Forum Settings
Forums

Misleading or overexaggerated titles for a series (NOT non-sensical titles)

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 3, 2012 12:06 PM

Jun 2009
LuckyMango said:

bakuman? - ive never heard that word described in the manga nor anime b4

just re-watch or re-read from the beginning again carefully!
Apr 3, 2012 12:08 PM

Jul 2011
Ma1evolence said:
Spice and Wolf

This...

SHE'S A FUCKING FOX GODDAMIT
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Apr 3, 2012 12:11 PM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:
Ma1evolence said:
Spice and Wolf

This...

Anime and novel uses the word Ookami(wolf) not kitsune(fox).

Apr 3, 2012 12:14 PM
Dec 2011
Anime_Name said:
SRCerberus71 said:
Kannagi- what this title even mean ?
11 eyes - WTF

Kannagi is Japanese for Shrine Maiden. You do know that Japanese people use the Japanese language in their shows, right?
Thanks, I didn't know Kannagi means Shrine Maiden(am not good in Japanese Culture)
Apr 3, 2012 12:19 PM

Sep 2010
SRCerberus71 said:
Anime_Name said:
SRCerberus71 said:
Kannagi- what this title even mean ?
11 eyes - WTF

Kannagi is Japanese for Shrine Maiden. You do know that Japanese people use the Japanese language in their shows, right?
Thanks, I didn't know Kannagi means Shrine Maiden(am not good in Japanese Culture)

All I did was read it's entry on MAL. The translated title is right there. The name is even on the DVD package. A little reading really helps to avoid crippling ignorance.

Apr 3, 2012 12:25 PM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:
Ma1evolence said:
Spice and Wolf

This...

Why though?...
Apr 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Mar 2009
Love TauxAzn's "Katanagatari. To much gatari; not enough katana.

Fruits Basket - It is a metaphor for being the odd "vegetable" in an assortment of fruit. Odd man out, left out. Also a children's game like musical chairs.

Legend of . . . .pick one carries a lot more weight in Japan that it does in the West. Legends are important, neither do they feel odd saying it.

Gundam Unicorn - There is a unicorn on the coat of arms of one of the prominent families involved.

Heroic Age - Age is the guys name. Age is Heroic.
Moryo no Hako - Actually, I thought Box of Goblins quite appropriate if one uses goblin metaphoricly rather than literally. (Loved that show!)
Clannad - Japanese spin on the Celtic term clan as in family.

Sweat Punch - Good one.

Pumpkin Scissors-Someone Japanese got fascinated by the American custom of carving pumpkins for Halloween but didn't realize that scissors would not be the least bit useful in the undertaking. (also a good show)
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 3, 2012 12:34 PM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:
Ma1evolence said:
Spice and Wolf

This...

Why though?...

Why what? So she has a brown coat and white-tipped tail. Those are popular features when some people draw fox cartoons but that pattern does not determine what is or isn't a fox.

Apr 3, 2012 12:35 PM

Oct 2011
FauxAzn said:

Fruits Basket. Not a single basket of fruits. Disappointed.

Yes. Finally somebody who notices that the title is so wrong. -_-

Also:
MM! - No way!?!?! M&Ms as moe girls????? no it isn't.

Soul Eater - They haven't even eaten a fucking soul since the first episode. -_-

School Days - Damn misleading title.

School Rumble - Not a shonen title, unfortunately. The hell?

One Outs - One out doesn't make you lose the game, dumbasses.

FullMetal Alchemist - AL is the Fullmetal Alchemist, not Ed.

Another - Why is it even CALLED Another, anyways?

Lucky Star - Um....... Why? O.o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2012 12:35 PM

Jan 2008
To be honest, I never even knew she was even considered a fox.

Kurano said:
FauxAzn said:

Fruits Basket. Not a single basket of fruits. Disappointed.

Yes. Finally somebody who notices that the title is so wrong. -_-

Also:
MM! - No way!?!?! M&Ms as moe girls????? no it isn't.

Soul Eater - They haven't even eaten a fucking soul since the first episode. -_-

School Days - Damn misleading title.

School Rumble - Not a shonen title, unfortunately. The hell?

FullMetal Alchemist - AL is the Fullmetal Alchemist, not Ed.

Another - Why is it even CALLED Another, anyways?

