MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Questions, theories and facts (spoilers & pic heavy)
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho :: Fanclub »» Questions, theories and facts (spoilers & pic heavy)

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
08-05-10, 6:16 PM

Because Tokyo Majin is a rather large franchise, and the anime especially left a lot of loose ends and open-ended stories, I figured I would start a thread for us all to post our ponderings and questions.

I'll start with something pretty basic: At the end of season two, Raito Umon says something quite curious. In his final scene, he tells Rasetsu to watch over his guitar, and that he'd be "on tour" for awhile longer.

Here is his parting harmony shot:

I guess he knows, too, the battle isn't over... but where do you suppose he felt compelled to go? I assumed he left Tokyo to find Tatsuma, because throughout the series he seemed thoughtfully mindful of the softness in Tatsuma, and the boy's willingness to protect, not kill. Although I must say, the crow makes it look rather malicious... Opinions?
Modified by hlwar, 01-08-11, 3:50 PM

08-05-10, 6:32 PM

I was wondering if anybody had any theories on Maria Alucard's back-story? Hers was always kinda confusing, and pointless in the grand scheme of the show. I was thinking since most of the characters in Kenpuchou are descendants of those in the Gehouchou videogame, is it possible she is related or based on Miuyu Hinokami? I read Miuyu gets possessed by a spirit, called Pucelle, claiming to be Joan of Arc. Alucard-sensei is shown to have a European aristocrat background, and she always wears a cross necklace, so...

Here are screen captures that I'm basing my reasoning on. Be forewarned, it gets graphic behind the button:
Modified by hlwar, 03-15-11, 11:24 PM

08-05-10, 6:58 PM

Oh, here's something fun! In the Gakkyuu Nisshi radio dramas, there is a track called Claire - Strawberries and Ramen and You in which Marie Claire has a dream that she's a poor, struggling single girl with a lot of misfortune. Her savior is of course Tatsuma. However, she does not understand a single word he says, so Claire dubs him her "Strawberry Prince" (Ichigo no Oujisama).

Why does she not understand him? Because he is speaking Korean! I watch Korean movies and saeguk (historical) TV dramas, but it took me awhile to pick up on the language change since darling seiyuu Hiro Shimono isn't that good with it. Finally though I heard him greet Claire, in which Tatsuma says in a sing-song way: 안녕하세요~ (Annyeong haseyo~)

Now I had seen a Japanese review for this drama before I heard it myself, and at the time I was baffled because the reviewer mentioned South Korean heart-throb Bae Yong-joon (or Yon-sama as his Japanese fans call him). Putting this altogether, I recalled this teacher at Magami Academy:

Does he not remind you of Bae Yong-joon from Winter Sonata? So crazy! Is there some kind of inside joke going on? o_O

08-11-10, 4:14 PM

Does anybody know if Chaos is featured in the videogame? I don't remember reading about such a character, but if he is, what's his role?

He is in the manga, and is very mysterious. In the manga his name is strictly Kaosu (過王須) and I'm under the impression it is meant to be read Kaosu (not as Chaos) because it is sometimes broken down using the hiragana かおす; however other times it is broken down with katakana, which confuses me, since my Japanese is so poor.

In the anime, he is given the name of Ryuuji Yashiro (耶之路龍治) and thus Wikipedia states that Ryuuji is an anime-only character. His nickname is always written out with katakana カオス which does make it the borrowed English word Chaos. We know this, too, from the Chaos Game written in English on their cellphones in the anime.

But then the other day I happened to notice this manga throw-back in the anime:

Makes me go (O_o), this character's background. I wonder, is manga-Chaos meant to be Chinese? Is that why the manga ends with Kyouichi boarding a plane to China?

I know nothing of the Chinese language, so I had to use an online translator to get: Guò Wáng Xū from the manga kanji. Which intrigued me, because if you think Wáng-xū is his first name (Asian order) than it loosely means "Necessary King". Just to think how Yagyuu treats Kaosu in the manga, it seemed approperiate...

Yeah, I over-think things.

12-17-10, 9:01 PM

Hi hlwar! You make some interesting observations - after watching this show a few times, I also thought of some moments where I just sat there, scratching my head - especially with Maria's sidestory going on. My first impression was also a Joan of Arc thing, with people dying on stakes and the feel of the period I felt the show was representing. I did not understand the last screen capture either - some anachronistic stuff going on there? What's with the vintage clothing, but the modern day oxygen mask?

