Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 21, 2012 11:47 PM

Jun 2012
(If you haven't read this arc, STOP IMMEDIATELY there are SPOILERS out the wazoo!) Read this arc before this discussion if you do not wish to rob yourself one hell of an arc

Now that the Chimera Ant Arc has been finished for a couple of months and we've let it sink in I want to know what people's thoughts/feelings are of this arc now!

The LONGEST SHONEN ARC in history that I can recall(longer than DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, and even One Piece!); I think this arc is AMAZING simply put.

Character Development

Boy oh boy.... this arc had the most character development for our duo of Gon and Killua. Gon dealing with a loss of a close family friend/mentor fascinated me to no ends. Before the series he portrays himself to his friends as a brave, smart but still naive child who lacks experience of the world which we're told time and time again. But this arc really hits home they have a while to go in the world. Killua's development I would argue is even more interesting than Gon's in this arc because in previous arcs we saw how when Killua wasnt sure if he could win battles, there was much inner turmoil telling him to run. In this arc it turns out that was because of Illumi messing with his brain(which is horrible btw, fucked up brother)!

The new characters introduced not only shed new facets our duo but are just sweet ass allies. My personal favorites are Morel McCarnathy, Knuckle, and Palm. I could go on forever about these characters but I'll list favorite things quickly to shorten post

Morel-Intelligent, Morel vs Cheetu, Morel vs Shaiapouf, Big ass Pipe
Knuckle- Awesome Nen Ability(Hakoware), Very sympathetic/likable, Knuckle/Shoot vs Youpi
Palm- Very quirky, Date with Gon(can't wait to see this animated X D), Character fate at end of arc

(Oh and the Phantom Troupe make an awesome side mini arc appearance too!)

The villains in this arc are some of the most frightening, complex, yet fascinating ones I've read in a manga. King Meryem goes through a SUBSTANTIAL amount of development through a little girl, Komugi, which forces the King to reevaluate his ideals. The other villains are very interesting too, Shaiapouf and Neferpitou in particular come to mind. Shaiapouf's devotion to the king is frightening for how creepy it is and Neferpitou is a villain I would not want to be within sight of.

Battles

Though I enjoyed the Greed Island Arc for it's complexity and just different nature than HxH usually being, there are some who might not think that.For the people who though Greed Island was a little slow due to lack of actual fights, this arc should satiate their thirsts. Some of the most BRUTAL and exciting fights are present in this arc

Gon/Killua/Kite vs Chimera Ant Squadron
Gon/Killua vs Knuckle/Shoot
Phantom Troupe vs Zazan and her Lieutenants
Killua vs Ikarugo and Co
Morel vs Leoru
Morel vs Cheetu
Knuckle/Shoot vs Youpi
Morel vs Shaiapouf
Knuckle vs Youpi
Netero vs Meryem
Gon vs Neferpitou

Those aren't even close to all of the fights in this arc but I feel those are the milestone fights of this arc.

I cannot wait for the 2011 remake to animate this arc, seeing these battles in 1080p with crisp/smooth animation is going to blow my mind

Gore/Themes

Last but not certainly not least is the gore factor. This arc pushed this series into Seinen material. There are some BRUTAL deaths in this arc which I will not describe and in relation to that, the Chimera Ants are some of the cruelest villains I remember reading from a Shonen. Neferpitou kills her opponents in the most brutal ways than revives them and turns her opponents into mindless zombies or ones that are barely living and in constant pain. These villains are FUCKED UP to say the least.

What I've described regarding this arc so far may turn people off because Hunter x Hunter has been known to not be a mindless shonen. I can tell you right now this arc is the most complex, thought provoking out of all the Hunter x Hunter storylines, I can bet my credibility as a Hunter x Hunter fan on this. More than the Yorknew and Greed Island Arcs combined mind you. This arc has so many layers regarding the plot, characters, situations our heroes are put into one must applaud Togashi for all of the thought he's put into it.

I think some people were put off by this arc because of the change in tone/style this arc was presented and the fact it took 6 years for it to finally finish. If you have the time I urge you to reread the Chimera Ant Arc from start to finish. 6 years is a long time for an arc and I guarantee people will have forgotten things.

Edit: People have just called this arc a DBZ ripoff but I like to think of as Togashi's take on a Traditional Big Bad Arc. Togashi said that he purposefully made Meryem inspired by Cell for a reason. Sure there are similarities between the two but the Chimera Ants Arc takes a lot of the cliches that the Cell arc had out. For example in DBZ Cell gets revived like 2 or 3 times. Chimera Ant Arc he gets "revived" once but is terminally ill.

