Forum Settings
Forums

What is important for you in a good anime or manga?

New
May 27, 2011 11:02 AM

Apr 2011
Hi, I opened this topic in order to discuss about the factors which you take into consideration while watching and value an anime or manga. Which things count for you and which are less important? Please don't be shy, I think we can discuss a lot about it. You can write about any kind of anime/manga you are iterested in, because there are a lot of genres.
There are a lot of things which I take into consideration: the anime has to have a plot (that's why I don't like hentais because there is no story in most of them), the characters should be subtle and able to develop themselves. In some genres (shounen, fantasy, historical, sci-fi) there should be adventurous events and fights, the story should be entertaining and captivating. It's not a bad point if the story is funny or full of humor. I like even some ecchi or harem animes, because they are not about showing naked boobs and panties only, but they have a plot and a lot of humor (I would recommend Sekirei, Omamori Himari or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou in this genre).
I am not a romantic type, so I don't like the most shoujo animes with silli or shallow-minded bishies and girls, but there are some good works in this genre too with deep emotions, likeable characters or funny situations (Lovely Complex, Honey and Clover, Nana).
Sometimes the graphics counts as well, because there are really good animes, but the graphics is bad (Rahxephon for example)
Please write down your opinion, I am looking forward to your answer.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 27, 2011 7:02 PM

Apr 2010
I like a good story that I can relate to and good music that engulfs you into the scene or makes you emotional.
May 29, 2011 3:25 AM

Aug 2010
first I look is characters, if the character is my fav type, then I look for storyline, then shoujo, and yuri if possible
the more drama the better for me :)
(ง`▽´)ง
May 29, 2011 10:38 AM

Mar 2009
Watch all genres - even Yuri, Yaoi, Shoujo, ...
But my favorite genres are action, mystery, sci-fi and drama.

Back to topic.
The most important thing in manga for me are the story and character design. Manga is not animated. So action is not important.

The most important thing in anime for me are story, character design and animation.

.:: Animation ::.

Animes are animated shows. So the animation is important of course. If I see an anime of the 20th century, but the animation looks like 20 years old, I want to drop it. If the style is unique, I will try it - like Kaiba. The animation is important, but in my opinion the story is more important. HotD has a brillant animation and a very good action, but I expected from the story too much and it has too much "useless" Ecchi. The show sucks in my opinion. You see the story is important as well.

.:: Story ::.

The story makes the anime interesting. It's important to come into the anime. Some anime has a good start, but they sucks in the end. For example Kämpfer. siome animes has a very good story, but they out too much in few episodes. Many animes with 13 episodes mess the story up, because it's too much. But if the story sucks, the anime can be good by character design.

.:: Character design ::.

Characters makes the anime more interesting. Even the story is not well maded, the character design can make the anime very interesting. DRRR has many unique characters. I enjoy the show, even the end doesn't answer all my question. But neither animation nor character design nor story are important, if the anime has another good factor.

.:: Genre ::.

It's important too know the genre, because you know what you can expect from the show. If you watch a comedy anime, you can't expect much from the story.

.:: Summary ::.

In my opinion important are:
> animation: the glamour for the eyes
> story: you know the storyline, goal, ... You see the show has a recurrent theme
> character design: It makes the show more interesting. The characters tells the story
> genre: If you know the genre, you know what you can expect
May 29, 2011 10:57 AM

Apr 2011
Very well said, Nekro-nin, I couldn't have summarized the important factors better. I agree with you that the things you mentioned are all important. I forgot to mention some negative examples. I agree that Kämpfer started interesting but the end was bullshit, it's an example for a bad ecchi/harem anime. Another negative example could be Vampire Knight as a shoujo anime. The gothic/vamipre background was at first sight promising, but the emotions in it were sophisticated, silly and dull, and I hated the lovey-dovey and the stupid bishies very much in it. It was typical shoujo shit with all his cliches.Another negative example for me was Devil May Cry. The story and the plot wasn't bad (demon hunting with a lot of action), but the characters were too one-sided and plain, Dante was too laconic, and we didn't get to know too much about the emotional life or the thoughts of the characters.
gilasMay 29, 2011 11:13 AM
May 29, 2011 11:05 AM

Mar 2009
I forget to mention the date of airing is important, too.
If you watch an old anime, you can't expect a good animation like today's animes.
May 29, 2011 11:42 AM

Apr 2011
I definately agree with good endings, Gilgamesh was ruined for me because its ending sucked.

Humor is important, thats why one of my favorites is Bleach. I'm willing to forgive crappy animation of Slayers if it stays funny. Trigun and Inuyasha are also good.

Another reason I like Bleach so much is the great characters.

Music is important, but definately not necessary. That said, Bleach and .Hack//Sign have great music.

And for great story, I have to praise 12 Kingdoms.