Raito! Love him! I thought of two reasons for his leavetaking: either he also went to help find Tatsuma, or maybe help the survivors rebuild Tokyo, ya know, since he contributed to the mess. ;) And the crow I think is actually a good thing, since his friend was represented by one and perhaps Raito is comforted or getting support from his friend from beyond thru the crow.

The Chinese-vibe is interesting, because in the anime, how did Kyouichi figure out that Tatsuma was headed to China? That always baffled me.

Your brainstorming is stellar! Hahaha keep it up.

12-25-10, 1:26 PM

Hi JuniorMintKiss! Thanks for reading my rambling, and I'm glad you actually enjoyed all the random musings. ;)

With Maria's last screen capture, it shows her in Dr. Iwayama's hospital after being attacked by the detectives, during the time Aoi's Bosatsu-gan powers call back the spirits of their loved ones, to face Yagyuu. Hence the modern-day oxygen mask. I chose that particular still because I'm assuming the spirits standing in the background are her parents - and it gives hints to the era she was actually born in.

Yeah, I agree about the crow on Raito's shoulder; I think it's symbolic of Ryouichi and their band, but with no real plot implications. I never really thought about his just leaving to help Tokyo, but I don't know if he would leave Rasetsu behind for that... To me, that meant he was expecting danger, and didn't want to involve her anymore.

The anime does draw from Chinese Taoism, so the whole Chinese-vibe is made apparent at different times. I still don't get much of it, either. o_O Like in episode one, where Kyouichi is the "aniki" to those three Chinese thugs, Old Man Yang, Wang and Fan. I don't know anything about Shinjuku, and have never been to Japan, but does Tokyo have China Towns? Explains Kyouichi's favored Chinese Ramen shop, too. *shrugs*

I was under the impression that Kyouichi knew Tatsuma was following Yagyuu to China from his vision of Tatsuma under the sakura tree. In other words, a showcase of their strong connection, and Tatsuma kinda saying goodbye. What do you think?

12-28-10, 12:25 AM

Well, I had many questions that were left untold after I finished the anime. Believeing that Kyouichi and Hisuragi went to find Tatsuma on their own in China like they said. What would happen to Claude, Claire, Daigo, and Hisuragi since they all had that strange glow signifying that they had the demons inside of them. I assume they died, correct?

But why not Hisuragi? Unless my assumption was inccorect there. I believe that Inugaami, er...the carrot man(nickname ^^), he said in the anime to Maria that he had made a promise on his lifestyle. To whom did he make a promise to and why? I can't figure that out. I still have thousands of things I want to say, but my head is hurting from thinking of all the things.

But your answer to Lightning head, well...I believe your right. I think he knew all about it and decided to go find Tatsuma as well. Maybe, if they continued the show, it would have shown him, Kyouichi, and Hisuragi fighting alongside eachother. >< Maybe...
Huh? What?! A zoo? A world zoo?! Do not touch or feed the nations?! ~ Spain, Hetaoni

12-28-10, 1:26 PM

hlwar said:
With Maria's last screen capture, it shows her in Dr. Iwayama's hospital after being attacked by the detectives, during the time Aoi's Bosatsu-gan powers call back the spirits of their loved ones, to face Yagyuu. Hence the modern-day oxygen mask. I chose that particular still because I'm assuming the spirits standing in the background are her parents - and it gives hints to the era she was actually born in.

Oh see, I didn't know that she was at Dr. Iwayama's hospital and I didn't make the connection with Yagyuu and Aoi's powers and Maria's parents' spirits. That makes more sense now. BTB, I am watching this show again with my new surround sound I got for Christmas! And I can't believe the sounds and images I didn't pick up before. It's actually made me pick up more snippets in the show. W00T!

hlwar said:
Like in episode one, where Kyouichi is the "aniki" to those three Chinese thugs, Old Man Yang, Wang and Fan. I don't know anything about Shinjuku, and have never been to Japan, but does Tokyo have China Towns? Explains Kyouichi's favored Chinese Ramen shop, too. *shrugs*

Ya, I never got that either - how a high school student is Old Man Yang's "boss".

hlwar said:
I was under the impression that Kyouichi knew Tatsuma was following Yagyuu to China from his vision of Tatsuma under the sakura tree.

When did Kyouichi have a vision about Tatsuma? Wow - I really missed that one!

12-29-10, 2:57 PM

Hi Cross_Snow! Thanks for joining the conversations!! First of all, may I just say your combination of Hisui Kisaragi's name is adorable (Hisuragi) - it could be his new fangirl nickname. (LOL)

As for the Vessels of the Four Gods, Ryuuzan Arai did give hints that the human body was too frail to hold the powers of the deities, and therefore was suggesting that Daigo, Kisaragi, Claire and Alan might all become gravely ill after the Gods awakened - enough to die. Will we ever know for certain? Probably not. I guess each fan can speculate as they see fit...

