Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2011 10:25 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Geh, this movie was worse than the first one. I hated the thought that the two of them would be fighting, I mean this was after they obtained Lulun; they've already been through hell and back.

Still, the feathered outfits were pretty awesome looking, with the ability to fly and whatnot. Porun was really annoying in the end though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2013 6:43 AM

Sep 2012
I agree with Porun was being annoying. But he usually tries to get attention all the time anyway.

I quite liked the fight between White and Black that was quite unique in some ways. IMO White had the upperhand. But realized first what happened, but also was ice'd first. So whatever.

Luminous actually did things in this one more so then being a support character.

I think I liked this one a WHOLE lot more than the first one. Not sure if "It was ok" or "I liked it". 5 or a 6.

Although the last movie they did glow way more. Like the only thing I liked in that one. This one they should have been more fireish like. Like flamed more than just a glow. Why not? They were on fire anyway. Just made them seem weaker than the last movie the way they seemed in this one.

I thought it was getting a bit ecchi. For a bit. White seems to like Black a bit too much at times. Didn't help she was staring at Nagisa the whole time in the ending. Hmm I think I will give it a 5 still. Close to a 6 but not. I sort of liked it, so it was OK.
Mar 20, 2016 8:22 AM

Dec 2008
I liked this movie a lot more than the first one.
I gave the first one a 5/10, this one got a 8/10.
The story was more interesting, I really liked the serious atmosphere and the villains were more convincing. Also the action and the final power-ups looked better.

I hope the other precure movies are like this one :)
May 24, 2017 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
Although the first Max Heart movie was better than any of the other continuity-specific Precure movies I had seen until I watched it, this movie definitely topped the first and is actually a legit good movie. I don't know how Toei manages to screw them up so often, but they got it right for once.

Looking more closely, the director of both of the Max Heart movies, Junji Shimizu, later went on to direct Fresh Precure!. I can definitely see that since both the character bonding and character development were very on-point in this movie. Even aside from the smart #ticketseller idea to come up with a believeable way to shake up Nagisa and Honoka's relationship and pit them in an actual fight against one another as Cures, I really appreciated the character development with Hikari toward the end, particularly since it creates a segue between her current state and her awakened stated as the Queen of Light-- her expressions were very similar to what you might expect the Queen to say in that sort of situation.

Add on top of that a serviceable plot and some nice action and I'm quite content with what I got.
Jan 20, 2018 4:53 AM

Apr 2012
I still like the first Max Heart movie better but this isn't so bad too. There are some nice moments and I like the fight between Cur Black and Cure White.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Feb 9, 2019 5:29 AM
Jun 2016
So apparently, in this film, Lulun is present unlike in the previous one. This means that if we were to place the two movies within Max Heart's timeline (and assuming all of the episodes follow the same chronology, anyway) then that means the 1st movie takes place around after Hikari gains the ability to transform. Whereas the 2nd movie takes place around after they meet Lulun. Dunno, just felt like saying that.

I was kind if spoiled before watching this movie and I knew that Nagisa and Honoka would fight (although I was kind of bracing for that moment while watching the previous movie). The moment I saw that scene where two bystanders comment about how Fujimura and Honoka looks great as a couple, I knew that might spark the said fight I was talking about.

I kind of view the drama in this film both positively and negatively. Nagisa and Honoka's friendship in the TV series was relatively peaceful, with a notable exception during an earlier episode in the 1st season. Since they've been together, peacefully, for so long, it kind of feels like the drama makes little sense being so late into the story (would have made much more sense if done in an earlier 1st season episode). I'm not saying that arguments are 100% avoidable, though. To be fair, it could be justified that Nagisa is bottling up her feelings the whole time.

On the other hand, I could also say that the drama was good. The PreCure movies aren't supposed to be canonical to the main series. Which, of course, this means that the writers could technically do whatever they want. But still, I would still like it so that even the non-canonical movies could make sense (even if it's just a little) if viewed from the context of the TV series. Ah, but whatever. The only time (as far as I remember) Nagisa and Honoka argue is in the earlier 1st season episode I kept on mentioning. Although this time, they're fighting as Cures! The episode I kept on mentioning was good in a sense of drama, but this movie does it better. And of course, there are people who like this kind of drama.