I'm also a sucker for Medieval fantasy which is why I liked Scrapped Princess. I plan to watch Lodoss in the near future.
May 29, 2011 12:03 PM

Apr 2011
Slayers rulez! It's an interesting and captivating fantasy story with lot of action and fun, well elaborated and versitalise characters, and in my opinion the animation isn't bad (I have seen worse ones). As I am fond of shounen animes, I watch Bleach too, but I sometimes tired of the many fillers. But I agree that it has a good plot ( I like animes about shinigamis) and many different interesting characters, and some endings and openings of it are quite good. But music doesn't really count for me, because dispite the bad music an anime can be good.Trigun is one of my favourites which has also a good plot and a lot of humor. I like especially shounen, fantasy, historical and horror animes. I haven't seen Gilgamesh yet, but I plan to watch it.
May 29, 2011 1:35 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, filler episodes are annoying ... That why I prefer mangas.

It's good to compare animes to mangas.
Animes are animated. The fights are mostly better. The fights in mangas have no motion.
I like Bleach, because of the fights and good animation. But because of many filler episodes, I read the manga.

I don't care about translation. Sometimes the translation is worse xD As long I understand the text, everything is fine.
May 29, 2011 2:32 PM

Apr 2011
Well, music is sort of like toppings to a pizza. Good toppings/music makes good pizza/anime even better. But I agree it isn't necessary
May 29, 2011 4:54 PM

Jan 2011
it's all about story and characters, like with any creative output. if the animation is great, then that's fucking awesome. i would, however, rather watch a 25 year old anime with dated animation style and a killer story with great characters, than an anime with fucking amazing animation but a blah story and stereotypical characters. music is def a plus too, obviously, but also takes a back seat.
May 29, 2011 5:02 PM

Aug 2009
hm... nice question there! I guess it depends each time.
But generally I would answer that plot and characters are my main focus.

Then again, there are also those factors that play a big role in my decision, like art and music, music being even more important! I always enjoy a great anime OST!
I also can't stand some annoying voice acting voices.. sorry.. i know it's hard work and all, but those extremely high pitched voices just get on my nerves..

So, summing up, I look into every aspect when choosing an anime, but most important being the development of the characters. I want to see them grow, evolve into something else, be it for good or bad. I just want to see them change through events in a logical to follow way. That's all.. :)
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
May 30, 2011 4:54 AM

Dec 2008
I think characters are the most important thing. Memorable, lovable, awesome characters that make you feel for them or want to be them. If I'm recalling a series, I will think of story too, but most of all I will be thinking of the characters that influenced that story. "He was so stupid!" or "That was the best thing ever!" come to mind. If those things do, I think they're good characters. I'm kind of fond of main characters too, so if the story makes me feel for the main character and the side characters, then we're set. If we grow with them and learn from them, even better.

I think the story is good too - if I'm reading a synopsis of the anime I want to be able to go, "Yeah, that sounds like an awesome idea, I wanna see that," then I'll give it a try. It also has to flow together nicely, or, if it doesn't make sense to me, at least remain entertaining. I have walked out of finishing Boogiepop Phantom and FLCL going, "Wha?" but still finding them entertaining, or I wouldn't have finished them.

Pluses (but not necessary things) are stuff like music. If it has a catchy, rememberable soundtrack, it makes the show seem even more awesome in tone. Art isn't a biggie for me. I'm up for experimentation and being an art major I like to see all kinds of styles, be it old or new. I'm not discriminatory when it comes to art. There's probably great characters or a great story told in there and if I pass it up due to the art, I could be missing something amazing! So I try my best not to judge a book by its cover and even though the art may look cute and fluffy, it may be nothing but mindless cute and fluffy *cough*StrawberryPanic*cough*.

Downers are things like excessive fanservice - please note the keyword "excessive," not "fanservice" - you can have fanservice or be funny with it or play it up for humor, but when you look for every excuse in the book to show it, every episode, with the same character or as many characters as possible, that's when it's not funny anymore and it's just gross or pointless. I can take some fanservice, but not scene after scene after scene. Total turn off. If I wanted that, I'd go find a hentai.
May 30, 2011 7:00 AM

Apr 2011
CardcaptorKitty said:

Downers are things like excessive fanservice - please note the keyword "excessive," not "fanservice" - you can have fanservice or be funny with it or play it up for humor, but when you look for every excuse in the book to show it, every episode, with the same character or as many characters as possible, that's when it's not funny anymore and it's just gross or pointless. I can take some fanservice, but not scene after scene after scene. Total turn off. If I wanted that, I'd go find a hentai.

A good example of fanservice done right would be Rangiku from Bleach
May 30, 2011 10:59 AM

May 2011
Lotus97 said:
CardcaptorKitty said:

A good example of fanservice done right would be Rangiku from Bleach

Oh, Rangiku... She's just too funny...
"Fanservice" isn't a big deal to me, as long as it kind of makes sense... If it doesn't, there'd better be something really impressive to make up for it.