There were some fans suggesting that Kisaragi was not showing side effects of Genbu's awakening because his connection to the Golden Dragon was cut off, quite literally, when Tatsuma lost his left hand in battle. If you'll recall, when Aoi's powers resurrected the dead, Tendou kinda gifted a hand to Tatsuma, and the birthmark was replaced with the Kodzunu tattoo.

I personally don't buy this theory. Just because Tatsuma's human body lost a hand does not mean Genbu was no longer housed in Kisaragi; and as long as both Genbu and the Golden Dragon existed, they'd be connected. I think Kisaragi, as always, wouldn't allow himself to externally show his pains and suffering. That's all.

Ahh, here we go with the videogame throwbacks! ;) To answer your query on Inugami, he is actually an inugami (a dog-spirit) and was raised in the Edo period; he is also in the prequel videogame Gehouchou. He cannot leave the Magami school grounds because he is spiritually bound by his promise to his Master to protect the old school building (the broken down building where the Sadako/Ju-on like demon rises in episode two).

His Master to whom he made the promise is Magami founder Yuri Tokizusa, the woman who created the supernatural school during the Bakumatsu to battle the demonic forces fighting the Shogunate. Yuri Tokizusa is also the spirit who has been calling out to Tatsuma and is the ghost he meets in the final omake (the Romeo and Juliette episode).

After I read all about this, I actually got teary-eyed when I saw that omake for the second time. I loved when Tatsuma went to Inugami with Yuri's message, when she said "I'm sorry, and thank you." The sorry part got me because if you read how an inugami is created - how Yuri created Inugami himself - it's really distrubing and grossly sad... (read here). Somehow "sorry" doesn't seem like enough, poor guy. :(

Yay JuniorMintKiss for rewatching, and for the new surround sound!! :D Lucky duck! All I got for Christmas was a fleece blanket for my bed. Heehee~

Anyway, I guess Kyouichi must have beaten up Old Man Yang's boys during one of his rampages in middle school, like how he got Azumabashi and his boys under him. Kyouichi woulda made a good Yakuza! (LOL)

There's actually multiple showcases that Kyouichi might be connected to Tatsuma as well, whether a show of their true friendship or just by sharing the same Dragon Vein power, who knows. But at the end, we see Tatsuma and Yagyuu battling (the "Cherry blossom that does not fall" moment) and it instantly flashes to Kyouichi standing under the sakura tree, thinking. He muses to himself, "Would I just get in the way?" and then tells Aoi he knows Tatsuma is in China.

It's the same with his other vision while in China, with the falling sakura petals. And also in the Prayer OP, where it shows Kyouichi chasing after Tatsuma, and finding him (but not actually reaching him) under the sakura tree. I think all this symbolizes the same thing, sorta. *shrugs*

Modified by hlwar, 12-29-10, 4:27 PM

12-29-10, 6:53 PM

Thanks! I liked the name Hisuragi for him. ^_-
And I never thought of it that way, I had wondered why Tendou gave Tatsuma his left hand during the battle. But that sort of makes since the way you put it.
Poor Inugami. ): I didn't know that was his life style and that sure does explain the lady who kept calling to Tatsuma.

Oh yeah, I also don't really understand why Tatsuma's hair turned white. Was it because of his new power? Can his body not handle the Golden Dragon like the other four?
Huh? What?! A zoo? A world zoo?! Do not touch or feed the nations?! ~ Spain, Hetaoni

12-29-10, 7:06 PM

hlwar said:
Anyway, I guess Kyouichi must have beaten up Old Man Yang's boys during one of his rampages in middle school, like how he got Azumabashi and his boys under him. Kyouichi woulda made a good Yakuza! (LOL)

Well, after going through my screen caps, I found out that what I mentioned before was precisely what he did; there's a scene in the first omake that shows Kyouichi beating up Yang's notorious "Three Wise Men" group:

I guess all the well-meaning thugs respected his iron-fist and self-righteousness to keep order in their little nook of the criminal underworld.

And I'm still not sure about Chinatown, but I just read the following at a travel wiki, which says a lot about Kyouichi's upbringing and Club Diva:

The Kabukichō (歌舞伎町) district is Tokyo's most notorious red-light district - although during the daytime you might not even notice, especially if you can't decode the elaborate Japanese codewords on the billboards. At night it's a different story though, as sharkskin-suited junior yakuza gangsters hustle and girls in miniskirts beckon customers amid the adults-only vending machines. Night or day, it's always packed with people, and until recently quite a bit of gangland violence went on in the vicinity (though at any rate outsiders are generally not involved).

