Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 11, 2010 12:49 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
*Obvious huge spoilers*

I got the last volume in the mail today and just finished it. I wonder what did everyone else think of the ending? I was afraid of a tragic ending as it seemed that's what they were leading into, but I enjoyed the happy ending (although it took a re-read to realize the time skip). Yay for endings that actually end things!
Dec 11, 2010 12:22 PM
Nov 2010
outlawauron said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
*Obvious huge spoilers*

I got the last volume in the mail today and just finished it. I wonder what did everyone else think of the ending? I was afraid of a tragic ending as it seemed that's what they were leading into, but I enjoyed the happy ending (although it took a re-read to realize the time skip). Yay for endings that actually end things!

ive seen the raw copies of it and abit confused about everything, could you send me a message explaining the last chapter please? :D
Dec 11, 2010 2:27 PM

Sep 2009
Well, wouldn't that be a bit out of context as your list says you dropped it. It's less than $10 on Amazon and has free shipping, not really a huge investment.
Dec 14, 2010 1:29 PM
Nov 2007
I just finished reading it. Such a great series. I was sad about the end as well. But saw it coming since volume 5.

What I love about the series is how much he changed. He's more confident now from when he was at the start. Watching their relationship grow was the best part of the manga. It's gonna be hard to find another romance/drama/comedy manga like this one.
Jan 4, 2011 11:16 AM

Dec 2008
What can I say, I loved Sundome! I finally got to read volume 8 from getting it at Borders yesterday, and it was well worth it. This is such a unique and beautiful story... it'll definitely be hard to come across somethings like this again. My favorite part was Hideo's growth throughout the series,and how Hideo's and Kurumi's relationship progressed, it was beautiful to watch. I was sad, but I still smiled on the way things turned out. :']
Jan 14, 2011 1:41 PM
May 2008
So Kurumi died during her trip with Hideo, and then a time skip occurs. Hideo keeps his promise of becoming a doctor to Kurumi. Hideo marries someone else while retaining his memories of Kurumi, indicated by the lines "thanks for still existing" (in his memories).

That was my interpretation of the ending; but who was the woman that Hideo married?

Anyway, a very enjoyable series albeit a bit long winded. 7-8/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 14, 2011 5:31 PM

Aug 2010
F*****G TEARFUL. Couldn't bring myself to sleep after reading that.
Jan 16, 2011 5:33 AM
Jan 2011
Man i couldnt sleep yesterday, i feel the emptyness in my heart righ now, while reading the 7th vol i knew what was coming, but i thought, nah that cant be at all, but why do i feel like this? like melancholy, man now i realized i love happy endings, maybe in a couple of days i ll be back to normal, poor hideo, he is acting like he is not broken in an emotional way, the girl you love the most is dead and all you could do before her death was jarking off above her, im not gonna read this kind of manga anymore, i just... dont like to feel this way, but i dont regret this manga, this kind of sick love, i love it till the bitter end.
Jan 16, 2011 9:16 PM
Apr 2009
Funny. I sympathize Hideo to the extent of taking it personally when people insult him (you know there's a lot of comments about how people want to punch that wimp in the face etc), though I don't think I would act the way he did in majority of situations. Also I've never been in love. And not to mention I'm not into watersports.
I'll say one thing about the ending - something just died inside of me. Well, it happened a lot throughout the series (humiliation, ntr-like stuff, classmates and parents being assholes), but damn... It doesn't help if you see this coming, not a bit.
jarking off above her

Didn't he actually nail her and come outside? Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to ask her if she's tired. Also he didn't use his hands.
Jan 18, 2011 1:18 AM

Jul 2008
Im somewhat confused with how i should feel about the ending.

I didnt feel sad, they went about her death in such a way that, it didnt feel like she died. im not even sure.

what confused me more was how it wasnt sad right after. I feel if that happened to me, i would have died of severe depression, losing someone that close. a sense of "how could you be happy" "how can you be with another girl"

it ended to well. to smoothly.
Jan 18, 2011 1:28 PM

Sep 2010
Something inside me died...
Jan 20, 2011 9:33 AM
Jan 2011
Well zuttono, if you read the chapter again, she said do you want to jerk off?, and maybe he asked if she´s tired because doing that movement to please hideo must be tiresome, sorry to disappoint you thou. And that metaphor after that scene, i could only imagine those were the ashes that he was throwing away, after she passed away, but if you ask me, i will have keep the ashes, because it means something special to me, i ll go and talk to her once in a while, and that maybe will comfort me somehow.

