Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 20, 2010 11:10 PM

Aug 2009
The season's winding down, so I thought it might be fun posting our "bests/favorites of the season" like some blogs do. I only ask that you keep things fairly civil and not go too crazy with the spoilers. Try not to be too trollish either; it's OK to post things like "biggest disappointment", but please don't go into huge diatribes on how character x or show y is the worst thing ever.

All right, let's go!

Best Continuing Summer Show: Shiki - Carrying over from last season, Shiki really kicked it into full gear after its brief hiatus. Sporting faster paced episodes, sketchy moral lines, and plenty of blood, it became a scary, brutal highlight of my week.

Biggest Surprise: Otome Youkai Zakuro - I picked this show up midseason, and was pleased to find that it filled the shoujo gap in my season quite nicely. Fun characters, heartwarming moments, and a cool setting.

Best Ending Theme: Akai Coat - Arakawa Under the Bridge x2 - While I'm not the biggest fan of the show itself, the soothing acoustic guitar of its ED is the perfect fit for it. Don't have much more reason than that. I just like it, really.

Best Opening Theme: Gravity 0 - Star Driver - What can I say, I'm a sucker for J-Rock shounen themes. Like my choice for ED, this song just fits its show perfectly.

Best Character: Kuroneko - OreImo - I'm a humongous Kana Hanazawa fan, and her depiction of the snarky, gothic cosplayer Kuroneko was easily one of if not the highlight of Ore no Imouto. She was spot-on in just about every scene she was in and really never ceased to be incredibly entertaining.

Biggest Disappointment: Star Driver - Don't get me wrong, I still really like this shows but it didn't quite meet the expectations I had for it. Star Driver is the most fun I've had with anime in a while, but the formulaic episodes and general invincibility of the protagonist does get kinda tired.

Best Fall 2010 Show: The World God Only Knows - While some of the individual parts may be weak (namely animation), there was something about the general synergy of plot, character, voice work, and music that made every episode of this show a blast to watch. I know it's not really fair giving my biggest award to a manga adaptation, but I watch anime to be entertained, and darned if this isn't one of the most entertaining things I've had the pleasure of watching in a long time.

Miscellaneous quick hits:
Show I skipped but will likely blast through in a week some time: MM!, Ika-musume
Show I would have watched had I been more familiar with the series: Index II
Biggest Headache: TIE - OreImo/Yosuga no Sora
LightningRamielDec 21, 2010 12:14 AM
Ha-cha!
Dec 20, 2010 11:33 PM

Jul 2008
Sounds fun. I'll try this.

Best Continuing Summer Show - Amagami SS
Only one reason. It's the only summer show that carried over for me and plus Rihoko's arc was in the second half. (Flame me all you want. I think Rihoko's arc was the second best out of Amagami.)

Biggest Surprise - Kuragehime
For the same reason you chose Otome Youkai Zakuro. Which would have been my second choice for biggest surprise, maybe. Picked it up, because of a friend's recommendation and I'm so glad I did. Fits the shoujo bill, better than Otome Youkai.

Best Opening Song - Index II (No buts!)
What can I say, it's got over a hundred plays on my Itunes. Not many songs on my Itunes get over 100 plays.

Best Character - Takuto (Star Driver)
He's the only character that can get away with saying, "It's a pinch" or "It's a safe." Plus everyone calls him Galactic Pretty Boy. I think I have a clear favorite.

Biggest Disappointment - Togainu no Chi
Two episodes in and A1 has disappointed me with animation level and story telling level. Heck, Uragiri blah blah from the Spring Season left me more impressed and I thought that show was fairly mediocre. Had it on my top five anticipated shows for Fall 2010 and I couldn't even get through the second episode.

Show that is moving at a snail's pace award: Bakuman/The World God Only Knows
I feel like these two shows should be lumped together, since both of them were highly anticipated for me. But I'm a little disappointed by how little they cover each week, especially Bakuman. And The World God Only Knows is dragging things out as well, by putting insert songs everywhere. Not that I'm complaining about insert songs, since I've had "I My Me Aidoru" stuck in my head for the past weeks.

