Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think yaoi manga can influence one's sexuality?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 24, 2015 3:02 AM

Jan 2012
Personally i don't have any experience...
I'm as straight as ever... I like boys...
And i actually dont ser why yaoi should change ones sexuality... I'm personally dont like Yuri,but If anything i'd say Yuri might do more than yaoi^^
Dec 24, 2015 3:05 AM

Mar 2015
Fujoshis want the D (no lesbians).
Dec 24, 2015 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Mayuka said:
Yes, it can make a "straight" male realize that he's a bisexual.

Exactly, well said.
Dec 26, 2015 4:03 PM

Sep 2014
You can't choose your sexuality.
You are born hetero/bi/gay/... and it won't 'change'.
Reading yaoi/yuri does not influence one's sexuality, but it can kind of help to deal with it, such as beeing more open about it.
Dec 26, 2015 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
Wouldn't reading yuri make a girl gay? Not yaoi, maybe open their perspectives on sexuality, but wouldn't change it.
Dec 27, 2015 12:46 PM

Dec 2015
This reminds me of South Park episode "Tweek x Craig" where Japanese girls start drawing Yaoi and it turns out the Japanese choose who is gay via this method of art. Worth a viewing, it's from the latest season. Some good art in it (all legit as the creators requested people send their drawings in to them to use. Turns out Tweek/Craig Yaoi is a thing) Turns them gay but that's a tv show.
Jan 2, 2016 8:38 PM

Dec 2015
Mayuka said:
Yes, it can make a "straight" male realize that he's a bisexual.

This. If you're gay after yaoi, you were probably gay before it.
Jan 4, 2016 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
Yaoi probably won't change a person's sexuality.
It may make them more open to similar homosexual relationships, but if you were an unquestioning hetero before reading it, then you'll probably be as straight as an arrow afterwards as well.

How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow?
It is natural -- you need to smile to your sorrow because you are more than your sorrow. (Thích Nhất Hạnh)
Jan 4, 2016 3:06 AM

Dec 2015
Of course it can't change someone's sexuality. Sexuality is far more complex than that.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 4, 2016 4:03 AM

Mar 2015
I don't know. But I don't think so. I read a lot of yaoi manga and djs way before I started an account in MAL. I'm still a straight girl.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 4, 2016 12:34 PM

Aug 2012
nah, been reading yaoi for a while in both manga and fanfiction forms and im still straight, its just that two men going at it is hot, like im sure to a straight guy two women going at it is hot, cant say anything about lesbo/gay/bi cos I don't have many close friends openly in those relationships, I thought it was a general agreement you cant influence sexuality, just discover it.
"one truth preveils" never was a bigger lie told in all of manga-land...
Jan 4, 2016 12:48 PM

Dec 2015
it doesn't. People could become to understand that POV but that's it , it doesn't really affect your sexuality.
Jan 4, 2016 1:52 PM
Jan 2016
I went through a yaoi phase a few years ago, so I know what you're getting at.

However, now that I've had experience in relationships with both girls and boys, I can say that I don't really think yaoi caused my sexuality, nor do I think it can change one's sexuality either.

I think it could possibly make someone curious, but if a person is truly straight, they won't be able to have a fulfilling same-sex relationship. It would be the same for a gay person trying to have a fulfilling heterosexual relationship.

Also, I think lesbians/bi girls might find enjoyment in yaoi because a lot of yuri seems more directed towards the male gaze...
Jan 4, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2015
No i don't think so, you may feel something sometimes depending on the amount of times you read yaoi, maybe the repetition of reading it make you love it but won't change your sexuality.
Jan 6, 2016 8:44 AM

Jan 2010
uwuvuwu said:
I don't really think yaoi caused my sexuality, nor do I think it can change one's sexuality either.

I think it could possibly make someone curious, but if a person is truly straight, they won't be able to have a fulfilling same-sex relationship. It would be the same for a gay person trying to have a fulfilling heterosexual relationship.

Also, I think lesbians/bi girls might find enjoyment in yaoi because a lot of yuri seems more directed towards the male gaze...

