Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2011 5:49 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow... that was actually really good for being a special. The judo matches were pretty exciting to watch. I'm still surprised Jody made it to the final instead of the soviet lady (Tele something) since she beat Jody pretty well two times before that. Unless Yawara had fought before the final match, but they never showed or told us anything about it. Also Matsuba and Yawara finally confess to each other... Sure took them long enough!
Sep 18, 2013 8:50 AM

Aug 2011
I was pretty annoyed with how they changed some of the situations and reused bits and pieces from the television series in the beginning. But about halfway through they resolved all of that and focused on the new material, allowing the special to really pick up.

Probably would've given this a 5/10, considering how little development Kojiro and his disciple were given in this. If the series had just continued another 12 episodes so that it could thoroughly cover this arc, too, it would have been so much better done.

Still, I waited 124 episodes and two movies for Matsuda and Yawara to finally confess their love to one another, and the whole last half hour was done very well, so it'll barely scrape by with a 7/10 from me.

Good, but not as good as it really should have been.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
May 23, 2014 8:04 PM
Oct 2010
spineslayer said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm still surprised Jody made it to the final instead of the soviet lady (Tele something) since she beat Jody pretty well two times before that. Unless Yawara had fought before the final match, but they never showed or told us anything about it.

It might be late to answer that...but I just watched and we see Sudoh watching Yawara on TV, and this is when she beats Teleshkova (or something).

Otherwise, I was annoyed for a while about how they used the same plot device than so many times before...with Matsuda being late for some reason, thus maybe getting Yawara all anxious...but the matches were fun to watch and it was a good special that I would recommend to anyone who completed the serie and want to see more of Yawara !
Sep 16, 2014 6:40 AM
Dec 2011
ahaa...... MATSUDA finally said it "i love you" and YAWARA said "me too i loved you for a long time" and they HUG ! yes yes yes yes yes how long i waited to hear that and it was worth every minute. i love matsuda he is a great guy i so happy they are together forever :3 MATSUDA+YAWARA=cutest couple :3
Jan 28, 2017 6:19 PM

May 2008
;_; Manly tears. It took me 2 years to finish this, since twitch come out I've haven't watch many series, but I'm glad I'm back watching anime again.
Mar 4, 2017 3:05 PM

Jun 2013
Wait. And Barcelona? What happened there? Did Yawara win any medals?

Kuniko was always a snake. The worst kind of woman. Finally she was honest now.

The cover of this special has a huge spoiler with Sayaka and Kazamatsuri married. They didn't have to be on the cover like that.
Jul 27, 2017 1:52 PM
Oct 2016
OMG MATSUDA IS SOOOOO FUCKING SHIEEET, THIS WHOLE STORY THO
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
BUT I AM HAPPY, MATSUDA ACTUALLY CONFESS HIS FEELING
Nov 5, 2017 12:21 PM
Aug 2014
So everyone was transported roughly 4 years into the future with the end of the show cut off? As a result most of the show was a repetition of what happened so often in the anime.

And they weren't my favourite parts. Apart from the Jody match( they even cut the Teleshikova match to make room for Matsuda and Kuniko's "adventure"), I didn't care for this poor excuse for a romantic comedy special at all.
Dec 22, 2017 3:34 AM

Feb 2013
I gave it a 5/10 for the confession.
Wtf happened to Barcelona?
And the fights were rushed, too rushed, we didn't see anything.
Matsuda should have left Kuniko drown.
Lol, and Kazamatsuri proposed just before her match, that guy is and was lame from the start.
Mar 30, 2018 10:47 AM

Jul 2011
"Barcelona -92" -> "Atlanta -96", what in the world?

Many things made me happy about this special, such as Kuniko being finally honest to Yawara, and Kazamatsuri finally got married to Sayaka :D

Confession were quite lame in the end, but still for some reason, I did respect that. It was long way, but you still were together after these years, and judoka and reporter :)

Isn't there more to see, dang I wanted see they grow old together :(

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Dec 8, 2018 6:20 PM
Jul 2017
Fuku-chan is definitely not 4 and a half years old. The only way to handle this is to imagine that this was the olympics they were preparing for in the TV series.

It could have been better. I think Kazamatsuri-san and Kuniko-san should have ended up together, for starts. It would have been nice to see the results of Sudou-san's sushi. And maybe a montage of all her old friends (like the Mitsuba teammates and the Tsurukame coworkers) watching her matches. But it was an acceptable conclusion. You always knew Ojiichan was going to get her that gold medal, not to mention the national achievement award jya.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Dec 14, 2018 6:52 PM

Dec 2007
The movie was released in 1996, so it made sense to have the setting be the Atlanta Olympics that year rather than the Barcelona Olympics 4 years earlier. Otherwise everyone was the same age as they were when the TV series left off.

