Forum Settings
Forums

Antagonist falls in love with Protagonist (Or Vice Versa) [No Shoujos]

New
Dec 16, 2010 6:35 AM

Aug 2009
An anime where the villain falls in love (not instantaneously) with another character in the series who's on the 'good side'. The 'good' character may not necessarily be the lead but it's preferred if they are the main protagonist.

Please realize that I'm not asking for some random shoujo where there's a bitch/delinquent who are the 'bad' person and their 'good' counterparts start off hating each other but later fall in love.
The type of love I want may most probably be found in an action/adventure/fantasy/apocalyptic anime.

No Shoujos. =)

Picture this:
The 'good' person and the 'bad' person are mortal enemies and are supposed to fight to death. And then, due to some unexpected turn of events or spontaneous realizations the villain holds back, unable to fight because they've somehow fallen in love with the other.

Bonus points:
> Antagonist is male and Protagonist/Good side character is
female.
> Good action. Good romance.
> Conclusive series
> The less comedy and more intensity the better

I found the idea based off the BlazBlue Videogame series but a loose example would be of Claire 'Vino' and Chane's relationship in Baccano.

Please avoid long shounens and anything before the 21st Century.

Thanks a lot in advance!
k0k0Dec 16, 2010 8:42 AM
Dec 16, 2010 7:51 AM

Feb 2010
Naruto and Sasuke xD
but really:
Boa Hancock and Luffy (One Piece) ^^

Basilisk should have what you want though in some way.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 16, 2010 8:35 AM

Aug 2009
It's gonna be a herculean task to catch up to all 450+ episodes of One Piece. I'd rather not do long shounens and oldschool.

Basilisk sounds cool but more along the lines of Romeo and Juliet. Close but not quite. I still plan to watch it though. Thanks a lot for the response and the recs Higashi! =)

How do I explain the character chemistry I want? It's like, they loathe each other and they have plans to crush each others' souls and are destined to battle. But then the antagonist's evil plans or murderous attire wavers because of the protagonist. I don't want them falling in love on the first sight. They're about to kill each other. Except, that one of them gets a change of mind, or rather heart. The antagonist himself doesn't realize that they'd fallen in love but later they do. That last minute change-of-mind is what I'm looking for actually.

ANYTHING close to the above description? I've also edited the thread title to broaden the range of recs. We can have the protagonist falling on love with the antagonist and deciding not to finish them off at the last minute or something.

Come now my good people! It's not that rare an occurrence is it? I'll post some Hollywood examples. Happens in those all the time.
k0k0Dec 16, 2010 8:38 AM
Dec 16, 2010 9:35 AM

Feb 2009
Ahh, this is terrible. I really was thinking hard to think of something but this is an extremely hard recommendation, I must admit.

The only thing I can really think of is in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but I really doubt that's what your looking for. Barry the Chopper attempts to slice up Riza Hawkeye and when she manages to fight him off, he falls in love with her... But it is more used as comic relief and only lasts for a few episodes...

Kara no Kyoukai could also qualify, I suppose. The movies are aired out of order (So the 2nd movie is actually the first movie, but you should watch them in airing order instead of in order) but the antagonist is female (She's definitely not wimpy though, so it may work. I mean, in movie 2, she's a raging psychopath) and she falls in love with the good guy, I think it's something you may like. The first movie is basically all action though, so you have to get past that. And later on, she really isn't a "bad guy" anymore... But I really do highly recommend these movies to you (There are 7).
Dec 16, 2010 11:25 AM

Feb 2010
There's also Max and Miriya from Macross and Macross 7.
It may be pre-21 century, but it's a classic.
Kojiro_SDec 16, 2010 12:41 PM
Ku ku ku~
Dec 16, 2010 1:17 PM

Aug 2009
Kipcha said:
Ahh, this is terrible.

I know. T_T
I don't think I've asked for the impossible but I shouldn't have compared Hollywood to anime.

I do plan to watch FMA later but Kara no Kyoukai piqued my interest. Hmm, I am liking how you described the romance part. And more the action, better it is!
I guess Kara no Kyoukai is my best bet as of now. Prioritized.
Thank you!

Kojiro_S said:

Really? Well I've taken a liking to Macross Frontier so I just might watch those two though I doubt it's the material I want. Thanks though Kojiro!

OK, Kara no Kyoukai series come close. I'm still open to other recs though I doubt any more will be coming given the difficulty of the recommendation. Keeping hope.
Dec 16, 2010 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
possibly gundam 08th ms team.
Dec 16, 2010 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure if you'd be interested in it, but there's Kaiba.

The only other ones I can think of are Magic Knight Rayearth and Princess Tutu, but they're shojo (even if they aren't the kind you're talking about) and don't fit quite as well.