@LightningRamiel: Star Driver left me quite impressed actually. It's slowly becoming one of my favorites, probably because I expected next to nothing from it when I glanced over the Fall shows. I also like your Blazblue profile photo. Just started playing it a week ago and it's really fun, even though all I do is button mash. :|
Dec 20, 2010 11:42 PM

Feb 2009
Best Continuing Summer Show: Shiki
Although it had a slow beginning and I had a hard time adjusting to the art style, Shiki is turning into one amazing series. I mean, ever since Episode 14 with the infamous experiments by Toshio... Hell, even before that when Natsuno was *Spoiler* bitten *End Spoiler* was when it really started to pick up. I definitely like the direction this series has taken and I cannot wait to see the conclusion. Just wish the art was better.

Biggest Surprise: Kuragehime
I really wasn't all that interested in this one and did not even pick it up right away. However, around episode three the hype finally got me into the series and I decided to pick it up. It's turned into one of my favorites now and one where I eagerly await the next episode to see. Kuranosuke is easily the character that is carrying this series, though, and he steals every scene he is in.

Best Ending Theme: Futari Shizuka (Otome Youkai Zakuro)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nsrTsXqiA
In all honesty, pick any of the endings from Youkai Zakuro and you have yourself a winner, but this one is probably the best of the ones so far. It is a very pretty song and the two voices work very well together. I thought it was extremely well done.

Best Opening Theme: Sweet Romance (Yumeiro Pâtissière SP Professional)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FGAG2Ae2UA&feature=related
I loved this one from the get-go and the only opening from this season that made it onto my iPod. There's just something about it that I love and it is such an earworm. Every now and then, I'll find myself humming the tune and really, a song has to be memorable to be good, doesn't it? The same can be said for bad songs, but this isn't an irritating earworm.

Best Character: Akito Takagi from Bakuman
This character is one who I admire the passion in. How he's willing to drop his education and risk it all for something he really loves is very inspiring, albeit stupid. However, his enthusiasm and comedic timing make him pretty impossible to hate. He's just such a fun character and one of the ones I have enjoyed watching the most, especially after he punched that one punks lights out.

Biggest Disappointment: Yosuga no Sora
I was going completely by the description and the MAL page, so I thought it would be a kind of cute, sweet romance. There are far too many series released each season to look over each one... Goodness. What a surprise that first episode was. And not a pleasant one. Then, I was filled with hope with people saying that, despite the sexual aspects of the show, it still had a good plotline. What a bunch of liars, because I really didn't see one.

Best Fall 2010 Show: Otome Youkai Zakuro
I know there will be people who disagree with me, but this is the main series this year that has had me excited to see the next episode. Recently, it's showed some real development and it isn't afraid to get into some darker stuff. I love how beautiful the visuals are and how polished the overall look is. It has a wonderful cast and the characters are all loveable.For me, this has been the best show of the season.

Show I skipped but will likely blast through in a week some time: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

Show I would have watched had I been more familiar with the series: Index II

Biggest Headache: Yosuga no Sora
Dec 21, 2010 12:34 AM

Jan 2007
I found this season's anime to be quite solid. Enjoyed a lot of shows. Well, here are my best of's:

Best Show: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Funny, exciting, and well, just plain crazy. As expected of Gainax.

Biggest Disappointment: Sora no Otoshimono Forte
They really screwed up with some of the changes they made from the manga. But still an enjoyable show none the less.

Biggest Surprise: Yosuga no Sora
Well, I don't think this needs explanation.

Best Character: Ika Musume (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)
Watching her learn about the human world was a pleasant treat for me this season. So cute and funny.

Best OP: Irony by Claris (Ore no Imouto)
Great song. Really enjoyed seeing different animation for most episodes.

Best ED: Koi wa Mizu-iro by Yukana (Amagami SS)
Catchy Song. Yukana did a wonderful job.

Best Insert Song: D Rock City by Teddyloid feat. Debrazeer (Panty & Stocking)
I really can't wait for the OST to come out.

May add more if I feel like it.
Dec 21, 2010 8:34 AM

May 2009
Best Continuing Summer Show: Shiki - Gets more and more epic with each episode.