PD: Sorry for my english, im from cuba.
Jan 22, 2011 7:25 PM

Aug 2010
my thoughts

The ending is a bit confusing, but here is what I think happened.

If you notice between the panels of him in action there are flashbacks/his memories. When Kurumi whispered in his ear she said "Tomorrow when I wake up..." this is actually a memory. The reason I say that is because that statement is finished at the end of the scene when he's holding her, which is "Lets have sex". Yet he was having sex with her at night. He did this because she probably fell really ill and obviously wasn't going to make it to the morning. So I assume she was near death while he was doing her (he can be interpreted as crying here) and she died before he could finish (hence the title of the manga "Sundome"). It also fits in with her promise to him about sex (she knew she wasn't going to make it to the morning, so she was kind of telling him it was okay to do it and still not "letting" him do it.)

One could also assume she died before he started, but I choose to take the hand movements as an indicator of life...

singleturboJan 22, 2011 7:31 PM
Jan 23, 2011 10:27 PM

Jun 2008
If you guys want something like this check out Ciguatera if you haven't already. This manga reminded me of it every step of the way.
Jan 24, 2011 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
for sure a unique story really enjoyed it the ending was a little bit confusing and very sad.
Jan 24, 2011 11:03 PM

Nov 2008
sad ...
Jan 25, 2011 11:30 AM

Oct 2009
Kurumster said:
If you guys want something like this check out Ciguatera if you haven't already. This manga reminded me of it every step of the way.
Exactly my thoughts. Same kind of humor, same bitter ending, except Ciguatera is more realistic.
Feb 4, 2011 3:45 PM

Jul 2009
I'm not sure I really understood the ending. But well, the manga was awesome, so I'm just gonna read it again and again until I do.
Feb 10, 2011 4:46 PM

Sep 2009
The exact fate of Kurumi and who exactly Hideo ended up with isn't completely known. I read it the first time as him marrying Kurumi later. I suppose she may died which makes this have a super sad ending. I dunno, I may choose to live in ignorance on this one.
Feb 25, 2011 2:29 PM

Nov 2009
The ending was a bit confusing, I would of preferred if it was a bit clearer.

The last couple of chapters were really sad. I expected it since the earlier volumes, but it still really got to me.

As for the growth of Hideo, I really liked that part of the manga. At times, sure; he was a bit wimpy, weak-willed, etc; but he really did come through in some situations. The fact that he became stronger and worked out every day proves to me that he really was growing a lot, especially compared to some of the other male characters in a series (kind of) like this. I really loved his growth, and the relationship between himself and Kurumi.
Mar 7, 2011 2:45 AM
Dec 2007
Isn't it obvious that she died? Throughout all the manga, their last moments together were mentioned. While he was having sex with her, she was already dead. Pay attention to how limp she was. And to the title of the manga.

IMO, the fact she apparently died while they were doing it is quite... disturbing, yet acceptable when looking at the content of the manga.

Though I didn't expect the author to show him with another woman. It was kind of making me mad. :D

The ending, although technically sad, is genuinely actually happy ending. I'm so glad I read this.
Mar 7, 2011 2:45 AM
Dec 2007
Isn't it obvious that she died? Throughout all the manga, their last moments together were mentioned. While he was having sex with her, she was already dead. Pay attention to how limp she was. And to the title of the manga.

IMO, the fact she apparently died while they were doing it is quite... disturbing, yet acceptable when looking at the content of the manga.

Though I didn't expect the author to show him with another woman. It was kind of making me mad. :D

The ending, although technically sad, is genuinely actually happy ending. I'm so glad I read this.
Mar 7, 2011 5:07 PM

Oct 2009
Klabautermann said:

I agree with you, but I don't think she died when they were actually doing it, she was just really weak. Not that it matters a lot though, wheter she got a load alive, or dead, it was a token of love either way. But Hideo would kinda go to jail after bringing back a dead Kurumi to the hospital with semen on her body. Or am I underestimating the Roman club? Possibly.

If you liked Sundome, I advise you to also read Ciguatera, there are quite a few similarities between the two.
Mar 8, 2011 4:29 PM

Feb 2009
For the people who read the last volume, Some of you may have caught the MC saying something that comes along these lines:

"For some reason, I really feel that my back is always heavy"

This should give a glimpse to the fact that Sahana is still there, my reference happens to be the climax of a movie called Shutter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKSe0nwQLQ
Mar 22, 2011 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
I actually re-read it a few minutes ago and I noticed that when Hideo says he could jerk off, Kurumi whispers something in his ear. In my opinion, what she whispers is the last line that appears on the chapter (when I wake up, lets have sex). This actually makes sense, because they have sex and it wouldn't be too smart to put that line after they did it, not to mention that it looks like it has quotation marks. This is my theory, at least.
Mar 28, 2011 12:55 PM
May 2008
I hate this series. I hate it so very very much. It's not bad. Quite the opposite.
I saw bad ending comming from the first couple of volumes. And when I doubted or started to have a little hope it crushed it. Again and again. I hate it so much. I need something pink and fluffy right now to ease the pain.
I started to cry when club members offered their help. I stopped some time after I finished reading and then cried some more. And it's very very rare for me. Especially while reading manga.
I hate it.
Mar 29, 2011 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
dammit.... and i was sugar coating my mind, telling that the woman she's with is kurumi... this is why i sometimes hate forums... waaaaaaaaaaah~
Apr 2, 2011 6:07 AM

May 2008
This forum post is handy :o
Apr 13, 2011 10:29 PM
May 2009
i still have some questions, did she have aids or something, if she died before he finished then wouldn't that make him a necrophiliac, and why such a sad ending?
Apr 18, 2011 11:09 PM
Jan 2008
At first I thought it was Kurumi at the end, but then I noticed a mole on the woman's face. The whole, alum talking to the hospital director about causing problems did sorta add to the notion Kurumi died during that expedition.

I have no idea what exactly happened though...so did they have sex or was that a dream too? Hideo is a resident still talking to that alum so I assume he didn't have sex with her.
Apr 19, 2011 10:19 PM

Sep 2008
I've never found my self rereading the end of something HOPING I missed something. Some sort of context clue, anything that would have made the outcome seem different than what it was. This seriously got me in a rather deep way. Definately one of the most depressing endings I've every read in a story, but also one of the best. Goes to show a happy ending doesn't have to be all rainbows and candy.

I think the moment that got to me the most in this story was when she was suffocating him till he passed out and he had really figured out that she was going to die then. He hoped she would take him with her and she tells him that she won't.

As for the people saying they were having sex, no they weren't. She was giving him a hand job. Which also covers the part where people think she was dead for those panels.

For the people asking what it was, it was never confirmed but in all likely hood it was AIDs. Excessive nosebleeds, severe pain, loss of hair, and her refusal to have intercourse with him all point to it. The only things that point away from that theory is the fact he licked her blood while it was still rather fresh and was drinking her pee.
Apr 25, 2011 9:31 PM
Apr 2011
To be honest, I made this account to talk about this manga, because I can't really talk about this kind of stuff with people I know in real life, except I feel better if I tell a bunch of strangers throughout the Internet... That is so weird... Anyway, I have to be honest again when I say, " I started to tear up in the last few chapters of this manga. I was also expecting a tragic ending, and I was somewhat hopeful to read what really happened but I'm also glad they made a happy ending. This manga made me realize that, I want to meet a person like Kurumi Sahana, and be in the situation Hideo was in. Not as extreme as to having the one i love terminally ill, but i just seemed to like their relationship, and I'm not into domination and stuff like that. Does that make me seem weird? And don't troll me because of this, because if you've read the manga and if you've read this far into the story, you probably have some empathy for what I'm saying.:/ well I felt I had to get that off my chest. And anyone who agrees that, there needs to be more of this series, I'd like to know what others think.
Apr 25, 2011 9:32 PM
Apr 2011
To be honest, I made this account to talk about this manga, because I can't really talk about this kind of stuff with people I know in real life, except I feel better if I tell a bunch of strangers throughout the Internet... That is so weird... Anyway, I have to be honest again when I say, " I started to tear up in the last few chapters of this manga. I was also expecting a tragic ending, and I was somewhat hopeful to read what really happened but I'm also glad they made a happy ending. This manga made me realize that, I want to meet a person like Kurumi Sahana, and be in the situation Hideo was in. Not as extreme as to having the one i love terminally ill, but i just seemed to like their relationship, and I'm not into domination and stuff like that. Does that make me seem weird? And don't troll me because of this, because if you've read the manga and if you've read this far into the story, you probably have some empathy for what I'm saying.:/ well I felt I had to get that off my chest. And anyone who agrees that, there needs to be more of this series, I'd like to know what others think.
Apr 25, 2011 9:56 PM
Apr 2011
Hanaji said:
For the people who read the last volume, Some of you may have caught the MC saying something that comes along these lines:

"For some reason, I really feel that my back is always heavy"

This should give a glimpse to the fact that Sahana is still there, my reference happens to be the climax of a movie called Shutter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKSe0nwQLQ

Yes I understand!! I re-read the manga and Hideo Aiba says "when my head starts to hang,... If I tighten it here like this, it feels like this part here's being pulled." let me explain for some who don't understand.. When his head hangs, like in the shutter reference, there is Sahana sitting on his shoulders. When he tightens his neck and tries to straighten it out, he points to his chin and says it feels it is being pulled. Imagine if your sitting on someone's shoulders and they stand up as straight as they can... You try to grab onto something to prevent from falling right? the only thing available is the chin. OooOoOoOoO that is sorta creepy! But an awesome reference. Thank you OP for enlightening me and showing me the reference. I think Okada Kazuto is a good writer and I would like to see more of this series. Maybe after Katsun's wedding, some incidences start to arise, I just don't know what though, maybe Hideo will hallucinate and start seeing Sahana! maybe....
Apr 26, 2011 3:04 PM

Sep 2008
I'd be happy with another story about a Roman Club. Similar yet different story would be fine, just keep the writing style the same.
Apr 28, 2011 11:56 AM
Apr 2011
This manga will sit in my gut for days -very powerful stuff. I found myself wandering the net trying to get a handle on the feelings that this story welled up and found a review at animeworld very insightful and mirrored many of my thought and feeling of the story. http://blog.animeworld.com/tag/sundome/

Along the lines of animeworld blog, I see the ending scene on pages 14 through 22 (where Aiba is at the beach with Sahana) as not chronological but flashbacks while Aiba having sex with her lifeless body (whether she died during to the act is upto debate). It is not emotionally satisfying; however, the interpretation makes sense from Aiba's character arc, as the entire story pushed the fact that he "belonging to her and desiring her completely no matter what condition she was in".

Anyone else find the blogs rant useful in their understanding/interpretation?

edited for emphasis -dbcold
dbColdApr 28, 2011 12:09 PM
May 2, 2011 1:38 AM

Feb 2008
I think that the last moments with Sahana, Aiba was still a virgin. While they were lying together at the beach, when Aiba came, he came on her, not in her, with the high possibly of no penetration. This could also lead to Sahana's "When I wake up let's have sex." But she doesn't (;´д` ) and so he remains a cherry.

If you notice, after the time skip, Aiba is working in the hospital with the OB director. It seems that he stayed a promised virgin for his high school years and was able to use the "backing of the OB" to fulfill his dream.
May 2, 2011 6:31 AM
Apr 2011
cowgirled763 said:
I think that the last moments with Sahana, Aiba was still a virgin. While they were lying together at the beach, when Aiba came, he came on her, not in her, with the high possibly of no penetration. This could also lead to Sahana's "When I wake up let's have sex." *snip*

Cowgirl, I appreciate your interpretation. I have mulled over that last scene for some time and never achieved closure with other interpretations (or mine for that matter) but your fulfills that nicely...no, beautifully.

The biggest issue I had with the ending scenes was a matter of consent; throughout the chapters Aiba and Sahana relationship was always consensual. So for him to have intercourse or even sexual intimacy with her lifeless body either during or after (as other blog sites have suggested *shudders*) made the ending too violent -breaching their relationship rules (or more aptly "collars") of consent. But yours is elegant, I now can view the intimacy scenes as them sharing a last embrace with Sahana being very weak but not yet passed on.

Thanks ^^
dbColdMay 2, 2011 7:15 AM
May 22, 2011 12:48 PM

Jan 2011
I saw this coming, but I did not realize how empty I would feel after finishing this. Wow. I mean damn. The girl of his dreams that helped him grow into a man and let loose and accept him for all his fetishes dies. So fucking sad. Rage!
Be humble or be humbled.
May 27, 2011 11:52 AM
May 2011
So she did die right?
May 27, 2011 3:05 PM

May 2011
NLeee said:
So she did die right?

isnt it obvious?
She was bleeding heavily and was hospitalized. she did die.
May 27, 2011 4:19 PM
May 2011
isnt wasnt that obvious

i mean i was pretty sure it happen but wasnt sure
May 27, 2011 7:50 PM

May 2011
NLeee said:
isnt wasnt that obvious

i mean i was pretty sure it happen but wasnt sure

There were alot of Tells that basically gave it away that she had a terminal condition and was constantly bleeding and was in pain. But i know what you mean, it was hard to tell if she was dead in the last chapter.
Jun 17, 2011 3:57 PM
Dec 2010
I find it ironic that he got a girl that looks almost exactly like Sahana, with the only different being her mole and her tits.

