Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2011 10:26 PM

Aug 2011
DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ANIME. IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.

Anyway, even though I finished Clannad: AS about a month ago, it's ending pops into my head occasionally, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Now, the ending was actually a happy one. The flow of time reversed, and in the end, Nagisa survived the birth of their child and they lived together.

But is there an actual hidden ending behind all this? Did the flow of time really reverse for Tomoya, or did he just die of despair on that cold, winter day, and went to heaven (or whatever you want to call it; maybe he just went crazy) where he lives in a different world than that of reality?

It's a weird thought, but I keep thinking about it for some reason. Maybe I'm digging way too far.

Thoughts?
Oct 1, 2011 10:29 PM

Jan 2011
Indulg3 said:

Anyway, even though I finished Clannad: AS about a month ago, it's ending pops into my head occasionally, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Now, the ending was actually a happy one. The flow of time reversed, and in the end, Nagisa survived the birth of their child and they lived together.

But is there an actual hidden ending behind all this? Did the flow of time really reverse for Tomoya, or did he just die of despair on that cold, winter day, and went to heaven (or whatever you want to call it; maybe he just went crazy) where he lives in a different world than that of reality?

It's a weird thought, but I keep thinking about it for some reason. Maybe I'm digging way too far.

Thoughts?

Then I must ask, what is the absolute difference with the two? Our minds are constricted forcefully to our stimuli, and we honestly cannot have 'accurate' probes of what 'really' happened. We simply get what our brain gets.

If it's really 'illusory' in that manner, then Rene Descartes(I think?) might like to have a day with you about the difference.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Oct 1, 2011 10:39 PM

Sep 2008
Page stretch Spoilers for Tomoyo After
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2011 11:00 PM

Aug 2011
Zmffkskem said:
Then I must ask, what is the absolute difference with the two? Our minds are constricted forcefully to our stimuli, and we honestly cannot have 'accurate' probes of what 'really' happened. We simply get what our brain gets.

If it's really 'illusory' in that manner, then Rene Descartes(I think?) might like to have a day with you about the difference.

You are absolutely right. I see it that way as well.

I was just wondering on what you guys thought the directors intentions were.
Oct 2, 2011 5:34 AM

Jul 2011
Indulg3 said:
You are absolutely right. I see it that way as well.

I was just wondering on what you guys thought the directors intentions were.

I think they were giving us hope. The story is so sad that changes real life for pure bad luck. Nagisa's health, 2 characters without a mother, problems of all kind. You make the watcher bear the suffering of Nagisa's and Ushio's destiny.

Clannad is telling you, life is hard, but whatever happens you can find happiness on your family. It's like a reward. After all they end up like a family.

Sure that you may think that the main character is travelling thanks to magic and that he went to another world which isn't his. But I want to think of it as if it was all a dream, and non of what we could at first see after Ushio's birth happened.
Nov 12, 2011 5:02 PM

Sep 2011
My theory is that the ending is like that because the series, as a whole, is an allegory of life. Hardships are a plague which haunts the human spirit. No matter how happy and succesful you are, tragedy is right arround the corner. However, we should ask the question: if life is only suffering, then why do we live? What's the point?
Clannad After Story gives us a possible answer. Yes, life is not always fair. Yes, we all suffer at some point. But these experiences are what make us stronger. We should contemplate our suffering, and look for ways to avoid it in the future. Weak people regret their past, strong people learn from it. Tomoya learned to accept his suffering and move on, and he was deeply rewarded for it.
This series works beautifully because it's moral is realist. It doesn't put a coat of paint in reality and presents it the way it is. Painful, fragile, short... and beautiful.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Nov 13, 2011 4:54 PM

Aug 2011
Very nice theory indeed!

However, I couldn't take you seriously anymore after looking at your avatar :3
Nov 13, 2011 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
its more of a bittersweet since the time lines where nagisa and ushio die are still existant and they are both very much dead, made even worse by the fact in the other 2 time lines where he gets with ryou and tomoyo, tomoya still dies in both of them,

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 14, 2011 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
Indulg3 said:
Very nice theory indeed!