Then there's Gankutsuou, which more or less fits what you want except it's more of a deep friendship then love (though I guess you can interpret it however you want if you're really into slash and all *shrugs*).
Dec 16, 2010 2:32 PM

Jul 2010
Kojiro_S said:

This.
jpem said:
possibly gundam 08th ms team.

And this. Well, actually, most Gundam series does.
Dec 16, 2010 3:13 PM

Aug 2009
@jpem and Redsuisei
Gundam you both say? Well like I said I'm not that keen on old school but it's kind of true that Gundam has those types of relationships. As well as Macross. 08th MS actually doesn't look so old. I'll look more into them.
Thankyou jp and Redsuisei!

@memeki
Haha I Kaiba looks so unique. But yes, not really my thing. Nor those shoujos either. But hey, Gankutsuou. Does it really have a similar relationship? Well, if not love, then friendship is better. Gankutsuou prioritized. Thankyou!
Dec 16, 2010 4:08 PM

Dec 2009
k0k0 said:
@jpem and Redsuisei
Gundam you both say? Well like I said I'm not that keen on old school but it's kind of true that Gundam has those types of relationships. As well as Macross. 08th MS actually doesn't look so old. I'll look more into them.
Thankyou jp and Redsuisei!

@memeki
Haha I Kaiba looks so unique. But yes, not really my thing. Nor those shoujos either. But hey, Gankutsuou. Does it really have a similar relationship? Well, if not love, then friendship is better. Gankutsuou prioritized. Thankyou!

Do NOT miss out on Kaiba solely based on how to looks, it's too good of a show for that.

(I'm sorry if I misunderstood you)
Dec 16, 2010 5:16 PM

Jul 2008
Well, as far as I can remember nothing perfectly fits, but here may be some close enough and also simply worth watching in general.

Chrno Crusade: You have this on your ptw, it does start out seeming a bit silly, but it certainly gets very intense as it goes along. There are a number of situations that you might find are close to what you're looking for regarding several different characters relationships and personal histories. Plenty of action and tragedy.

Scrapped Princess: Another one that starts out with a bit of a silly tone, but ends up quite intense. The main character is a princess who was supposed to have been murdered at birth due to a prophecy that she would start the apocalypse, and the relationship which might interest you are some of the characters who end up being the companions of the girl don't realize who she is, and only later discover that she's someone they are want to/ are supposed to kill.

Ergo Proxy: Great action, awesome graphics, and the main female character ends up in a situation with the male lead where it's kind of like "who/what the hell is this guy, I think he did these horrible things, I should probably kill him...but I'm too curious, so I'll kill him later" and it builds from there

Sci Fi Harry: This one has a strange art style, but the story is fairly compelling. There is certainly a situation in which various characters go through dilemmas regarding their feelings for one another despite their affiliation.

Shangri-La: Another one where people on two different sides end up falling for one another, or becoming good friends and a lot of strange supernatural stuff, tragedy, and action happens

Tatakau Shisho: Book of Bantorra - Who's good, who's bad, who's sincere, who's going to do what to who? This one's pacing was a bit fas, it sincerely deserved several more seasons, but everyone was all over the place in this one and plenty of it revolved and heavily effected various friendships and relationships.

Noir: Essentially the relationship is a sort of partnership/friendship, two women meet up when they discover that they have a connection to one another that they don't fully understand. Being that one is a professional assassin who's identity is not supposed to be known, she promises she will kill the other after they find out what the connection is. Despite this a friendship flourishes... too late as they descend to find answers darker and more sinister than either could have imagined...
ShizuruDec 16, 2010 5:26 PM
Dec 16, 2010 5:48 PM

Aug 2010
Death Note. Not everyone can see it but there is a lot of love in this anime. I'm not Yaoi fanboy but Light and L ♥.
Dec 16, 2010 6:30 PM

May 2009
Basilisk

this is for sure what you are looking for.

also blood+ the series.

a event you pretty much described happens in both, where it tied into the storyline.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Dec 16, 2010 6:42 PM

Jul 2010
Phantom requiem fits and it doesen't fit and it fits..

It has..Different moments..And ...Stuff..

I think you'd enjoy it, to be honest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Dec 16, 2010 6:42 PM

Jul 2010
Phantom requiem fits and it doesen't fit and it fits..

It has..Different moments..And ...Stuff..

I think you'd enjoy it, to be honest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Dec 16, 2010 7:12 PM

Aug 2009
@Mr.Tall
It's quite alright. I'll look into Kaiba too.

@KeiranShikari
I've already seen Death Note. =)
And err ... I'd rather it be a boy and a girl.
Thanks.

