Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 24, 2011 3:08 PM

Dec 2011
After hearing this recommended so many times, I watched it for the first time yesterday with a friend and wasn't incredibly impressed. I might have been going into it with too many expectations, but I just felt like it was good, not great... Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the artwork and the way the story flowed/came together, but there were just some things that really bothered me. I just can't get over them and I've got to vent them somewhere, so please excuse this rant.

1. Chiaki's reason for leaping back. I'm assuming that it's commenting on the "power of art", but I guess I just don't really buy it. Also I understand that he has to go back because he doesn't belong in that time, but he didn't have to leave to abruptly. He could have at least stayed a bit longer to see the painting...

2. Makoto's waste of leaps. Granted, she didn't know there was a limit at first.. and the ones used while talking to Chiaki added realism, but when everything started going wrong and she started hurting other people my first thought was, "Oh hey, go back before you started leaping and start again." I guess it bothers me that she didn't come to the same conclusion until the very end. I'm not saying that's what should have happened in the story because honestly that would have just been boring, but her action didn't make sense, which is why I'm bothered.

3. Contingency of events. The problem I have with this is complex and a lot harder to explain... Some others have mentioned the time leap plot hole type things and it's along those likes, so I'm just going to leave it as is.

In a way the simplicity of the story was nice. I just feel like since the movie doesn't explain too much, there's a lot put on the viewer's plate. And while I don't want to be guided by the hand through stories, I still want to be immersed in their universe without getting confused and stuck on things.
Jan 3, 2012 7:45 PM

Jan 2011
I remember having watched this with my ex-girlfriend about 2 years ago and I was deeply impressed by it. In fact, I gave the film an easy 10/10 on MAL without never regretting it.
But today I watched it again and things changed a bit drastically. While I still love the artwork (magnificent, to say the least) and the soundtrack, I found a HUGE amount of holes in the plot.

To begin with, the whole concept of "time leaping" is seriously fucked up. I mean, if you hypothetically could go back to the past, you would be in a different timeline where things could be so much different. To make it clear, the past you're travelling to is a DIFFERENT past: it's not the same past as before. So events and characters should be different too, at least they wouldn't be doing the EXACT things they did in the other timeline. And this applies into every time leap Makoto makes.
This requires a lot of further explanation and, as I'm not a native english speaker, I'm unable to explain it into scientific terms, but I guess you get the general point.

Then there's a problem of consistency in characters. Like citrusaid was saying...Chiaki travels the past just for a damned piece of art...seriously, WTF!? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE art but this has no sense. If you're SO interested in this painting, why don't you steal it? I mean, you could stop time like he does in the film, having some charging while doing it, and then take the painting off the museum, go back to the future...and that's it! But hey, he finally feels attached to the Era he travelled past to, so I'll give him some credit here.

There's also very little development on characters and mostly of the time leaps are just silly and useless and again, like citrusaid was saying...why didn't she come back to the time before she started leaping to prevent these little but annoying things keep happening? Maybe with the first 20 leaps she was still naive about the power she had, but for God's sake...didn't she have a single clue after 80 leaps?

All in all, I felt this film wasn't bad...no, in fact it's very beautifully made and it flows perfectly despite the huge script mistakes. Most of the times, when you rewatch something, you only focus in inconsistencies rather than emotions and feelings. So if someone who hasn't watched the film yet is reading this post, I'd recommend to watch this film right away! because the first time you watch it, it's moving and wonderful. But I wouldn't recommend to watch it again, IMO.
Jan 7, 2012 8:13 AM

Aug 2010
did not really enjoy it because i hate short hair girls LOL.

but thats just me :D
Jan 7, 2012 8:48 AM

Sep 2008
iWishTifaWasReal said:

strangely I felt attracted to her character, probably one of the only few and very rare instances where I ended up liking a female lead in an anime.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 17, 2012 2:39 PM
Sep 2011
I actually love it, seen it twice,onc ein sub and now in dub. and i would easy watch it again
the only real thing is it seems to drag a bit in the middle, and you have to follow real close to understand it.

But saying that it still fantastic especially the Dub version
Jun 30, 2012 4:41 PM
May 2009
iWishTifaWasReal said:

you 'hate' short haired girls? What? What kind of opinion is that
Jul 25, 2012 2:39 AM
Mar 2008
iWishTifaWasReal said:

Short-haired girls are beautiful. That's also a really petty reason to not like a character/show/movie. I don't care for ponytails, but I still like shows that has a girl with a ponytail in it.
Jan 25, 2013 11:27 PM

Aug 2012
Silmendil said:
I remember having watched this with my ex-girlfriend about 2 years ago and I was deeply impressed by it. In fact, I gave the film an easy 10/10 on MAL without never regretting it.
But today I watched it again and things changed a bit drastically. While I still love the artwork (magnificent, to say the least) and the soundtrack, I found a HUGE amount of holes in the plot.

To begin with, the whole concept of "time leaping" is seriously fucked up. I mean, if you hypothetically could go back to the past, you would be in a different timeline where things could be so much different. To make it clear, the past you're travelling to is a DIFFERENT past: it's not the same past as before. So events and characters should be different too, at least they wouldn't be doing the EXACT things they did in the other timeline. And this applies into every time leap Makoto makes.
This requires a lot of further explanation and, as I'm not a native english speaker, I'm unable to explain it into scientific terms, but I guess you get the general point.

Then there's a problem of consistency in characters. Like citrusaid was saying...Chiaki travels the past just for a damned piece of art...seriously, WTF!? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE art but this has no sense. If you're SO interested in this painting, why don't you steal it? I mean, you could stop time like he does in the film, having some charging while doing it, and then take the painting off the museum, go back to the future...and that's it! But hey, he finally feels attached to the Era he travelled past to, so I'll give him some credit here.

There's also very little development on characters and mostly of the time leaps are just silly and useless and again, like citrusaid was saying...why didn't she come back to the time before she started leaping to prevent these little but annoying things keep happening? Maybe with the first 20 leaps she was still naive about the power she had, but for God's sake...didn't she have a single clue after 80 leaps?

All in all, I felt this film wasn't bad...no, in fact it's very beautifully made and it flows perfectly despite the huge script mistakes. Most of the times, when you rewatch something, you only focus in inconsistencies rather than emotions and feelings. So if someone who hasn't watched the film yet is reading this post, I'd recommend to watch this film right away! because the first time you watch it, it's moving and wonderful. But I wouldn't recommend to watch it again, IMO.

Your analysis of how "traveling to the past" makes no sense. You're saying that going back into the past will result in a different past every time. That is just ridiculous though. If you travel back from a present, the past that made up that present will be the same. So, if you're in Present A, which occurred from Past A, if you travel back to "another past", it will still be Past A, not a Past B. The only thing that could be affected is the future. This makes logical sense.

I don't see what is wrong about Chiaki traveling to the past to see a painting. We do not know what intrinsic value, moral value, sentimental value, et cetera, that this painting holds in the future.

Oh, and given that Makoto is a middle school student, probably with little scientific reasoning, I feel as if it is safe to assume that she would use her time leaps on meaningless things.

KappaG3 said:
Silmendil said:

Finally, I don't get one last thing: If Makoto went back in time to the very moment she acquired that power, then why didn't she "recharge"? This could only mean that the "timetravel nut" is a being that trascends time, and this is pretty unlikely. If we assume for one second that this movie was real, the moment Makoto went back in time and touched the "nut", she would have gotten another full charge of time leaps.

We saw that using your own time leap consumed your charges, but if you were affected by a different time leap, it would restore or not consume a charge. Think of it like a limited energy source on the vessel, aka the human body. This makes sense because Makoto was about to retain her memories from previous time skips.

Why didn't the "nut" have another round of full charges? I feel like it travels along the time skips with the person.
Apr 22, 2013 3:38 AM

Nov 2011
Somebody should slap a shoujo genre on this thing.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 13, 2013 5:55 PM
Jan 2013
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and although the characters are somewhat unrealistic, they still stay true to themselves. There are a few flaws to each of your points.
1. Makoto displays time and time again that she is irrational. She doesn't often think and takes things for granted. The biggest example of this, is when Chiaki confesses his feelings towards her. She continually avoids him and facing up to his feelings without even thinking about it. The reasoning behind all the waste of leaps is because it takes her a while to realize 'Oh yeah! I should think before acting!', believe me, there are a lot more people like that than you think.
2. We're not told very much from the future point of view about the painting. There may be some deeper meaning that we're unclear of, or something totally different. We just don't know. Yes there is lack of knowledge there, but perhaps there is more to it?
3. I thought the description of time travel was very simple and easy to follow. Not everything lasts forever, and the thought of the time travel and the time 'nut' being temporary was clever and realistic.

Again, this may just be my opinion, feel free to give me heck for not having my facts straight. ^^
May 18, 2013 10:28 PM

Sep 2010
I wouldn't say i didn't enjoy it, but i do think its over rated. I felt both the plot and the characters were weak and the ending felt unfinished and didn't seem to sync up well with the story. It was decent enough that i wouldn't tell someone it wasn't worth watching but i also wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone either.
Jun 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
I don't think its amazing, as the one above me stated, it is highly overrated...simply put the whole story could be totally different if she wasn't naïve with her leaps...if a story can be unraveled that much by one single alteration, then it means it wasn't that good to begin with, but then again I suppose you wouldn't have a movie if you did that

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 14, 2013 8:50 PM
Jul 2012
It is an okay movie. The only thing ruined is the romance part where she should just say yes, and then the repetitive time leaps of Makoto. If she would learn more about it, and don't use it all the time, then the series will be fine. I actually agree to people who says that this series is overrated.
Nov 4, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2009
It was average, which bugs me since many people recommended it. The story has holes and parts of it make no sense. The artwork is decent but I have seen better.
Dec 20, 2013 10:12 AM

May 2012
How this anime compare to live action ?

I only watched live action, but not sure if the anime worth watching. Live action film was average at most.
Dec 20, 2013 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
It was one of the few animes I didn't mind. I thought it was fine but story was really short
Jan 14, 2014 8:24 PM

May 2012
I didn't enjoy it. I watched about an hour of it till I decided i didn't care. Dumb girl getting the ability to travel through time literally out of nowhere then using it to do dumb things like influence her friends love life would bring rise to the typical problems one would expect to come with time travel, and that's exactly what happens in this movie. Boooooring :|
Jan 15, 2014 10:16 PM
Apr 2013
thepath said:
How this anime compare to live action ?

I only watched live action, but not sure if the anime worth watching. Live action film was average at most.

I don't think you should watch the anime version if you didn't like the live action movie (which I loved). Although, I personally like the anime more.
Feb 11, 2014 3:05 PM

Apr 2012
I did enjoy it but not as much as I could have if Makoto wasnt such a dumb dumb girl. In general the characters seemed to be controlled more by theiir crazy hormones than their brain, and god was Makotos crying awful, looked more like a newborn baby. But other than that I thought it was pretty good so it got a solid 8/10 from me.
Feb 12, 2014 6:09 PM
Feb 2014
What I say next is not from hate and to cut down this anime movie (SORRY if it sounds it). It's more of the questions I ask myself when trying to understand why EVERYONE loves this anime movie.

Art/animation-
I don't understand what is so GREAT and AWESOME about this anime movies art??? Even people who don't this anime movie think the art is "SO GREAT". Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films (including the ones before "this anime movie) had more detail in the character design. In this anime movie the characters hair have no depth in them. There is barely any movement in the hair when these characters move. Like when Makoto feel down the hill.
The color in this WHOLE anime movie is SO DULL! It's so hard and depressing to watch.
Maybe it was "Great" at the time it was made. But WHY are people who have just seen it like a month ago are like "praising" it's art? Animation Technology has really advanced through the years. It's been seen in all anime's and anime's movie.
So I don't get what's "SO GREAT".
Story-
I don't understand why this anime movie is so emotional. Yea. He had to leave. Yea. It's sad. But they WILL meet again in the future. So how is it emotional? At least they'll get to see each other again in the future.
My #1 favorite anime movie that also involves time travel is MORE emotional than this anime movie ever will be.

The emotion they have and the pain they have in my #1 favorite anime movie is MUCH STRONGER and HEARTBREAKING than this anime movie.
I also didn't see any original memorable romantic scenes or any quotes that express the feeling we humans feel each day.
Some of the quotes in my #1 favorite anime movie have TRUE emotions and feelings behind them. And the meaning behind them will stick with you.

The only thing I liked about this anime movie is the IDEA of time travel.
Other than that; it's just another romance anime. Nothing emotional or anything.

And I too agree that this anime movie is SO SO SO SO SO OVERRATED!!!
Rhythm_of_SoulFeb 12, 2014 6:53 PM
Feb 13, 2014 11:40 AM

Dec 2013
not as good as i was expecting it to be from the score it has but it was enjoyable none the less. I think they didnt play out the romance part as well as they could have
Feb 13, 2014 11:51 AM

Dec 2013
One of the better Anime movies out there!

Feb 14, 2014 8:40 PM
Jan 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Considering this was made in 2006, I found the animation direction very pleasing to the eye. It's more of a preference, really. I'm just drawn to character models that largely maintain bodily proportions and don't have gapingly large eyes.

I didn't find this movie particularly emotional but I did find the ending very bittersweet. Thinking of it from Makoto's perspective, after realizing her own feelings for Chiaki, she was never able to hear a legitimate confession from him in the present timeline she was in. Instead, Chiaki left her with the understanding that he would wait for her in the future, a future she has no idea when it would occur. My only disappointment is not knowing whether or not Makoto and Chiaki wind up together in the future.
Feb 15, 2014 11:35 PM
Feb 2014
Kadouzeki said:
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Considering this was made in 2006, I found the animation direction very pleasing to the eye. It's more of a preference, really. I'm just drawn to character models that largely maintain bodily proportions and don't have gapingly large eyes.

I didn't find this movie particularly emotional but I did find the ending very bittersweet. Thinking of it from Makoto's perspective, after realizing her own feelings for Chiaki, she was never able to hear a legitimate confession from him in the present timeline she was in. Instead, Chiaki left her with the understanding that he would wait for her in the future, a future she has no idea when it would occur. My only disappointment is not knowing whether or not Makoto and Chiaki wind up together in the future.

At least they will get to see each other again. Whether the relationship is the same or not; they'll still be with each other even if it's just as friends.

I would take THAT over what I say next: imagine this
You are a time traveler who was sent to the past to complete a mission. But while in the process; you fell in love with someone who was in that era. Yet no matter how much your love for her grew and no matter how much her love grew for you; you had to hold back your love.
You had to always tell yourself that this relationship was never going to work. Because once you went back to the future; she would forget you completely! You had to make sure that this love/relationship NEVER went further than it already has.
You eventually tell her you are from the future and that you have to leave soon. You kindly reject her in your own way. But later on; she confesses her love to you. But no matter HOW MUCH you love her; you have to push her back and reject her.
You have NO CHOICE but to return to the future because you are out of time.
You go back to the future and she has COMPLETELY forgotten you.
You are in the future now.
BUT!
You have to live your life feeling the PAIN and SADNESS of being forgotten of by your love even though YOU still remember her and that love you had for her. But she will NEVER remember you. She will move on and find new love.
You could say “move on”. But the stronger your love; the HARDER it is to let go when the time comes.
Also; there aren't a lot of people in the future left. So how are you going to find new love?
Love can either be the BEST feeling in the world...or...it could be one of the WORST PAIN you've ever felt.
This is what happened to my favorite character in my #1 Favorite anime movie of ALL TIME!!!You will not see him think this way. But if you see him the way I do (I see them further than what's shown in the anime movie); you'd know the PAIN and SADNESS he went through.
I'm SORRY.
But I don't expect Makoto to ever know how this guy feels since she WILL get to see Chiaki again.
That is why I don't feel much emotion to this anime movie when I've seen another anime movie that has a guy that goes through FAR MORE PAIN than Makoto ever has/will.
Rhythm_of_SoulFeb 15, 2014 11:44 PM
Aug 20, 2015 7:13 PM

Jul 2012
iWishTifaWasReal said:

Oh finally someone who understands!! I was thinking the same thing. They could've made the main character long-haired and I would've enjoyed the Anime. Instead they made the character short hair and just ruined everything. I can't express how frustrated I am. I had to drop few dramas before because the actresses have short hair. I really wanted to watch Secret Garden (Korean drama about gender body swapping) but I had to drop it because the director decided to make the main female MC short haired. how ridiculous is he. Thanks God most anime has long haired female MC, if not my dropped list would've steadily increased.
よろしく!
Sep 2, 2015 9:55 PM

