No. 6
Available on Manga Store
New
What is dogkeeper's gender?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 10, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2010
Heiwajima_Mayu said:
I think it's a female... at first I thought and I always had that feeling... And when that guy licked him/her, he/she was really bothered, and than Sion said something like: 'Inukashi, you are...' and I had a feeling he was going to say 'a girl' xD I don't know why xD
Plus, in the scene with the baby, he/she really seemed like a girl xD
But we can't know for sure xD

Yup, during that scene with the baby, when she holds him, you can see her cleavage.
Sep 11, 2011 7:14 AM

Oct 2009
The dogkeeper is female.

It makes it even more obvious with the baby scene, and how she reacts to being called "Mama"

and ofcourse this:
SoraKuro said:

Yup, during that scene with the baby, when she holds him, you can see her cleavage.
Sep 15, 2011 9:44 AM

Nov 2007
Female I think... A tomboyish female. (or Just a guy who looks like a girl?)

I don't know but I still mostly think Inukashi is a tomboyish female.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 16, 2011 12:14 PM
Nov 2010
I think Dogkeeper is a girl, who wants to be looked apon as a boy.

(In the anime, with the baby scene, where she's called "Mama", and when Sion hugs her he can feel it, I think.)

Besides... you can see it in some angles...
Sep 16, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2011
in episode 9 after the dogkeeper was used to seduce that man...she/he was washing herself when she had a moment with Shion. When shion touched her...he realised something and said 'You're a..." then they were interrupted before he could finish the sentance.

what was he going to say?! i don't get that part :/

was that the moment when shion realised she was a he or something? or does it has a completely different meaning?

EDIT: oh i just noticed that also in that scene (when the dogkeeper snapped at the politician), the politician says "what is this?", and then the pimp (can't remember his name right now) says "a young girl doesn't look much different from a boy"

That makes it pretty clear that the dogkeeper is a boy, i recon :/
pennyiscuteSep 16, 2011 9:44 PM
Sep 19, 2011 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
my first impression was that she/he was a girl, but that was purely because of the long hair. after a while, i changed my mind and thought, hmm, maybe its a guy. but then all the hints seemed to point towards girl, such as shion's "you're a...!" - i cant see that sentence ending any other way than "girl".

Then again, i dont believe that any girl could have a chest quite that flat - its just biology. on the other hand, she might be a prepubescent girl...? I cant remember if we're given his/her age.

well, we might have to rely on some Word of God eventually coming out about this. alternatively, it may be up to us to just decide for ourselves what we want to think xD
Sep 19, 2011 3:09 PM

Aug 2011
In episode 9 I’m sure I remember Rikiga saying that young girls and boys are hard to tell apart when the person in the wig was revealed to be Inukashi. (Inukashi was disguised as a girl; therefore they assume that Inukashi is ‘male’ and easily mistaken for a girl the due to their young age). Therefore the cast (including Sion) assume that Inukashi is male. When Sion makes a surprised comment about what can only be Inukashi‘s gender then it’s fair to assume that Sion finds out that his assumption is false. As he assumed Inukashi to be male, Inukashi must therefore be a female.

Besides, I can’t see Sion knowingly putting a young girl within reach of a pervy old man, even if there’s help nearby. Of course we can’t forget Inukashi’s outraged reaction which would be pretty typical of an ‘empowered’ young girl being made to feel helpless. Also, there’s that scene with the baby when Inukashi has an embarrassed fit because it thinks she’s his mother. I think Inukashi’s gender was the series worst kept secret until Sion’s revelation.

Of course, with the BL element of the show, a more comical interpretation could be that Inukashi is the only straight male member of the cast and his reaction to the informant’s actions was because he’s highly homophobic. Sion’s revelation in that case would be “Inukashi, you’re actually straight!”
Sep 20, 2011 7:55 PM
Sep 2011
hey im up to date on the anime ( wich lol didnt take long) and i remember when sion said "why is he so angry" or something like that when Rat spoke of dogkeepers mother. then a few episodes later. during a plan that rat the bald guy and dogkeeper made some weird pedo NO.6 offical licked dogkeeper and dogkeeper freaked out afterwards when sion was holding dogkeeper he touched her shoulder and said "Your a ......" .....now im just assuming here but common sense says that sion felt how soft dogkeeper was and realized he was a she...im not saying that girls are soft or any thing please dont take offence im learning about medicine and anatomy at a colledge level so its brought to my attention that most women/female/girls have less upper body muscle length then men i dont know why, blame evolution/God but it is so. this is why the female species is so soft to the touch i belive it has something to do with the ammount of testosterone wemon have as apposed to the male species

lol quite frankly its kinnda nice it makes them comfertable to hold lol
Sep 20, 2011 7:57 PM

Apr 2010
a girl though i do agree that inukashi seems to have been left pretty ambigous as to their gender, on a side.... she's probably my favorite character in the show...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 20, 2011 9:42 PM

May 2011
Were we supposed to think Dogkeeper was a dude at first? o.0

...Whoops.
Sep 29, 2011 10:29 AM

Aug 2007
Forest-kun said:
Were we supposed to think Dogkeeper was a dude at first? o.0

...Whoops.
This. Exactly.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 29, 2011 1:55 PM

Jul 2009
Rei-chan said:
DesolateOne said:
Ninoyari said:
He's obviously a guy... he talks saying ''ore''.. masculine version of ''I''.
Nobody noticed that?? I could tell from the first time he started to talk...