This. Besides that, yaoi is obv targeted at straight girls (the audience who seeks yaoi the most in the first place) and most are very heteronormative (ex. seme/uke dynamics + little to no versatile characters). I imagine gay guys prefer bara more?
Jan 6, 2016 9:39 PM

Apr 2015
I was bi long before I started reading yaoi. I don't think that sexuality can be so easily influenced. I hate to speak in such absolutes and I'm well aware of Alfred Kinsey's Sexuality Scale and his belief that sexuality is fluid rather than solid, but I'm of the opinion that if you are LGBT, then that's simply the way you've always been. You were born that way. I didn't chose to be bi, that's just the way I've always been.

A guy isn't going to suddenly love dick because he read about two guys getting it on. Should something like that happen, I'd naturally assume that guy had at least a subconscious desire to explore / understand his sexuality (which *could* have brought him to read the manga in the first place). It's the same for a female who reads yuri. If she goes to women because of that, I'd assume the same thing.

Most of the people I know in life are LGBT and not one of us woke up one morning and said 'I think I'll be gay today'. It simply didn't work like that. In my opinion, anyone who says that they just woke up LGBT one day simply didn't understand their sexuality until they then. They were always like that, but didn't recognize it until that moment. Like an light bulb moment when the truth of their sexuality registers in their consciousness.

Recognizing sexuality can be hard for bisexuals, in my opinion, since it can be easy to ignore or overlook attraction to the same sex when you're also attracted to the opposite sex (depending on your personal tastes, of course). You just write off attraction with easy excuses because you feel attraction for the opposite sex. Then one day it boils over, or something happens, and you can't really deny it anymore or finally see it in yourself, if that makes sense. I knew I was bi when I was a young child, but I repressed it, gave myself excuses, and ignored that part of me until my early twenties when I finally came to terms with my sexuality.

Moving on...

A woman who turns to other women because of male homosexual manga doesn't make any sense to me, honestly. It's not as if you (a woman) is going to suddenly turn into a guy and get a dick shoved into your butt with another woman. I mean, you're just going after the wrong gender.

If anything, I could see yaoi influencing more women to engage in anal sex,. I can also see it causing women to see everything through 'yaoi googles', but I don't see it causing women (or anyone else for that matter) to become LGBT.

I can liken it like this: I can read all the books on astrophysics that I can find. That's not going to turn me into an astrophysicist.
"You babble on about how you want to know, but you're never prepared to handle it. To know means to be prepared to know. Once you find out the truth, there's no going back. You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.'' -Nezumi; No. 6 (Light Novels; Volume 2, Chapter 5)
Jan 7, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2016
Nah, you are either straight or gay

or both ofc.
Jan 7, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
CrownClown_ said:
I think so. No straight guy would ever read yaoi imho or?
You're implying as if every straight guy was homophobic?
Jan 25, 2016 7:40 PM

Dec 2011
Pantsu said:
uwuvuwu said:
I don't really think yaoi caused my sexuality, nor do I think it can change one's sexuality either.

This. Besides that, yaoi is obv targeted at straight girls (the audience who seeks yaoi the most in the first place) and most are very heteronormative (ex. seme/uke dynamics + little to no versatile characters). I imagine gay guys prefer bara more?

There's yuri for women just as there's yaoi for men but they get kinda... drowned out by the other (more popular, louder) target audience. I know I have difficulty finding yuri I like bc there's just so much moe in that genre that I can't stand. I agree that bara is less (if at all) for the female gaze and more for men to take back and enjoy.

Yaoi can't change your sexuality but it can help you realize something about yourself, whether you treat it just as a form of escapism or to help open other curiosities.
Jan 26, 2016 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
Midievalfantasy said:
A woman who turns to other women because of male homosexual manga doesn't make any sense to me, honestly. It's not as if you (a woman) is going to suddenly turn into a guy and get a dick shoved into your butt with another woman. I mean, you're just going after the wrong gender.

If anything, I could see yaoi influencing more women to engage in anal sex,. I can also see it causing women to see everything through 'yaoi googles', but I don't see it causing women (or anyone else for that matter) to become LGBT.

I can liken it like this: I can read all the books on astrophysics that I can find. That's not going to turn me into an astrophysicist.