You shouldn't judge me because of my avatar. But yes, I admit it is kinda weird. Nevertheless, I have it because I believe it makes a huge contrast with how and what I write, and I think that that fact allows for a nice little effect.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Nov 14, 2011 4:43 PM

Aug 2011
ClaudeDante said:
Indulg3 said:
Very nice theory indeed!

You shouldn't judge me because of my avatar. But yes, I admit it is kinda weird. Nevertheless, I have it because I believe it makes a huge contrast with how and what I write, and I think that that fact allows for a nice little effect.

Well, I like it very much, and I did take you seriously.

But only after an outburst of laughter :D
Nov 17, 2011 1:05 PM

Sep 2011
technically tomoya does die in the 1st timeline, but its when he dies that he is sent to the illussionary world as the robot in which that is all destroyed and he goes back tot he 2nd timeline

though in the tomoyo timeline he sadly does just die and nothing else

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 17, 2011 1:23 PM

May 2011
My assumption is the anime follows the game.
In the Clannad: After Story game (must completed Clannad before advancing to After Story by collecting orbs), Nagisa and Ushio both dies, but you can choose to not let them die by collecting some orbs.

I think it's like alternate ending in which the game shows.
Jun 6, 2013 12:56 AM

Mar 2012
I don't really like that light orb explanation. My opinion is that it just happened in Okazaki's head. Maybe he caught the feeling from alternate world (you know maybe it is connected with that string theory which was mentioned) or he just imagined what could happen.
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Jun 6, 2013 12:58 AM

Jan 2013
iHitokage said:
I don't really like that light orb explanation. My opinion is that it just happened in Okazaki's head. Maybe he caught the feeling from alternate world (you know maybe it is connected with that string theory which was mentioned) or he just imagined what could happen.

Your opinion is wrong.
Dec 27, 2013 2:17 PM
Dec 2013
Well from what I get when Yamato went with his daughter to see his father to send him to see Yamato grandmother. There was a white light and the daughter saw it as it went into the fathers chest. So when Ushio got sick and died he wished real hard for his family. It was all sent back to the birth and he got his wish his hole family.
Dec 27, 2013 2:20 PM
Dec 2013
I also think its how that smart girl said there other worlds in this anime. So it can also be like the others were saying that the family is strong and healthy in another verse. So I guess it is how the watcher sees it and wants it to be in there hearts. LOL that sounds so corny but hey that's me.
Jan 22, 2014 11:01 AM

Dec 2010
Clannad has one of the most confusing endings I have ever seen.
Jan 13, 2015 6:04 PM
Jan 2015
The story line where Nagisa died giving birth really did happen...

But meanwhile in the storyline somewhere between episode 18 and 22 as i can recall.. Tomoya went to his dad's hous to thank him for all that he has done for him in his life and suggests to him that he should go to his mother.

When his dad walked down the street, Ushio was starring at Tomoya who were standing next to eachother, and saw a little light bulb comming down from the sky and eventually hitting Tomoya's back without him realizing it...

It has been said many tines during both 2 seasons of Clannad that once you catch or touch a light bulb like that... A wish will be granted.

Just like in the episode when we saw the history of the boys dorm mother and that cat in human form... He had a red sack where he claimed to have a light bulb in it to grant her a wish.

Because Tomoya touched the light bulb he got his wish granted which probably would have been something like "If only you were here Nagisa..." Or "I wish you didn't die and were here with Ushio and me", something like that.

And his wish came true.

Things i can exclude from possible theories:
- Dream
- Illusion
- Alternate reality/world

All of the above have the same reason:
During the storyline in which Nagisa died... Tomoya brought Ushio to school and found out that his past schoolmate Kyou was the teacher of Ushio, and that her pet boar was the school's pet etc...