A lot of girls in anime use words meant for boys, including "Ore".

No they don't. Ore unlike boku is a male only personal pronoun and it's not commonly used in anime at all.

if you want to know, Shiba Kuukaku, from Bleach is a female and used 'ore' as well
Our Dreams are the portals to see the future, our memories won't let us remember, but our bodies will
Sep 29, 2011 2:01 PM

Jul 2009
i've read somewhere in another forum, that Shion/Sion stumbles upon Inukashi, and discovers his/her gender...

anyhow, i go for female, and a badass tomboyish at that!!
badass tomboyish girls FTW!
Our Dreams are the portals to see the future, our memories won't let us remember, but our bodies will
Dec 1, 2011 3:50 AM
Dec 2011
I had to step in for a moment because as a non-binary person these kinds of debates in anime discussions always grind my gears.

Dogkeeper has always been female. A tough, gutsy female sure, but survival is very important to her as she's shown us several times. And in order to do that she can't act like a dainty, frail, submissive woman some of you may expect from a female character. That's just not an option for her considering her living circumstances. Much like Nezumi, she needs to have a rough outer shell in order to survive outside of No. 6.

Now, the thing about these discussion seems to be that people are actually debating the persons /sex/ (male/female) rather than their /gender/ (boy/girl). Inukashi seems to present herself as a girl to me. She has long hair and a mothering streak when the time comes for it, and she doesn't seem to identify alongside the rest of the boy characters.

Whether Dogkeeper is a transgirl or not doesn't matter. Transgendered girls are still girls.

ORRRR. I also put my foot in my mouth here and say that it could be that Dogkeeper prefers to present as agendered or bigendered. We really don't know. That too is a possibility, considering she was raised by dogs and never introduced to gender roles during child growth and development. Who's to say? Dogkeeper is Dogkeeper -- which is a huge whopping can of kickass.
Dec 3, 2011 11:25 PM

Nov 2011
its puzzling how some people can be so confused about genders :)) you can see her boobs shaping through the clothes, plus the scene where she's washing her neck... that's totally a girl thing, not to mention she is covering her boobs. She was raised by dogs so yeah, she can't really pose to be a delicate flower... except this once scene along with the baby one.
Dec 19, 2011 11:10 AM

Dec 2011
I honestly believe Inukashi is a girl, but that everyone in the town thinks she is a boy or kind of "forget" she's a female because of her bluntness. Then when she had that breakdown when the man licked her neck and Shion huged her, I think he finally realized that and was going to say "You're a girl".

But anyway, I don't think her gender matters so much, that's why it's left implict. She would still be my favorite character if I tended to believe she's a boy.
Dec 19, 2011 11:12 AM

Dec 2011
Izumi_Shinju_27 said:
Rei-chan said:
DesolateOne said:
Ninoyari said:

A lot of girls in anime use words meant for boys, including "Ore".

No they don't. Ore unlike boku is a male only personal pronoun and it's not commonly used in anime at all.

if you want to know, Shiba Kuukaku, from Bleach is a female and used 'ore' as well

Yes. And so did Tomonori from Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?
Jan 8, 2012 6:16 PM

Feb 2011
the dogkeeper is a dude, they refer to Inukashi as a "he" in his profile..
Jan 15, 2012 7:06 PM
Jan 2012
Just because some one has a flat chest doesn't mean they can't be a girl, have you never seen an olympic swimmer, it's all muscle and no breast
Jan 18, 2012 6:59 AM
Jan 2012
At first i was lenient to go either way, but around episode 6 Sion says 'he' in the subs, so i was like okay maybe it's a guy, but i wasn't sure because people have been known to mess up the subtitles. Later on in the show when the Dog-keeper was crying and hugged Sion, Sion said "You're a ..." was he going to say girl? I think so, because later when he finds the baby, he wraps it up and sends it to her, because she is female it would be a natural instinct to know how to take care of it.

