Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2010 9:43 PM

Oct 2008
What was wrong with leaving it as "The Old Crocodile"??
It's even narrated in English, and no, that's not after being dubbed. That's how it originally was. Which makes changing it's title to Japanese even sillier. All these changes to the database are fagging up MAL.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 8, 2010 11:47 PM

Dec 2007
What do you have against Japanese names?
Jul 9, 2010 12:07 AM

Oct 2008
it's not that i have anything against them. but, going to the trouble of changing the already fine-as-they-are english titles of various anime and manga into their japanese names is ridiculous (i'd feel the same if they started changing jap names back to english, mind you).

the title as it is now means nothing to me and most likely to the majority of MAL's users. Whereas the English title is more easily recognisable, and it actually makes sense for those that can't read jap. the same goes for all the other stuff they're changing lately, ie. the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, the world god only knows, etc.

Maybe i'm overreacting but it's annoying, and the mods don't seem to care that some people are like "wtf are you doing", and they haven't good enough reasoning for going to the effort of doing it in the first place.
simo000Jul 9, 2010 12:10 AM
Jul 9, 2010 12:10 AM
Mar 2009
The thing is, was the name of it when it was being sold in Japan in English or Japanese?

Cos I think that's what they're trying for, going with what the Japanese know it as.

Though if it's narrated in English you have to wonder.

Jul 9, 2010 12:12 AM

Oct 2008
chinlamp said:
The thing is, was the name of it when it was being sold in Japan in English or Japanese?

Cos I think that's what they're trying for, going with what the Japanese know it as.

Though if it's narrated in English you have to wonder.

Yeah it seems that's what they're going for. I just don't get why. Sure we watch Japanese shows, but most users don't actually live in Japan, and most are English speakers as well. I'm wondering what's to gain from changing the names. And getting frustrated in the process of wondering haha....

oh btw man how've you been? haven't spoken to you in aaages
Jul 9, 2010 12:19 AM

Dec 2007
We Japanese prefer anime names in Japanese more than English names though. Same for you guys, you prefer TV / movie shows in your own language.
Do you think, little children here understand what "The Old Crocodile" with an English name means? I guess not.
Jul 9, 2010 12:25 AM
Jul 2008
Kanade-chan said:
Do you think, little children here understand what "The Old Crocodile" with an English name means? I guess not.
Sadly to say this is not a ''little children'' anime.

In my view all titles on MAL should be in original. So if the title was produced in English it should stay that way. Same goes for Japanese ofc.
Jul 10, 2010 12:55 AM

Oct 2008
Kanade-chan said:
We Japanese prefer anime names in Japanese more than English names though. Same for you guys, you prefer TV / movie shows in your own language.

Yes but this is a site aimed at English speaking people, not those that speak Japanese. If this site were in Japanese, and most of its users were Japanese, then understandably most of the anime titles would also be in Japanese. And also I doubt any little kids would visit this site.
But anyway enough arguing. I've decided I'm overreacting, and there are a lot of anime that were originally released with English titles anyway. So, I agree with Meri. APOLOGIES EVERYONE
Sep 3, 2010 12:01 AM

Feb 2010
BigSimo said:
Yes but this is a site aimed at English speaking people, not those that speak Japanese. If this site were in Japanese, and most of its users were Japanese, then understandably most of the anime titles would also be in Japanese. And also I doubt any little kids would visit this site.
But anyway enough arguing. I've decided I'm overreacting, and there are a lot of anime that were originally released with English titles anyway. So, I agree with Meri. APOLOGIES EVERYONE

I don't think you're overreacting at all. I'm glad you brought this issue to the table, and I agree with your remarks. As for myself, I find it hard to keep track of Japan-ized titles because they carry no meaning besides pronunciation. If anything, shows should be listed under their English names for sake of consistency and easy identification. If MAL wants to keep Japanese titles, put them in (parenthesis) next to the official English title.
Sep 3, 2010 12:15 AM

Aug 2009
I'm also with what OP has mentioned....from what I believe, MAL was intended for an english audience and if it wanted to stick to its original then you might as well have left it in kanji. There are some titles that I have gotten used to in their Japanese titles but for ones where even the fansubbers have left them as is(eg. The World God Only Knows), I don't see why MAL should have to change them. If they were ever to get published outside of Japan, they'd most likely be in english anyways and not Japanese
Sep 5, 2010 4:35 AM

Sep 2009
This is dumb.
You really overreacting bitching about some stupid title.
Nov 6, 2010 1:26 PM

Feb 2009
Well, if the title was originally released in English, why change it? What's wrong with "The Old Crocodile"?

I mean, it makes no sense to change it to Japanese whatsoever.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Old Crocodile Episode 1 Discussion

Retro8bit - Sep 19, 2009

8 by PxHC »»
May 2, 2023 6:32 AM

» Knowledge

shegoblin - Jul 28, 2008

2 by Contemporary0091 »»
Feb 3, 2018 6:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.