It's pretty well known that the Japanese lesbian community was heavily influenced by the yaoi genre at its premise.
Nearly every studies about the yaoi genre mention that. For example I'll quote Beautiful, Borrowed, and Bent: “Boys' Love” as Girls' Love in Shōjo Manga from James Welker:
>> Lesbian activist Ôe Chizuka, for instance, explains that she turned to these manga given the lack of representations of female-female desire and that she “really identified with or saw [herself] in [manga] works by people like Hagio Moto and Takemiya Keiko” (Anı̂su 2001, 39). Activist, scholar, and manga fan Mizoguchi Akiko goes further, declaring that she “‘became’ a lesbian via reception, in [her] adolescence, of the ‘beautiful boy’ comics of the 1970s” (2003b, 49).

And as the title of the study suggests: you can totally read yaoi manga as they were yuri. That's why it has such impact on the lesbian community. Bishōnen were created as "women in male body", it's less true in today yaoi manga, but was definitely a thing during the first decades of the yaoi genre.

UselessEgg said:
Pantsu said:

There's yuri for women just as there's yaoi for men but they get kinda... drowned out by the other (more popular, louder) target audience. I know I have difficulty finding yuri I like bc there's just so much moe in that genre that I can't stand. I agree that bara is less (if at all) for the female gaze and more for men to take back and enjoy.

Yaoi can't change your sexuality but it can help you realize something about yourself, whether you treat it just as a form of escapism or to help open other curiosities.

Yes, there is definitely yuri aimed at women, simply because the yuri genre was born in the shōjo demographic. Its inclusion into the male demographics is fairly recent compared to whole history of the yuri genre.

@UselessEgg : you can try some yuri josei, notably the works of Takemiya Jin or Amano Shuninta, like Fragments of Love or The feelings we all must endure. They are definitely not "moe".
And there is also Pietà in my fav'.

For the "bara" genre. It's designed mostly towards men, but that don't stop women to read it, or even draw it. For example if Est Em mainly do yaoi, she also draw some manga in the "bara" anthology Ura Gekidan.

As for men…
The yaoi genre is very stereotyped, filled with bishōnen, and the seme/uke dynamic, but the "bara" genre is probably worse than the yaoi genre, concerning the stereotyping.
Because that's how the Japanese gay community works, with the stereotypes; the kuma-type, the gaisen-type, the debusen-type, the fukesen-type, et cætera. The "bara" seems more diverse, because there is different stereotypes, but they are still bland stereotypes.

And some gay men are sick of that stereotype-mania of the gay community, so some of them can turn into yaoi for that reason. And anyway: the bishōnen is also a stereotype used in the gay community.
Jan 26, 2016 2:59 AM

Jul 2013
It varies with everyone, but it doesn't do it necessarily. Yuri doesn't influence mine.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 26, 2016 4:17 AM

Dec 2011
lady_freyja said:
@UselessEgg : you can try some yuri josei, notably the works of Takemiya Jin or Amano Shuninta, like Fragments of Love or The feelings we all must endure. They are definitely not "moe".

Ohh my gosh thank you ♡♡ I'll definitely be looking into these. When I say moe I mainly mean... cut and dry characters? One dimensional? I don't mind cuteness. I hope that got across in my post.

lady_freyja said:
For the "bara" genre. It's designed mostly towards men, but that don't stop women to read it, or even draw it. For example if Est Em mainly do yaoi, she also draw some manga in the "bara" anthology Ura Gekidan.

+1 est em her artwork is gorgeous, what a great influence on the community.
Jan 26, 2016 4:29 AM

Apr 2015
lady_freyja said:
Midievalfantasy said:

It's pretty well known that the Japanese lesbian community was heavily influenced by the yaoi genre at its premise.
Nearly every studies about the yaoi genre mention that. For example I'll quote Beautiful, Borrowed, and Bent: “Boys' Love” as Girls' Love in Shōjo Manga from James Welker:
>> Lesbian activist Ôe Chizuka, for instance, explains that she turned to these manga given the lack of representations of female-female desire and that she “really identified with or saw [herself] in [manga] works by people like Hagio Moto and Takemiya Keiko” (Anı̂su 2001, 39). Activist, scholar, and manga fan Mizoguchi Akiko goes further, declaring that she “‘became’ a lesbian via reception, in [her] adolescence, of the ‘beautiful boy’ comics of the 1970s” (2003b, 49).