I mean i could be wrong, but this is how i interpenetrated what information they provided on the matter.
Jan 18, 2012 7:02 AM
Jan 2012
pennyiscute said:
in episode 9 after the dogkeeper was used to seduce that man...she/he was washing herself when she had a moment with Shion. When shion touched her...he realised something and said 'You're a..." then they were interrupted before he could finish the sentance.

what was he going to say?! i don't get that part :/

was that the moment when shion realised she was a he or something? or does it has a completely different meaning?

EDIT: oh i just noticed that also in that scene (when the dogkeeper snapped at the politician), the politician says "what is this?", and then the pimp (can't remember his name right now) says "a young girl doesn't look much different from a boy"

That makes it pretty clear that the dogkeeper is a boy, i recon :/

Yeah, but if she wanted to make them think she was a boy to seem tougher, to survive in there world, she wouldn't of told them she was a girl.
This is just my opinion of course.
Jan 18, 2012 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
I didn't know that Dogkeeper was treated as male by other characters. From beginning, I am convinced enough that Dogkeeper is a female. This is based on her body shape and voice.

The use of "ore" as "I" is common to be used by tomboy girl. In Japanese the language is structured into most polite to rude. So "Ore" is the "rude" one, more selfish to refer "I", in my opinion. Also, as they are living in harsh area, it's understood that they would use rude language. it is also understood if she hide her gender and let others assumed her as male.

Episode 9 or 10 also confirm Dogkeeper as a female. It was simply because:

1. I don't correctly remember what Rikiga said, either "a young girl doesn't look much different from a boy" or "a young boy doesn't look much different from a girl", but my impression was Rikiga is mistaken Dogkeeper as a male. Though he seems pimping girls, it is possible that the politician was actually request for male. It is a possibility, because the anime itself has a tiny explicit yaoi-ness.. :D
2. When Sion touched her, he exactly realize she was actually female.
3. Wikipedia stated Dogkeeper as a female if I don't mistake it.
4. http://no6.wikia.com/wiki/Inukashi confirmed Dogkeeper as female, especially the Trivia part.
5. When she received the baby from Rikiga, the baby sensed Dogkeeper as a female by calling her "mama". even that in beginning she didn't know what to do, when the baby calmed on her lap, she smiled. This is the most prove that she has motherhood sense.

so that's my opinion. :D
j-mAdness for anime, j-dorama, j-movie music sheets and more goodies!
Looking for Japanese stuff? Go j-mAdness store
Jan 18, 2012 12:56 PM

Sep 2010
mitayashi said:

so that's my opinion. :D

When you have facts on your side then it stops being just opinion and turns into the truth.

Dec 7, 2012 11:43 AM

Sep 2009
Lol. Everyone shouldn't be confused. She's GIRL in the first place. I just don't get it why people got confused of her gender. HAHA. :D
Jul 7, 2013 7:36 PM
Apr 2013
I'm leaning more for boy. Don't you remember episode (I think 9) Dogkeeper was wearing the blonde wig and "she" was going into the plan of pretending to be a prostitute for that old man, then "she/he" started crying in Shion's arms and Shion put his hand on his shoulders and said "You're a-" with a shocked face and then Nezumi and the other dude came out and interrupted his sentence. So i'm not sure...
Jul 13, 2013 1:16 AM
May 2013
AkatsukiNinja said:
I'm leaning more for boy. Don't you remember episode (I think 9) Dogkeeper was wearing the blonde wig and "she" was going into the plan of pretending to be a prostitute for that old man, then "she/he" started crying in Shion's arms and Shion put his hand on his shoulders and said "You're a-" with a shocked face and then Nezumi and the other dude came out and interrupted his sentence. So i'm not sure...

Little shion calls her mama in the anime
Aug 30, 2013 1:35 AM
Aug 2013
Inukashi is obviously a girl. It's been so obvious from the start. They tried so hard to make her look and act like a guy, but her posture, mindset and body shape were those of a female's. Also her age isn't really specified. But seeing as how mature and knowledgeable she is, she seems like she is a lot older than we think. Even the most mature kids naturally aren't as strategic or cunning as adults are, unless you're an immortal being like Czeslaw Meyer from Baccano. No other character, even Rikiga really knows she's a girl, but when Shion is hugged by Inukashi in both the original novel and the anime, it is heavily implied that he realizes she is a girl, especially through the novels line where Shion thought that her shoulders were soft and round like Safu's shoulders and not muscular like a male's. Besides no guy would cry from getting harassed by an old man. I would be pissed if I were a dude. So this already tells you that she's a girl and is sensitive and fearful of getting touched like that. Also the way she takes care of the baby, how gentle she is with it, and how the baby says MAMA kinda proves the point too.
Dec 31, 2013 6:07 PM

