Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (25) « First ... « 23 24 [25]
Nov 15, 2022 6:12 AM
Aug 2022
I very liked but the end was very confusing.
Dec 8, 2022 11:27 PM
Dec 2022
amazing made me cry my ass off
Dec 10, 2022 7:44 AM
Dec 2020
A fantastic way to end this show.
Jan 1, 2023 7:47 PM
May 2014
What is everyone's thoughts on if Menma's family was there at the end along with everyone else? I feel like it would hit so much harder than it already did especially if her mom was there. Either way it was a very good ending to the show and I recommend to anyone who likes a good cry.
Jan 2, 2023 2:20 AM
Jan 2023
Fucking tearjerker
Jan 12, 2023 6:09 AM

Jul 2022
Ha pesar de que no recordaba nada, recuerdo perfectamente que no lloré en ese entonces. Pero ahora... 8:03 am llorando como pocas veces lo he hecho

Jan 16, 2023 2:03 PM
Sep 2022
This broke something inside of me.
Jan 17, 2023 7:02 AM
Apr 2021
Might make one cry, was a beautiful anime!
Jan 20, 2023 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
They nailed the ending pretty well with the emotions , but I still dont understand how they can see her at the end. Nontheless, I liked it 

8/10
Feb 12, 2023 5:45 PM
Apr 2019
Yes just yes T.T..
Feb 21, 2023 2:22 PM

Feb 2019
I loved the ending. Now I have to watch the movie too.
Feb 22, 2023 1:20 PM
Dec 2012
From the start I knew exactly how this anime would end and yet I still sobbed like a stupid baby
Mar 2, 2023 7:27 PM

Jun 2020
who_dat_ninja said:
JusticeSoulTuna said:
I couldn't cry for this one cause I feel like the characters themselves did all the crying, haha.
I agree, all the crying in the show (but mostly this episode) felt really forced. Especially in the final scenes it was almost comical with all the yelling and over the top crying. I just didn't feel it. Maybe because i dont see what's so amazing about Menma. She's cute and sweet, but they treat her like she's the freaking second coming!

Though I did get teary eyed when Poppo started crying (we've never seen him so sad) and when the kids were picking up pieces of the diary was touching. This of course is followed up by all of them seeing Menma now for some unexplained reason followed by more OTP yelling and bawling. Subtlety is a valuable tool: USE IT
Ehh, I guess it's all up to how much melodrama you can take seriously.

With that said, i did like this series a lot. It had some nice scenes of nostalgia with old friends who drifted apart coming together again to solve this one mystery. Very nice! Though after finding out what the wish REALLY was, i'd rather pretend the rocket being the TRUE wish...

8/10

I get what you mean with the over the top crying, When it comes to tearjerking, less is more. Sad anime in general unfortunately tends towards Victorian-style hammy OTT melodrama ala Clannad. Most I've ever cried at a fictional medium was a crusty stiff-upper-lip Royal Navy captain saying "It's alright old girl, No one can hurt us anymore" as he goes down with the ship he commanded through 25 years and 2 wars... Just 10 words is all it took. If he'd spend three pages bawling and thinking of the crewmates he lost and the angels in heaven it wouldn't have been half as sad.

Imagine if instead of the hide and seek and the last-minute appearance, Jintan had given up on the hide and seek and come to find an empty secret base, with nothing but the letters on the table and "I played with everyone at the secret base again. It was fun!" written on the last page of her diary. Just writing that made me cry more than the actual ending lol.

I did think the characters were really well-observed and they developed really well. Yukiatsu and Yadomi in particular felt like they acted realistically in the aftermath of a traumatic death. They felt real, wheich is a rare thing in anime.

Overall I'd say an 8/10. Episode 10 was near-perfect, it's a real shame they didn't know when enough was enough in the last episode. The scene at the shrine went on too long imo and everyone bursting out their confessions and at once felt contrived and info-dumpy in stark contrast to the preceding 10 epidodes where we slowly learned about the characters' feelings about Menma and eachother through their interactions as friends and private reminiscences. The chanting was really weird but everyone seeing Menma was bittersweet, and I disagree with the others who said it was random. Yadomi saw Menma because he needed to in order to fulfil Menma's wish, which was essentially to get his shit together and deal with his emotions. The others dealt with it far better than Yadomi, if Menma never reappeared they would still have led full lives. But what they did need was to say goodbye to Menma, to get some proper closure and get rid of that nagging guilt that was building invisible walls stopping tham from truly reconnecting and forgiving themselves and eachother.

