Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2010 11:56 PM

Dec 2009
So has anybody else read the original manga? What are your thoughts on it, compared to the anime, or even videogame?

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho is an embodiment of the videogame (probably moreso than the anime version), and yet it does seem to differ in character subplots (from what I've read since I have never played the games). For instance, the anime uses Sayo and Sagaya more like their roles in the game, but the anime hacked out a great deal of characters that are actually in the manga. No wonder the fans can't seem to come together for this franchise - no stability.

My biggest disappointment was discovering that Tendou Kodzunu was left out of the manga! I didn't really care for his original concept in the games (both design and personality) so I was interested in seeing his role in the spin-off manga. But, he's not there. His involvment seems to have been absorbed into mostly Munetaka Yagyuu, and somewhat of Kaosu.

Here are some scans to show what I mean:
hlwarMay 7, 2011 10:25 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 11, 2010 11:44 PM

Dec 2009
Anybody want to see how the anime characters look in their original manga form? ;)

Tatsuma Hiyuu

Kyouichi Houraiji

Aoi Misato

Yuuya Daigo

Komaki Sakurai

Click the Spoiler button to see the rest of the cast:
Aug 12, 2010 12:35 AM

Dec 2009
Oh, by the way, I've also scanned the rest of the manga covers and added them to MAL. You can view the pictures here.

There isn't much life on the manga's MAL forum, either, but there is one thread for anybody interested: Art seems different from anime. Check it out! :)
Sep 1, 2010 7:24 PM

Dec 2009
I just had a rather random question: I've been haphazardly trying to translate certain scenes in the volumes, and I came upon Liu Xianyue talking about "Genma-dono". Genma is Tatsuma Hiyuu's biological father in the anime... but who is he in the manga? And how does Xianyue know him? I wasn't finding any specific details...
Jan 4, 2011 6:49 PM

Dec 2010
The art is so diffrent! Kyouichi and Inugami look the closest to their anime form, though Komaki, Chaos, Aoi, Claire, basically everyone else looks so diffrent!! It's just so...odd. I like the anime form better, but that won't stop me from buying the manga. :) I want to read it....once I get translations or can read Japanese on my own.

But yeah...Not ot impressed on the art compared to the anime if I say so myself. but still good.
Huh? What?! A zoo? A world zoo?! Do not touch or feed the nations?! ~ Spain, Hetaoni
May 7, 2011 10:53 PM

Dec 2009
If anybody was interested in checking out the "Ryu Ryu" manga, you can read the first couple chapters in English translation at Manga Volume, MangaFox, or Animea.net.

Does anyone know if they ever completed this manga-ized adaption of the anime? It's only available up to a third book at Amazon.jp, released in 2008, but the one-line synopsis they provide doesn't say much for closure.

I'm not fond of the childish artwork, and it doesn't provide anything different or new from the anime, so I've dropped it from my list, but I would find it sad if they just leave it hang in limbo. I hope it's finished, or finishing. o_O

As a parting pondering, I never understood why it's become known as "Ryu Ryu" in English? As far as I've seen, Ryuryu (龍龍) = Tou (トウ). Although how that translates, I still don't know.
May 6, 2012 4:02 PM

Apr 2012
You so beat me to this! I found the Ryu Ryu style today while searching for an english translation of the origional Tokyo Majin manga. I find the art rather cute compared to the roughness, but I guess it worked out.

I wonder whether or not if it is still in progress or if they quit after the first two chapters of Ryu Ryu. I would like to see this turned into a grab and buy sort of manga, but i'm not really sure.
Whoever said anything was possible, never tried slamming a revolving door.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Questions, theories and facts (spoilers & pic heavy)

hlwar - Aug 5, 2010

48 by Timbauros »»
Mar 2, 2021 2:40 PM

» Tokyo Majin Gakuen Games

hlwar - Jun 3, 2013

1 by Yuki_Nitta »»
Jul 30, 2016 10:26 PM

» [CLOSED] Member Cards

hlwar - Jul 15, 2010

40 by hlwar »»
Jan 5, 2013 11:04 AM

» ACID ♫♪

hlwar - May 4, 2010

18 by hlwar »»
Jan 5, 2013 10:54 AM

» Claim a Character [Round One OPEN]

hlwar - Sep 9, 2010

8 by KyousukeImadori »»
Dec 7, 2012 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.