The story pretty much followed what was in the manga, except they switched out Barcelona for Atlanta.
Mar 20, 2019 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
Matsuda is such a worthless retard but it was obvious as fuck they would end up together eventually because the only other potential love interest was Kazamatsuri and that wasn't happening. Not to mention everybody was constantly talking as if the two were already fucking married. Complete ass. The retarded romance made this show/movie way worse than it could have been.

On another note, Marceau (the blonde girl who Yawara fought in this movie) was actually really cool and they should have just made her the main focus of the movie. Not only is she the first cute Judoka in this series other than Yawara who's actually competent but she actually enjoys playing and seemed really happy just to have a chance to fight Yawara, win or lose. I definitely would have enjoyed seeing more of her. Oh and they did Teleshikova's rematch off screen because the Matsuda drama is so much more important. Just lol. Fuck Matsuda and anybody who actually likes him. One of the worst characters I've seen in my 209 days of anime watching.

Jan 21, 2021 5:32 PM

Aug 2008
I couldn't find this subtitled so I am not 100% on everything so perhaps it isn't surprising I'm a bit confused. The Atlanta Olympics? What happened in Barcelona? 4 years have gone by and everything seems to be pretty much the same as it was? Yawara and Matsuda were in the same place in their relationship for that long? Really? Its great to see what I'm guessing was a confession (he isn't moving away to America now or some dumb thing now is he?) but absurd that its only happening now. Is that the same baby Yawaras friend has? 4 years old? What?

Many of these supporting characters could have used some love as well this really should have had more episodes then one little movie.

Really wish I could have seen this with english subs... ah well.
Apr 14, 2021 10:20 PM

Jul 2013
Haha cool how they made the Olympics in Atlanta instead, since they released this when the Olympics were being held in Atlanta irl

Agh can't believe that Kaga woman made Matsuda miss so many of Yawara's matches at the OLYMPICS! Pulling off a GTA in a foreign country and almost getting herself killed just for Matsuda's attention - I always thought she was crazy, but now she's high-key psycho! -__-
Matsuda is way too kind for his own good. Thank gawd he finally shot her down, tho very generous, the way he did it. Glad that Kaga woman at least fessed up to Yawara about her lies tho

Haha the boys from their high school judo club changed so much, was nice to see them again

Wish we saw Yawara and her dad reunite...
Also Kazamatsuri actin like a kazamidori again, thought he realized he loves Sayaka in Ep. 124, even kissed her twice already 😅

But YESSSS Matsuda and Yawara finally confessed to each other, wahhh I wanted to see their relationship develop more, they're so cute together! 😭♥ Gonna miss them! Wish there were more episodes! Guess it's time to look for the manga...

Man, the BGM in this special was really nice btw
NinjinAiApr 14, 2021 10:29 PM
Jun 25, 2021 10:16 AM
Jun 2014
"Today's another day".... beautiful...

This was kinda rushed but still nice to get that ending. Anime ended at 278th chapter, so there were 53 more chapters. They could have done 150 episodes, which would have allowed them to finish the whole thing nicely. Dunno what happened, maybe anime caught up with the manga...

They crammed almost 35 chapters in this... and skipped (and changed) a bunch of stuff including the Teleshikova vs Yawara match in which they shared a nice moment after Yawara won. Yawara also had a very nice moment with Matsuda before the Teleshikova match, where she got emotional and remembered all the shared moments with him... That nice taxi driver also showed up again yelling "Go Go! Yawara!" and reunited with Matsuda!

@NinjinAi Yawara and her dad did reunite for few moments in the manga when he finally showed his face to her after she defeated Marceau, but anime cut it. They could have easily included it instead of any number of useless scenes, cause it's a pretty short scene. It'd been nice to see Yawara getting that little bit of closure...
Jun 16, 2022 8:17 AM
Sep 2016
This movie basically destroyed all that carefully done buildup of the tv series. Rushed moments, off screen lazy fights, reuse of previous plot points, little to no monologues, characters' behaving in unbecoming ways - it destroyed all the hype for me.

3/10 only cuz I can't give a Urasawa manga adaptation a 1/10.
nazsaJun 16, 2022 8:21 AM
Oct 29, 2022 12:22 AM
Apr 2016
YES YES FUCKING YES 124 EPISODES AND 2 MOVIES LATER FUCKING FIANLLKY
Nov 23, 2022 11:27 AM

Dec 2021
Can't believe I forgot the post something here after I finished the movie a good while ago. Holy shit, I fucking loved this! That end scene, that was so fucking cathartic was seeing the two finally reciprocate their love for each other. Just like the TV series, this gets a 10 out of 10, super easily. The only thing that sucks is they somewhat undid Shinosuke's romantic moment with Sayaka from the end of the TV series for the sake of comedy. Oh well, at least the comedic moments were still funny.

Now if only I could've figured out why the hell THIS doesn't count as a movie, yet the 40 minute disappointment DID get the label of being a movie.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.