Lucky Star - Um....... Why? O.o

I gave MM a guess a page or two ago.

Soul Eater because the main character's name is actually name, Soul Eater, and the fact he and the others eat souls. You just don't always see it, that's all.

FMA. Yea, it's shown in the series that character always mistake the two to the point it's a commonly used joke but in the end, it's the title that Bradley gave Ed not Al. The metal is for his right arm and left leg. Al isn't a state alchemist.

Another was explained a while back. School Rumble was brought up and so was Lucky star.
PaulApr 3, 2012 12:40 PM
Apr 3, 2012 12:44 PM

May 2011
@ Inconscient

You clearly haven't seen her transform.

- Foxes don't howl at the moon
- Foxes don't scare dogs shitless
- Foxes don't plan on how to kill Sheppards

If anything though, she's a "foxy" Wolf. ^^
Apr 3, 2012 12:59 PM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
Why what? So she has a brown coat and white-tipped tail. Those are popular features when some people draw fox cartoons but that pattern does not determine what is or isn't a fox.

Exactly what it means to be misleading, no?

@-Shuda-
Yeah, well as my list suggests I haven't actually seen the series..
Apr 3, 2012 1:07 PM

Mar 2009
Usagi Drop - I think Usagi means Bunny. Seems she had a bunny toy and was "dropped" on him.

Durarara!! - A reference to the nature of Celty and a play on the Asian difficulty pronouncing L's.

RoCSC-006C1BST said:
champloo: is a form of popular Okinawan stir fry dish, generally containing vegetables, tofu, and some kind of meat or fish. Luncheon meat (such as Spam or Danish Tulip), egg, moyashi and gōyā (bitter melon) are some other common ingredients.
--Thanks. Makes sense now. Samurai mix up or jumble of parts that come together into one.

KeiranShikari said:
Black Lagoon - The black guy was called Dutch, not Lagoon.
--I assume you are being funny but just in case, it is a reference to the harbor and city run by criminals and not any one character.

Soulofakishi said:
Toradora. I mean what's a toradora
--The title Toradora! is derived from the names of the two main characters Taiga Aisaka and Ryūji Takasu. Taiga sounds like tiger in English, and tiger in Japanese is tora (とら?). Ryūji literally means son of dragon in Japanese, and a transcription of the English word dragon into Japanese is doragon (ドラゴン?). (Thank you Wikipedia. Why does it seem like I am the only person on this site who knows how to use Google?)

Paul said:
. . .-Code Gayass Geass was like wtf the first I read the title. Am I pronouncing this right? I'm sure I'm not the only one.
--http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geass

grandy_UiD said:
. . .I still have no idea why Red Garden is called that...sounded like some happy place when I first heard it.
--Garden = flowers = girls. Red = blood.

Ma1evolence said:
Blue Gender . . . .Berserk
--Blue Gender, got me. Berserk = Berserkers (or berserks) were Norse warriors who are reported in the Old Norse literature to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the English word berserk. Berserkers are attested in numerous Old Norse sources. Most historians believe that berserkers worked themselves into a rage before battle, but some think that they might have consumed drugged foods.(Thanks Wkikpedia)

Anime_Name said:
. . . . A little reading really helps to avoid crippling ignorance.

FireHeart said:
SilverDemon said:
Bleach could be a reference to death or spirits or killing hollows, since bleach cleanses impurities.
Tite Kubo is a huge Nirvana fan ^^ The name comes from one of their albums. And if you pay a little attention, Urahara Kisuke looks just like Kurt Cobain =)
--!!!!!!!!!You are right!

Kurano said:
. . .FullMetal Alchemist - AL is the Fullmetal Alchemist, not Ed. . . . Another - Why is it even CALLED Another, anyways?
--Fullmetal Alchemist is about both Ed AND Al and a reference to the metal prosthesis. What's confusing about Another. It was about an "extra" unaccounted for person/presence.

Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:
Exactly what it means to be misleading, no? @-Shuda- Yeah, well as my list suggests I haven't actually seen the series..
--I'm going to assume that he was being "clever" and saying she was "foxy" as in cute/attractive as in "That girl is fox." But then maybe no one uses that expression any more . . . . .
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Apr 3, 2012 1:13 PM

Apr 2011
Am I the only one who was paying attention while watching Fruits Basket?

