Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2011 10:51 AM

May 2009
I've watched 5 episodes by now and I'm considering dropping this series. I didn't expect much, in fact I was looking for a light comedy and this one was quite highly rated.
I laughed maybe once for San's father and twice for Masa and Nagasumi's first kiss, but it gets repeatable after that. I see the places when I'm supposed to laugh but I don't feel like it.
Am I missing something? Or maybe it gets better in later episodes?
Jan 1, 2011 11:04 AM

Nov 2010
Same thing was for me, although I finished it somehow. There will be more places that will probably make you laugh, but if you don't feel like watching it, then better don't.
Jan 4, 2011 9:59 PM

Apr 2008
Well, I wasn't thinking of it being funny... But I started enjoying after episode 14 or something... (the one with the cat). Well, it has it's moments, it's not the best series, but it's quite entertaining after a while... That's what I thought about the later episodes (the first ones didn't catch my attention, nor made me laught).

Mar 6, 2011 11:33 AM

Aug 2010
I started watching it because everyone said it was ridiculously funny, but other than a smile here and there, it really isn't doing it for me. :/
Mar 7, 2011 5:04 PM

Apr 2009
Didn't started laughing from the start? Drop it.

No other anime has made me laugh so much.
Mar 18, 2011 3:59 AM

Nov 2010
this anime is so overrated,
Mar 26, 2011 5:07 PM

Feb 2008
If you dont laugh after ep 1, the humour isn't for you, lol
Mar 29, 2011 12:34 PM
Dec 2007
That's the thing with comedy. There's different kinds of comedy for different types of people. Some people like parodies, other dark humor, others just very obscene gag routines. The list can go on. If you didn't like the comedy after 1/3 of the way in then I guess it's safe to say it isn't for you. It doesn't mean it's overrated or that it sucks. It just reflects the difference between the comedy you like and the comedy the reviewers liked, all up to the viewer's taste.

Personally the start kinda seemed a bit been-there-done-that routine but it's been hooking me the further on I watch.

Sep 18, 2012 7:08 AM
Dec 2010
This anime was probably one of the most funny anime i have ever seen.

Maybe you guys chose wrong fansub or you went with dubbing.
OR you are just not made for comedy anime like this one.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Feb 25, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2012
Terminator 2 parody, eps 11 (i thinnk) , that was a funny one for me.
Feb 25, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2007
gino_san said:

I'm sure the guy from January of 2011 will definitely watch the show now, thanks to your input.
Mar 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Sep 2013
you dropped it because you didn't laugh? *facepalm*

I swear those people shouldn't exist on here.

May 14, 2014 10:21 PM
Jun 2013
Made it through 4 episodes before I dropped it. I would have dropped it after one episode, but it came so highly recommended that I thought it was sure to improve.
Jun 5, 2014 11:52 PM
Apr 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
gino_san said:

I'm sure the guy from January of 2011 will definitely watch the show now, thanks to your input.

It's more for people that came after (like me). Since these threads don't really disappear.

Think I need to try and watch it again, but I felt the same last time I tried. Although that was the dub and the MC screaming in my eardrums constantly drove me crazy. Which is odd because I enjoyed D-FRAG.
Jun 6, 2014 12:31 AM

Jan 2013
First few episodes are not really good (for me). It gets better when they actually start the show back to the city.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 6, 2014 12:32 AM

Apr 2011
I thought it was hilarious from start to finish, but that was a while ago.
Jan 15, 2015 12:14 PM
Jan 2015
It's not funny to me but some people say it's one of the funniest romcom ever so you expect it to be.... Any other opinions?
Feb 5, 2015 12:12 PM
Jun 2011
Aivellyn said:
I've watched 5 episodes by now and I'm considering dropping this series. I didn't expect much, in fact I was looking for a light comedy and this one was quite highly rated.
I laughed maybe once for San's father and twice for Masa and Nagasumi's first kiss, but it gets repeatable after that. I see the places when I'm supposed to laugh but I don't feel like it.

Agreed. I'm finding it as the most horrible anime I've watched to date. I enjoy the main storyline with Sun and Nagasumi but the supporting characters of family, henchmen, and Maki are grating, repetitive and obnoxious and I feel so sorry for Nagasumi as he has all these psychopaths making his life a living hell. I think Sun and her family should just f*** off and go back to the Seto sea. I have continued watching waiting and hoping for it to get better but so far just more of the same crap. I am considering dropping it. :(
Feb 5, 2015 12:14 PM

Aug 2014
It's a comedy. If the humor doesn't click with you, there's no reason to not drop it. It's fairly consistent throughout.
Sieg Zeon!
Feb 5, 2015 12:15 PM
Jun 2011
DawnJ said:
First few episodes are not really good (for me). It gets better when they actually start the show back to the city.

I also was thinking this might be the case and I could have tolerated if it was just Maki but all the family etc following just has crushed it for me. I did not find it very funny as the jokes were repeated to death and I also felt I knew where it was supposed to be funny but it just did not tickle my funny bone. Oh well. Too bad because the animation was quite cute, music and bgm were enjoyable as were some of the characters. If the family were gone I would have kept watching until the end. :(
Mar 1, 2015 8:18 PM
Sep 2014
Damn, this was hard to watch. I started watching this because people say its one of most hilarious anime out there but i could even laugh how annoyed i was. Even though idea was good, mermaid x human forced marriage (like Nisekoi, which i loved) they failed with comedy part. They were screaming 90% and 90% of that was not even funny. If they went with normal comedy instead of this screaming sh?t i think this show would be really good. But, since it had some good moments, characters and few good episodes, instead of my lowest score 5 im giving it 6
Sep 15, 2018 7:20 AM

Aug 2012
Aivellyn said:
Well is a bad clone of Urusei Yatsura. Watch that first. If you like that you might enjoy some of this show, but yes most of the jokes in this show are kinda lame.
Sep 15, 2018 7:22 AM

Aug 2012
somethingweird said:
It's not funny to me but some people say it's one of the funniest romcom ever so you expect it to be.... Any other opinions?
Is not that funny maynly of how bad of a character Nagasumi is. He is so lame most of the time and so subservient to the women around him it makes me sick. Watch Urusei Yatsura . The original is better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seto no Hanayome Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Faust721 - Oct 1, 2007

194 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 4, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Seto no Hanayome Episode 25 Discussion

Faust721 - Sep 25, 2007

35 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 4, 4:20 PM

Poll: » Seto no Hanayome Episode 24 Discussion

DeathfireD - Sep 17, 2007

42 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 4, 4:23 AM

Poll: » Seto no Hanayome Episode 23 Discussion

DeathfireD - Sep 10, 2007

43 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 4, 3:51 AM

Poll: » Seto no Hanayome Episode 22 Discussion

DeathfireD - Sep 3, 2007

39 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 3, 3:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.