Biggest Surprise: MM! - I had really low expections for this, but it turned out to be quite entertaining after the second episode.

Best Ending Theme: Fortune Arterial

Best Opening Theme: Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Best Character: Ika Musume

Biggest Disappointment: Shinrei Tantei Yakumo - I expected this to be a really good series, but turned out to be one of the shittiest one I've ever watched.

Best Fall 2010 Show: Bakuman - Many people complain about the pacing of this show, but I don't have any problem with it - I think it suits the sries perfectly, and I never found any episode boring.
Dec 21, 2010 10:51 AM

Jul 2007
Best Show: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Really loved this one. Really rude but also great in a way >_>.

Biggest Disappointment: Togainu no Chi
Plot seemed very interesting, but the show itself is about as shit as one could get >_<.

Biggest Surprise: Yosuga no Sora
Just loved it hehe.

Best Character: Chuck (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)
Who could beat the lovely Chuck?!

Best OP: Irony by Claris (Ore no Imouto)
Really catchy tune.

Best ED: Metamarism (Itou Kanae) (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)
Sound sad, but has a good feeling.

Best Insert Song: D Rock City by Teddyloid feat. Debrazeer (Panty & Stocking)
Unexpected but great.
Dec 21, 2010 11:17 AM

Oct 2010
best show: Amagami SS

Liked the formula of the show, a new heroine every 4 episodes, nice change of paste from what i've been watching :) and all the heroines were very likable to lovable :)

Show dropped: MM!

i didn't even watch more than half of the first episode before dropping it (harsh..) but the whole masochist theme just put me off -_-"
also didn't like the main girl all that much.

best character: Ayatsuji Tsukasa
loved her personality and her arc :) most appealing/fun character

best Opening Theme: Sweet Romance from Yumeiro patisserie S2
very catchy and loved the lyrics.

Best Insert song: Monochrome from Stardriver
the insert song was very soothing and added more omphhh! to the fight/transformation scenes.
I'll never say "I understand what you're going through"
Dec 21, 2010 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Best continuing summer show: Shiki
I had this show on hold for about 4 months, but I'm really glad I picked it back up. I honestly didn't mind the slow pace at first, but the last few episodes have been great and full of tension, moral dilemmas, and some genuinely disturbing moments.

Biggest surprise: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
I really only picked this up because of the whole Chuck being a Gir homage thing (huge Invader Zim fan here), and the first five episodes or so were equal parts funny and well... crap (literally in some instances). Episode 6 was the turning point for this show, though, and the episodes after that started being genuinely funny. It's not the greatest thing ever by a long shot, but it's been a lot more fun than I thought it'd be.

Best ED: Kimi no Kirei ni Kizuite Okure (Kuragehime ED)
It's catchy, has nice vocals, and usually is transitioned into at just the right time. What's not to like?

Best OP: God Only Knows (Kami Nomi OP)
This one seems to be channeling Eden of the East visual-wise, but that's not a bad thing: I loved EoE's op's visuals, and it helps here too. The song's engrishy but charming, and I love the last 30 seconds of it. Shame this is the only part of the full version that's worth listening to (IMO), but whatever.

Best Character: Kuranosuke Koibuchi (Kuragehime)
He's that same popular, good-looking guy that you see in tons of other anime series, but unlike them, he's not very self-absorbed or shallow and honestly dislikes having everyone and their mother fawn over him. He's also the only character in the show who's willing to look beyond Tsukimi's (and the rest of the Amars') looks and accept them for who they are, and I just think he's a really fun, funny, and sweet character.

Biggest disappointment: Star Driver
This isn't my least favorite show this season, but I came into it expecting something at least 7 worthy given the staff (I usually like BONES stuff, and the guy who wrote Utena's in charge of the script). Problem is that it tries to mix drama and comedy/ridiculousness together and is really just average at both, and none of the characters have been that great for me so far. So yeah, just like Ookamikakushi from last winter was a halfhearted attempt at duplicating Higurashi, this is a mediocre rehash of Utena mixed in with some Code Geass.