@ange10
Yes, I've decided on Basilisk. Seen Blood+ already. Thanks though!

@NotSoEpicMuffins
Actually I've been holding off PR because I've been spoiled on it. But if you say it has 'moments' then I should get along with it. Thanks!

@Shizuru
Wow, those are really helpful recommendations. Thank you so much for giving me a bit of background on each.
Ergo proxy prioritized! Scrapped Princess really caught my eye though. Added to PtW.
Book of Bantorra sounds interesting even if it doesn't seem to fit the description.
Thanks a lot! That really was helpful. =)

Well then, I guess no series perfectly matches but I've got a handful of some to try. Response highly appreciated everyone.
If I come across anymore I'll add them here.
Dec 16, 2010 7:38 PM

Jul 2008
k0k0 said:

@Shizuru
Book of Bantorra sounds interesting even if it doesn't seem to fit the description.
Thanks a lot! That really was helpful. =)

No problem, and Book of Bantorra probably does have quite a bit of what you're looking for, its just really hard to explain.

There's a fairly large cast, and the relationships are really complicated.

There's the mysterious blood thirsty quasi-psychotic leader (who has an ex-lover as a suboordinate, and the other suboordinates who all have very strong emotions regarding her), there are unrequieted or unfulfilled loves that have strange twists due to circumstances, and a lot of switching sides due to personal feelings, unlikely friendships, various mysterious organizations who's intentions and motives aren't 100% clear etc...

It's just is really difficult to explain because good and bad, protagonist and antagonist is not clear through most of the show, only hinted at as the various mysteries unfold.
Dec 16, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2009
Now that's what I call an engaging plot. Thanks once again Shizuru!
Dec 17, 2010 2:16 AM

Aug 2007
Kooo kooooo

You have to read this because it's epic, ok? :) :) :)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2430922/1/Loophole
Dec 17, 2010 6:26 PM

Aug 2009
You could try black cat it's on your PTW...
Dec 22, 2014 5:25 AM
Aug 2013
This is reeeaallly late, but I was just looking for the same thing! Another anime you might wanna have a look at is Legend of Basara. (Adventure, Action, Romance, set in some alternate history)

Male lead (antag-ish) and female lead (protag) fall in love without knowing they're enemies, both out to kill each other for revenge/duty... the ending's great too - it's just like what you said for the couple to have a change of heart to kill each other xD
(that is if you read the manga, sadly the anime didn't get a 2nd season or anything so it doesn't tell the whole story >3< still the manga is great, and it's not fluffy at all :)
If you do try watching/reading it, don't get put out by the art (like I did v.v), it's got a good story
Dec 22, 2014 5:49 AM

Oct 2014
Akame ga kill?

Tatsumi and Esdeath I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2014
k0k0 said:
An anime where the villain falls in love (not instantaneously) with another character in the series who's on the 'good side'. The 'good' character may not necessarily be the lead but it's preferred if they are the main protagonist.

Please realize that I'm not asking for some random shoujo where there's a bitch/delinquent who are the 'bad' person and their 'good' counterparts start off hating each other but later fall in love.
The type of love I want may most probably be found in an action/adventure/fantasy/apocalyptic anime.

No Shoujos. =)

Picture this:
The 'good' person and the 'bad' person are mortal enemies and are supposed to fight to death. And then, due to some unexpected turn of events or spontaneous realizations the villain holds back, unable to fight because they've somehow fallen in love with the other.

Bonus points:
> Antagonist is male and Protagonist/Good side character is
female.
> Good action. Good romance.
> Conclusive series
> The less comedy and more intensity the better

I found the idea based off the BlazBlue Videogame series but a loose example would be of Claire 'Vino' and Chane's relationship in Baccano.

Please avoid long shounens and anything before the 21st Century.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ugh, this is hard. I can't think of any. I have probably seen one but I can't remember. Romeo x Juliet perhaps?
Dec 22, 2014 6:45 AM

Dec 2014
I don't know if this fits to your taste but I can only think of Akatsuki no Yona and Romeo x Juliet. I don't know about RxJ but I've seen this being recommended somewhere.
Dec 22, 2014 6:51 AM

Sep 2013
If you're up for a manga, you can't get a much more fitting choice than 'Superior'.
Dec 22, 2014 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe Hataraku Maou-sama!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15809/Hataraku_Maou-sama!

The protagonist (male) is supossed to be the bad guy while the girl is the good side. Kinda fits what you want but the girl is the one who wants to kill him (during the first episodes) but the guy couldn't care less about her plans. They start to like each other as time progresses.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 3 minutes ago

0 by Gfralp »»
3 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

6 by RaiYou »»
52 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
5 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.