Someone suggested that he wasn't having intercourse with her, but was just giving him a handjob in the flashback. If you look at the end of the scene, both of her hands are pinned back, so that'd be impossible. It was either a form of intercrural, or actual sex.

Of course if she actually had AIDS then he probably didn't have sex with her, but if she didn't then it's all up to interpretation. Personally, it looked like he had sex with her dead body after they both knew she wouldn't wake up. This could also explain his impotence with his new partner. After finally having a taste, but only one, of actual sex with Sahana, nothing could compare or do it for him.

Either way, it's a bittersweet story.
Jun 21, 2011 4:29 PM
Oct 2009
Wow I can see I'm amonst fellow fans here by the reaction you all have! This manga and Kurumi Shahana will always have a place in my heart. The sad end we all kind new was coming is very stark in this book anyone notice the plain black chapter dividers and when Hideo meets the Doctor in his car he says that she send her limited time with him to bring or disappoint bring him. I think when she said" when I wake up lets have sex" see didn't wake hence the end chapter Sundome. It makes my sad to think about it it must have been a bloody good story if it can make you feel like that mustn't it.

One thing I didn't understand when they were on the train going Kurumi looking out of the window for three panels but who is the woman saying she's back and why(how) can she smell Kurumi? What does it mean, is a reference to Kumuri been an alien perhaps after all that? It would be funny to think that with members of the Roman standing only feet away from her doing the human radar
Jun 21, 2011 7:39 PM

Oct 2009
slipinside said:
One thing I didn't understand when they were on the train going Kurumi looking out of the window for three panels but who is the woman saying she's back and why(how) can she smell Kurumi? What does it mean, is a reference to Kumuri been an alien perhaps after all that? It would be funny to think that with members of the Roman standing only feet away from her doing the human radar
The seemingly random people in that train scene supposedly denizens of the orphan home where Sahana came from. Or something of that sort. The mangaka didn't reveal much about her past after all, but it's probably better that way. It leaves a nicer memory of Sahana and ground for speculation.
Jun 24, 2011 4:52 PM

Jan 2010
I hate this manga... really. How shoud I fall asleep now (almost 2 a.m.). It was the saddest "happy" ending I've ever read and author didn't explain almost nothing about her past and illnes. Really! How could he!? But I agree with that...
mwp said:
It leaves a nicer memory of Sahana and ground for speculation.

It's true, it's sad but it was obviously his purpose..

Isn't it scary when you know what will happen and step by step, really slowly, you are near to "it" and when "it" happen you realize it after re-read cause you hope that she somehow survived. You're just hoping that you'll find something...

Well that's all. It was really awesome but even though i hate it. You probably know why :)
Jun 24, 2011 7:29 PM
May 2011
subby187 said:
outlawauron said:
*Obvious huge spoilers*

ive seen the raw copies of it and abit confused about everything, could you send me a message explaining the last chapter please? :D

From what I read, he took her to the seaside after escaping from the hospital with her and she died. Then they show later on where he is working as a resident in a hospital with the older guy/doctor from before. We see that he's married and apparently his wife has the same interests as Kurumi. It appears that her "ghost/spirit" is with him also.

If you read the last page, last row you will see:
Aiba: Hey
Kurumi (Ghost form - invisible): Yeah?
Aiba: On second thought
Aiba: About that golden shower...
Jul 8, 2011 4:32 PM

Jan 2010
FUCKING BITTER SWEET ENDINGS T_T PISS ME OFF.. Why Kurumi whyyy god damnit. I fucking hate/love shit like this. Fucking mangaka had to kill her T_T....The mangaka just HAD to end it like that... GOD DAMN. I was very surprised to see Hideo without that much emotion, like breaking down and just bawling his eyes out. I mean, this was the guy who cried at the slightest hint of Kurumi leaving him, and I didn't see that many emotions out of him
Jul 10, 2011 11:40 AM
Jan 2011
d4n13lr0x He changed what were you expecting, I agree with the decision of the mangaka but speculations will always be speculations, and for the sake of all the readers he need to reveal what really happened.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What to read that is similar to Sundome?

Elpato891 - Mar 16, 2018

8 by Toranagii »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:57 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 72 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Jul 8, 2012

4 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 71 Discussion

3 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 68 Discussion

Explicitz - May 27, 2011

9 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:10 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 67 Discussion

5 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.