And as the title of the study suggests: you can totally read yaoi manga as they were yuri. That's why it has such impact on the lesbian community. Bishōnen were created as "women in male body", it's less true in today yaoi manga, but was definitely a thing during the first decades of the yaoi genre.

UselessEgg said:

Yes, there is definitely yuri aimed at women, simply because the yuri genre was born in the shōjo demographic. Its inclusion into the male demographics is fairly recent compared to whole history of the yuri genre.

As for men…
The yaoi genre is very stereotyped, filled with bishōnen, and the seme/uke dynamic, but the "bara" genre is probably worse than the yaoi genre, concerning the stereotyping.
Because that's how the Japanese gay community works, with the stereotypes; the kuma-type, the gaisen-type, the debusen-type, the fukesen-type, et cætera. The "bara" seems more diverse, because there is different stereotypes, but they are still bland stereotypes.

And some gay men are sick of that stereotype-mania of the gay community, so some of them can turn into yaoi for that reason. And anyway: the bishōnen is also a stereotype used in the gay community.

You make great points. I admit that I don't know as much as I'd like about Japanese culture, especially regarding this topic, so I'll look further into your information.

What you said, in a way, does make sense. Yaoi is oftentimes more...satisfying than yuri, though I'll admit I've never read a yuri manga and only one yuri anime that I was by and large disappointed with. I have watched many lesbian movies and I end end up utterly unhappy with most of them. If I have to watch another lesbian drama about a woman cheating on her husband or wanting to have kids, I'll scream. In that regard it's no surprise I prefer gay movies as well, such as Latter Days. Given this, it's probably also little wonder why I enjoy yaoi and haven't bothered with the yuri genre yet. While I don't view the men as females, I like anything that can show LGBT issues and/or embracing and coming to terms with one's sexuality, no matter what gender you are.
"You babble on about how you want to know, but you're never prepared to handle it. To know means to be prepared to know. Once you find out the truth, there's no going back. You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.'' -Nezumi; No. 6 (Light Novels; Volume 2, Chapter 5)
Jan 26, 2016 6:46 AM

Jan 2010
No, it doesn't. If you would change you're sexual oriëntation because you read some Yaoi. It's the same as saying that some gay guy reading some hentai would turn him straight. You may be sure gay guys also read hentai, but they also like reading yaoi, because they can also enjoy the sex.
Also, their is a difference between gay yaoi and yaoi made for girls. The gay yaoi have usually muscular guys into it (it's most of the time called bara), while the yaoi manga for a female audience has skinny guys.
Jan 26, 2016 8:41 AM

Dec 2015
Yaoi turned me gay :(. Nah, I'm just kidding. I think I read one manga that had yaoi themes in it (No. 6) and I actually enjoyed it. I wouldn't go out of my way to read any yaoi though. That type of stuff doesn't appeal to me, nor am I sexually attracted to guys or enjoy seeing two guys kiss/have sex. If it pops up in a manga it wont kill me though, and wont make me rate the manga any less because of it (from a straight male's perspective).
Jan 26, 2016 9:12 AM

Feb 2013
No, and Yuri does not turn women gay.

I'm straight and married and i like to read yaoi, sooo (and no, i'm not bissexual).
Feb 18, 2016 2:36 PM

Jan 2014
I was a pansexual before I got into Yaoi and Yuri.

"With all due respect, if you keep running your mouth, I'm gonna lose it."
Feb 19, 2016 12:21 PM
Sep 2015
a lot of girls watch lesbian porn and they say their straight lol
false! the truth is all women are bisexual

if a man watch yaoi for every 1 minute he watch his gaysness increase by 1%
after you watch 30 mins of yaoi you are already 30% gay lol
Feb 19, 2016 12:23 PM
Sep 2015
Rashidz said:

I'm straight and married and i like to read yaoi, sooo (and no, i'm not bissexual).

wrong it can't turn women gay because women by default are bisexual
Feb 19, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2013
Do traps count as yaoi?
Feb 19, 2016 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
jucheck said:
Rashidz said:

Yeah sure, opinion straight out of daily mail and buzzfeed quality articles.

If you read more about it, it's a heated theme among the field, and far away from that kind of absolute true.
Feb 20, 2016 3:56 AM
Sep 2015
Rashidz said:
jucheck said:

If you read more about it, it's a heated theme among the field, and far away from that kind of absolute true.

i don't read buzz feed or daily mail

mother nature who is a lesbian btw told me all women are bisexual.
Feb 20, 2016 11:37 AM

Feb 2013
jucheck said:
Rashidz said:

Ok, each to their own opinion i guess.
Feb 20, 2016 1:31 PM
Sep 2015
Rashidz said:
jucheck said:

Ok, each to their own opinion i guess.

it's a fact bruh not a mere opinion :)
Feb 20, 2016 1:50 PM
Dec 2015
I'm not sure if it can influences ones sexuality, but it can influence their opinion.
I'm female and friend came out as pansexual and at that time i didn't really agree with the idea of homosexuals.
I randomly watched this anime (Junjou romantica) one day, and it turned out to be shounen ai.
And I came comfortable with the idea so now I can support my friend.
Feb 20, 2016 1:53 PM
Dec 2015
jucheck said:
Rashidz said:

Actually it's scientifically proven that EVERY HUMAN male or female are slightly bisexual.
Women tend to be more homosexual than men but not enough to get crushes or to peep on friends getting changed etc..
Remember that I used the word 'slightly'.
I'm not saying that everyone on the planet is LGBT, I'm saying being a human is being slightly homosexual.
There done.
Feb 21, 2016 9:11 PM

Feb 2013
FrozenJemima said:
jucheck said:

Actually it's scientifically proven that EVERY HUMAN male or female are slightly bisexual.
Women tend to be more homosexual than men but not enough to get crushes or to peep on friends getting changed etc..
I'm not saying that everyone on the planet is LGBT, I'm saying being a human is being slightly homosexual.
There done.

No it is not scientifically proven that every human are slightly bisexual, even the Innate bisexuality by Freud was never proven, and even renowed sociologists cannot affirm with 100% certainty that (as an example, my Master's degree mentor Richard Miskolci, that also agrees with you that the bisexuality is innate and the heterossexuality is socially imposed, but it is not "proven" by any means, because to "prove" it, you would need to bypass too many cognitive bias.
Feb 24, 2016 10:19 AM
Sep 2015
Rashidz said:
FrozenJemima said:

There done.

No it is not scientifically proven that every human are slightly bisexual, even the Innate bisexuality by Freud was never proven, and even renowed sociologists cannot affirm with 100% certainty that (as an example, my Master's degree mentor Richard Miskolci, that also agrees with you that the bisexuality is innate and the heterossexuality is socially imposed, but it is not "proven" by any means, because to "prove" it, you would need to bypass too many cognitive bias.

sexually humans choose who ever they want to fuck... dog, cat, goat, chicken yeah even those.
humans overpopulate the earth and is ridden with STD because of their secks malpractice

the only solution is human genocide we will attain peace on earth! no more cancer like me and no more feminazi land whales and other cancerous things out there like charitable institutions, kind people and ISIS.
Feb 25, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2013
jucheck said:

sexually humans choose who ever they want to fuck... dog, cat, goat, chicken yeah even those.
humans overpopulate the earth and is ridden with STD because of their secks malpractice

the only solution is human genocide we will attain peace on earth! no more cancer like me and no more feminazi land whales and other cancerous things out there like charitable institutions, kind people and ISIS.

Yeah i have to agree with you that you are really cancerous.
Jul 7, 2016 5:05 PM
Jun 2016
I've already a gay before reading yaoi, but I'm reading shounen/action/shoujo/ecchi/some hentai/other genre XD manga before reading yaoi and it doesn't make me straight. Never tried yuri, but i think it doesn't influence your sexual orientation.

Oh, and i don't like bara...
VykmonJul 7, 2016 5:17 PM
Jul 8, 2016 11:39 AM

May 2011
Yes, it can. When someone reads and watches it so much, all the exposure makes it seem more natural and normal to the point where they question themselves.

I had a friend who got into Yaoi deep and even decided she wanted to be a guy before she went back to being a girl.

"But he who dares not grasp the thorn, Should never crave the rose." — Anne Bronte
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
38 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
4 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
5 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.