For me, story comes first. I love a good character, but all the good characters in the world can't make up for a lousy storyline. Good animation is a plus, but not an absolute requirement. Good voice actors are important, also, but if the voice actors are bad, I'll look for the dub (or sub if I'm already watching the dub.) If there's a soundtrack I can fall in love with, it's that much better.
I don't even mind filler, as long as the filler doesn't get too overbearing, like the massive amounts of it in Bleach and Inuyasha. I mean, there are whole seasons of filler in Bleach. You could almost skip them completely and not miss a thing, except some random comedy. With Inuyasha, they used 167 episodes and only covered a little more than half of the story, but by leaving out the filler, they told the remaining portion in just 26 episodes, and did it pretty well. After I did a Dragonball/Z/GT marathon a few years ago, I did get bored with the drawn-out fight scenes and whole episodes of powering up with no fighting at all. >_<

Once in a while, when I find myself between series, I'll take a day and "test drive" shows I haven't seen before. It mostly involves watching several first episodes. If I have to make myself stop watching it after the first episode because it's JUST THAT GOOD, then I put it on the list (or just watch it through.) If I don't automatically think it's awesome, I'll let it go. I'll probably rewatch it another time, to give it a second chance.
May 31, 2011 3:37 PM

Mar 2009
Lotus97 said:
Well, music is sort of like toppings to a pizza. Good toppings/music makes good pizza/anime even better. But I agree it isn't necessary

I don't really agree, because sometimes music is a very important for the anime even the anime is not mainly focused on music.
You listen to the story, but music is necessary, too. If you watch the naime without music, it will loose its favor. You know horro anime needs scary music to create the scary temper.

billmurderface said:
i would, however, rather watch a 25 year old anime with dated animation style and a killer story with great characters, than an anime with fucking amazing animation but a blah story and stereotypical characters. music is def a plus too, obviously, but also takes a back seat.

Yeah, that's true. Old animes woth good story are still good. But I'm curious why people give them bad score ... They are really a masterpiece even the animation is not advanced like today's animes. A good example is Angel's Egg.

Most of you mention character design is important, but why? I think you can identify with them - feel into them, fell in love with them, watch them grow up ... But even we can't identify with some of them, we still like them. The reason can maybe, they are cute, cool, ... DRRR has a lots of unique characters. So it's interesting to watch how they interact with each other. You see a good charcater design can you make feel into them and build up the action.
Jul 24, 2011 3:10 PM

Jun 2009
Good Story ,Kick ass Charas, action Great Sound ,Fights and crazyness
Jul 24, 2011 3:17 PM

Feb 2009
Art style, hey you need to like looking at it right.

Funny, I watch anime to laugh.

Romance, I watch anime to cry I suppose.

Story, I want to watch something that has purpose.

I don't mind sex content but like jokes, damn it know when to stop telling the same damned joke eh.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jul 24, 2011 6:24 PM
Feb 2009
It depends on the genre. Generally I look for a good story with compelling characters, but with comedies I care more about whether or not they make me laugh.
Jul 24, 2011 9:40 PM

Feb 2011
gilas said:
I like even some ecchi or harem animes, because they are not about showing naked boobs and panties only, but they have a plot and a lot of humor (I would recommend Sekirei, Omamori Himari or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou in this genre).

Wow, really?
Well, everyone has their tastes.

Personally: story and characters, that's for me, almost everything.

Also the character design,I don't like both anime characters with bigger eyes.
Jul 25, 2011 5:17 AM

Feb 2009
The shows I get attached to strongly usually say something to me personally that likely was never the intention of the show.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 29, 2011 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
BUMP for the newbies ^.^
Oct 29, 2011 12:44 PM

Sep 2009
I watch two kinds of anime depending on my mood. If i feel depressed i go for funny/stupid comedies full of fanservice with cheesy stories or anime for kids. If i don't need to be cheered i watch seinen.
In the first case i look for cute characters, good comedy and absolutely NO drama, in the second i only search for interesting stories, mostly sci-fi.

The only thing i never ever want to watch are shows that mix comedy and drama, i feel unbearably depressed when that happens, no matter how good said anime is.
Megpoid-CowardlyMontblancsigsecond05defs
Art by: akka
Oct 29, 2011 4:14 PM

Aug 2009
mm I can't watch much drama either. I like it when it's mixed with supernatural stuff, adventure etc. But as a slice of life of drama I can't easily sit and watch it through either. Well, usually I want to watch stuff to relax me or make me think more, life has enough time of anxiety and worries to want to re-watch such stuff in anime too. :P
That's why I prefer the supernatural stuff.
Oct 30, 2011 12:30 AM

Sep 2009
JusticeUndone said:
life has enough time of anxiety and worries to want to re-watch such stuff in anime too. :P
Precisely, i totally agree! *_*
Megpoid-CowardlyMontblancsigsecond05defs
Art by: akka
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.