To the south of Kabuki-cho is Shinjuku ni-chome (新宿2丁目), Tokyo's largest gay district.
Modified by hlwar, 12-29-10, 11:19 PM

12-29-10, 11:13 PM

Cross_Snow, yeah, Tendou hated Yagyuu too, so I think renewing Tatsuma's hand was not only his gift (since he truly was not an evil person) but also his way of saying "screw you" to Yagyuu.

As for Tatsuma's white hair, you're right. It was due to the sudden surge of power that went through his body. I believe that sometimes occurs if a person is struck by lightning, all that momentous voltage. And actually, I think the same thing happened to Tendou. Arai said that Tendou's body had been infused with Dark Arts by whoever granted him his powers, and remember little Manabu originally had brown hair:

So I think extreme power bleached his hair just like Tatsuma. (I'm sure he dyed the red streaks though, to go with his badboy tattoos. ^^)

01-06-11, 6:35 PM

Hmmm...I'm wondering now. When that spirit was called in the begining of the anime...was that when the four deities were decided or was that previously? Or was that just for the stars of fate who fight alongside like Kyouichi and Lightning head?

01-06-11, 8:22 PM

Um, you're talking about when the Sadako-esque spirit attacked the Magami five, right? That was when Tendou and Yagyuu broke the flow in the Dragon Vein, and due to the disruption, it awakened the supernatural powers in everyone who was gifted (so to speak). All magic and monsters aside, this would be like someone discovering they had ESP.

The Vessels were born Vessels, and thereby would have had the Four Gods and the Dragons inside them their whole lives. That's why Tatsuma was born with those birthmarks. And remember Claire was Suzaku, and she was using her fire-powers her whole life.

I really don't get into horoscopes, but every single person is born under a certain star class. And if you believe in horoscopes and such, then your fate would follow the path set by the map of the stars when you were born (like how your blood type can dictate your personality, or so they say). That's what Star of Fate refers to; it's not just something for those with power fighting with the Dragon.

Anyhoo, that's my take. :)

01-07-11, 3:58 PM

Oh! Okay! That sums it up! :D Your really knowledgable in this. ^^ I can't wait till I get to that point. (lol)

I thought thats what happened, but I wasn't quite sure............(8D) uh.....I just forgot what else I was going to say......(XD)

01-08-11, 3:12 PM

Thanks, Cross_Snow! I try. XD

Here's something that had me wondering the very first time I saw the series. In the Magami kids' timeline, 17 years ago others were battling Munetaka Yagyuu, and I wondered: Who's the other guy in this flashback?

It's Ryuuzan Arai holding baby-Tatsuma:

And obviously the man with the bleeding eyes is Doushin Narasaki. He is trying to restrain Tougo Narutaki (Tatsuma's shishou) from saving Genma Hiyuu (not pictured). But... then who is the man holding Tougo's other arm?

My theory? I think it's Kyoushiro Kamui, the ronin who took in Kyouichi. As much as Kyouichi doesn't believe in destiny, I think there was a higher reason as to why he met Kyoushiro. Everything in the Tokyo Majin world works as a wheel, and ultimately the Stars of Fate in the tale, new and old, crossed paths at some point during the war against Yagyuu.

I also wonder why baby-Tatsuma was present for the epic battle to seal Yagyuu and his powers? Could it be because Yagyuu was trying to steal away (or kill) the Vessel of the Golden Dragon? That might explain why Tatsuma's father was so willing to give his life...

01-11-11, 6:16 AM

I knew it! I had my suspicions about Kyoushiro! And the first time I saw him I thought it was Kyouichi's father, but that apparently wasn't true after I saw the extra episode. Walk On Child. Maybe that was true, actually, I believe the theory is correct. The more information we gain it seems, the more we are to figuring out the truth! The ending. :D

01-12-11, 5:24 PM

Oh wow! I was reading a character list for the videogame Tokyo Majin Gakuen Oboro-Kitan and it seems my theory above was correct - it is Kyoushiro Kamui. He's featured in that game along with Tougo and Tatsuma Hiyuu's real parents.

Although it was in Japanese and my reading is basic, I've learned a few things that make some theories a little clearer. It seems Genma Hiyuu (緋勇弦麻) meets the same end in the game's story, and it keeps mentioning China's Hakka (中国の「客家」). It seems like the Hakka group is led by Yagyuu, whom Genma dies fighting against. This would explain why Yagyuu flees to China at the end of the anime.

