Forum Settings
Forums

Ways to get others to buy DVDs [post your thoughts here]

New
Jul 19, 2008 7:26 PM

Jul 2007
This club is a small step to helping revive the industry. By getting people that buy anime together, this club has planted a seed. I think that we might need some addition ideas though to better the plan of getting others to support. If you have any ideas plz post them here. Feel free to comment on the suggestions as well.

atm one of my first suggestions is to put somewhere in your profile (preferably at the top), that you support anime and why others should support it... You can take my profile as an example if you want to do this. I have put banners in the club description if you want to link back to the club as well.

Anyways, any plans are appreciated so please share. ^_^
"The Answers are out there, you just have to find them..."
Triforce of Shadows - President of Anime Club At UAB

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 28, 2008 9:05 AM

Jun 2007
There's a big, obvious problem that stands primarily in the way of people supporting anime - price. When the lower-end DVDs cost about 20$, it's hard for the average college or high school student to afford any, especially considering that subs are free. (Manga is easier to persuade people to buy, because it's only about 10$ and can be previewed if the buyer is unsure) The solution that I've found, the only one that I've been able to persuade my friends to buy DVDs with, is discounts. I shop at a variety of discount/secondhand stores both at Swarthmore in Philly and back home in Pittsburgh, and usually they have some good stuff. What I do is this - I take my underclassmen shopping with me, and tell them to bring their wallets. Most of them (myself included) won't be willing to pay full prices, but will gladly buy hardcopy anime at some of the better discounts (5-8$ a disc). Best part, they keep coming back, because they can afford to. I even meet some underclassmen now on my own shopping excursions. But, yeah, I think the primary hurdle is the high prices, which are considered, for the most part, as an optional expense.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Aug 6, 2008 8:10 PM

Jul 2008
For any of your friends who also like anime; buy them their favorite series for their birthday/Christmas/etc. You will have supported the industry; your friend will have a high quality copy; and you'll have made someone happy, to top it off!

@ Torisunaohokori - I am going to have to look for places like that where I am while I'm still in a big city; anime doesn't exist in small towns. Great idea, though!
Jan 10, 2009 10:15 AM

Oct 2007
I think the idea that the industry at least in the USA sucks needs to be changed. Instead of forcing people to change their habits one must gradually change them. One way is for them to watch shows that are collected already by us. This way they can at least see that the releases aren't as bad as they might imagine. This is especially so for the subs. People scream that they hate dubs but still don't realize that the dvds usually come in both versions so that really shouldn't be an excuse. Show them that not all subs done legally are dubtitles and that should bring some people over.

Next one can try to get them to rent out anime. At least this way part of the proceeds are helping out the industry. Depending on how much money they spend it will be cheaper in the long run for those who are complaining about the prices of anime. Then maybe when they appreciate the dvds more they could start saving up and buying some more.

Next is to show them the sales, especially online. You don't have to pay full retail price. There are too many vendors (legal ones) they run sales. Money shouldn't really be any excuse.

The hugest problem is that I think the most vocal are people not from the USA. The access to anime is more restricted and so when USA fansubbers shuts down the fansubs those people are out of luck. The market needs to be extended to those other countries. Perhaps if we can get people to start petitioning for at least a translated sub in their language or their region if they can understand English and can't import R1s, then maybe people will start buying more.

The fact is that there will always be fansubs. We just have to try to get people to buy some dvds in return. I'm not an advocate for extremes but I think the industries deserve some payback for all they have done.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Jan 31, 2009 7:34 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah, I feel the same way. I believe it you enjoyed a fansub you should buy the DVD, even if your intention is not to watch it.

I personally usually like Fansub quality higher than DVD Sub quality, so for subs I only watch the Fansubs, but I still usually get the DVDs soon after... I watch a good bit of Dubs though (Majority), and I just get the DVDs for that.

Renting is a good alternative for some, but they have to get into the commitment of the steady monthly fee for netflix and stuff.

I can agree that there are alot of sales online, especially on Rightstuf.com. I buy 100s of DVDs from them every year.

On other Countries, it varies from Country to Country. Some Countries sell Anime DVDs for way over the original price and add taxes on top of that. But I'm sure they can find some stuff that is reasonalble to buy, to show a little support at least, but I know where they are coming from.

