Forum Settings
Forums
New
Chobits or Elfen Lied?
Apr 27, 2008 4:52 AM

Apr 2008
Recommendation say that their alike in many ways. I think I'll only watch one of them for now. So please vote for what's better.

Apr 27, 2008 4:54 AM
Feb 2008
They're anything but alike.
Apr 27, 2008 4:57 AM

Nov 2007
Incomparable. This is a stupid poll. They're entirely different genres, with completely different methods of telling their stories.
May 3, 2008 11:23 AM

Apr 2008
Stupid recommendation, I must say. Recommendation say that they're alike the only difference is the gore. Oh well, watching Chobits EP20. I'll just try watching few EPs of Elfen Lied and see if it can prove its worth.

May 4, 2008 12:31 AM

Mar 2008
Chobits and Elfen Lied are both some of the greatest animes out there! (^_^)y
but its really hard for me to choose between both because both animes ahve their pros and cons.

Both have awesome storylines, though i prefer a storyline that is towards psychology or sociology (like Welcome to the NHK). Elfen Lied has bullyying, depression, pedophilia, killer mindset, happiness, and etc. I'm watching it for the 2nd time today.

Chobits is all about teaching a walking laptop how to live life, which is why im not wathcing chobits again... The lady saying 'chi' over and over again gets annoying...

It all depends on your taste.
May 4, 2008 12:33 AM

Mar 2008
OH you have cute gif btw! Best scene in Kanon, lol!
May 4, 2008 12:54 AM

Nov 2007
luvisuzu said:

Chobits is all about teaching a walking laptop how to live life, which is why im not wathcing chobits again... The lady saying 'chi' over and over again gets annoying...

I think you missed the major point of Chobits' story, which was actually somewhat deep and dealing with real psychological issues (various illicit relationships aside from the primary one) -- it's all about human relations, companionship, and to a lesser degree, sexual attraction. There are several key sub-stories of various relationships;

There are other sub-plots within it too, but saying it's not about psychology or sociology is entirely wrong, because that's what the whole story is about. Most, if not all CLAMP stories are about taboo relationships and other psychological and sociological issues.
May 4, 2008 12:59 AM

Jul 2007
I'm not going to vote because Chobits and Elfen Lied are absolutely nothing alike aside from the fact Lucy only can say 'Nyu' when she is 'Nyu'. If you want to compare animes, i'd say DearS and Chobits are more alike, but still not quite the same.

May 4, 2008 1:07 AM

Feb 2008
A lot of people have said it correctly...both anime are great to watch and have different methods in telling their stories which are nothing alike.

I suggest that you don't exclude either and watch both. You definately won't regret it.
May 4, 2008 2:28 AM

Mar 2008
Anayu said:
I suggest that you don't exclude either and watch both. You definately won't regret it.

seconded...
indeed i find the two hard to compare due to differences and all...
(personally i enjoyed elfen lied more)

MAL list updates
May 4, 2008 3:09 AM

Mar 2008
They're both great series, but I prefer Elfen Lied over Chobits.
May 4, 2008 3:12 AM

Apr 2008
Alright I have decided. Adding Elfen Lied to list.

luvisuzu said:
OH you have cute gif btw! Best scene in Kanon, lol!

Kanon's the best for me and I'm a Makoto fan ^^

May 4, 2008 4:23 PM

Mar 2008
Asako said:
luvisuzu said:

I think you missed the major point of Chobits' story, which was actually somewhat deep and dealing with real psychological issues (various illicit relationships aside from the primary one) -- it's all about human relations, companionship, and to a lesser degree, sexual attraction. There are several key sub-stories of various relationships;

There are other sub-plots within it too, but saying it's not about psychology or sociology is entirely wrong, because that's what the whole story is about. Most, if not all CLAMP stories are about taboo relationships and other psychological and sociological issues.

thanks for pointing that out. I agree.
Jun 17, 2008 8:41 PM

Jun 2008
Stjeppe said:
Anayu said:

seconded...
indeed i find the two hard to compare due to differences and all...
(personally i enjoyed elfen lied more)

Thirded.
Jun 18, 2008 7:14 AM

Apr 2008
After watching Higurashi and seeing Elfen Lied in its recommendation. I can say that they're very different from each other.

Jun 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Feb 2008
Ugh. Elfen Lied of course. The best of Chobits was everything I disliked from Elfen Lied. =P

I don't like ecchi.
Jun 25, 2008 10:38 AM

Jan 2008
I would make a Cihan (TM) thread ridiculing MAL's recommendations, but I just cannot be bothered. I'll just agree with Asako's posts.

