May 17, 2011 4:12 AM

Jul 2008
Title - Fish Story
Director - Yoshihiro Nakamura
Year of Release - 2009
Duration - 112 minutes
IMDb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1244666/

Synopsis
Based on a novel by Kotaro Isaka, Fish Story weaves together several seemingly separate storylines taking place at different points in time over a 37-year span to explain how a little-known punk rock song can save the world. In 1975, an unpopular Japanese punk band called Gekirin starts work on their 3rd album. Unfortunately the band is a little ahead of its time; punk won t be marketable until the Sex Pistols debut in the UK the following year. Due to nonexistent sales, their record company decides to drop them and they break up soon after recording their final song: Fish Story . In 1982 a timid college student named Masashi becomes fascinated by strange rumors surrounding the song. Apparently, at a certain point in the recording there is a brief interlude where you can hear a woman scream. Later, he meets a mysterious woman at a party who inexplicably predicts that he will save the world one day. In 2009 a teenager named Asami falls asleep during a school field trip and gets left behind on a boat. Initially distraught, she s eventually consoled by a kindly cook. Suddenly, men with guns storm in and attempt a boat-jacking. In 2012 a huge comet can be seen in the sky on a path to destroy Earth. The US has failed in their attempt to blow it up and with only 5 hours left before impact, all major city streets are completely abandoned. That is, except for one record store that continues business as usual. Within the store, Fish Story can be heard playing on an old turntable...

Trailer

I've heard quite a few good things about this seemingly unknown film released back in 2009. By the sound of the synopsis, it's a dead ringer for 20th Century Boys, only with more cheese. Looks very entertaining nevertheless, hope you all enjoy it!
ToukaJun 13, 2011 3:11 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 24, 2011 4:49 PM

Jul 2008
Wow! I just this moment finished watching Fish Story and it was brilliant! Such a refreshing film and one of those that leaves a smile on your face. A captivating, delightful watch. If you ever get a chance, definitely watch it!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 31, 2012 3:08 AM

Jun 2010
Just watched this. Really enjoyed it. Witty writing and intertwined stories touch upon various themes ranging from the music industry to religious cults. The characters also provide for some compelling drama. The pacing gets a little sluggish about 3/4ths in due to what I think is a bit of drawn out dialogue, but overall this is a film worthy of attention.

Movie of the Week
Humanity and Paper Balloons
( Sadao Yamanaka, 1937 )

If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan
club! Thank you (:

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Japanese film?

Sukamii - Jan 28, 2022

0 by Sukamii »»
Jan 28, 2022 9:52 PM

Sticky: » What was the last film you watched? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Touka - Mar 12, 2010

735 by Culex »»
Sep 29, 2018 9:53 PM

Sticky: » Movie, Director and Actor/Actress/Talent Spotlights [List + Suggestions]

13579wp - Aug 6, 2014

5 by JapaneseDaddy »»
Aug 25, 2018 10:45 PM

» Cinema of China/Korea.

TakeshiKitano - Aug 19, 2011

48 by PandaMaster99 »»
Aug 30, 2015 1:02 AM

» Director Spotlight #5: Sion Sono

Orion1 - Nov 1, 2012

3 by removed-user »»
May 27, 2015 3:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.