It might not be the most relevant title, but Tohru's past involved her playing a game in elementary school called "fruits basket" where everyone was designated with a fruit and it was a sort of name-calling tag game. IIRC, the kids used to play jokes at Tohru's expense by giving her obscure fruits that no one would call, so she wouldn't participate in the game.
Apr 3, 2012 1:38 PM

Mar 2009
recheebts said:

It might not be the most relevant title, but Tohru's past involved her playing a game in elementary school called "fruits basket" where everyone was designated with a fruit and it was a sort of name-calling tag game. IIRC, the kids used to play jokes at Tohru's expense by giving her obscure fruits that no one would call, so she wouldn't participate in the game.
--Seems only about three of us grasped that part.
Apr 3, 2012 2:11 PM

May 2008
lisnoire said:
recheebts said:

Oh no, I got it. My attempts at humor just suck, that's all.
Apr 3, 2012 2:21 PM

Oct 2011
*scans list*

Clannad - what does it mean
Air - what does it have to do with the story?
Another - another what?
Baccano! - what does it mean
Angel Beats! - what does it mean
Darker Than Black - what color is darker than black?
Elfen Lied - what is an elfen?
Fate zero and Fate stay night - what does it mean
Usagi Drop - so bunny drop... maybe tears? the only bunny i see is rin's stuff toy
Apr 3, 2012 2:22 PM

May 2011
Summer Wars - Yeah...still a good movie, though.

AnoHana - While open to interpretation, I think it was a tad bit misleading.

Angel Beats! - Thought it was about angels and music. There was music, and there was an angel (sorta?), but it wasn't what I thought it'd be. I'm glad for that, though.

School Days - Haha, it's still funny, even if it's wrong as hell.

A-Channel - I thought they were doing a TV show, or at least a school broadcast or something. Not...nothing.
Apr 3, 2012 2:22 PM
Mar 2012
lisnoire said:
Moryo no Hako - Actually, I thought Box of Goblins quite appropriate if one uses goblin metaphoricly rather than literally. (Loved that show!)

I think that depends of what concept you have from the Goblins :) They don`t seem that bad to me. In some places it is said that they are very respectfull with the bodies of people they care, tough it`s really hard to Goblins create bounds with humans.
It is a great show!

Apr 3, 2012 6:49 PM

Jun 2008
FauxAzn said:
lisnoire said:
recheebts said:

Oh no, I got it. My attempts at humor just suck, that's all.
And I haven't watched the serious, so I'm just curious.
Apr 3, 2012 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
First of all, I think that basing something off on it's title is just stupid. A title doesn't necessarely needs to have something to do with the story, it may be just something that looks goods. It's very common to see "misleading titles" nowadays, and they're all over the place, even in classic literature. And we all know the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover."

Maybe you mean that there are some titles that don't make sense if compared to others, like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (The Time when the Cicada Cry), Steins Gate, Madoka Magica, and plenty others that "make sense".
But then we can take a look at even Naruto. You can say now "Hey what do you mean, he's the main character!"
No no no, not so fast. What if I'm being annoying and I want to interpret it as the japanese word "naruto", which means "steamed-fish paste cake"? Now what the hell does that have to do with the anime? It's so confusing!
I'm just being a bit defensive because I really like nonsensical titles, and I often use them :P.

But well, let's name a few anyway.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - I can only picture a couple of Neon-lightned evangelic churches by reading this. The genesis part is because they're reading the bible's genesis.
To Love-Ru - Maybe it's a play with "To Love You", but even if it was To Love You, it doesn't makes sense. The main characters doesn't loves anyone, he's heavily undecised.
Elfen Lied - "Elves don't lie" - Legolas Yeah I made this up.
Durarara! - ?????
MorbyllanApr 3, 2012 7:08 PM
「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!
Apr 3, 2012 7:07 PM
Mar 2011
Morbyllan said:
[color=grey
Neon Genesis Evangelion - I
i explained this a few pages back
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 3, 2012 7:12 PM