Still cried tho.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Mar 5, 2023 4:27 AM
Sep 2021
love this anime so much
Apr 4, 2023 11:56 PM
May 2021
IT WAS 10/10 CRINGEEEE WHAT THE GOOFYYYY
Apr 12, 2023 1:29 PM
Sep 2022
LA FIN EST TELLEMENT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JE CHIAAAAAAAALE C'EST INCROYABLE
Apr 13, 2023 8:42 PM
Jul 2021
Shi made me cry my eyes out
Apr 22, 2023 2:27 AM
Sep 2021
Gives me stress and joy
Apr 25, 2023 6:30 AM
Sep 2018
very nice. very nice.
May 6, 2023 8:53 PM
Apr 2023
The Story, characters once you finish the series half way it would make a connection with you
Jun 4, 2023 6:38 AM
Nov 2016
muito bom, mesmo.
Jun 18, 2023 7:00 PM

Apr 2020
I thought it was cringe
water
Jul 23, 2023 8:40 AM
Aug 2020
My peak of depression
Jul 27, 2023 8:27 AM
May 2023
The ending :(
this makes me so sad and how she left the little letters for everyone
I wish they could all be happy together and she wouldn't have had to disappear but i also know it was best for her.
I wanna give them all a big hug
(help cuz why do i wanna sob my heart out)
AND HOW SHE SAID "this time i get to properly say goodbye"
gotta go watch the movie too now after watching this
It was meh at the beginning but at the very end it like ripped my heart out and was so good
AND THEY ALL GOT TO SEE HER TOO LIKE THAT PART WAS SO HEART WRENCHING
Jul 27, 2023 8:28 AM
May 2023
The ending :(
this makes me so sad and how she left the little letters for everyone
I wish they could all be happy together and she wouldn't have had to disappear but i also know it was best for her.
I wanna give them all a big hug
(help cuz why do i wanna sob my heart out)
AND HOW SHE SAID "this time i get to properly say goodbye"
gotta go watch the movie too now after watching this
It was meh at the beginning but at the very end it like ripped my heart out and was so good
AND THEY ALL GOT TO SEE HER TOO LIKE THAT PART WAS SO HEART WRENCHING
Aug 13, 2023 11:09 PM
Nov 2015
Completed it long time ago! Just updating my list!
Aug 15, 2023 5:06 AM
Jul 2023
The Amount Of Tears This Anime Made Me Cry Could Build An Entire Ocean
Oct 13, 2023 1:13 PM
Jul 2023
sasaasasasasaasaa
Nov 8, 2023 10:25 AM
Sep 2016
*This* is what triggers the waterworks for all you people? I was laughing. It was all so silly. Not a bad show, but jeez are so many easily manipulated by fluff.
Nov 18, 2023 7:52 AM
Nov 2023
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Dec 10, 2023 12:47 PM
Jul 2023
Perfectly captures the magic of childhood memories, through the story of a group of friends with a beautiful and painful history.
Dec 10, 2023 12:47 PM
Jul 2023
Perfectly captures the magic of childhood memories, through the story of a group of friends with a beautiful and painful history.
Dec 15, 2023 2:55 AM

Aug 2023
great ending/finale... damn .

こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです! こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです!
Jan 18, 1:51 PM
Jan 2021
Wholesome ending. Almost made me cry. Enjoyed it, 7.5/10
Jan 29, 11:29 PM
Feb 2021
Great last episode really.

Overall, this show really surpassed my expectations, in terms of story and production. Most of the sad stuff felt pretty realistic and it was as devoid of melodrama as anime can get, so that was a major plus.

The biggest down side to this show is that nothing really happens. The dynamic of the characters is largely the same throughout despite all of them having as much development as possible in 11 episodes. I mean, it takes like 8 or 9 episodes for everyone to truly realize that Menma was real.

Most of this show felt like hanging out between big reveals, which is fine because it's more of a slice of life show. It has elements of drama, romance, and fantasy, but I would say that it's more slice of life than anything.

I do wish Jinta and Anaru got together before the end of the show, I assume it'll probably happen in the movie, but I think it really would've capped off how Jinta got over Menma. Like at this point, it's somewhat difficult to imagine Jinta actually got over Menma, but perhaps the movie will touch on that.

Out of all the really sad anime I've seen (Maeda Jun, YLIA, Violet Evergarden) this one is probably the best. I think Violet has better highs, but Anohana is more consistent. The characters also felt more realistic than they do in Clannad and YLIA and the story is much much less contrived than either of those.

Despite being so short, this show really did do a great job of telling it's story. It's not a perfect story, but every single episode is well constructed and interesting. There are definitely some areas of the story that could've used more development, but everything that's present is very well done.
Feb 21, 6:04 AM
Jun 2021
loved it, crie every single episode, very emotional anime
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Apr 2024
A nice final episode. Menma lives on though. Within their hearts. Within their dreams. And nothing can beat that. A dream without a close one to push you on. A goal without someone to carry you through. The love they have can forever exist. No matter what happens. This may not be a series I can rate a 10, but I'll rate it decently for what it is: a final memory.
Pages (25) « First ... « 23 24 [25]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

217 by NillyPC »»
Apr 22, 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.