Best show: Kuragehime
It makes me laugh consistently every episode, features likable characters, and has one of the cutest mascot characters I've seen

Shows I'll probably get to sooner or later: Ika Musume!, OreImo
Show(s) I would've watched if I'd seen the prequel(s): Arakawa under the Bridge x2
Dec 23, 2010 8:21 PM

Jul 2010
Best Show of 2010 - "Shiki" and "Angel Beats"
I just... couldn't... decide. They both have their merits. I love the twists and turns the plot in Shiki has taken. I love the struggles with the characters, and, of course, I love the bloodshed and drama. With Angel Beats I loved just about every single character. The show was hilarious and made me laugh, and the ending was just so touching. You can't help but love it.
Honorable Mention: Durarara - Loved this show. This show had plot twists and "secrets" of its own. Like Angel Beats, it a had a wide cast of characters and most of them were rather likeable. I feel like this needs a second season, though.

Best Continuing Summer Show: Shiki
I didn't start watching this show until it came back after it's 3 week hiatus. I had it on my plan to watch list and was saving it for when I knew I needed something good to watch. I'm glad it didn't disappoint. I watched those 14 episodes in one go and have now been eagerly waiting for new episodes each week ever since. This is one of my favorite shows this year.

Biggest Surprise: Kuragehime
I feel so bad that I judged a book by its cover. When I saw the picture for it I was thinking, "Well... I think I might pass this up." But I gave the first episode a try and became hooked after that. It's a hidden gem, in my opinion.

Best Ending Theme: Shinryaku! Ika Musume - "Metamarism" by Kanae Ito
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_xXwhfI-qo&feature=related
I don't even watch this show, but this ending is awesome. She has such a beautiful voice. I was originally going to give this to "Akane Sora ni Negau" from Hakuouki. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFd3yv6Jd4

Best Opening Theme: Otome Youkai Zakuro - "Moon SIGNAL" by Sphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDC6ywVLVk
I didn't really care for this song that much, but it's really grown on me since then. Very catchy.
The runner up is Tegami Bachi Reverse - "Chiisana Mahou" by Stereo Pony. You just can't go wrong with Stereo Pony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghJU53vgck

Best Character: Otonashi, Yuzuru from Angel Beats
Didn't think I would pick him, but he's a character that I can really connect with. After seeing the episode on his past I totally felt for this guy. I wanted to say, "Hey... he's like me." I can't really put it into words.
Honorable mentions: Izaya Orihara from Durarara, because he made me smile.
Kuroneko from Ore no Imouto - she practically held that show together!

Biggest Disappointment: Nurarihyon no Mago
Like Shiki, I kept this show on my plan to watch list because I was saving it for a time when I wanted a good anime to watch. But unlike Shiki, this show did not deliver. Honestly, this show was average at best. Based on the summary I was expecting something a lot more exciting, but it was pretty boring. It wasn't really bad, just not what I expected.
Another one like this: Star Driver. How dare you recycle fight scenes like that. It's just criminal.

Best Fall 2010 Show: Otome Youkai Zakuro
A hidden gem. This show didn't get the attention it deserved. All of the main characters are loveable. The story concept is rather interesting, too. I've loved just about every episode this show has brought, leaving me dying for more the next week. I'll be sad when it's gone.
Honorable mentions: Kuragehime and Bakuman

Most Over-Rated Show of Fall 2010: Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Not a bad show, but damn, why is it so freaking popular? It's not that great, so I don't get why so many people like it. Same goes for Ore no Imouto.

Show I would have watched had I been more familiar with the series: Arakawa Under the Bridge 2 and Index II

Biggest Headache: The pile up of ecchi. Seriously. It seemed like there was so much ecchi (particular in the fall line-up. And I'm just not into that. When I think of what other show could've been there in the place of those... (sigh)
Kirino was also a headache, for the record.

More topics from this board

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - May 8

24 by tchitchouan »»
8 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 1 hour ago

11 by Mishiia »»
15 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

66 by SwordBreaker36 »»
17 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

23 by Daviljoe193 »»
17 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

96 by Asphiee »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.