Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2012 8:21 AM

Mar 2012
I am playing my first final fantasy game (7) and first JRPG ever right now. I am really enjoying it and am looking for another JRPG to play afterwards. I was thinking Xenoblade, but that runs at about ~$50 on Amazon. . . So I'd love to hear what you guys enjoyed in the series as I might buy it on PSN.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2012 8:42 AM
Jul 2011
Final Fantasy 7 was probably my favorite as well.

Final Fantasy 8 is very good too but is one the most underrated games I've ever played. People don't like the draw system in this one. The card minigame is addicting and loads of fun.

Final Fantasy 9 was good but overrated. It gets much better near the end though.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing. All around great story/gameplay.

Final Fantasy 12 had the best gameplay in my opinion. Even though the story was forgettable it was on a massive scale. Most fun to play and has the most to do.

Final Fantasy 13 was meh. Least favorite new one. Complete opposite of 12, still a so-so game. Great graphics and focuses a LOT on drama.

For pre-ff7 games play ff1 ff 4 and ff6. The others aren't good.
Apr 26, 2012 8:47 AM

Feb 2012
I'd recommend Final Fantasy VI, which I objectively and subjectively consider to be the best of the series. The soundtrack is a work of art, with its use of motif and surprisingly effective use of the SPC700 -- Uematsu even said that he would've been able to retire after FFVI without any regrets, and Dancing Mad (I won't spoil anything but the title) is his crowning achievement as a composer. The cast of characters is collectively the deepest and most engaging of the series, and the story they tell is actually strengthened by the lack of a single, defined protagonist. And the game features some of the most beautiful and intricately-drawn pixel art I've seen in a game from that era. As for the "game" itself, I won't say it trumps the gameplay of every other game in the series, but it trumps quite a few of them: the battle system is simple (but effective in its simplicity), and the story allows for a tasteful mix of linear and nonlinear gameplay. Finally, on a personal note, I'll say that VI left me speechless or breathless at more moments than any other game in the series.

Other classic JRPGs on PSN are FFVIII (there's seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount that people love VII and the amount that people love VIII, but you may want to give it a shot), Xenogears (I think it's a bit overrated, but I think I'm in the minority), and Chrono Trigger (a classic and a "must-play"). What systems do you have, and/or are you willing to emulate?
Apr 26, 2012 8:53 AM

Jun 2011
FF8, no question.
Apr 26, 2012 11:08 AM

Feb 2005
FF Tactics has the most awesome story and setting; a dark and depressing medieval kingdom caught in the wake of a great war, with famine and peasant militia uprisings, two dukes scheming to get their candidate to succeed the throne and a corrupt priesthood that covers up a demonic plot. There's pretty much some scheme or assassination in every other cutscene. Potentially a lot of grinding though, so might be a chore if you don't like TRPGs.

I is pretty damn fun, and the plot, though minimal, also have some neat surprises towards the end.
II pretty much copied it's plot out of Star Wars, but it's kind of entertaining still. Just be mindful of what version you get, as the original character progression system was utterly awful, though it is fixed in some of the newer versions.
III has a weak story like I, but it's similarly entertaining nevertheless.
IV is kind of hard but pretty enjoyable.
VI is also pretty awesome and definitely a competitor for VII.
V follows I and III and has a great battle system with lots of classes available, and though the story is a lot weaker than IV, it's definitely a step up from III.
VIII is kind of disappointing but has some pretty awesome fan interpretations that really gives it another layer of awesome depth.
IX is pretty fun and nostalgic
X is decent and enjoyable enough, X2 is pretty bad and ruins X's story to some degree but has a great battle system.
XII has one of the best battle systems of them all with a lot of room for tactical planning rather than mashing the attack button, but the great setting is squandered with such a aimless story.
XIII has great visuals, but the gameplay basically consists of walking in a corridor and watching the battles fight themselves with minimal player interaction, and the story is one of the most forgettable of the lot.
Apr 26, 2012 11:23 AM

Jan 2008
VIII was my favorite, but extremely easy to abuse the entire system via card game, GF abilities and junctions. Sadly, all the battles took little to no effort to beat with how easy it is as well to abuse it's limit break system. /spams cancel with low HP or Aura on.