After Ushio died in the snow outside at the end, and Tomoya was back holding Nagisa's hand while giving birth, there was a little story about Nagisa and Tomoya bringing Ushio to school like a family, and you could see that Kyou was still the teacher and the boar was still the pet...

Meaning, this could not have been a dream or illusion because he could not have known that she was a teacher at that school, since she never told him and he also looked shocked/surprised when he found out (when bringing Ushio to school).

Personally for me.. This is definatelly 100% excluded from possible theories, there is just no way he could have known those things if it was a dream.

Also things to mention: Fuka waking up from her coma, the stories Tomoya's grandmother told him about his father, and many more things i cant remember because it's 3AM when im writing this :)
Jan 13, 2015 6:06 PM
Jan 2015
Jason546 said:
Clannad has one of the most confusing endings I have ever seen.

It's not confusing at all if you follow it properly, it all makes sense and it's a great story!
Jun 20, 2015 8:19 AM
Jun 2015
the story is nice but the story needs few specifications like to correct the ending i have seen both the seasons and the film but i am really confused about the ending cause the film showed that nagisa died and tomao is living happily with ushiyo but the season show us that tomoyo out of fear of nagisa's death was dreaming so i don't really get which should i follow but i definitely prefer the the two season cause nagisa lived ........... and the story is awespme just a few specifications could have maked this anime far more better
Jun 21, 2015 2:25 AM

Jun 2015
Indulg3 said:

Thoughts?

I'm not to sure about it, Though the ending of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth (Metaphorically). I feel like they should of had, like, two episodes of how it plays out one good ending and another bad because I was so ready for the bad and now I feel like it should of ended on the bad note
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2016 11:59 AM
Feb 2016
lol i just dropped it nothing intresting coming i like the charachter sunohara always in a happy mood and so good but he will always ended up beaten and there are no sign that anyone care about her as his friend all of them just think him an idiot more then a friend i just hate it atleast give a sign that they will care about him too damn i am on 18th episode i just hate it the more i see clannad damn why i started to watchi it
May 11, 2016 1:36 AM

Oct 2015
Piotr_Gajdowski said:
The story line where Nagisa died giving birth really did happen...

But meanwhile in the storyline somewhere between episode 18 and 22 as i can recall.. Tomoya went to his dad's hous to thank him for all that he has done for him in his life and suggests to him that he should go to his mother.

When his dad walked down the street, Ushio was starring at Tomoya who were standing next to eachother, and saw a little light bulb comming down from the sky and eventually hitting Tomoya's back without him realizing it...

It has been said many tines during both 2 seasons of Clannad that once you catch or touch a light bulb like that... A wish will be granted.

Just like in the episode when we saw the history of the boys dorm mother and that cat in human form... He had a red sack where he claimed to have a light bulb in it to grant her a wish.

Because Tomoya touched the light bulb he got his wish granted which probably would have been something like "If only you were here Nagisa..." Or "I wish you didn't die and were here with Ushio and me", something like that.

And his wish came true.

Things i can exclude from possible theories:
- Dream
- Illusion
- Alternate reality/world

All of the above have the same reason:
During the storyline in which Nagisa died... Tomoya brought Ushio to school and found out that his past schoolmate Kyou was the teacher of Ushio, and that her pet boar was the school's pet etc...

After Ushio died in the snow outside at the end, and Tomoya was back holding Nagisa's hand while giving birth, there was a little story about Nagisa and Tomoya bringing Ushio to school like a family, and you could see that Kyou was still the teacher and the boar was still the pet...

Meaning, this could not have been a dream or illusion because he could not have known that she was a teacher at that school, since she never told him and he also looked shocked/surprised when he found out (when bringing Ushio to school).

Personally for me.. This is definatelly 100% excluded from possible theories, there is just no way he could have known those things if it was a dream.

Also things to mention: Fuka waking up from her coma, the stories Tomoya's grandmother told him about his father, and many more things i cant remember because it's 3AM when im writing this :)

/ This basically /

The world where ushio died is definitely real. A majority of the show involves conversations about how there are other worlds where other possibilities are possible. The anime is based on a visual novel with different routes all affected by a simple choice while at the same time talk of light orbs that grant wishes are talked about.