I was really surprised, however, to read about Hiyuu-kun's real mother. Kayo Hiyuu (緋勇迦代) also had the power of the Bodhisattva Eye, born under the same Star of Fate as Aoi Misato. She died giving birth to Tatsuma, the Vessel of the Golden Dragon; it almost seemed like it was an exchange of powers.

That's pretty revealing stuff!

03-18-11, 4:13 PM

It's been quiet around here lately, so I thought I would share some information from the Japanese wikipedia regarding Kodzunu's Kidou-shuu (鬼道衆) or what they dubbed in English as the Demoniacal Horde.

The Horns

In the anime, they make it seem like these five demons are all of the existing Kidou-shuu. However, in the manga and game, the Kidou-shuu is more like a cult and has a mass following. While the Kidou-shuu five leaders and Kodzunu do transform many followers into monsters (as in the anime), it seems like most of the people are already loyal members of the cult and use the Dark Arts.

And in case anyone was wondering why I spell it "Kodzunu":
Since the videogame's release in 1998, his name has always been romanized differently in the English-speaking fandoms. I've seen "Kodunu" a few times, but mostly everyone wrote it "Kozune" (the norm when the anime came out) or "Kodzuno". I even had to ask someone when I got into the anime because I was confused myself!

I did not get a definite answer, but here is his name in Japanese: 九角天童 Broken down into simpler hiragana by Japanese info sites: こづぬ てんどう and this reads Kozunu Tendou. But because years ago the gamers always added the phonetic "d" sound, I've opted to do the phonetic spelling (Kodzunu) out of respect - since 9 years is a long time to be gaming it before an anime; and it just looks cooler!

Due to the nature of writing Japanese into English, other completely acceptable spellings of his first name are Tendō and Tendoh. I just choose to write it Tendou because the hiragana says the "u" (う) should be there... Although, that in itself is somewhat subjective; just look at the title broken down: とうきょうまじんがくえんけんぷうちょう (Toukyou Majin Gakuen Kenpuuchou) and I don't actually write it out as such. Technically, they are all correct. *shrugs*
Modified by hlwar, 05-01-11, 5:42 PM

05-09-11, 4:34 PM

I'm sorry to "revive" this, but I was rereading and since I recently rewatched it again, I have some comments--

About
There's actually multiple showcases that Kyouichi might be connected to Tatsuma as well, whether a show of their true friendship or just by sharing the same Dragon Vein power, who knows. But at the end, we see Tatsuma and Yagyuu battling (the "Cherry blossom that does not fall" moment) and it instantly flashes to Kyouichi standing under the sakura tree, thinking. He muses to himself, "Would I just get in the way?" and then tells Aoi he knows Tatsuma is in China.

So, I don't know if the Tatsuma's sentence (だったら僕が知らない桜になる」 was translated as "I'll become the Cherry Blossom that won't fall." or not. I guess it could be translated as that. (It literally says, I'll become an 'unknown' cherry blossom' .. with 'unknown' having the meaning of being different of the rest etc.)
(I never watched this with english translations so... anyway),

That's not really what I wanted to comment, Aoi was repeatedly standing there as well right? Also, she went there again at that time.
Basically either the link is through the dragon veins as you mentioned, because Aoi -did- notice it and went to the sakura. Notice that Komaki also headed there?

Or Tatsuma is basically connected to the Sakura trees. I mean, every time they were thinking about Tatsuma, they would stand (by) or (below) the sakura. But, Tatsuma only talked to Kyouichi (and Mary Claire & possibly Kisaragi)--

Kyouichi didn't mutter his "be in the way" as a question, but as a reconfirmation that someone told him he would be.
「足手纏いか。。。わかっちゃいるが。。。」
"I'll be in the way, huh? ... I know, but..." (I'll go there anyway)

(As for why he didn't tell/talk to Aoi, Komaki or Daigo-- the most simple reason would be his personality. He knows that they don't want to fight, and doesn't want to force them to fight. He'd actually prefer Kyouichi remaining behind as well, but...)

The last part/vision, with Kyouichi saying he'll beat Tatsuma awake makes it seem that Tatsuma took out Yagyuu, or sealed Yagyuu. At the cost of himself/consciousness/something like that, because Tatsuma basically told him, "I'm here."
Since I doubt Tatsuma would reveal where he is, if Kyouichi would be basically just get KO-ed after one second or they'd relocate before he can do anything.

Though, this is just my own view of it.
I mean, you can read Kyouichi's sentence as him telling that "he doesn't have to fight alone" for all that matters.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices