to the source material, but this is just a straight-up failure of the adaptation. You can’t drop the significance of this character to Kirito’s emotional development for half a season and then just suddenly bring it up again. And then have Asuna be the first to react. And then have his new personal resolution be I WILL USE TWO SWORDS.

Speaking of Asuna, I can't believe that we're still at one episode ago, and that Asuna still needs to have Kirito to solve her problems, despite the duel from the previous episode. Can't Asuna just say, “It’s my decision to take a leave of absence, and you can’t really stop me,” and that’s it? Given she’s the vice-commander, you’d think that’d be a bit more reasonable than “I’ll let my boyfriend save me from my friends”.

"lol girls having agency" aside, this is also just another very fabricated conflict. With both this situation and the guild’s actions earlier, the conflict didn’t emerge naturally from the events of the plot, it required other characters to jump in and act totally unreasonably. When you have the story beats connected to each other with "and then" over and over again, what you have is a pretty boring story. What should link those beats should be something that implies consequence, like "therefore", "but", or "that's why". One beat should actually imply the next, you shouldn’t have to artificially inject characters acting really stupidly to create conflict in your narrative.
Sep 28, 2017 2:53 AM

May 2012
lol why must he "win" asuna, sure she's in a guild but you would think it was of her own volition what type of asshole leader says she's mine, "should i just let you take our vice-leader from us?" fuck yes you should you cuck not give her to me but let her go ......

hahahahah i really like Asuna she's one of those rare cases were female leads actually do stuff (aside from her time in captivity in alfheim) but this is just very silly she should of gone ballistic on their asses just saying who would "take" her.

Truly, comparisons between fellow humans are what turn out to be the most infuriating.
Nov 10, 2017 10:29 AM

Nov 2017
I'm not surprised a bunch of warriors acted like retards and died because of it. The fight was ok, but what caught my attention was that Kirito decided to duel with Asuna as a prize. Oh, that's irritating beyond reason. The idea of 'woman on a pedestal' is as obnoxious as 'damsel in distress' and to see two monkeys showing their bravado for such a stupid reason annoys the shit out of me. I can't see why in the hell would someone accept such challenge since, at least for what I know about SAO, they have free will. Honor is a hard-handling theme and in a series where characters lack a considerable amount of brain cells, it wouldn't work in a slight for me. 3/5
Dec 8, 2017 2:05 AM

Sep 2015
Dual Wielding lol DPS Master :O

Cute lunch and the hug was cute doing a good job building there relationship.

That next episode hype!
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
May 20, 2018 11:41 PM

May 2018
This episode wasn't that bad but still had many flaws. Everything around the Dual Wielding skill was badly written in my opinion. I feel like the revelation was so obvious and the reason why he didn't used it before is stupid. Also, it confirms that the Black Cats were useless. I still don't feel anything about their deaths who should've been something big.
SyniruhMay 20, 2018 11:46 PM
Apr 24, 2019 3:49 AM

Aug 2018
That was a pretty decent episode. I see why the feminists have a hissy about this series though. I see their point that Asuna is sort of like a trophy rather than a human being.
May 26, 2019 1:12 AM

Aug 2017
Dual-wielding saved Kirito lol. The boss battle was intense.

I'm surprised by some psychological aspects from SAO. Nowdays, their isekai copies don't even come close to that.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 14, 2019 3:14 AM
Oct 2019
Why can't Asuna just like.... leave the guild on her own??????????? Why does Kirito have to be involved in that at all, let alone duel for the right to /take/ her????
?????????????
???????????????????????????
Dec 25, 2019 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Kirito vs gleam eyes will always be one of the most pog anime fights for me this episode was 10/10
Jan 1, 2020 3:49 AM

Oct 2019
I see a lot of people being upset at Kirito dueling for Asuna, and I have no idea why.

It was not so Kirito can "own" her. The point is that they wanted to team up, but the guard was saying that he needs to stay by her side. The guard was claiming that Kirito wasn't strong enough. The duel was to prove who was stronger and more worthy of protecting Asuna.

It's also not because Asuna is weak, the reason that they need to protect her is because she is one of the highest ranking officers and one of the best of the KoB. Remember what Kirito said about solo players having a limit? That is the exact reason why.
Jun 14, 2020 1:47 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I dislike how Asuna became in a way, less dominant like she used to be in the beginning. She used to scare Kirito off his shoes but not she's like his sacred pet, what the hell.
Aug 16, 2020 2:10 AM

Jun 2020
i liked the flashbacks of sachi, that's some nice development for kirito

i still really like asuna but one moment she's catty & the next she's cooking for him or giving him a sandwich she made lmao i can't keep up with the inconsistency, i much preferred her mysterious badass self in her first appearance a mere few episodes ago....also that one a LONG ASS HUG thought she fainted on him or something wtf

hope asuna will be able to have some battles/fights of her own/fight alongside & with kirito

also more klein pls!!!!

this is random but i like kirito's black eyes a lot

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 27, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2018
The beginning was anti-climatic.

Ok, the fight was entertaining, the animation was great and the soundtrack is good as always.

That said still there are issues.
Why does Asuna care about some random people which made her risk her life to save? She stepped in before Kirito and their's literally nothing that I know of why she would care about random people, like a tragic backstory or some sort of explanation. I was waiting after the fight for her to explain herself but she never did, poor me.

Kirito getting the Sachi flashback was totally unexpected and it actually shocked me. But the issue with that is the flashback shows up only now, after 6 episodes of moments that the flashback should have been in, like with Silica, Yolko and Lisbeth. That's why all those prior episodes were always bad. The show literally forgot that Kirito went through the events of episode 3. This feels like the creator going "Oh, I forgot Sachi's death, time to write it into the show now".

Also, this is weird but the flashback's placement feels wrong, he should have gotten it before Asuna decided she loves random people. When the guild leader was dying, that's when it should have triggered.

The duel wielding being unique is just overpowered main character bullshitery.

I am realising this now but Asuna hasn't been doing any vice commanding her guild at all, except maybe giving a speech.

So Asuna went from I-can't-read-your-name-on-the-top-left-corner to Vice commander who cooks to I-don't-have-a-life-without-Kirito, amazing. For the past two years of being in that guild, she hasn't had any meaningful relations at all, how am I going to swallow that pill........

And now she doesn't have a choice in leaving her guild, that's bs, we've seen throughout the whole show everyone have their freedom for choice. This is literally made for the mc have to beat evil dude to win girlfriend[online edition].

I am sorry if I am coming off as condescending, I am just really enjoying my hate-watch.
Feb 25, 2021 7:59 PM

Jun 2020
kirito so op and i like how asuna is so worried about him
also asuna the goddess of sandwish making :)))

Mar 13, 2021 9:39 AM

Nov 2019
Can’t she just party up with Kirito while being a member of the guild at the same time? And now they fight over her like she’s some kind of object and couldn’t decide for herself.
Mar 19, 2021 5:48 PM
Mar 2021
Best episode of the series by a mile so far. That duel wielding skill was really cool.
Nov 16, 2021 7:04 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright, glad that they actually didn't forget about the other sword. As expected the reason always that classic. Though, the moment of romance between those two young souls always become the spotlight, even until these days, right? Another fool keep coming to challenge the op mc. Not that bad, just, heavily annoying....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 6, 2021 1:51 PM

Jul 2017
This episode felt more relevant than the other ones plot-wise, which is better than most of the episodes so far conceptually but not a fan of how quickly Asuna's already fallen as a character with her basically becoming more like a typical heroine, kind of like an Orihime from Bleach except Orihime wasn't someone who was a vice commander who could fight a ton against her enemies and lead others. Sure she cherished her relationship with Kirito more and more, but it's robbed her of her identity. Hopefully Progressive can continue to fix her character with future movies since she sucks in this main series sadly. Wish the dual-wielding skill had a better introduction too rather than act as a really convenient device for that fight. Cliffhanger with Heathcliff fighting for Asuna was meh for me, pacing for this whole episode and series still is really poor.
Dec 31, 2021 9:35 PM

Apr 2020
Now this is a certified street classic. This is the episode that SAO really deserves the attention and whatever is left of the positive reception it garners. So not only he has a lot of sleeves under his OP bastard self, he can dual wield swords...like that doesn't exist there right, is he really supposed to be first?!!!

But in order to save his friends and others, he has to lash out to defeat the boss. And as a result...Asuna is much more closer to him now, and Klein respects everything that he saw from Kirito. Good job, now you have to fight again in that kind of insane battle against Heathcliff, I'm sure that will be just as fun.
Jan 22, 2022 2:15 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah, they are almost lovers at this point.

Kirito vs Heathcliff should be interesting, thing is, I already watched SAO like 7 years ago so I know a little secret about Heathcliff haha

Aug 13, 2022 3:18 AM

Jun 2016
Dual-wielding swords, and heavy ones at that. Kinda badass, ngl.

A one vs one fight in the next episode. Should be quite the spectacle.

Lol at Asuna being the one who was scared/concerned at the end when she charged in first. I know she was scared at Kirito dying, but still funny regardless.

What is with leaders wanting to die in this series? Like sheesh.

Aug 19, 2022 10:33 AM

May 2022
awesome episode, great soundtrack and action with Kirito, but most importantly, him jumping in quickly because he didn't want to see anybody else die, he wants to protect as many people as possible, no matter the circumstances. loved how Asuna hugged him so much, so worried for him. interesting ending to the episode as well with Heathcliff challenging Kirito to a duel, got me engaged with this series even more on top of Kirito and Asuna bonding
Sep 4, 2022 8:29 PM
Sep 2022
Best episode of the series so far I think! The battle was amazing, even the side plot of the arrogant soldiers was entertaining. The dual swords were so badass, and the setup for next episode was great as well. If i could give it 6 stars I would.
Oct 17, 2022 1:04 PM

Mar 2019
Nice fight. Klein is back and this time Kirito isn't avoiding him! The animation was nice, but some decisions were really weird.

At times it feels like they forget what happened 5 minutes before, lol. Still entertaining episode, dual-wielding looked cool! Also what is that guild, not allowing members to leave.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 7, 2022 10:42 AM

Apr 2022
It was okay. It was okay.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jan 24, 2023 8:51 PM
Jan 2023
Bro start a new arc already jesus christ
Mar 4, 2023 3:45 PM
Jun 2021
Well those that have seen it will know that this is THE episode.
Jun 11, 2023 1:30 PM
Jul 2017
There is ZERO reason for Kirito to agree to the duel. It's a zero sum gain for him, even if he wins, and a loss forces him to join a guild. The guilds in MMOs do not have any say on whether a member stays or leaves. This writing really irks me, as it's so unfounded and illogical.
Jul 14, 2023 4:08 AM

Aug 2019
why are they having a duel? asuna literally said that shell take a little break but heatcliff guy makes it sound like she is quitting completely.
and if this game was anything like a game the guild members could freely leave as they please
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2023 7:57 AM

Jan 2022
If Kiritio was anyone else, they would've died lol
This never updates so that's cool
Dec 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Nov 2023
Asuna is really cute in my opinion gaddamn
Jan 30, 6:59 AM
Jan 2024
Asuna and Kirito are obvious now, I love it...
Pages (16) « First ... « 14 15 [16]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.