Nov 2011
@Enjolras
Yeah I can understand that the one who came up with the titles have his "own" meaning and how it's related for the series, thus you can see what I said in the rest of my post.
Like Durarara, it sounds like it's an onomatopoeia, and somehow just gives the feeling that the anime is out of the ordinary and crazy. At least gave me that feeling.
But the thread asked for titles that didn't have any other meaning, just for the ones that don't directly relate to it, even if they relate by looking at them by other perspective.
「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!
Apr 3, 2012 7:16 PM
Mar 2011
Morbyllan said:
@Enjolras
Yeah I can understand that the one who came up with the titles have his "own" meaning and how it's related for the series, thus you can see what I said in the rest of my post.
Like Durarara, it sounds like it's an onomatopoeia, and somehow just gives the feeling that the anime is out of the ordinary and crazy. At least gave me that feeling.
But the thread asked for titles that didn't have any other meaning, just for the ones that don't directly relate to it, even if they relate by looking at them by other perspective.

no i said if they used the proper title of the anime when traslting said title it would a fit better not thats it made sense im one of th biggest eva nuts going so i resreched this.
its all about context

so mistranslation = losing of context
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 3, 2012 7:20 PM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:

No because the topic is talking about titles and not the character's appearance. The title is Spice and Wolf. The anime presents a wolf to you. Thus the wolf part didn't mislead.

Apr 3, 2012 7:30 PM

Sep 2010
BlueKite said:
*scans list*

If only you'd read the thread as most of this have been answered here.

First page, it means family in Irish.

Not answered in the thread but it knowledge about the franchise would help. The game was divided into three segments; Dream, Summer, and Air. The imaginary of Air was skies, clouds, flying, etc.

Another - another what?

Answered in the show itself. It's what the mystery is about.

Italian for ruckus.

It's not really obvious but watching the show would shed light on the name.

The full title is Darker than Black:The Black Contractor. Hei isn't black which would lead one to think that the title isn't referring to the color black.

The name is borrowed from the German 'Elfenlied' poem.

I'm guessing it has something to do with fate. Not understanding what it means doesn't make the title misleading.
Usagi Drop - so bunny drop... maybe tears? the only bunny i see is rin's stuff toy

Drop as in putting down. It looks like a metaphor for growing up. The title doesn't make it obvious what the story is about but it is just vague enough to pique someone's interest at how odd a title it is.

If this topic was about titles that confused you, I would agree that all those titles confused you. But none of them were misleading.

Anime_NameApr 3, 2012 7:35 PM

Apr 3, 2012 7:59 PM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:

No because the topic is talking about titles and not the character's appearance. The title is Spice and Wolf. The anime presents a wolf to you. Thus the wolf part didn't mislead.

My bad, it's the series itself that's misleading >.>"
Apr 3, 2012 8:03 PM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:

Again nope. The series says wolf and shows you a wolf character that has a tail which reminds you of how some other people color fox tails. The show isn't being misleading, you're just getting confused because the artist doesn't think white-tipped tail=fox.

Apr 3, 2012 8:05 PM

Nov 2011
s-CRY-ed
X/1999
E's otherwise
SKET Dance
Apr 3, 2012 8:34 PM

Nov 2011
Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:

It is pretty easy to understand, especially if you watched it.(They make a reference to Spice and Wolf in season 1) In the anime Spice and Wolf, Holo represents the Wolf and Lawrence represents Spice. It's pretty easy to understand why Holo is the "Wolf", shouldn't need an explanation for that.
If you don't understand why Lawrence represents "Spice" it is because he is a travelling merchant and one of the most common goods you would find a merchant selling back then are various spices. In fact really good merchants were able to sell spices for ridiculous prices if they knew how to work the market and knew what was in demand and what was unwanted that could be bought dirt cheap.

At least that is my interpretation of it.

Then the series itself isn't misleading at all because it literally is about a merchant and a "wolf" travelling, making business deals, economics and of course the relation between the Merchant and the Wolf.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 3, 2012 9:06 PM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:
Inconscient said:
Anime_Name said:

Again nope. The series says wolf and shows you a wolf character that has a tail which reminds you of how some other people color fox tails. The show isn't being misleading, you're just getting confused because the artist doesn't think white-tipped tail=fox.

Lets face it, show someone who (obviously) hasn't seen the series a picture of Holo, and ask whether she resembles a fox or a wolf. The outcome should be obvious.
Her appearance is misleading; twist it as far as you want, the fact remains she looks like a fox.