Oct 2013
It's a girl.
Please realize that in one of the episodes Dogkeeper runs to wash her neck and then while crying she hugs Shion and then he grabs her shoulder and says "You're a-" and then hes cut off. In another episode the baby in the series calls Dogkeeper "Mama," Dogkeeper tries to cover this by calling the dog the babies Mama. And also she is while thought to be a boy mistaken for a girl by a man from No. 6. So therefore this alone should tell you that Dogkeeper is a girl.
Urara
Dec 31, 2013 6:08 PM

Oct 2013
Ninoyari said:
Um hello maybe thats part of her act?
Urara
Jan 4, 2014 3:52 PM
Jun 2013
I will say female. What mainly points me toward this is when they were luring in the No. 6 official and he was groping dogkeeper. After the incident and Shion is talking to her she said some things along the lines of I was trying not to scream for you guys to come out then she approached Shion with her head down as he grabbed her shoulders and said. "Dogkeeper, you're a ..." This paragraph is probably a mess grammatically but I think I got the point across.

I think the Shion wouldn't have gone through with this plot if he thought that Dogkeeper was a woman due to the type of good willed character he is and when he said the "You're a.." line there was a shocked look on his face.
Jul 24, 2015 5:31 PM
May 2015
oh ffs @ cis people cant u just fuckin stop with your gender bs???? Inukashi is non-binary. You know there are more than two genders in the world right?? Even the wiki says so! They're neither a boy or a girl just accept it.
Jul 29, 2015 2:06 AM
Jun 2015
I think that the dogkeeper is male but I hope that they are female.

I think that dogkeeper is male, becuase when he/she leans onto Sion, he's like: "Wait, are you..." He is then cut off from finishing his sentence. Also, inukashi has a very male voice, like a young boy's voice.
On the other hand, Inukashi looks like a female and their body is very womanly.
Sep 3, 2015 3:29 PM

Sep 2014
when I read the manga I first thought Dogkeeper was a boy with long hair lol

but funny how no one mentioned that Dogkeeper wrapped that towel around her whole body - if she was a boy wouldn't she just wrap that around her bottom half then? That was the most obvious scene imo

also, in another episode you can see her boobs on a side profile
sunsetoceanSep 3, 2015 3:34 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 5, 2015 5:56 AM

Aug 2013
Dogkeeper looks like a girl to me. She dresses like a girl too.
Jan 1, 2016 6:05 PM
Jan 2016
I think Inukashi is a male because in episode 9 of the anime, someone i can't remember the name of, said "A young girl doesn't look much different from a young boy." indicating that Inukashi is a male. In the episode they try to trick a man into thinking Inukashi is a female because they don't have the right resources at hand, such as a young girl with Inukashi's body type which the man prefers to other female body types.
Apr 30, 2016 1:37 PM

Jul 2014
I always thought Dogkeeper was a girl.

Then that scene where she pretended to be a whore happened and Rikiga said she was a boy I was like "wtf?" but then she was really shaken up by it. It was when Sion put his hands on her shoulders while she was shaking, I always figured that what he was about to tell her was "You're a girl?" if they weren't interrupted.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 19, 2016 5:13 AM
Dec 2016
I think girl, my reason is that when DogKeeper is crying in front of Shion, Shion places his hands on DogKeepers shoulders and is surprised for some reason and says "you're a..." however he doesn't finish the sentence and I'm not sure what he is trying to say. To me it feels like he was going to say "you're a girl" but idk if what he says is more explicit in the manga so I may be completely wrong.
Jan 4, 2017 5:17 PM
Jan 2017
We're led to believe Dogkeeper is a girl, in the beginning at least, but in episode 9 "The Reason" after they use Dogkeeper as bait for the No. 6 Top Health Bureau Official, Shion is comforting a crying Dogkeeper and when he embraces Dogkeeper he says "oh, you're a..." BOY!! Dogkeeper is definitely a male with a slightly feminine aura and long hair... The fact that so many us question what his gender is, and think he could be a guy should tell you something right off the bat!
I mean, look at Rat - we knows he's a guy, but could still be easily be mistaken as a girl, as it's mentioned more than once in the series. Which is ironic, since he's supposed to be the man in his relationship with Shion, but that's a whole other topic.
PchrzanoJan 4, 2017 5:25 PM
Jun 28, 2019 11:35 PM
Jun 2019
When Sion squeezed Dogkeeper's shoulders, I thought he was going to say "You're a robot?" lmaoo. It doesn't seem that unbelievable. I was waiting for that moment.

Also, Dogkeeper is apparently 12 years old, so if they were female, then that's most likely why their gender gets confused. Most likely, they're just underdeveloped and don't mind masc. pronouns used.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » No.6 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

432 by Tacticianrt »»
Mar 25, 10:03 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 11, 2011

166 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 28, 2011

174 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 20, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 21, 2011

120 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 14, 2011

161 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 17, 2023 2:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.