If you have to watch one, watch Chobits.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 27, 2008 4:23 PM

Jul 2007
Asako said:
luvisuzu said:

Unfortunately, the anime jumps around these subplots like they're patches of hot lava, and isn't shy about injecting filler wherever they feel like doing it. Chobits is a fantastic story, but it's most potent effect will be found in reading the manga, not watching the anime.

Chobits manga = Elfen Lied anime in mastery IMO.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 28, 2008 11:23 AM

Feb 2008
This topic isn't fair at all.
you posted it under the elfen lied anime, so of course everyone is going to vote for elfen.
I find it completely unjust that chobits be even compared to this anime.
it's ten times bettter.
Jun 28, 2008 11:24 AM

Feb 2008
Ryderj said:
Ugh. Elfen Lied of course. The best of Chobits was everything I disliked from Elfen Lied. =P

I don't like ecchi.

then why do you like elfen lied?
Jun 30, 2008 5:35 AM

Jun 2008
Elfen Lied most def!!!

They're not really alike at all... Elfen Lied's more intense and it has a very deep and kinda emotional plot to it..... Chobits is just like a shoujo comedy type thing... you can't really put them in the same category at all >.<

Sig WILL change soon~
Jun 30, 2008 5:51 AM

Jan 2008
This thread should have been moved to Anime forum really.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 5, 2008 4:50 AM

Feb 2008
From what I've seen of Chobits it doesn't even compare to the greatness of Elfen Lied.
Jul 8, 2008 1:03 AM

Feb 2008
tweetlepie said:
Ryderj said:

I don't like ecchi.

then why do you like elfen lied?
Don't you see more to Elfen Lied than just boobs? :P I could rant for a while on the reasons I love it so, but sadly I don't have the time right now.
Jul 25, 2008 11:52 PM

Mar 2008
Sadly, I loved Elfen Lied until we recieved that horrible 13th episode, it left us all going wth just happened? Honestly I think the publisher of this anime really went and rushed the last episode into production to meet deadlines or this series would have captured me past the 12 episodes I really enjoyed, sure after the first 3 minutes of the first episode I was like WTF? but I truly enjoyed it, but heres my thing, I voted Chobits. Why? I dont know, maybe the fact of the matter was that there was more a stronger tie to relationships in Chobits and I like romances, but this series had so many loopholes and guessing going on that most of us were paying attention to yet another guard getting torn to pieces (very amusing though :-P) I just think that Elfen had so much more potential that wasnt followed up by a strong ending (at least clamp made that 27th episode to solve all the questions for chobits).
Aug 3, 2008 10:05 PM

Aug 2008
Chobits and Elfen Lied are such different types of shows. I agree with those that say it doesn't make much sense to compare. But, it is amusing that this was put in the Elfen Lied discussion. If this was put in Chobits probably the poll results would be quite different. :) That said...despite how much I like romance anime series. I did surprisingly like Elfen Lied. Maybe even slightly more. It was a very interesting story. Although, abit short of course.
Aug 4, 2008 11:09 AM

Jul 2008
the best solution is to watch both. panoorin mo nalang pareho.(you understand tagalog don't you?)

Aug 20, 2012 11:27 AM

Jun 2012
As stated above they are anything but alike, I have seen Chobits and it was pretty good for reasons unknown to me. Elfen lied comes highly recommended by many. Both are worth watching but because they are not alike voting really seems pointless because we were supposed to be answering which is better considering they were similar which they are not.

You'll just have to watch both :)
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 20, 2012 11:31 AM
Sep 2010
I have not finished chobits nor, started Elfen Lied both look good, but I don't think they should be compared.

More topics from this board

» Your favorite favorite of the above favorites v2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zedlin - Jan 18, 2023

3561 by DoctorWasabi »»
56 seconds ago

» Rate the anime opening/ending above you v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Jul 25, 2021

4482 by Lscala »»
57 seconds ago

» Quote a user out of context ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 13, 2022

613 by ToastWithNutella »»
1 minute ago

» Try to guess the right MAL score ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lscala - Feb 3, 2022

1524 by SnipeStrike »»
3 minutes ago

» Harshly judge the user above you based on their dropped list ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KatsutoSaki - Jan 30, 2018

1617 by Lscala »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.