"a brown coat and white-tipped tail are popular features when some people draw fox cartoons but that pattern does not determine what is or isn't a fox."
Still, those traits obviously hint more toward foxes rather than wolves..
You can draw a fox and claim it to be a wolf, but to the people who are unaware of this, it's still a fox. That's what I'm going for.

@Ragix
Well I guess it isn't that misleading after all..

I drop my case, debating about a subject I don't know anything about can not gain me anything.
Though still, drawing a fox and saying it's a wolf is confusing.
datfagApr 3, 2012 9:14 PM
Apr 3, 2012 9:10 PM

Jan 2011
this is off topic but i feel i should bring this up. we've been talking about exaggerated or confusing titles, and i noticed there was an anime that did sound exaggerated. TTGL(translate:Heavenly Breakthrough Gurren LagannHeavenly Breakthrough Gurren Lagann) , until the end you find out that they weren't exaggerating at all o.o

one that was completely misleading: Shuffle! <---again with the exclamation marks too lol
i thought it was a anime about poker

agreed on Sket dance, i still think it's about dancing.

for spice and wolf, it's been explained on the wolf part already (btw, i thought she was a wolf, not a fox at the beginning due to the name). the name makes plenty of sense. spice was a major commodity during the heights of trade. often traveling merchants merchandised spices, since most stores then were occupied by trades (baking,iron working, carpentry etc). the spice symbolizes merchants, thus spice and wolf means merchant and wolf.
hellsascendantApr 3, 2012 9:16 PM
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Apr 3, 2012 9:33 PM

Aug 2011
I know this has already been mentioned, but Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica...it was a mahou shoujo, and it was about Madoka, but the title was just way too frilly and girly to represent the true nature of the series.

Also, Final Approach sounds like an action/fantasy series, when it's actually a shoujo (?) romance.
Apr 3, 2012 11:00 PM

Mar 2009
joline said:
lisnoire said:
I think that depends of what concept you have from the Goblins :) They don`t seem that bad to me. In some places it is said that they are very respectfull with the bodies of people they care, tough it`s really hard to Goblins create bounds with humans. It is a great show!
--I that case it is pretty literal at least with the bits of the bodies . . . . . .and boy did I butcher the spelling of metaphorically!

Adair said:
. . . . Also, Final Approach sounds like an action/fantasy series, when it's actually a shoujo (?) romance.
--Yeah. I was disappointed. I was hoping for something about aviation. A "final approach" is what takes place just prior to landing.
lisnoireApr 3, 2012 11:07 PM
Apr 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Jun 2011
Won't bother quoting people, but I'll explain some of the supposedly misleading titles:

Ghost In The Shell - A "ghost"/"soul" was theorised(by the philosophers of the anime, it relates to some real theories worded differently, but I forgot by who) to develop eventually in a "shell", i.e. AI machines, e.g. the Tachikomas. There are some discussions amongst them whether they have developed true souls/ghosts at the end of the 2nd Season.

Full Metal Panic - It's an anime full of militaristic references, in this case, the full metal jacket bullet. In the subbed anime and the manga there are probably heaps of militaristic references that went way over people's head, also it might refer to the film Full Metal Jacket. Not my fault if you know neither about films nor weapons.

11 eyes - in the story 6 people suddenly are in a really weird and terrifying world(or so its synopsis says). One person has 2 eyes, there is a guy with one eye, so 5x2+1 eyes= 11 eyes.

Love Hina - Hinata is the pension where everything happens. "Love is there". I simplified the equations, all you need is to put the variables in their respective places.

Gosick - Gothique is gothic in French, which pronunciation kind of sounds like Gosick if it were to be written in English, and is sort of the style of clothing Victorique dresses. Remembering I'm referring to the original "Le mouvement gothique" not the fans of Cradle of Filth.

Hayate no Gotoku - Falls into the category, you don't know what it means=/=(misleading or over-exaggerated).

Neon Genesis Evangelion - pretentious, yes, misleading? No.
Neon=New. Genesis= what the Christians call the Torah of the Hebrews.
They are being attacked by Angels(yes, in the anime they are the actual Angels sent by God). So in another words, it's the book of Revelations in a certain way, since they planned with the Instrumentality Project to end the world as we know it, the definition of human, to take away the fruit of knowledge eaten by Adam and Eve as if humankind never ate it, with knowledge being individualism.
Edit: forget to mention that Evangelion are gospels, or also Evangelium, in some language, and Latin: Evangeliarium.
RoCSC-006C1BSTApr 4, 2012 1:36 AM
Apr 4, 2012 12:36 AM

May 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist: Even the ones in the actual show are thrown off by this if you're comparing the title to the lead.
Apr 4, 2012 2:29 AM

May 2010
FauxAzn said:
...I guess I'm still not sure what you're on about. How is "death" and "note" over-exaggerating, when it literally had a notebook that caused death?