I enjoyed X a lot as well.. for it's blitzball minigame. The game itself was fairly simple with the fact that its turn base literally has infinite wait time. No one will do anything til it's their turn, including enemies, kinda kills the FF feel sometimes.
Apr 26, 2012 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
XII is my fav, followed by VIII and I, VII is the one I like less, followed by II and X
Apr 26, 2012 1:27 PM

Aug 2010
Apr 26, 2012 1:36 PM

Jun 2011
Paul said:
VIII was my favorite, but extremely easy to abuse the entire system via card game, GF abilities and junctions. Sadly, all the battles took little to no effort to beat with how easy it is as well to abuse it's limit break system. /spams cancel with low HP or Aura on.

Yeah, it's definitely the easiest FF game I've played, as long as you take the minimum effort (i.e. Triple Triad) to acquire the good items/magic/weapons. I imagine it could be hard if you just leveled up without junctioning properly though.

Still, the story is the most interesting and least cliche of the series, IMO.
Apr 26, 2012 1:38 PM

Jul 2010
the tactic ones, i prefer their play styles

Apr 26, 2012 1:42 PM

Jan 2008
Apr 26, 2012 1:45 PM
Nov 2010
FFIX
Apr 26, 2012 2:33 PM

Feb 2012
VIII
Apr 26, 2012 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
1: X
2: VI
3: V

worst one is without a doubt FFVIII, how people can actually ignore the staggering number of plotholes is beyond me, but even then the actual plot isnt even good enough to ruin with them in the first place, to many people just speak through nostalgia with this one

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 26, 2012 2:38 PM
Mar 2011
the one i sepnt most hours one is XI
but my fave is depending on the way on feeling is III VI V always not always in that order
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 26, 2012 2:43 PM

Feb 2012
Final Fantasy X all the way, my favorite game of all time. Then 7. I liked 5 a lot, but 1 and 2 were awesome as well. Gotta play the others at some point.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Apr 26, 2012 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
Borrowing,
Baman said:

III has a weak story like I, but it's similarly entertaining nevertheless.
X is decent and enjoyable enough, X2 is pretty bad and ruins X's story to some degree but has a great battle system.

Every comment between there pretty much reflects my exact thoughts, so . I don't remember I/II enough to comment, didn't like XII's battle system, and haven't touched XIII. My favorite is probably a tie between IX/VI. IX is just much more memorable personally.
MissileSoupApr 26, 2012 2:52 PM
Apr 26, 2012 3:06 PM

Nov 2011
I really enjoyed Tactics and FF 3(With Luneth and the gang, I know the numbers get mixed up.)

Also I surprisingly really liked Final Fantasy I back when I had it on the GBA. II was a bit harder though and it didn't really appeal to me.

Other I can think of is FF IV I THINK with Cecil back on the Super Nintendo GOOD TIMES.

These are the ones that I actually got far in or beaten. lol Can't quite say are my favorite or not. :o
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 26, 2012 3:40 PM

Feb 2012
I started with first one, like a boss!
Apr 26, 2012 3:41 PM
Mar 2011
nathanr said:

Good one you did you play in on Fully Proper Originali Hardware
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 26, 2012 3:45 PM

Feb 2012
Enjolras1830 said:
nathanr said:

ugh...are you asking me if my hardware was original?
well...why wouldn't it be?
Apr 26, 2012 3:51 PM
Mar 2011
nathanr said:
Enjolras1830 said:
nathanr said:

ugh...are you asking me if my hardware was original?

well...why wouldn't it be?

you played on Famicom [ Nice]

Apr 26, 2012 3:55 PM

Nov 2007
I enjoyed VIII and IX the most. I'd say VIII probably had the best world out of the numbered FF games and a pretty strong OST too. But the combat system is one of the worst in an FF game even though some of the ideas could have been neat if done differently. For IX I don't think the story starts off feeling very special, but it definitely had a pretty good story by the end and there's nothing really bad to say about its combat system.
Apr 26, 2012 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
ff10
ffxi if your into mmos, ffxiv is trash imo :l
Apr 26, 2012 4:30 PM

Apr 2010
In order

FF Tactics: Because that story was freaking intense, and grid based strategy > regular old FF style combat.

FFVI: Great characters, clever story, memorable villian... best in the main series easily.

FFIX: Very reminiscent of FFVI, again holding a great cast. Kuja's not as memorable as kefka but he's still got his moments (despite his hilarious appearance)

FFV: A fun little adventure... pretty simple but the job system was fun.

FFXII: A nice take on the original battle system. The plot could have been brilliant with a bit more polish but sadly loses focus on the interesting stuff. Characters are about as memorable as cardboard.

FFVII: A good game all around, decent characters, decent story, disliked the change to the materia system though... made characters feel less unique.

FFI: Well a classic is a classic. Lots of retro fun with out all that much substance.

FFIV: Always kinda forget about this one... I dunno never stuck with me but I didn't hate it.

FFII: Kinda decent shot at a first story... but pretty forgettable.

FFVIII: Ehhh... the characters mostly got on my nerves... and i hated the combat. The story was convoluted but had a bit of genius here and there. The ost was excellent mind you.

Haven't played FFIII or FFXI so no idea how those are.

Any FF I didn't bother mentioning, I pretty much hate with a burning passion. Probably best I don't go into detail on why.
Apr 26, 2012 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
njd09 said:
Final Fantasy X all the way, my favorite game of all time.

*high fives* :D

FFX is also my favorite game of all time and obviously favorite FF game. I cannot wait for the PS3/Vita version!!!!
Apr 26, 2012 6:47 PM

Jan 2012
It has to between Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core or Final Fantasy XIII. ^_^
Apr 26, 2012 7:27 PM

Apr 2011
Final Fantasy 3

Final Fantasy 4

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light
Apr 27, 2012 12:30 AM

Mar 2012
Hey thanks for the input! From reading the comments I see a lot of FF VIII, so I think I will start there after FF VII :D
Apr 27, 2012 12:41 AM

Jan 2012
Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10-2, Final Fantasy 12 and Final Fantasy 13-2.
Apr 27, 2012 12:57 AM
Mar 2011
Infinite8 said:
Telesis said:
Final Fantasy 7 was probably my favorite as well.

Final Fantasy 8 is very good too but is one the most underrated games I've ever played. People don't like the draw system in this one. The card minigame is addicting and loads of fun.

Final Fantasy 9 was good but overrated. It gets much better near the end though.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing. All around great story/gameplay.

Final Fantasy 12 had the best gameplay in my opinion. Even though the story was forgettable it was on a massive scale. Most fun to play and has the most to do.

Final Fantasy 13 was meh. Least favorite new one. Complete opposite of 12, still a so-so game. Great graphics and focuses a LOT on drama.

For pre-ff7 games play ff1 ff 4 and ff6. The others aren't good.

^ This guy, smart! ^^

V is so much better than IV

Apr 27, 2012 7:56 AM

Feb 2005
Yawmus said:
Hey thanks for the input! From reading the comments I see a lot of FF VIII, so I think I will start there after FF VII :D
Do read the two most famous fanmade interpretations when you complete it though. Really makes it more fun, and have some cool ways to make some of the more silly shit make sense.
Apr 27, 2012 8:47 AM

Dec 2010
FFX was my first final fantasy game. Friend invited me over and saw him fighting against a long flying dragon on an airship. Was hooked at that moment.
Apr 27, 2012 9:30 AM

Oct 2010
FFX was mine, the only other FF i played was XII and that was terrible
Apr 27, 2012 2:05 PM

Oct 2011
Does FF: Dissidia count? I love playing it so much.
Apr 27, 2012 4:50 PM

Dec 2010
Whichever one Balthier was in. Damn, was it 11 or 12?

Seriously, he made the game.
Apr 27, 2012 7:47 PM

Feb 2012
Lauriet said:

He knew he was the leading man. So why didn't Square Enix?
Apr 27, 2012 7:51 PM

Nov 2011
I like them all but if I had to choose one it would be Final Fantasy VIII. I don't know why I just really like that Final Fantasy.

