Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2012 1:35 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought that this special was at least intriguing and a little enjoyable.
It's probably because they mixed up the whole Lupin formula kind of.
The female antagonist was quite sexy and Fujiko had her nude moment so I can't really complain there.
What I really enjoyed was the use of Goemon; it was nice to see him in more action when compared to other iterations of Lupin III.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2014 10:56 PM

Jun 2010
Decent, but it's weird how it's not until halfway through that Anita is really introduced. She was at the funeral scene earlier, but she's not even really singled out as anything other than "young woman who reacts to loud noise". It's fine if she's not the kind of leading lady unique to the piece that most of the previous TV specials had, but she's still ultimately important enough to the plot that she really needs some time to shine that she doesn't really get. She's a young architect struggling for inspiration, her mom knew Mark...and that's pretty much it it. Her deepest characterization comes when she sympathizes with Subirachs for having to succeed Gaudi which was a good part but really the only one.

The way the Sagrada Família lit up after the sun rose was a little too ridiculous, even for Lupin III.

The scoring is fairly bad quality. It's over-reliant on the iconic theme from the second TV series and seems to crib from the James Bond theme at times. James Bond was an obvious influence on the creation of Lupin III, but it's had its own identity from the beginning and it's not as this one is particularity Bond-esque. A few scenes, like the physical comedy of Lupin rolling around attached to the Bocca della Verità or Goemon's first fight with the assassin don't work nearly as well as they should because the scoring is lazily inappropriate.

Speaking of over-reliance on the iconic status of the second TV series, doing the typewriter thing with the title card with the old fanfare was a bit too cute. Such specific cribbing from the best-loved Lupin III work seems to me more like leaning on a crutch than anything. Plenty of the previous TV specials were decent to good without having to rely on the past so.
Jan 3, 2015 12:10 PM
Sep 2013
actually if you look into ancient history youll find that cgaliostro mystery of mamo secret of the blood mermaid and this movie all have ties to speculated theories
this one has to do with sound power
how materials can react with the power of our sun (natural earth resources) and manipulation of sound can manifiest objects
also how tied aliens and religion
honestly fronzel seems like you were trying to find things to bitch about in this movie it said multiple times anita had worked with mark personally but oh i guess her mom just knew her... thats it..
i know most lupin special are bad but i consider this a treasure
TreedogsJul 31, 2016 10:21 PM
Feb 6, 2017 10:12 AM

Aug 2012
I enjoyed most of this special quite abit. The heavy use of slapstick for the opening 2/3 of the special was alot of fun. Lots of good albeit goofy moments.

This certainly wasn't a serious Lupin special and that was very apparent come the remaining third. The whole Sagrada Familia stuff was a little silly but that sort of was in line with the rest of the special upto that point. Though the tone at the end wasn't quite the same as the earlier hijinks which led to some disconnect.

In the end though as I say I enjoyed the slapstick and also the character moments throughout with each of the crew getting alittle time to shine on their own which was cool.

A very good special overall but certainly a very different special as well.
Jan 9, 2019 5:00 AM

Nov 2017
I really liked how colorful this one was and the use of "Gaudí's Sagrada Familia" in the second half.
Jul 21, 2019 11:26 PM

Jul 2008
It's always nice to watch Lupin after awhile. It's always a fun watch.

The story felt like a normal Lupin episode. The twist this time being returning stolen goods, but it had all the standard Lupin moments. Nude Fujiko, Fujiko betraying Lupin, Zenigata catching Lupin, the Lupin escaping, etc. It's all there.

It was a cool light show in the end though.

7/10
Jul 29, 2019 10:33 AM

Sep 2011
This one was amazing! I never thought I would see Lupin returning so many treasures. xD And this part was pretty funny too. Like with the Boca de la Verite, but I felt bad for poor Goemon being used like that to return the coffee one. And I loved how Lupin took a selfie with each treasure, even one with Zenigata. xD And that female hitman was skilled! I couldn't believe when she wounded Goemon, and I got disappointed when Jigen was captured without being able to help him. But even though he was tortured, and almost killed, he was still able to escape and fight. Lupin was right when he said that he wouldn't miss the climax.

And Fujiko was amazing too! I can't remember the last time I saw her fighting so much, she totally defeated those mafia goons, and really helped Lupin in getting into that tower in time. Goemon's final duel against the female hitman was good too. He was able to avenge that man despite being wounded. And I love how Jigen defeated the old man by rendering his great automatic gun useless. This special really didn't shy away from killing the antagonists. Ian was one hot idiot, and treated the woman as an object, but he became her shield and they died on each other's arms in the end. I didn't care about them much, but this scene still moved me a bit. I loved Anita too, she was really cute, and a nice addition to the whole thing. Welp, there were other amazing things, like Zenigata believing in his luck for the third time only to be crushed by the falling wall at last. xD But I will stop here, I loved it.
Sep 4, 2021 7:09 PM
May 2021
I really liked this one! This is one of my favorite Lupin movies next to Cagliostro and The First. To me, most movies follow the Cagliostro formula where Lupin has to team up with an NPC girl to stop a greater evil than his petty thievery, but this movie was completely different. The biggest strength of this movie was that is gave all of the cast, including Goemon a chance in the spotlight instead of having Lupin, the NPC girl, or Jigen hogging it. Introducing the NPC girl in the second half is a good move by the movie so that everyone in the main cast gets screen time before we have to care about this new character. And don't even get me started on the OST. Yuji Ohno kills it as always.

Edit: I forgot to add the repeating jokes of Lupin breaking out of prison with an explosive and threatening Zenigata with a concussion always make me laugh, especially the one where he pretends to be a changed man and cries with Pops(called him his dub name here 'cuz it's easier to type).

The ending of the movie always moves me to tears inside because of how everything wraps up neatly, the beautiful music, and the gorgeous shots throughout the city of the completed Sagrada Familia in the dusk feeling very much like a painting, yet also so tangible I could imagine it in my head. This is a 10/10 no doubt.
Oct 20, 2021 11:30 AM
Apr 2021
It is boring.No suprise I had to skip minutes after I reached the half of them.The fujilup at the ending was good never mind and the way Fujiko admitted the treasure which you can hold isn't the only one that matters was nice gesture too.But the ending song and the animation itself🤢
Jun 28, 2022 1:47 PM
Mar 2021
Simple, yet fun Lupin III story - especially the first part of this TV Special.

As a European myself, I was quite impressed by how accurate the environments were here, which actually felt like the places they were supposed to be, instead of generic.

Also, Competent!Zenigata! That's always fun to see.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.