Just like what others stated, naruto should be called "Sasuke's Adventures" ...yes they had a character name naruto, but seriously everyone loves the emo.

As for death note, yes they have a death note, but because of L, everyone watched death note because of him. My point is that L's tea-party is far far faaaaaarrrr more suitable title for the overrated show.
Apr 4, 2012 2:31 AM
Jan 2012
Berserk, there is no reason such a soft series should be called something so misleading.

Apr 4, 2012 3:04 AM

Aug 2011
Kazeshini said:
(...) L, everyone watched death note because of him.

No.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=377
See? 463 people out of 917 didn't watch Death Note because of L.
Tiago97Apr 4, 2012 3:08 AM
Apr 4, 2012 3:11 AM

May 2011
Kazeshini said:
Just like what others stated, naruto should be called "Sasuke's Adventures" ...yes they had a character name naruto, but seriously everyone loves the emo.

I will have to disagree with that. While some might be into Sasuke for his character, I wouldn't say it is worthy enough to change the title. The main focus is on Naruto and therefore is what the producers have decided to base the title off of, it is in no way misleading. I would likely not be as interested in the series if it was solely based of him either. While he does have a very interesting background, I would still rather enjoy the current plot as it is. ^^
Apr 4, 2012 3:16 AM

Jun 2009
Morbyllan said:

To Love-Ru - Maybe it's a play with "To Love You", but even if it was To Love You, it doesn't makes sense. The main characters doesn't loves anyone, he's heavily undecised.

Japanese read it as "Toraburu" or Trouble. like what always happen to Rito with all girls
Apr 4, 2012 5:07 AM

Jun 2009
IZUMI64 said:
Morbyllan said:

Japanese read it as "Toraburu" or Trouble. like what always happen to Rito with all girls

Was about to explain that but you beat me to it.

Yeah, it's really just a pun (that makes little sense to non japanese, or those that are unfamiliar with the way they pronounce love). The official german translation actually calls that manga "Love Trouble"
Apr 4, 2012 5:18 AM

Oct 2011
Tiger & Bunny is pretty misleading. You'd think it'd be an adorable little anime of cute animals and such, but it was anime about superheroes. (I much prefer what it is compared to what people thought it could be, though!)
|ω・)
Apr 4, 2012 5:52 AM
Jul 2011
Annoiato said:

- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should be renamed Delusions of a Crazy Bitch

Haha! This.

Bleach- I heard they named it Bleach because they main character bleached his hair orange? Is that true?

Fruits Basket- It only has a single mention of Fruit. When the girl played the game and was named the onigiri. WTF was up with that?

Black Rock Shooter- I know it's named after the character, but why was the character named Black Rock Shooter anyway?

Usagi Drop- Why this name Usagi Drop? Doesn't usagi mean rabbit? I did not see a rabbit in this series.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Apr 4, 2012 5:56 AM

Mar 2008
IceBubbleTea said:

Usagi Drop- Why this name Usagi Drop? Doesn't usagi mean rabbit? I did not see a rabbit in this series.

Huh? Yup, usagi means rabbit and I just watched an episode of Usagi Drop today and Rin has a rabbit-plushie.. I'm not sure what the "drop" stands for though.. maybe tears? @.@
Apr 4, 2012 6:03 AM
Jul 2011
FUN said:
IceBubbleTea said:

Huh? Yup, usagi means rabbit and I just watched an episode of Usagi Drop today and Rin has a rabbit-plushie.. I'm not sure what the "drop" stands for though.. maybe tears? @.@

But was the rabbit significant? I've seen the whole series, and I didn't really think so... Good to know about the rabbit plushie though.

And it's not really a sad anime, so I don't really know about the tears bit either...
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Apr 4, 2012 7:05 AM

Sep 2010
IceBubbleTea said:
FUN said:
IceBubbleTea said:

But was the rabbit significant? I've seen the whole series, and I didn't really think so... Good to know about the rabbit plushie though.