I was writing some of the parts while watching (of course, I pause the film as I write). The parts above I wrote specifically before the the Cures fight each other. Honoka ends up being manipulated by the films villains. Or oops, sorry, "ice was planted into her heart." Whatever, it still counts! I say the villain controlling Honoka made sense in a "so the heroes would win" sort of way. I don't know who is more powerful as Cures, but Nagisa's an athlete. So I think it's pretty fair to say that she has a good chance of winning. Turns out that Nagisa ends up being controlled as well. And on top of that, the film suggests that they pretty much have the same strength (and mental fortitude) as Cures?

Poor Nagisa. She just couldn't catch a break, huh?

I like how Rina had interesting lines in this film. Unfortunately, I don't really remember if she had any such moments in the main series. Maybe I'm just not remembering things right, but Shiho was more interesting in the TV series (just in case if anyone's wondering, Rina is the taller one of Nagisa's friends, while Shiho is the shorter one). Which is kind of unfortunate since it would have been cool if Shiho, and especially Rina had much more character other than for us to just say: "Oh, so Nagisa had friends before Honoka." Ah, oh well. Also, I like how we see Rina with her hair down for one of the scenes. I don't really remember if the main series depicted that. Other than that, we also get to see Akane without her bandana. That happens in the TV series as well, but very rarely. In fact, it always catches me off guard since I'm not used to it. Like, it elicits a "who is that?" reaction for me. I figure out it is her, eventually, anyway.

ALSO WAIT A MINUTE, "HINATA" IS HOUOU!? OR RATHER, THE BIRD IN WHICH THE POKEMON "HO-OH" IS BASED ON!? Yeah, it made me surprised a bit while I was watching the film. I know Ho-oh when I see one. Fire and all.

I also like how an orchestral remix of the 1st season's ED was reused (I think) in a scene. Since it's a film that has Hikari Kujou in it, I was expecting maybe they'd use Max Heart's 1st ED instead? But yeah, I like regardless of which they use. Just something I found interesting

I've also realized that Nagisa barely even said "arienai" in both films. Or maybe it's just me?

Cool, the Cures get bird powers as an upgrade (the upgrade looks very, 'feathery'). The villains also get a taste of their own medicine as well. Although I've noticed that the bracelets the Cures have simply just appear (which is I get it, maybe they're trying to save runtime).

Wow, just like the previous film, this one also surprised me with the near deaths of its characters.

Sorry if the writing feels sloppy at times.
Mar 14, 2019 8:21 AM

Jul 2015
That was a nice movie, definitely the best part of Max Heart, I enjoyed a lot how they used the best element from this entry: the friendship between the main duo, this carries nicely the strongest moments of this movie.
Nov 19, 2019 11:25 AM

Jun 2014
This was a great movie! Nagisa and Honoka have a friendship which cannot be truly broken, ever. Porun really didn't want Hinata to go, but I believe that he may form an even better bond with Lulun because of that.

I'm 38 episodes through the Max Heart series at the time of this post, so now I'll continue with the series!

Jun 14, 2020 12:30 PM
May 2019
This was even more monotonous than the first movie, probably because of Pollun's presence being more prominent here, but also for other reasons. It had some moments, but the negatives almost outmatch the positives. This entire franchise really just screams mediocrity, but I'd take the movies over the series any day. At least they aren't as tedious as the TV-series, being almost fifty episodes each of repetitiveness.
Oct 27, 2020 10:11 PM

Nov 2018
This was amazing unlike the first movie which was barely above average. I really REALLY will miss these girls, they're really special to me, truly an iconic duo for the ages.
Jan 11, 2023 11:59 AM

Feb 2020
They really turned into Super Saiyans to defeat Freezer and Cooler, huh

Interesting how different the reception is, I personally liked this one better than the first movie.
mazuchiJan 11, 2023 12:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.