I'm waiting till Official Subs get to the Quality of Fansubs (HD Episodes, High Quality 32bit Subs, On sign translations, Karaoke, etc.) Also I like how they are making some shows like Naruto available legally 1hr after it airs in Japan. I hope that they can start making Downloads instead of streams though one day. (They could do like iTunes and put your name in the file so if you share it online it comes back to you, to prevent piracy.)

But like you say, I think there will always be a balance between Fansubs and Official Releases, so we support both if we enjoy the show fansubed.
"The Answers are out there, you just have to find them..."
Triforce of Shadows - President of Anime Club At UAB

Jun 18, 2010 1:28 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah...good luck fighting that windmill. You can NOT get someone who only downloads to buy, EVER. And why should we? HD fansubs >>>>>>> DVDs.
Jun 19, 2010 5:22 PM

Sep 2009
DmonHiro said:
Yeah...good luck fighting that windmill. You can NOT get someone who only downloads to buy, EVER. And why should we? HD fansubs >>>>>>> DVDs.
it's a matter of respect for the art and industry .. I find it a bit ignorant for anyone who has that much passion for anime to ignore the fact that downloading fansubs only is killing the industry, which in direct correlation is killing the art!
Aug 16, 2010 7:14 AM

Jan 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
it's a matter of respect for the art and industry .. I find it a bit ignorant for anyone who has that much passion for anime to ignore the fact that downloading fansubs only is killing the industry, which in direct correlation is killing the art!

The Japanese industry has it's hardcore otaku that buy everything for ludicrous prices, so that industry is no going under. The R1, however, IS going under, and I couldn't be happier. And even if the R2 looses some income and isn't able to make as much anime, maybe that will make them make better anime, since there's less money to go around, and can't produce mediocre show after mediocre show. So, from my POV, the death of the R1 industry is a good thing.
Sep 18, 2010 4:05 PM

Sep 2009
DmonHiro said:
The Japanese industry has it's hardcore otaku that buy everything for ludicrous prices, so that industry is no going under. The R1, however, IS going under, and I couldn't be happier. And even if the R2 looses some income and isn't able to make as much anime, maybe that will make them make better anime, since there's less money to go around, and can't produce mediocre show after mediocre show. So, from my POV, the death of the R1 industry is a good thing.
@DmonHiro... your comments leave me wondering why you joined this club to begin with? .. and perhaps you're posting in the wrong place as your overall message does not seem to even fit the threads title/subject of "Ways to get others to buy DVDs"
Dec 28, 2011 10:47 PM

Jan 2009
My mom and I have supported the anime industry when we can. Since I really got into anime 6 years ago, my mother and I buy at least two or three complete sets yearly. Granted one might say that's expensive, but were I live we have a store that has used tv/series box sets for a decent price and that includes anime. They also have several big sales throughout the year where one can get a box set for half the price. There's even an anime store I frequent that has decent prices for used anime. Granted this is all used anime, but in the past when Suncoast was still open we'd buy new. We even buy manga from time to time.

Also if netflix isn't an option to rent, of which I never saw the point of renting, there's always your public library. You can always see if they have anime. Mine didn't until a few years ago, now they have Naruto, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop and others. Granted it's not buying but it's another step to getting a hold of anime. More often then not your library will have manga as well. Even if they might not have anime ;) For those of you who read manga anyway... I'd suggest Best Buy but their prices are expensive. But I suppose if that's all you have to buy anime from and you really want to support the anime industry then you can't complain to much.

And as always there's buying from the internet but for people who aren't able to do that, myself included, it sucks cause there are deals you can only get online. So my suggestion is to look around at your local movie/anime places and frequent them from time to time to see if the deals on the anime is worth it. If not then keep looking or buy online if you can. If you can't well don't feel to bad you still have fansubs but buy that anime you want when the chance presents itself ;)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Where to buy anime online...

Jusenkyo_Guide - Dec 10, 2009

3 by Sweets78 »»
Jun 22, 2017 10:42 AM

» Where to buy anime Merchandise in Europa

tobi5797 - Jan 4, 2014

0 by tobi5797 »»
Jan 4, 2014 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.