I think its more likely to except all endings happy and sad and ones where Tomoya and Nagisa meet or don't meet all happen but on different timelines all running along side one another meaning there is no true ending. I guess I am going to lose sleep over this ending (we are just going to have to be both happy and sad are characters are both alive and dead) wish there was one more episode.
Jan 10, 2017 8:51 AM

Sep 2016
Way too late but just in case someone still wants to know what happens when Ushio dies:

Tomoya wishes that Nagisa saves Ushio (and also that Nagisa had survived her birth although he didn't say it at that moment it's obvious) and then a light from the other world appears and his wish is granted.

Source: http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/195/what-happens-at-the-end-of-clannad-after-story/258#258
ZarutakuJan 13, 2017 6:16 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 25, 2017 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
Some of the people here were right, the AS ending is a complicated one, even I am still puzzled about the ending and the whole thing about the "orbs grant a wish thingy"

still rating is 9/10 for Clannad
May 25, 2017 10:56 AM
May 2017
I had another weird thought about the story behind all this. I think, that Nagisa and Ushio didn't die, and Tomoya just had that "dream" for a short time: What would happen to our lives if Nagisa died?

But another weird thought is:
Imagine your parents never met each other. What would happen to you?
If Tomoya didn't mind Nagisa at their way to school, they maybe would never get that good with eachother. Indeed, they wouldn't got a baby..
You are alive because your parents talked to each other. Just imagine they never did. For me, it's so weird just to think about it.. :P What do you think? c:
May 25, 2017 11:54 AM

Aug 2016
Ending would have been better if they left the anime with the tragic ending instead of making it seem like he just imagined/dreamed it.

Seems like a cop out to try and appeal those that want a happy ending.
May 26, 2017 7:11 AM

May 2017
I found some things interesting about this story, like how Nagisa and Tomoya both have memories or knowledge of the illusionary world when they first met in the old world. I can't say for sure if they remembered it before they met, but if they remembered it after they met then it makes sense. It implies that Ushio has sent them back to this point in time before...however, since at this time they don't remember meeting each other and dating and marrying, then I'm not sure that theory holds true. Having read what the game was about, I guess Tomoya could have let her walk away previously to help the other girls with their story arcs and collect more orbs, but I'm not sure how Ushio could exist without having first met Nagisa.

When Ushio returned Tomoya to the point in time when he met Nagisa, I liked how they were both aware they had been here before, of their previous lives, and the significance of their actions in this single frame of time. To me this means more than just simply reversing time.

Finally I liked how Ushio's desperate walk to make it to the place she wanted to go with her dad mirrored the desperate walk Robot Tomoyo was making to take Illusionary Ushio away from that world. When winter comes she stops moving, almost as if she stops when the real Ushio dies. That's when she has the dream and realizes Tomoyos wishes.

There's more I'm sure but I'd probably have to watch it a few more times to pick up on it, but I feel like even without the game the anime probably did enough to tie the real world to the illusionary world.

I was very happy with the ending. For those of you who would have rather it remained a tragedy, you can always look at it as in one reality, they all die, but in another they live happily ever after. We all get to have our cake and eat it too.

Or you know...stop watching after episode 21 :)

Aug 19, 2017 1:38 AM

Nov 2016
This video makes it so much easier to explain and shows that AS had a great ending
Sep 1, 2017 11:46 PM
Sep 2017
I think he did his family back,the orbs that are talked about and showed through out the whole story said to give u a wish he sees multiple orbs through the story which shows he got his wish in other words the people who made clannad would not put magical orbs in the anime for no fucking there is big part were missing

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

727 by -45- »»
May 4, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

OurSocialStatus - Mar 26, 2009

323 by Bruh69XD »»
May 2, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1169 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 5:37 PM

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

5 by lycan_ »»
Apr 30, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.