And it's not really a sad anime, so I don't really know about the tears bit either...

Keep in mind Usagi Drop is originally the name of the manga and rabbits are a prominent theme on the book cover. The drop part means Rin will eventually drop her stuffed bunny. It's an indirect allusion to her growing up even though the anime didn't have the time skip.

Apr 4, 2012 7:22 AM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:

Lets face it, show someone who (obviously) hasn't seen the series a picture of Holo, and ask whether she resembles a fox or a wolf. The outcome should be obvious.
Her appearance is misleading; twist it as far as you want, the fact remains she looks like a fox.

Is this thread about her appearance being misleading or the title being misleading? I'm not twisting anything. I'm trying to get you back on point and away from an off-topic discussion.

Still, those traits obviously hint more toward foxes rather than wolves..
You can draw a fox and claim it to be a wolf, but to the people who are unaware of this, it's still a fox. That's what I'm going for.

I can't stop what people think but having a person read 'Wolf' in the title and then showing them a girl with a furry tail most people would then think that girl is a wolf of some sort. Of course if a person isn't aware of the title then what they think is even more up and dependent on what picture of Holo is shown but those thoughts are not because of the title.

Though still, drawing a fox and saying it's a wolf is confusing.

They drew Holo in girl form with a tail and ears but you perceived it as a fox because of your limited perception on how animal coats should look.

Apr 4, 2012 8:08 AM

Dec 2009

Thats actually not only referring to the game Toua was playing on Okinawa, but also to the contract he signed with the team owner (where he got payed for each batter out)...

IceBubbleTea said:
Bleach- I heard they named it Bleach because they main character bleached his hair orange? Is that true?

was already explained:
FireHeart said: Tite Kubo is a huge Nirvana fan ^^ The name comes from one of their albums. And if you pay a little attention, Urahara Kisuke looks just like Kurt Cobain =)

IceBubbleTea said:
Fruits Basket- It only has a single mention of Fruit. When the girl played the game and was named the onigiri. WTF was up with that?

That "single mention" actually shows Tohru's personality. In a moment of her inner monologue there is explanation of her thoughts of being always apart from others - thats why she keeps idea she'll never become important and close for someone. Yet i agree - without watching the name itself is misleading.

IceBubbleTea said:
Black Rock Shooter- I know it's named after the character, but why was the character named Black Rock Shooter anyway?

Meh, just google it... It was originally a song by ryo sung by vocaloid Hatsune Miku... the name of the song is.. ye, its "Black Rock Shooter".

Zlae said:
Tiger & Bunny is pretty misleading. You'd think it'd be an adorable little anime of cute animals and such, but it was anime about superheroes. (I much prefer what it is compared to what people thought it could be, though!)

well, just looking at the posters/trailer will give you clear idea who's Bunny and who's Tiger there - their outfits say enough.

As for the thread:

Blame! - its neither name of character or city, nor have to deal with some one whos guilty... wasnt reading manga, maybe they say something about it.

Wonderful Days - i would never expect a sci-fi drama under such name. After watching i know the reason of the name given tho.
Apr 4, 2012 11:11 AM

Oct 2011
Anime_Name said:
BlueKite said:
*scans list*

If only you'd read the thread as most of this have been answered here.

First page, it means family in Irish.

Not answered in the thread but it knowledge about the franchise would help. The game was divided into three segments; Dream, Summer, and Air. The imaginary of Air was skies, clouds, flying, etc.

Another - another what?

Answered in the show itself. It's what the mystery is about.

Italian for ruckus.

It's not really obvious but watching the show would shed light on the name.

The full title is Darker than Black:The Black Contractor. Hei isn't black which would lead one to think that the title isn't referring to the color black.

The name is borrowed from the German 'Elfenlied' poem.

I'm guessing it has something to do with fate. Not understanding what it means doesn't make the title misleading.

Drop as in putting down. It looks like a metaphor for growing up. The title doesn't make it obvious what the story is about but it is just vague enough to pique someone's interest at how odd a title it is.

If this topic was about titles that confused you, I would agree that all those titles confused you. But none of them were misleading.

Thank you for answering my questions. I didn't read the first few pages because I replied right away about anime titles.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

29 by Azuchi »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
20 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.