Jul 2014
I haven't watched it yet, but from what I can read from a lot of peoples concerns the reason was probably that it's a movie, and granted movies are still supposed to immerse you into their world and explain everything that happens or at least hint at everything clearly, but they can't do it as well as an anime spanning multiple episodes. So that already should reduce your expectations slightly for it.
Nov 14, 2015 11:56 PM

Dec 2014
I have watched it.. It was not bad but the use of time travel seemed overrated
Jan 17, 2016 4:55 AM
Jan 2016
I really liked it when I first saw it, but having re-watched it just now, I find the mc so annoying and dumb, I would have called it The Idiot who Leapt Through Time. Don't get me wrong, the plot was ok, I like the art and the voice acting. It's just that the mc seems super dumb and her clumsiness is too cliche. Also, I have questions (1) what was so important about the painting that would make Chiaki travel time to see it (yet, ironically, he can't wait a few more days to see it restored)? (2) Technically, if not because of Makoto's time leap he would've already stayed up to that point where the painting was restored in the first run, why is it in the *nth rerun, he had to leave right away?
(3) The story strongly implies that Makoto's aunt experienced time leaps as well, so is that Chiaki on her high school photo? Is that the reason she became a museum curator? Will makoto follow that career path to save the painting?
(4) What era is Chiaki from? Even if Makoto and her aunt successfully protect the painting in their lifetime, what's the guarantee it wouldn't get destroyed before Chiaki's time?
(5) Why did Chiaki say he'll wait for her? Wouldn't she be either too old or dead in his time?
Jan 20, 2016 6:45 PM

Nov 2015
The show was enjoyable, though I thought the plot was weak. There were quite a bit of unanswered questions.
Jan 20, 2016 7:06 PM

Sep 2015
Ending sucks, but I love that movie.
Jan 20, 2016 7:11 PM

Jul 2015
Did I just read a SERIOUS complaint about the fact that the MC has short hair?

*Jumps out of the window*
Feb 8, 2016 4:40 PM

Dec 2013
Just finished it and to be honest it was not that good as I'd expected it to be. To be honest, i didn't like the MC either, not because of her hair..., but because of her selfish and stupid decisions.
Why didn't she travel back in time when she realized that she caused that one guy to be bullied.
Why didn't she prevent her friend to be hit by the fire extinguisher, or at least don't let her get hit that hard, so Chiaki could still develop feelings for her friend.
Yet they still haven't really explained why she suddenly was back in the lake when she first discovered how she could travel back in time.
Feb 21, 2016 1:51 AM
Feb 2016
Silmendil said:

well you see your concept of understanding timeline/string theory is flawed when applied to this movie's concept of time leaping; time leaping in this movie utilizes a device that allows the user to travel back in the same coherent timeline, where events will occur exactly the same as she remembers them to originally occur, until the point in which decisions are changed. Meaning everything will go exactly the same until someone does something different. the fact that their timeline is changed is due to that change in decision/actions and not due to the time leap because they are time leaping in the same timeline in a way that it does not create doubles of themselves aka paradoxes
Jun 22, 2016 2:21 PM

Aug 2015
I had seen quiet a lot of people talking a lot about how Wolf Children, Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time were really good. Naturally after hearing so much about them I decided to give them a try, and it was a mistake... I started with Wolf Children and found the characters annoying. I decided not to let that bother me and tried Summer Wars instead. Again, I was disappointed.. Why did they even bother adding romance when they where going to develop it so sloppily is beyond my understanding. Too many one dimensional characters getting unneeded screen time too. Finally I decided to watch this one, I had seen that this one was very emotional and what not. But no, annoying characters all over again...

Overall, I kinda regret watching this thing. I didn't think the art or visual were special either. Some shots just felt useless like, "Look! This is what time looks like when it stops!!" It was pretty unnecessary and I would have preferred to see that time go into actual explanations about the time leap deal.

Oh! Also, the number of time leaps left just made me realize how unbelievable stupid the mc was... She might had caught on if she had played UNO at least once or knew how to use her brain.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Discussion (GO WATCH THIS) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - May 11, 2007

502 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 24, 9:59 AM

» plot hole

Algazero - Nov 10, 2010

18 by Khashishi »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.