Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2014 12:37 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode again.
That smoke after the large bomb went off looked awesome, so detailed.
One thing I'd like to see is more characterization. Some conversations not directly in service of the plot.
Apr 28, 2014 8:29 AM

Dec 2013
Reminds me of Code Geass
Dec 6, 2014 12:04 AM

Jan 2013
I wonder how many characters will get adequate focus, given the number of episodes.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 2, 2015 6:31 PM

Sep 2010
And thus the Yamato begins its journey. How many characters will die before this ends?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 9, 2015 3:33 AM

Nov 2012
and the journey begins~ and the yamato already took down an enemy ship. quite enjoying this so far.
Oct 22, 2015 11:51 PM

Mar 2012
Let's make the kid who took a prototype fighter for a joy ride and ended up wrecking it our tactician. Seems legit.

Anon1409 said:
Reminds me of Code Geass

How? o_O
Dec 1, 2015 4:29 AM

Feb 2013
It looks pretty good, but the show lacks atmosphere and the characters haven't had a chance to settle in at all for me to care for them. The consistent high-pace also didn't make the start that interesting with random action just taking place, leading immediately to bunched up interactions and characters who I barely know the names of. The singing ship flying heroically into a bunch of enemy vessels shooting off a shot or two before being obliterated was pretty hilarious to be frank. Not a fan of this type of direction though, and I personally have a distaste for shows with constant orchestrations that barely fit room for atmosphere. Might try the original sometime
Dec 19, 2015 5:40 PM

May 2012
Each time the Yamato rises in any alternative setting/movie/ova I get goosebumps :3

Pretty damn intense and epic second episode, really getting that Yamato atmosphere right!

Looking forward to see what's next!
Mar 2, 2016 1:48 PM

Aug 2014
Epic, those fighters exploding in the skies were awesome lol
Excellent Episode.
Aug 31, 2016 1:09 AM

Sep 2014
The first two episodes have been fantastic! Didn't expect this to start like this.

And holy moly, the soundtrack is amazing. When Okita told Kodai that he led Kodai's brother to death I was like, "why the hell am I feeling like tearing up? I don't even know the characters yet.". Then I realised it was the music. Damn.
Oct 17, 2016 2:31 PM

Jun 2009
And the journey begins. Honestly, it feels like this series could have been at least 26 episodes longer.
Nov 23, 2017 3:37 PM

Feb 2012
Was Akira doing "accounting" a joke by Kato? Her brother looks like Mamoru a lot.

I just noticed that the UN Cosmo Force insignia isn't just the actual UN logo but also has an extra ring outside the circular map with a moon.

I like how they kept the Gamilas language in the dub, did they have a language before 2199 came out?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 24, 2018 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
A very interesting episode due to the many facets that it presents, this time it is not only reduced to showing the bitter struggle between good and evil, but also tells stories of ordinary life and the contradiction inherent in mankind. Some points in the narrative are not revealed specifically, while others are shrouded in mystery, all this makes the vision of the anime series more intriguing. The CG sometimes is not very beautiful, but not enough, drawings and animations, excellent. The narrative hides many small details that make interesting and enjoyable the vision of interpersonal relationships between the various characters. Someone said that Yamato is very similar to a ship that sails the seas, but the affinity with the land machines does not stop only to this, we could say the same for the engine designed by the aliens and donated to the Earth that in their advanced technology resembles however, to an engine very similar to the conventional ones we use every day, and the similarities do not stop at these, but this is not a problem, because in some ways, this aspect is captivating.
Jul 28, 2019 12:58 AM

Dec 2015
Really good episode indeed. I like the direction this story going. The arts and animations are mostly pretty great.

I also like that the Gamilas have their own fictional language.

The journey begins. I really wish this series is at least 52 episode at least tho.

And bless them for making the female characters wearing skintight bodysuit XD
Nov 21, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2017
The Gamillas' jets looked like American reconnaissance airplanes lol. I can't remember the exact model, but the design looked similar to modern ones. I thought that there were some nationalistic vibes in destriying them since I've heard of this aspect in Yamato (the main ship itself is based on the real-world Yamato, u know).
The battles look pretty good though. I'm looking forward to learning more about the aliens (their language sounds badass lol) and some info on the crew since the guys and the white-haired girl that were briefly shown are pretty much nobodies as far as the viewer is concerned. They still got some shots here and there, although it's unclear what's the significance of those characters. There were also lots of these cliche "I'll definitely be back from this journey" scenes, I guess they are early death flags for some of the characters.
By the way, I expected a bit more hyped Yamato launch, especially in terms of music. It was good, but still. I got some Evangelion vibes btw, with all this "we need to use all energy on earth to launch this thing!" stuff. And the engine somehow reminded me of Nautilus from Nadia. Well, given that the original is older than both Nadia and Eva, and that it presumably had all the same elements I'm describing here, than it's no wonder they appeared in Eva and Nadia - in the end, Hideaki Anno is a huge fan of Yamato.

One little criticism I have though is the lack of proper ED, both in terms of actual animation (they just use rehashed scenes from the show, and not even fullscreen), and in terms of music - the melancholic young girl singing a song is just...not fitting for a military space show. If I were to compare this Yamato with my other favourite space show, LOGH, than the latter clearly has the upper hand in terms of the EDs.
Sep 11, 2023 5:56 PM
Feb 2022
Los culpables son una raza llamada Gamilas. Con el Yamato despegando, es hora de dirigirse al planeta salvador Iscandar.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HybridMBL - Sep 29, 2013

176 by Maou_heika »»
Apr 18, 8:53 AM

» OP Singers of TV Airing ver.

tsubasalover - Mar 16, 2013

9 by Serhiyko »»
Mar 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HybridMBL - Sep 15, 2013

54 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 20, 8:58 AM

» Having real problems sticking to this show.

shurryy - Dec 25, 2014

9 by Millodin »»
Feb 12, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

27CansOfTuna - Mar 10, 2013

59 by Merolae »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.