I started with Final Fantasy IV, but Final Fantasy VIII was the first one I actually sat through and finished the entire game and I like it a lot.
Apr 27, 2012 9:08 PM

Apr 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Lauriet said:

Because squeenix's marketing department thinks we couldn't handle such a character, and proceeded to produce the most boring piece of generic trash main character the series as ever seen.
Apr 27, 2012 9:26 PM

Jun 2009
leingodf8 said:
Hakuromatsu said:
Lauriet said:

Because squeenix's marketing department thinks we couldn't handle such a character, and proceeded to produce the most boring piece of generic trash main character the series as ever seen.

Well, they can sayVaan (can't be bothered to check how to spell his name) is the main character but he sure as hell didn't feel like it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2012 7:58 PM

Feb 2005
insan3soldiern said:
Well, they can sayVaan (can't be bothered to check how to spell his name) is the main character but he sure as hell didn't feel like it.
Probably because he had literally zero connection to the story after you got out of the first city. Hell, would have been better if you could create a character instead if they had to play it like that.
Or just make Basch or Balthier the MC like they planned. I've got a feeling XII could have been a whole lot better if whoever came up with the original story and setting got to do as they wanted.
Apr 28, 2012 9:38 PM

Feb 2005
That's the problem, they didn't focus enough on the political war story they so clearly seemed to have set the setting up for, so you're left with a bit of this and a bit of character drama all set in random dungeon crawling, with neither part being properly in focus.
But yea, the gameplay was great at least. I heard they planned a sequel of sorts (XII "Fortress" or something iIrc) but it seems to have been canned.
Apr 29, 2012 4:47 AM

Feb 2012
Telesis said:
What a shame they didn't expand further on this on the main consoles. There was so much to be explored in Ivalice.

But then again, Tactics had already done a pretty good job with that ^_^
Apr 29, 2012 5:45 AM

Apr 2011
I only played FF VII and FF Tactics. I prefer FF tactics for the combat system.
Apr 29, 2012 6:02 AM

Sep 2011
Crisis Core: FFVII is the best ever in my book.

Next to me is FFV, which is probably the most underrated out of them all.
Apr 29, 2012 6:11 AM
Mar 2011
Valaskjalf said:
I only played FF VII and FF Tactics. I prefer FF tactics for the combat system.

Tactics Orge is so much better than FF Tactics

Apr 29, 2012 7:12 AM

Mar 2012
My favorites are :
FF4 Because this game has everything , romance, drama, Very good characters ,excellent combat system
FF6 The Opera scene is just waw
FF9 Behind the cute design , the game is really dark and that's why it's great .
Apr 29, 2012 8:45 AM

Feb 2005
Telesis said:
That's very true but at the very least I appreciate that the drama took a backseat compared to what little depth they had for the political war story. Square doesn't do the best job when it comes to drama in games (see FF13 haha). For the political story I felt like they had the right mindset but didn't explore it as much as they could have, still I was too busy through the gameplay to care that much. There were some other pretty cool themes that not many people notice though, for instance free will between Venat and the Occuran (sp?), honor, can't think of anything else now. Like the political war story they weren't too in depth but its nice that they were there.
Absolutely, the drama they put out in XIII was all so hamfisted and silly I'd rather just go take a toilet break when the cutscenes come.
But if they wanted drama, they could still have tried to tie it more in with the political story. I mean, you had the whole Basch - Gabranth thing, that's the kind of stuff that would work if they focused on it. Plus it annoyed me to no end how Ashe was supposed to be the figurehead of the rebellion, and yet all she did was trudging through caves in search of some super weapon. And then suddenly some huge rebel fleet gathers for the showdown with the death star Bahamut, and you're left wondering where they all came from. Would have been better if they'd give Ashe more or the responsibility she should have, send her around to gather support, DAO style, and maybe throw in some more drama with Rozarria, since, as far as I recall, they were supposed to be just as imperialistic as the Archadians.
And the Occuria issue should be more prevalent too.
Apr 29, 2012 10:09 AM

Dec 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Lauriet said:

Oh my god, a protagonist with actual balls and bravado? God forbid!
Apr 29, 2012 4:12 PM

Apr 2012
FF VIII

love the world, characters, music and story. draw system can drag on but pros overshadow cons by far.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 2 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
2 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
4 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
7 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
8 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.