What do you guys think about the arc? Do you agree/disagree with the points I brought up? I don't care if you hate this arc, I just want to see everyone's opinion on this arc now that it's had time to simmer
HybridMBLAug 22, 2012 10:51 AM
Aug 22, 2012 2:13 PM

Nov 2011
Best arc in the series, and it's my all time favorite shonen arc in general.
Aug 22, 2012 2:26 PM
Mar 2012
well the "ill" part came directly after the hiatus, I mean really? ppl were like who's gonna beat him now and then after the hiatus it's said that he's gonna die, looks to me like he just wanted to finish the arc already, we all know how much he likes rushing things, it's still kind of interesting, it's what I'm looking forward to in the new anime
Aug 22, 2012 2:31 PM

Oct 2011
Nice! :P

Best arc in shonen, ever. EVER

Followed by Yorknew.

Followed by Heaves Arena/GI/Hunter exam

End.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2012 3:47 AM

Oct 2008
It had one giant hiatus after another and drawing quality was very bad. Storywise it started out pretty bad but got better with time. My least favorite arc so far.
Dec 9, 2012 11:28 AM

Nov 2011
One of the worst arc i have read in a long time , so much pointless info force-feed by Togashi , narration was just too retarded and it took ALMOST 10 FREAKIN YEARS TO FINISH , looks like HXH keeps gettting worst after YorkShin Arc . First Greed island arc which was pointless and dragged out then this crappy pointless and dragged out arc and the anti-climactic meeting of Gon's father was just too retarded which was supposed to be the main plot of the entire series . Gon meeting his father was a test to see Gon's ability as a hunter since that was what Gin said before Yorkshin arc but he just shows up all of a sudden , looks like Togashi got bored of that plotline after this arc.
Jun 12, 2015 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
I only liked CA coz it's a deconstruction of shounen. It even touched the sacred " friendship " << yeah..that's the only reason I like CA
Mar 8, 2016 5:55 AM
Apr 2014
For me personally, Chimera Ant Arc is simply the worst arc of Hunter x Hunter and i mean the worst, because it doesn't go well with the feeling of first few arcs.

I think Chimera Ant Arc is something that will go well if it's written for Yu Yu Hakusho rather than Hunter x Hunter, because it's just your standard Togashi-sensei's shonen fighting standard. Not to mention I don't know, is it because when i read this arc he took hiatus more than i can't count or something, but this arc feel dragging to the end and it's like 'oh, ok so Meruem is strong. THen i will kill him like this'. It's not satisfying although fit his image.

So if i can hope, i really hope Togashi-sensei will write something like Greed Island again
Mar 8, 2016 9:25 AM

Jan 2014
kucabara26 said:
For me personally, Chimera Ant Arc is simply the worst arc of Hunter x Hunter and i mean the worst, because it doesn't go well with the feeling of first few arcs.

I think Chimera Ant Arc is something that will go well if it's written for Yu Yu Hakusho rather than Hunter x Hunter, because it's just your standard Togashi-sensei's shonen fighting standard. Not to mention I don't know, is it because when i read this arc he took hiatus more than i can't count or something, but this arc feel dragging to the end and it's like 'oh, ok so Meruem is strong. THen i will kill him like this'. It's not satisfying although fit his image.

So if i can hope, i really hope Togashi-sensei will write something like Greed Island again

I think GI is the one that is Shonen standard (adventure, action, comedy), CA has the complexity of Seinen have : (psychological, character development, anticlimatic ending)
Mar 9, 2016 5:55 AM
Apr 2014
But that's the problem, because Hunter x Hunter setting is shonen the world building that it develops from chapter one doesn't fit the chimera ant as good as greed island.

I think when writing chimera ant arc, Togashi-sensei already thinking that with shonen adventure manga style (One Piece) Hunter x Hunter won't become a memorable big hit like now, so he decided to change the straight-forward fight that he took in Yu-Yu Hakusho and change it into smart-battle and more gore.

The result is good, but i still yearn the good-old time when Gon and Killua simply doing Hunter job.
Mar 9, 2016 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
kucabara26 said:
But that's the problem, because Hunter x Hunter setting is shonen the world building that it develops from chapter one doesn't fit the chimera ant as good as greed island.

I think when writing chimera ant arc, Togashi-sensei already thinking that with shonen adventure manga style (One Piece) Hunter x Hunter won't become a memorable big hit like now, so he decided to change the straight-forward fight that he took in Yu-Yu Hakusho and change it into smart-battle and more gore.

The result is good, but i still yearn the good-old time when Gon and Killua simply doing Hunter job.

Hunter X Hunter was smart and violent from the start, it was only natural for an arc like CA to come. Of course the hunter exam is less violent than CA, but it's still brutal compared to other shonen (especially the part where Hisoka starts to randomly kill everyone during the race). Same goes for the tower arc and GI.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 13, 2014

6 by Waddledont »»
Apr 14, 5:16 PM

» Chapter 401 will come out

georgecretuu1 - Mar 10, 2023

14 by StardustCursader »»
Apr 12, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 391 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManWild - Oct 20, 2022

62 by removed-user »»
Mar 7, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 1 Discussion

Canute - Jun 1, 2013

16 by Joel77 »»
Feb 28, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 51 Discussion

Terrestrious - Jul 25, 2014

4 by Farm-key »»
Feb 18, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.